UPSC CDS 2022 exam is known as the Union Public Service Commission Combined Defense Services exam. UPSC CDS exam is the most awaited national-level exam which is conducted by UPSC. UPSC conducts the CDS exam twice a year, first in February known as CDS-I and second in November known as CDS-II. The main purpose of conducting this exam is to recruit eligible and interested candidates who want to serve their country by joining Indian Defense Services. Candidates who want to join the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force can appear for this exam for CDS-I or CDS-II.
|Apply For Admissions 2021 (Open Now)|
|Lovely Professional University, Punjab|
|Chandigarh University, Punjab|
|GD Goenka University, Gurgaon|
|Manav Rachna, Haryana|
After qualifying for the UPSC CDS exam, qualified candidates are recruited as Commissioned Officers in the Indian Army, Indian Navy, and Indian Air Force. To qualify for this exam candidates have to go through the Written exam and then the SSB interview process. The UPSC CDS exam is held as Pen-Paper based and applications for the same will be accepted in online mode.
The candidates who will qualify all the process of recruitment will undergo a training period at the IMA (Indian Military Academy), AFA (Air Force Academy), INA (Indian Naval Academy), and OTA (Officers’ Trainee Academy).
The details regarding the UPSC CDS 2022 exam have been provided in the article below, so readers are suggested to read this entire article without skipping any point.
UPSC CDS 2022 Overview
|Name of Examination||UPSC Combined Defence Services Examination 2022|
|Popularly Known As||UPSC CDS 2022|
|Conducting Authority||UPSC (Union Public Service Commission)|
|Purpose of Exam||To recruit eligible candidates as Commissioned Officers in the Indian Army, Indian Navy, and Indian Air Force|
|No. of Vacancies||To be announced|
|Exam level||National level|
|Exam frequency||Twice a year|
|Exam mode||Online i.e. Computer Based Test|
|Exam mode||120 minutes|
|Application fee||Rs. 200/-|
|The medium of Question Paper||Bilingual i.e.English and Hindi|
|No. of the test cities||41|
UPSC CDS 2022 Important Dates
The Combined Defense Services exam is conducted by UPSC twice a year, first in February and second in November. These exams are named CDS- I and CDS -II respectively.
|Events||CDS-I 2022 Exam Dates|
|CDS-II 2022 Exam Dates (Tentative)|
|CDS 2022 Notification releases on||October 2021||August 2022|
|CDS 2022 Commencement of Application form||October 2021||August 2022|
|Last date of application form submission||November 2021||August 2022|
|CDS 2022 Admit card releasing date||January 2022||October/ November 2022|
|CDS 2022 Exam date||February 2022||November 2022|
|Commencement of CDS 2022 Result||To be notified soon||To be notified soon|
|SSB Interview date||To be notified soon||To be notified soon|
|CDS 2022 final cutoff releasing date||To be notified soon||To be notified soon|
Note– All the dates mentioned above are based on the previous year’s exam dates, the actual exam date for UPSC CDS 2022 are yet to be announced. The latest and exact dates will be updated just after the release of the official notification for UPSC CDS 2022.
UPSC CDS 2022 Vacancy Details
The detailed information about posts and vacancies for CDS 2022 will be published on the official of UPSC. UPSC will release the notification for both CDD-I and CDS-II, along with the notification of the respective exam, the no. of vacancies will be revealed. Given below tables of vacancies will be updated after the release of official notification.
UPSC CDS Vacancy Detail
|Name of the Course||Vacancies CDS (I)||Vacancies CDS (II)|
|Air Force Academy, Hyderabad—(Pre-Flying) Training||___||___|
|Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala||___||___|
|Indian Military Academy, Dehradun||___||___|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai(SSC-Women)||___||___|
|Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai (SSC-Men)||___||___|
UPSC CDS 2022 Salary Details
The candidates who will be selected as officers in different defense services (Army, Navy, Air Force) will get salaries as per the level of the posts. The detailed information about the officer’s salary is given below in the following table.
