UPSC IFoS 2022: Union Public Service Commission has released its Recruitment calendar for the year 2022 which consists of dates of all the exams conducted by it.
Candidates can check the calendar here.
Candidates can apply from the official website.
The Indian Forest Service (IFoS) is one of All India Services’ most prestigious services. The UPSC IFoS 2022 exam is part of the UPSC CSE (IAS) test. The examination is held once a year. The goal of this exam is to find Indian candidates for scientific forest management in India.
One of the three All India Services is IFS. The exam is for recruitment into India’s forestry services. The Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and the Indian Police Service are the other two All India Services (IPS).
The major responsibility of the IFS service is to carry out the National Forest Policy, which strives to maintain environmental stability and ecological balance. An IFS officer is generally self-contained from the district administration, with administrative, judicial, and financial authorities in their own area. IFS officers hold all of the senior jobs in the state forest agency.
Candidates who want to work for the Indian Forest Service must first take the UPSC test. The preliminary, mains, and personality tests are all part of the IFS selection process. Candidates can apply for the IFS exam via the Civil Services Examination’s standard online application form.
Responsibilities and Roles The following are some of the functions and responsibilities of an Indian Forest Service (IFS) officer:
- One of the key responsibilities of an IFS officer is to maintain and safeguard the forest’s heritage while also striving to preserve its resources.
- Another crucial responsibility that must be taken care of is the preservation of forest trees.
- As an officer, you must keep an eye on illicit tree logging and collaborate with forest guards and security officers to remain vigilant at all times.
- As an officer, you must work to increase the number of trees planted in the forest, as well as organize and participate in such events.
- Animals are another valuable forest resource, and as a forest officer, you must ensure their protection and prevent any illegal activity that harms or kills them.
- Being aware of poachers and unauthorized access into the forest region is also crucial as an officer.
- As an officer, you’ll be in charge of carrying out the National Forest Policy. As an officer, you’ll have to draw up plans for legitimate economic exploitation of timber and other resources.
- As an officer, you’ll be responsible for filling out paperwork and completing reports that must be submitted to the forest department and government.
- As an officer, you’ll be responsible for conducting regular forest surveys and ensuring that the work is done correctly. Travel will be included as well.
UPSC IFoS 2022-23 Highlights
|Name of Exam||IFS Exam|
|Acronym for||Indian Forest Service Exam|
|Organizing commission||Union Public Service Commission|
|Examination Conducting Mode||Offline|
|Number of Attempts||6|
|Indian Forest Service Official Website||ifs.nic.in|
UPSC IFoS 2022-22 Important Dates
The conducting authority has announced the IFoS 2022-2023 important dates. Candidates can check the table below to see the relevant dates for IFS 2022-2023.
|Release of Notification of UPSC IFoS||02 February 2022|
|Release of UPSC IFoS Application Form||02 February 2022|
|Release of UPSC IFoS Online Application Withdrawal link||To be Announced|
|Release of UPSC IFoS Admit Card||To be Announced|
|UPSC IFoS Prelims Exam Date||05 June 2022|
|Release of UPSC IFoS Prelims Result||To be Announced|
|UPSC IFoS Mains Exam Date||20 November 2022|
|Release of UPSC IFoS Mains Result||To be Announced|
|Release of UPSC IFoS Final Merit List||To be Announced|
UPSC IFoS 2022-23 Vacancy
There were around 110 positions announced in the official notification in 2021. Candidates belonging to the SC, ST, OBC, Economically Weaker Section (EWS), and PWD categories will be given preference accordingly. A few jobs have been reserved, according to the UPSC’s official statement. Check the details below.
|Number of Vacancies released||110|
|Low vision category: 2|
|Partially Deaf Category: 2|
|Locomotor disability (sub‐category: Leprosy cured and Acid attack): 1|
UPSC IFoS 2022 Salary and other Benefits
The UPSC IFoS salary is determined by the designation and location of employment. But it’s the opportunity to travel all around the country to some of the most beautiful sites that makes the work so appealing. Here’s how much you’ll be paid.
|Job Profile||Annual pay package|
|Assistant Inspector General of Forest||Rs. 10,00,000|
|Deputy Inspector General of Forest (Deputy Conservator of Forest)||Rs. 12,00,000|
|Inspector General of Forest (Chief Conservator of Forest)||Rs. 13,00,000|
|Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest||Rs. 14,00,000|
|Principal Chief Conservator of Forest||Rs. 15,00,000|
Apart from the in-hand wage, you will receive generous travel allowances as well as personal and well-furnished bungalows and quarters in some of the country’s most beautiful locales, regardless of where you are stationed.
