The Application form for CDS (I) 2024 will be released on the official website. The combined Defence Services Examination (CDS Exam) is conducted twice a year for recruitment into the Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy.
The Combined Defence Services Examination or CDS is divided into two phases: Written Test and SSB Interview.
The candidate needs to clear both phases in order to be recruited. Interested applicants must go through the detailed eligibility criteria for CDS (I) 2024 before filling the application form for the examination.
Table of Contents
CDS (I) 2024 Highlights.
|Exam Name||CDS (I) 2024|
|Full-Form||Combined Defence Services Examination (I) 2024|
|Conducted by||Union Public Service Commission|
|Application Fee||Rs. 200/-|
|Frequency of Exam||Twice a year|
|Exam Type||Written test ( objective type ) and Interview|
|Negative Marking||– 0.33( for each wrong attempt)|
|Phases of Selection||Written test SSB Interview|
CDS (I) 2024 Important Dates
The aspirants must be updated with the exam dates to plan everything accordingly. All the important dates for UPSC CDS (I) 2024 are given below:
|UPSC CDS (I) 2024 Notification Releases along with Application Form||December 2023|
|UPSC CDS (I) 2024 Application Process Ends||January 2024|
|Issuance of CDS (I) 2024 Admit Card||3rd week of March 2024|
|Combined Defence Services Examination (I) 2024||April 2024|
|Answer Keys Release||Soon|
|UPSC CDS (I) 2024 Results||May 2024|
|SSB Interview Dates||July/ August 2024|
|UPSC CDS (I) 2024 Final Result||October 2024|
CDS ll 2024 Important Dates
|Events||Important Dates (Tentative)|
|UPSC CDS (Il) 2024 Notification Releases along with Application Form||May 2024|
|UPSC CDS (Il) 2024 Application Process Ends||June 2024|
|Issuance of CDS (I) 2024 Admit Card||3rd week of August 2024|
|Combined Defence Services Examination (lI) 2024||September 2024|
|Answer Keys Release||Soon|
|UPSC CDS (lI) 2024 Results||October 2024|
|SSB Interview Dates||January/February 2025|
|UPSC CDS (II) 2024 Final Result||April/May 2025|
CDS (I) 2024 Application Form
The application forms for CDS (I) 2024 are likely to be released soon by the Union Public Services Commission along with the notification. The applications will only be invited online through the official website. Applications will not be accepted offline. The applicants are advised to submit the application form before the last date. The applicants must fill the application form with utmost care as no correction will be allowed in future. The aspirants can look below for the detailed steps to fill the application form.
Steps to fill the Application Form for CDS (I) 2024
- The applicants must visit the home page of the official website – www.upsconline.nic.in.
- Here, the applicants are required to click on “Part 1 Registration” in order to open the CDS Registration Form.
- The applicants must enter some basic details like candidate’s name, Date of Birth, parents’ name, address, category, mobile number, email address
- A message containing the candidate’s registration number and password will be sent to the registered mobile number and E-mail ID.
- Now, the applicants need to pay the registration fee, as applicable.
- The applicants are required to enter a few details like personal details and academic details.
- Each applicant is obliged to choose their preference for the positions among IAF, IMA, INA, and OTA.
- The applicant must select CDS Exam Centre as per their preference. This will be considered as the most preferred venue for the written test.
- Upload the required digitally scanned copies of the documents.
|General/ OBC/ EWS||Rs. 200/-|
|Female (All Categories)||Exempted|
The application fee for the candidates belonging to General/ OBC/ EWS categories needs to pay a registration fee of Rs. 200/- whereas the female applicants as well as reserved categories will be exempted from the registration fee.
Online Mode: Application Fees can be paid in online mode via Debit/ Credit/Master/Visa Card or SBI Netbanking. If you are paying online, take a printout of the payment receipt for future reference.
Offline Mode: The applicants will generate a bank challan during the CDS registration process and submit the same along with the fees at any SBI bank whichever branch they prefer.
Size and Format of Documents to be uploaded:
|Photograph||20 – 300 Kbs||350×350 – 1000×1000||24||.jpg|
|Signature||20 – 300 Kbs||350×350 – 1000×1000||24||.jpg|
|Photo Identity Card||20 – 300 Kbs||_||_|
CDS (I) 2024 Exam Centres
The applicants are required to choose exam centres for CDS (I) 2024 from the below-mentioned cities:
CDS (I) 2024 Eligibility Criteria
The Eligibility Criteria for CDS (I) 2024 consist of four parts: Nationality, Age, Marital Status, and Gender. Although applicants from both genders can appear for this exam, however, the criteria are different. The physical fitness of the applicant is also mandatory and plays an important role. The detailed eligibility criteria for CDS (I) 2024 is mentioned below:
The applicant must be unmarried and must be any of the following:
- A Citizen of India,
- A subject of Bhutan,
- A subject of Nepal,
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India,
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- The applicants under 2, 3, 4, and 5 must-have a certificate or proof issued by the Indian Government in favour of their statement.