CDS Posts and Salaries
|Rank||Grade Pay||Military Service Pay||Pay Scale|
UPSC CDS 2022 Application Process
The application form for UPSC CDS-I 2022 and UPSC CDS-II 2022 will be open tentatively in October 2021 and August 2022 respectively. For both CDS-I and CDS-II, the application will be accepted virtually only no other mode will be entertained. The application procedure has two parts, part-I is the registration process while part-II is the form filling and application fee process. The whole process of filling the application form from start to end is discussed below:
How to Apply for the UPSC CDS 2022 Exam?
- Candidates first have to visit the website of UPSC i.e. upsc.gov.in / upsconline.nic.in.
- Go to the notification section and then click on the Part-I link, given for the UPSC CDS exam.
- Here candidates have to fill in their Personal and Academic Qualification details.
- Once the details are filled in, click on the submit button to submit the registration form.
- After submitting the UPSC CDS registration form, the system will generate a login credential for every individual and sent it to the registered mail id & contact number.
- In the next step, Candidates have to move on to Part II.
- Here they have to fill in their credential that was provided at the time of registration.
- Enter the Registration No. / Registration ID and then DoB (date of birth).
- Here candidates have to fill in some additional information such as Exam center, Category detail, Gender, etc (whatever is required).
- Now candidates have to upload their recent photograph and handwritten permanent signature in the specified format prescribed in the official notification/ information brochure.
- Now, in the last, candidates will have to complete the payment process by paying the required application fee as per their category.
Documents required while filling the application form of UPSC CDS
- The photo should be scanned, neat, and clear and the background of the photo should be white.
- The signature of the candidates has been done on white paper with a black point ball-pen and it should be visible clearly.
|Document||File Format||File Size||Resolution (Height*Width)||Bit Depth|
|Photograph||.jpg||(20- 300) KB||(350*350) pixel – (1000*1000)pixel||24 Bit|
|Signature||.jpg||(20-300) KB||(350*350) pixel – (1000*1000)pixel||24 Bit|
- Important fields in the application form will be pointed as an asterisk (*) symbol.
- The application form of UPSC CDS can be filled in any of the desired languages English / Hindi.
UPSC CDS 2022 Eligibility Criteria
To apply for UPSC CDS 2022, the candidate must be:
- An Indian
- A subject of Bhutan/ Nepal/ Tibetan Refugees who came to the country (India with the intention of permanent settlement) before January 01, 1962.
- An Indian origin individual who came with the intention of permanent settlement from foreign countries like Srilanka/ Pakistan/ Kenya/Uganda/ Vietnam/ Zaire/ Zambia/Malawi/ Ethiopia/ Tanzania.
- Indian Military Academy and Officers Training Academy, Chennai: Eligible candidates must have acquired a bachelor’s degree (B.A./ B.Sc./B.Com, etc) from a recognized institute/ university.
- Indian Naval Academy: Eligible candidates must have acquired a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (B.E./B.Tech.) from a recognized institute/ university.
- Air force Academy: Eligible candidates must have acquired a bachelor’s degree along with 10+2 in the subjects Maths & Physics. Those candidates who have acquired B.E./ B.Tech. from a recognized institute/ university are also eligible to apply for Indian Air Force Academy.
- The age limit of the candidates should lie between 20- 24 years old.
Gender Requirements for Several Posts
|Department||Gender (Marital Status)|
|Indian Air Force Academy||Male (Unmarried)|
|Indian Military Academy||Male (Unmarried)|
|Indian Naval Academy||Male (Unmarried)|
|Officer Training Academy||Male (Married/Unmarried)|
|Officer Training Academy||Female (Unmarried)|
UPSC CDS 2022 Exam Pattern
The exam of UPSC CDS 2022 consists of two stages:
- Written Exam
- SSB interview
The exam pattern of UPSC CDS is the same for IMA, INA, and IAFA while the exam pattern for OTA is different from others. All the detailed process of exam pattern of UPSC CDS 2022 is given below.