Officers in the IFoS can be promoted based on their years of service, as well as their experience and skills gained during that time. In this department, there are positions such as forest range officer, which is an entry-level position.
UPSC IFoS 2022-2023 Eligibility Criteria
The IFS 2022-2023 eligibility criteria are defined by the organising committee. Before starting the registration procedure, candidates should make sure they meet the eligibility requirements. The following information is provided on the IFS 2022-2023 eligibility criteria.
- Candidates who are citizens of India are eligible to take this exam.
- Nepalese and Bhutanese citizens are able to apply for the exam.
- The exam is open to Tibetan exiles who arrived in India before January 1, 1962.
- Those with Indian ancestry who have relocated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African nations such as Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam can apply for the exam.
- Candidates belonging to the b, c, d, and e categories must have Indian government-issued proof of eligibility.
To be eligible for the exam, candidates must be between the ages of 21 and 32. The reduction of the maximum age limit varies for applicants who fall into one of the reserved groups listed below:
|Name of the category||Upper age limit|
|Candidates from Jammu & Kashmir||5 years|
|Defense Service Personnel||5 years|
|Ex-serviceman including Commissioned officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have provided at least 5-year service||5 years|
|Blind, Deaf and Orthopedically handicapped||10 years|
- Candidates must have completed a degree in Agriculture, Forestry, or Engineering from a recognised university, with at least one subject such as Botany, Chemistry, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, and Zoology.
- Students who have not yet completed their final graduation exams are also eligible to apply for the exam.
To apply for the examination, individuals must be physically fit.
Number of Attempts
- General Candidates: 9 attempts
- SC/ST: No restrictions
- Other Backward Classes: 9 attempts
- Physically handicapped for General and OBC: 9 attempts
UPSC IFoS 2022-23 Application Process
The IFS 2022-2023 application form is now available. The following is a step-by-step guidance for completing the IFS 2022-2023 application form.
Steps to fill the IFS 2022-2023 Application Form
- Visit the Indian Forest Service’s official website.
- Then select ‘What’s New.’
- After that, select ‘DAF–(IFS 2022-2023-23) Indian Forest Service Exam’ from the drop-down menu.
- The UPSC IFS 2022-2023 examination notification will appear on the screen.
- Candidates should attentively read the announcements.
- Register on the website by clicking on the ‘Part -1 Registration Link.’
- Fill in all of the relevant information requested by the online portal.
- Please upload all of the required documentation.
- Fill out the application form for IFS 2022-2023 and pay the application cost.
- Download the application form as well as the receipt for the fee.
- Make a copy of the document.
IFS 2022-2023 Application Fee
The application fee for IFS 2022-2023 can only be paid online. The application fee for the IFS 2022-2023 Exam can be paid by credit/debit card or net banking. The following are the specifics on the IFS 2022-2023 application fee.
|General and OBC||INR 100|
|SC/ST and Female||Exempted|
Note: The application cost will not be reimbursed once it has been paid.
IFS 2022-2023 Documents Required
- 12th Mark Sheet
- Degree Mark Sheet
- Scanned copy of signature and Photograph
- Caste certificate
- Net Banking information
- Valid mobile number and email
UPSC IFoS 2022-23 Exam Pattern
On the official UPSC website, the IFS test pattern will be released. Every year, a national Forest Service is held to hire deserving people as officers to oversee the scientific management of the country’s forests. The implementation of the National Forest Policy, which strives to ensure environmental stability and ecological balance, is required in the IFS service. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination, and Personality Test are the three stages of the IFS exam.
UPSC IFoS Prelims Exam Pattern
- There are two papers in the UPSC IFoS prelims: general studies 1 and general studies 2.
- Each paper is worth 200 marks, for a total of 400 marks in the preliminary exams.
- There are objective questions on both papers.
- Each question is worth one mark, with a negative marking of 0.33 mark if the answer is incorrect. If you do not attempt a question, you will not receive a bad grade.
- Candidates will be given two hours for each paper, for a total of four hours for the prelims exam.
|Paper||Subjects||Maximum Marks||Time Duration|
|Paper 1||General Studies||200||2 hours|
|Paper 2||Civil Services Aptitude Test||200||2 hours|
UPSC IFoS Mains Exam Pattern
- For the mains exam, you must complete six papers.
