The former captain of the cricket team, Virat Kohli, has accomplished a major milestone in his career by scoring fastest 12000 Runs in ODI. This is one of the highest honours a batsman can achieve.
Virat has set a new record as the quickest batsman to achieve the 12,000-run mark. One of the most admired cricketers in the world, his ability to consistently score hundreds of runs has made him a fan favourite.
Table of Contents
Reaching 12000 Runs in ODI Cricket in the Fastest Time
Indian captain Virat Kohli became the fastest player in international cricket history to score 12,000 runs in the third one-day international (ODI) match against Australia in Canberra. This remarkable feat was completed in just 242 innings by him.
- The master blaster, Sachin Tendulkar, previously held this record, achieving it in 309 matches.
- Incredibly, Virat Kohli managed to surpass the legend’s record within 242 games.
- After 17 years of waiting, Sachin Tendulkar’s record has finally been broken by none other than Virat Kohli who has earned himself the title of “Sabse Tej 12000 Runs in ODI”!
List of batsman who achieved 12000 runs in ODI cricket in the fastest possible time.
Apart from Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar has also achieved 12000 runs in ODI with 300 innings. This remarkable feat has been accomplished by other batsmen as well, who have made it to the list of the quickest to reach 12000 runs in ODI. Here is a list of those names.
- Ricky Ponting achieved it on his 314 innings.
- Kumar Sangakkara achieved it on his 336 innings.
- Sanath Jayasuriya achieved it on his 379 innings.
India achieved 12,000 runs in ODI cricket quicker than any other country.
One-day international cricket is a contest between international teams that features one inning per team and a restriction of 50 overs each inning, in contrast to previous test matches.
- Players participating in one-day internationals should be fully recognized by the International Cricket Council.
- Furthermore, any members reaching the 12000 runs milestone in ODIs will be considered a milestone.
- Virat Kohli set the record in a game in which India scored 303 runs.
- Despite Kohli impressive performance, the rest of the batters failed to contribute to a win for the Indian cricket team.
- As a result the Australian team won the series with a two-nil score.
What enabled Virat Kohli to become the Fastest to Reach 12000 Runs in ODI?
Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin Tendulkar’s record by reaching 12000 ODI runs faster. It took Sachin 463 ODIs to accumulate a total of 18,426 runs at an average of 44.93, and he scored 49 centuries.
- Virat Kohli reached this milestone during the 3rd ODI against Australia held at Manuka Oval in Canberra, in his 242nd innings.
- He has accumulated over 12,000 runs with an average of under 60, scoring 43 centuries.
- Kohli has a typical batting style which includes running hard between the wickets.
Virat Kohli Runs in ODIs
|1000 runs||24 Innings|
|2000 runs||53 Innings|
|3000 runs||75 Innings|
|4000 runs||93 Innings|
|5000 runs||114 Innings|
|6000 runs||136 Innings|
|7000 runs||161 Innings|
|8000 runs||175 Innings|
|9000 runs||194 Innings|
|10000 runs||205 Innings|
|11000 runs||222 Innings|
|12000 runs||242 Innings|
12000 Runs in ODI Player List
Here’s a look at the fastest players to reach 12,000 runs in ODIs:
|Player||Number of innings|
Fastest 12000 Runs in ODI FAQs
The Indian women’s cricket team has not yet reached this milestone.
Virat Kohli was the pioneer to achieve this accomplishment. His extraordinary batting abilities made him the quickest to amass 12000 runs in ODI.
India’s maiden One Day International (ODI) match was held at the Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat in 1974. England emerged victorious from the game, beating India by 5 wickets.
Fakhar Zaman tallied 1000 runs in ODI, Hashim Amla registered between 2000 and 7000 runs in ODI, and Virat Kohli became the quickest to reach 12000 ODI runs, which is from 8000 up to 12000.
Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar, Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya, and Ricky Ponting have all scored 12000 runs in ODI, having played 251, 309, 359, 390, and 323 matches respectively.