Exam Scheme for CDS 2022
|Exam Mode||Offline (i.e. Pen-paper based test)|
|Type of Questions||Objective type (Multiple Choice Questions)|
|Exam Duration||02 hour (for each paper)|
|No. of Questions||120 questions (for each paper)|
|Maximum Marks||100 marks (for each paper)|
|The medium of the Exam||Bilingual i.e. English & Hindi for Elementry Maths & GK English for English Paper only|
|Marking Scheme||0.33 marks will be deducted for an incorrect answer|
Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy
|Subject||No. of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|General Knowledge||120||100||2 hours|
Officers’ Training Academy
|Subject||No. of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|General Knowledge||120||100||2 hours|
UPSC CDS 2022 Exam Syllabus
The syllabus of UPSC CDS consists of mainly 3 sections: Maths, English, and General Knowledge (except for OTA Chennai). The detailed syllabus of all these 3 sections is given below. Candidates can download the pdf of the detailed CDS syllabus from the official website of UPSC.
|English||Synonyms Basic Grammar Error Spotting Antonyms Comprehension Solving Para Jumbles|
UPSC CDS Elementary Mathematics Syllabus
|Number System||Addition Subtraction Decimal fractions Division Multiplication Integers Natural numbers Rational and Real numbers Square roots Percentages Unitary method Variation Fundamental operations Time and Work Ration and Proportion Time and Distance Profit and Loss Application to Simple and Compound Interest.|
|Algebra||H.C.F. and L.C.M. Simple Factors Theory of Polynomials Remainder Theorem Solutions of Quadratic Equations Rational expressions and conditional identities Set language and Set Notion Laws of indices. The relation between its roots and coefficients Practical Problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable and their solutions.|
|Elementary Number Theory||Division Algorithm Prime and Composite numbers Factorization Theorem Tests of Divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, and 11 Use of Logarithm tables. Multiples and factors H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm Logarithms to base 10, Laws of Logarithms|
|Geometry||Lines and Angles Planes and Plane Figures Theorems on: Similar Triangles Loci Sides and angles of a triangle The concurrence of medians and altitudes Congruency of triangles Parallel Lines Properties of angles, side, and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle, and square Circles and their properties including tangents and norma Properties of angles at a point|
|Trigonometry||Use of trigonometric tables Simple cases of heights and distances Simple Trigonometric identities Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos ×, and tan ×, for ×= 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°|
|Mensuration||Area of squares Area of parallelograms Area of triangles Lateral Surface and Volume of Right Circular Cones and Cylinders Surface area and Volume of Cuboids Surface area and Volume of spheres Area of circles Area of rectangles Area of figures which can be split into these figures (Field Book)|
|Statistics||Bar charts Histograms Graphical Representation Collection and tabulation of statistical data Frequency Polygons Pie charts Measures of central tendency|
UPSC CDS General Knowledge Syllabus
|G.K.||Current events (Knowledge of both national and international events) Indian and world history Indian constitution Geography Defense current events|
UPSC CDS 2022 Exam Preparation
It is considered that any exam conducted by UPSC is ought to be analytical and tough. Since UPSC conducts the CDS exam so you can consider this exam to be of Moderate to High level. Especially if we talk about the Static General Knowledge then the difficulty level is no high because the paper is designed from an analytical perspective. But still, if we compare the written part with other UPSC exams then we will find it easy as compared to others.
The crucial and tricky part is the CDS interview process i.e.SSB interview. It plays an important role in your selection, in this phase of selection overall personality of the candidates will be tested.
Preparation Strategy for Maths: For this part, candidates require a lot of practice for the questions with speed and accuracy otherwise the questions will not be complete in the exam hall. There will 100 questions asked in the exam that has to be completed in 120 minutes. So for every question, you will get approximately 1 minute 20 seconds only.
Preparation Strategy for English: For the English paper, candidates will have to work on their vocabulary part. Also, candidates are advised to read the newspaper of their choice and read an editorial from there, this will help you in the GK paper as well as improves your reading comprehension part. If you can’t read a newspaper daily then you can read any book, any novel, etc of your choice.
Preparation Strategy for General Knowledge: For the GK part, candidates will have to read History, Geography, Civics, Politics, economics, and general science. For current affairs, candidates are preferred to read newspapers, weekly compilation, and monthly compilation.