- Papers 1 and 2 are worth 300 marks apiece, whereas Papers 3, 4, 5, and 6 are for 200 marks each.
- The mains exam carries a total of 1400 marks.
- Each paper will be given three hours to the applicants.
- The papers are all descriptive in nature.
UPSC IFoS 2022 Syllabus
The conducting authorities has released the UPSC IFoS 2022 Syllabus (UPSC). The government of India recruits officers for the scientific management of its forests through UPSC IFS 2022, which is held at the national level. The Civil Service Preliminary test is used to select candidates for the UPSC IFoS Main entrance test. Candidates can learn more about the UPSC IFoS syllabus 2022 by reading the entire post.
Details of UPSC IFS 2022 Syllabus
The given list contains all of the syllabus details for the UPSC IFS 2022 test. The IFS exam is divided into two parts.
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
UPSC IFS 2022 Prelims Syllabus
The UPSC IFS 2022 exam will comprise of two question papers, each of which will be based on one of the topics listed below:
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and the Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography:
- Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance:
- Political System
- Panchayati Raj
- Public Policy
- Rights Issues
- Economic and Social Development:
- Sustainable Development
- Sector Initiatives
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change
- General Science.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy
- numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc (Class X level)
- Data interpretation
- charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc (Class X level)
UPSC IFS 2022 Main Syllabus
The UPSC IFS 2022 exam will comprise of six question papers, each of which will be based on one of the topics listed below:
- Candidates will be expected to produce an English-language essay. Other questions will be aimed to assess their knowledge of workmanship and English, such as word usage. In most cases, passages will be set for a summary.
- General knowledge and understanding of current events, as well as ordinary observation and experience in their scientific elements, as one might anticipate of a well-educated person who has not studied any scientific subject in depth.
- Questions regarding Indian politics will also be included in the paper, such as:
- The political system
- The Constitution of India
- History of India
- Geography of nature
- Questions regarding Indian politics will also be included in the paper, such as:
For Paper – III, IV, V, & VI
For the mains test, the candidate choose two subjects from the following list:
- Agricultural Engineering
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Candidates will not be allowed to choose the following combination of subjects :
- Agriculture and Agricultural Engg
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Chemistry and Chemical Engg
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Engineering subjects with the Agricultural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering will not be selected more than one subject.
UPSC IFoS 2022-2023 Admit Card
Candidates who have completed the IFS 2022-2023 application form can access the official website to obtain their IFS 2022-2023 admit card. Candidates can obtain their individual IFS 2022-2023 admission cards by following the processes outlined below.
Steps to download the Admit Card
- Visit the UPSC official website
- Select the ‘admit card’ option from the drop-down menu.
- There will be a new page loaded.
- Click on ‘e-admit card for the various UPSC examinations’ on the new page that appears.
- Search for the IFS (Main) exam.
- Choose the ‘download’ option.
- A new tab will open with a few instructions displayed on the screen.
- To avoid any misconceptions, candidates must carefully follow the guidelines provided.
- Select the option to download e-admit cards from the drop-down menu.
- Please enter your login credentials.
- Submit the login information.
- The admit card for IFS 2022-2023 will be presented on the screen.
- The IFS 2022-2023 admission card is available for download.
- Make a photocopy of the document for future use.
Documents to carry UPSC IFoS 2022-23 Exam Centre
Along with the admit card, aspirants must bring one of the id proofs.
- Driving Licence
- PAN card
- Aadhar Card
- Voter id card
- Admit Card
What to do in case of any discrepancy in the Admit card?
In the event that a candidate’s Admit Card contains an error. In order to correct the error, he or she must inform the authorities right away. We have provided the commission’s contact information so that you can get in touch with them.
UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
Shahjahan Road, New Delhi – 110069
Facilitation Counter : 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591
Admit Card (Examination) / Detailed Application Form (Examination) Query / :011- 23098591 Ext.4119/4120/4295 / email-id:- [email protected]
UPSC IFoS Examination Centre
The IFS 2022-2023 test is conducted throughout India. Candidates can choose from a variety of exam centres for IFS 2022-2023, depending on their preferences. A list of IFS 2022-2023 exam centres can be seen in the table below:
UPSC IFoS 2022-23 Result
The Indian Forest Service 2022 Result will be announced on the UPSC official website following the success of the IFS 2022 examination. Candidates can access their results via the internet. UPSC will not send the results by email or postal mail. Candidates must have their roll number, date of birth, application form number, and other information to verify their online results. Candidates can save the results on their computers for later use.