- The applicants who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal are not required to show any kind of certificate of eligibility.
- The applicant in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him/her by the Govt. before the declaration of result by UPSC.
Age Limits, Sex, and Marital Status
Both male and female applicants are eligible to apply for CDS (I) exam. The applicants must be unmarried in order to be eligible for CDS (I) Exam. Specifically, the widows and divorcee applicants will be considered ineligible for CDS (I) Exam. The eligibility criteria for different categories in the CDS (I) Exam is unique and mentioned below:
|Category||Age (years)||Gender||Marital Status|
|Indian Military Academy (IMA)||19 – 24||Male||Unmarried|
|Indian Naval Academy (INA)||19- 22||Male||Unmarried|
|Air Force Academy||19- 23||Male||<25 years unmarried or >25 years both married and unmarried|
|Officers’ Training Academy (SSC Course for Men)||19- 25||Male||Unmarried|
|Officers’ Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course)||19- 25||Female||Unmarried Women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible.|
All the applicants applying for CDS (I) must be a graduate or at least appearing the final exam of eligible degrees.
- The applicants applying for I.M.A. and OTA must have a degree of a university or equivalent degree from Central/State Government recognized institutions.
- The applicants applying for INA( Indian Naval Academy), must have a Degree in Engineering from a recognized University/institution or its equivalent.
- The applicants applying for the Air Force Academy must have a degree of a recognized university (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2) or a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
Note: The applicants in their final year of graduation are also eligible to apply for CDS exam, given that they need to produce the proof of passing the qualifying exam by a date to be specified in the Commission’s Notice for the CDS Exam.
CDS (I) 2024 Admit Card
The Admit Card for CDS (I) is expected to be released 3 weeks before the exam. Admit Card will not be sent to any applicants through SMS or email. They need to log in on the official website of UPSC and download individual admit card. The details mentioned on the admit card includes:
- Name and address of the allotted exam centre.
- Roll number
- Name, etc.
Steps for Downloading Admit Card for CDS (I) 2024
- The applicant must visit the UPSC official website- upsc.gov.in.
- On the homepage, the applicant must check the ‘What’s New’ Section and click on “e-Admit Card-CDS Examination(I) 2024” link.
- In the new page, applicants must click “ Download”
- The applicants must read all the instructions and must take a printout for future reference and click “Yes”.
- In this new page, the applicants are required to enter the following details: Registration Number and Date of birth Or Roll number and date of birth Or Name, Father’s name and date of birth
- Then the applicant must click on the “Submit” button.
- The Admit card for CDS 2024 will appear on-screen.
- The applicant must not forget to download the admit card for future reference.
CDS (I) 2024 Exam Pattern
The applicants applying for IMA, INA, and AFA need to give the test of 6 hours containing 300 marks whereas the OTA applicants require to attempt 4 hours of exam containing 200 marks. The exam pattern for IMA, INA, and AFA consists of 3 sections: English language, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics. While the exam pattern of OTA consists of 2 sections: English and General knowledge. There will be a negative marking of -0.33 for each incorrect attempt.
CDS Exam Pattern for IMA, INA, and AFA:
|Section||Number of Questions||Duration||Maximum Marks|
|General Knowledge||120||2 Hours||100|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours||100|
CDS Exam Pattern for OTA (officer’ Training Academy)
|Section||Number of Questions||Duration||Maximum marks|
|General Knowledge||120||2 hours||100|
CDS Exam Marking Scheme
The marking scheme is different for each section of the CDS Exam:
- In both sections English and General Awareness, for each correct answer, candidates will obtain +0.83 and for each wrong attempt will be deducted -0.27 marks.
- In Mathematics, candidates will gain +1 marks for every correct answer and will be deducted – 0.33 for each wrong attempt.