To make your preparation better, you should solve the Previous Year’s Question papers and Mock test as more as possible.
UPSC CDS Previous Papers
The previous year papers will work as a guide for you. It will clarify that which part is important as per the exam perspective. Solve previous year section-wise questions first and then solve the full-length paper. After solving the PYQs you will have an idea about the important and non-important topics. When you will try to solve PYQs then at the end, you will able to analyze your weak spots in the syllabus and also will have the idea that how to execute concepts in questions.
UPSC CDS Mock and Sample papers
After the end of the preparation, candidates will have to give mock tests as more as possible. While giving mock tests you will get familiar with the latest pattern of questions that will help you in the main exam. Give mock tests of different institutes because when you solve the different mock tests then you will able to find the similarity and differences between different types of questions. The most important part after giving a mock test is to analyze it.
UPSC CDS 2022 Reference Books
To start your preparation for UPSC CDS, the following books are recommended for the study purpose.
- CDS (Combined Defence Services) Examination Guide By R. Gupta
- Pathfinder CDS Examination Conducted by UPSC
- Oxford English Grammar Course: Basic with Answers CD-ROM Pack
- Quick GK 2021 with Current affairs update
- Chapter-wise Solved papers CDS Combined Defence Services Examination By Arihant Publications
UPSC CDS 2022 Coaching Centres
Various coaching centers in the country India offers guidance for the CDS exam, some of the popular mentioned coaching centers are:
- Cavalier India
- The Lakshya Academy
- Olive green Academy
- Baalnoi Academy
- Minerva Academy
UPSC CDS 2022 Admit Card
The UPSC CDS 2022 admit card will commence releasing in January 2022 for CDS-I 2022. The admit card will be available online on the website of UPSC. The candidate should point out that no postal service for admit card will be provided to the candidate’s doorstep, they have to download it on their own from the official website.
How to Download UPSC CDS 2022 Admit Card?
- First of all, open the UPSC website. i.e. www.upsc.gov.in. and then go to the ‘Admit Card link’ section.
- Under this section, you will find various UPSC exam admit card link, from the list you have to choose on UPSC CDS admit card option under the ‘View Online’ column.
- After clicking on the link, you will find a new window where you have to click on the admit card download link.
- Now candidates have to put their registration id and password (as per the requirement).
- After entering the details, an E-admit card will appear there on the screen.
- Now download the E-admit card and keep it safe for future references.
At the examination center, candidates have to carry either of the following document:
- Voter Card
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Driving Licence
- Any other Photo ID Card
UPSC CDS 2022 Exam Center
The UPSC CDS exam is conducted across the country in 41 cities. The allotment of the exam center will be issued on a first-come, first-serve basis. At exam centers except for some cities (Chennai, Delhi, Dispur, Kolkata, and Nagpur) have a limit on the total no. of candidates to apply for the CDS exam. The list of all the exam cities for the UPSC CDS exam are as follows:
Documents required at the Exam Centre
Following documents are needed to carry at the exam center:
- UPSC CDS 2022 Admit Card
- A valid photo proof ID Card
UPSC CDS 2022 Result
The result of UPSC CDS 2022 will be out in two phases, one after the completion of the written exam and the second after the completion of the SSB interview round. Both the result will be accessible on the official website of UPSC i.e. upsc.gov.in. To check the results, click the ‘Active Examinations’ link.
The result of the written exam consists of the Names of qualified candidates, Roll no., and the Academy name. Those candidates whose names will appear in the list will receive a call letter for the next round of the SSB interview process.
After the completion of the SSB interview followed by a medical test, the final result will be uploaded on the UPSC’s website. Qualified candidates have to report at the allotted academy along with the necessary documents.
How to Download the UPSC CDS 2022 Result?
- First of all, open the official webpage of UPSC (www.upsc.gov.in) and then click on the ‘Active Examination’ link over there.
- After clicking on the Active Examination link, a new page will be paper there and candidates have to choose for the CDS exam only.
- Find and then click on the UPSC CDS 2022 result link.
- After clicking on the link, a pdf file of your result will appear there on the screen.
- Now open the pdf file and press ctrl+ F on the keyboard and enter your roll no. in the box to check the result quickly.