The candidate must follow all the steps to check the UPSC IFS 2022 result online. The steps are listed below:
Step 1: Candidates may check the UPSC IFS 2022 result on the official website —> click here.
Step 2: On the official website’s main page, hover your cursor over the “Examination” icon and select “Active Examination.”
Step 3: Click the “Indian Forest Service (Preliminary) Examination, 2022 through CS(P) Examination 2022” link in the following window.
Step 4: Scroll down to the “Result” button on the next page.
Step 5: Go through the UPSC IFS examination result list and look out the candidate’s roll number.
Step 6: Apply for the UPSC IFS 2022 main test if the candidate was selected in the UPSC IFS 2022 exam.
How to prepare for IFS?
Candidates interested in taking the IFS 2022-2023 exam should be aware of the competition and prepare accordingly. Before you begin studying for the exam, you should be fully informed about the exam. The candidate should have all of the necessary study resources, which will make it easier for them to prepare for the exam. Here are some of our recommendations for studying for the IFS 2022-2023 Exam:
- Prepare a timetable– It is recommended that the candidate create a timetable and stick to it. Preparing a timeline will assist the candidate in better preparation as well as the exam topics. Eight months is said to be the best amount of time to prepare for the IFS exam. The candidate can do well in the exam if he or she has a good approach for preparing for it.
- Start with basics– For exam preparation, the candidate should begin with the fundamentals. It is critical to have a firm grasp on the fundamentals, as this will make solving difficulties much easier. Candidates should aim to answer the questions in the shortest amount of time possible.
- Practising previous year question paper– Solving prior year’s exam papers is quite significant. Regular question paper practise will aid candidates in strengthening their knowledge and increasing their speed in answering questions.
- Mock Test- Candidates are encouraged to take the mock test at the beginning of the process; this will allow them to identify their strengths and limitations. Candidates might begin to work on their flaws. You will become more familiar with the practise tests as you take more of them.
IFS 2022-2023 Reference Books
Because there are so many IFS books on the market, choosing the appropriate one can help applicants prepare effectively and perform well in the exam. The following are the IFS reference books that hopefuls can read in order to prepare for the exam.
|Indian Forestry a Breakthrough Approach to forest service (7th Edition)||By S.Prabhu and K.Manikandan|
|UPSC IFS Main Examination Guide: A complete for Paper 1 and Paper 2||RPH Editorial Board|
|UPSC IFS Botany Main Exam Guide Botany (Paper 1 & 2)||RPH Editorial Board|
|UPSC IFS Exam Zoology Main Exam Guide (Paper 1 & 2)||RPH Editorial Board|
|UPSC IFS Agriculture Main Exam Guide (Paper 1 & 2)||RPH Editorial Board|
UPSC IFoS FAQs
Can I bring the digital copy of the admit card to the exam centre?
No, you will not be able to carry your admit card or photo ID evidence to the exam centre in digital form because no electronic devices will be permitted inside.
If you undergo Lasik treatment, are you eligible for the IFoS exam?
Lasik treatment is not a concern for IFoS, and you will still be considered for the position.
Will I be eligible for the IFoS exam if I hold a diploma degree in any of the prescribed subjects?
No, for IFoS, a three-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent is required, and a diploma is not deemed equivalent to a bachelor’s degree and hence is not eligible.
Are IFoS officers transferred frequently?
Yes, IFoS officers will be involved in several transfers throughout their careers, most of which will take place in rural and forested locations. However, depending on the requirements, they are frequently posted in metropolitan or semi-urban areas.
What are the salary and benefits enjoyed by IFoS officers?
The pay structure for IFoS officers is competitive and is based mostly on the job you hold. It might be anywhere from 7 to 15 LPA.
If I fill up the form but cannot attend the prelims exam, will it be considered as a chance lost?
No, it will not be counted as an attempt if you do not show up for the exam at all after filling out the form.
Can I withdraw my application for the exam?
No, after the application form has been filed and paid for, there is no way to withdraw it.
Can you choose the location of posting for the IFoS exam?
The admit cards for IFoS and IAS will be available from the same URL for the prelims, but they will be distinct for the mains.