CDS (I) 2024 Syllabus
The syllabus for the exam helps the aspirants to discover the various topics that they need to prepare for the exam in hand. The syllabus for CDS (I) is divided into three sections: English Language, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics. Further, Elementary Mathematics is divided into 7 parts such as Arithmetic Ability, Trigonometry, Algebra, Mensuration, Geometry, Statistics, and Numbers System. The detailed syllabus for CDS (I) is mentioned below:
|English||Active & Passive Voice, Usage of words, Parts of Speech, Direct & Indirect Speech, Grammar, Vocabulary, Antonyms & Synonyms, Idioms & Phrases, Ordering of words in a sentence, Spotting Errors, etc.|
|General Knowledge||Indian History, Indian Geography, Indian Economy, Indian Culture & Heritage, Indian Constitution, Defence-related, Current Events (National & International), Physics, Chemistry, General Politics, Biology Statement true/false, Environment, Current Awareness, Sociology, Sports, Book, Award|
Subsection and Topics of Elementary Mathematics
|Arithmetic Ability||Fundamental operations, Number System, Time and Distance, Time and Work, Percentages, Tests of divisibility, Factorization Theorem, applications to simple and compound interest, Profit and Loss, Ratio and proportion, Variation, Unitary method, Division algorithm, Elementary Number Theory, Prime and composite numbers, H.C.F. and L.C.M, Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms|
|Algebra:||Basic Operations, Solutions of quadratic equations, Simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F. & L.C.M., analytical and graphical solutions, Simultaneous linear inequations, Practical problems – simultaneous, linear equations or inequations, Theory of polynomials, Rational expressions, conditional identities, Laws of indices|
|Trigonometry:||Use of trigonometric tables, Simple cases of s and distances, Simple trigonometric identities, Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos × and tan ×, for × = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°|
|Mensuration||surface area and volume of cuboids, Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle, and circle, Areas of figures, surface area and volume of spheres, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders.|
|Geometry||Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on:- Properties of angles at a point Parallel lines Sides and angles of a triangle Similar triangle, Congruency of triangles The concurrence of medians and altitudes Properties of angles, sides & diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle, and square. Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, Loci.|
|Statistics||Measures of central tendency, Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts, etc.,|
|Numbers System||Integers, Natural numbers, Rational and Real numbers|
CDS (I) Preparation Tips:
- The student must create a time table covering the whole syllabus in a stipulated time and strictly follow that.
- The student must read daily journals as well as newspapers to enrich the “General Knowledge” section.
- The student must try to solve as many questions of Elementary Mathematics as possible.
- The student must not forget to focus on the English Language section of the exam.
- The student must try to solve different sample papers, previous year papers to get an exact idea about the exam.
CDS (I) Answer Key
The authorities will publish the Answer Key on the official website. The Answer Key helps the aspirants to form an idea about the estimated marks. It helps them to estimate their chances of qualifying the exam. The applicants can find the Answer Key by following the given steps:
Steps to Download the CDS (I) Answer Key
- The applicant must visit the official website of UPSC that is www.upsc.gov.in
- Here, the applicant must click the “Examination” tab from the Website Menu Bar.
- Now, the applicants are required to select and click the “Answer Key” option.
- Applicants need to choose the particular set of paper answer key link
- The Answer Key will be displayed in PDF format on-screen.
- Lastly, the applicants must download the PDF and then can take a printout of the answer key for future reference.
CDS (I) 2024 Cut-offs
We have estimated the cut-offs for CDS (I) 2024 as per previous year pattern for the applicants to have an idea about it. These cut-offs are for reference purpose only. The actual cut-off may differ from the given cut-offs.
|OTA(Women and Men)||85-99|
CDS (I) 2019 Cut-off
CDS (I) 2019 had a sectional cutoff also. From the previous year cutoff candidates will have an idea of the cutoff range:
|Academy||Written Exam||Final Exam|
Steps to check the CDS (I) 2024 Cut-off
- The applicant must visit the official website upsc.gov.in
- Here, the applicant is required to go to the cutoff section from the ‘Examination’ tab
- Now, click on the provided link for CDS (I) 2024 Cut-off.
- Course wise cutoff will be in the PDF format ( download and save it if needed)
CDS (I) 2024 SSB Interview
CDS (I) 2024 SSB Interview basically involves 2 stages:
- Stage 1: It consists of officer intelligence rating, picture perception, and description test.
- Stage 2: It involves interview, group testing officer task, psychology test, and conference
CDS (I) 2024 Selection Procedure
The applicants must have secured a minimum of 20% marks to qualify in each subject. The qualified applicants will only be able to attend SSB Interview. After the interview process, applicants will be called for document verification. Documents like Qualification Certificates, Birth Certificate, Passport-size Photograph, Proof of Identity( PAN, Aadhar, Voter Card), Category Certificate if belong to Reserve category and Residence Proof will be required in the document verification procedure.
CDS (I) 2024 FAQs
A: The CDS Exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
A: The CDS Exam is conducted offline.
A: The application fee for General/OBC/EWS category candidates is Rs. 200/-, while candidates belonging to other categories are exempted from the application fee.
A: CDS stands for Combined Defence Services.
A: The application form link will be activated on the official website after the notification is released by the authorities.