- The pdf file will contain the details of qualified candidates only.
- Now download the pdf and keep it safe for further processes.
UPSC CDS 2022 Answer Key
To give clarity about the marked answer by candidates in the exam paper, the UPSC will release an answer key. The official answer key will be released on the official website of UPSC only. To check the approximate marks, candidates can check their answer sheet with the answer key.
How To Download Answer Key?
Step 1: Open the website of UPSC i.e. www.upsc.gov.in
Step 2: Go to the notification section over there and under that click on the ‘Answer Key’ link.
Step 3: After clicking on the link, the Answer Key will be available to download in the pdf form.
Step 4: Now match your answer and click on the download button to download the answer key.
UPSC CDS 2022 Cut off
To be recruited in different and desired academies of CDS, candidates have to score more than minimum qualifying marks. In the CDS exam, candidates have to clear the sectional cutoff (minimum of 20% in each section/subject) as well, failing to which leads to disqualification for the next processes.
Generally, the cut-off marks for each of the three defense academies are different. Generally, The AFA (Air force Academy) cutoff rises high as compared to IMA (Indian Military Academy) & INA (Indian Naval Academy).
The OTA (Officer’s Training Academy) cut off is the lowest as compared to AFA, IMA, and INA.
Here we have given the previous year CDA-I exam cutoff to get an idea about the trends of marks.
|Air Force Academy||138|
|Indian Military Academy||118|
|Indian Navy Academy||98|
|Officer’s Training Academy (Women/Men)||69|
UPSC CDS 2022 Selection Criteria
The UPSC CDS selection will be based on the following phases:
- Written EXam
- SSB interview
- Medical Examination
- Document Verification
First of all, candidates will have to clear the UPSC CDS written exam, and then they need to clear the SSB Interview round, this round is very crucial for the selection and consists of two phases. After clearing the interview round candidates will call for a Medical examination and Document verification process.
After all the above-mentioned stages, a final merit list will be released on the official website of UPSC. A joining call letter will be sent to the qualified candidates to join the respective defense academy that they have chosen at their highest priority.
The detailed information about the selection criteria of the first two phases are given below:
- Phase 1: The first phase of selection is the UPSC CDS written exam, candidates have to clear this exam first to proceed for further rounds of selection.
- Phase 2: – The second phase of selection is the SSB interview. The interview consists of two stages as mentioned below.
- Stage I -Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) test – Candidates will be declared qualify for this round based on combined performance in Picture Perception, Descriptive Test, and Officer Intelligence Rating.
- Stage II – Psychology Tests, Interview, Conference, and Group Testing – In stage II of the interview round, Psychology Tests, Interview, Conference, and Group Testing will be tested. All these 4 tests will be held within four days.
After clearing the interview round, qualify candidates will call for the Document verification, and Medical Examination. Following documents are required for the DV (Document Verification).
- Joining Call letter
- UPSC CDS Admit Card
- Class Xth mark sheet
- Class XIIth mark sheet
- The graduation mark sheet and Certificate
- All other documents as specified by the board
UPSC CDS Contact Information
Facilitation Counter, Commissioner’s Office
011-23381125/ 011-23098543/ 011-23385271
UPSC CDS 2022 FAQs
What is the purpose of the UPSC CDS exam?
The purpose of the UPSC CDS exam is to recruit eligible candidates as Commissioned Officers in the Indian Navy, Indian Air Force, and Indian Army.
What is the age limit criteria for the UPSC CDS exam?
The required age limit for the UPSC CDS exam is 20 -24 years.
What is the official website to apply for the UPSC CDS exam?
The official website to apply for the UPSC CDS exam is www.upsc.gov.in/ www.upsconline.nic.in
How many sections will be there to qualify for the written exam?
In the UPSC CDS 2022 exam, there will be three sections in the written exam consists of Maths, G.K., and English.
Is there any negative marking criteria in the written exam?
Yes, a negative marking of 0.33 mark is there in the written exam.
How many total questions will be there in the written exam?
There will be a maximum of 360 questions in the written exam of INA, IMA, and AIFA.