The abbreviation for the Joint Entrance Screening Test is JEST, which is considered by SERB to be the NET (National Eligibility Test) (Science & Engineering Research Board). The Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Science, Kalpakkam, is organizing the joint entrance screening examination. Applicants pursuing an integrated Ph.D. program in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology are expected to take a joint admission screening test.
The Joint Entrance Screening Test is a form of mandatory assessment that is good for candidates seeking entry to integrated Ph.D. programs. In this article, information regarding important JEST 2022 dates, examination pattern, syllabus, admit card, result, application form, etc is listed below.
JEST 2022: The application form as well as the dates for JEST is Out. Interested Candidates can fill the online form also can check the Exam Dates.
Date Timeline: 15 December 2021 – 18 January 2022
For Information Regarding the JEST 2022 Application form, Click Here.
For Information Regarding JEST 2022 Examination Dates, Click Here
For Information Regarding the Eligibility criteria for JEST 2022, Click Here
JEST 2022 Overview
|Name of Examination||JEST 2022|
|Level of Examination||PhD level|
|Duration of Exam||180 minutes|
|No. of Test Cities||36 cities in India|
|Offered Courses||Integrated MSc / MTech – PhD/ PhD|
|Date of Registration||15 December 2022|
|Date of Examination||18 January 2022|
JEST 2022 Important Dates
Below are important dates relating to the Joint Entrance Screening Test 2022. Students are expected to go carefully through the dates:
|JEST 2022 Application Form Release Date||15 December 2022|
|JEST 2022 Application Form Last Date||18 January 2022|
|JEST 2022 Admit Card Release Date||March/ April 2022|
|JEST 2022 Exam Date||13 March 2022|
|JEST 2022 Answer Key Release Date||3rd week of April 2022|
|Answer Key Objection Last Date||April 2022|
|Result Announcement Date||Last week of April 2022|
|Interview Commencement||May 2022|
JEST 2022 Application Form
The JEST application form will be released online by the Science and Engineering Research Board. No other mode is required for filling out the JEST 2022 application form. Only for a given time can SERB allow the enrollment process. When filling out the JEST 2022 application form, applicants are expected to submit multiple details, including personal, academic, and communication.
Applicants would have to upload documents, including photographs and signatures, in the prescribed ad size format in addition to filling the details. If the applicant does not comply with the requirements for uploading the documents, the application form is subject to rejection.
- The application form has been released on 15 December 2022.
- Applicants will use the online mode to fill out their application form. It will not be accepted by any other mode.
- Fill in the details carefully, including education, personal information, address, contact etc.
- Upload documents such as a photo of the passport size and a signature in the specified size.
- Applicants have to complete their application form by 18 January 2022.
- Applicants must have the application form printed and kept safe for other procedures.
How to fill up the application form of JEST Entrance Exam?
The step-by-step method for completing the application form for JEST 2022 is given below.
- Applicants must access the official site. Click on the JEST 2022 link on the homepage.
- Register with a personal email ID and generate a password as a new user. Submit the registered mail and password for logging into the JEST 2022 home page.
- Fill out all personal information such as the name of the applicant, date of birth, gender, address for contact, program and centre, etc. Applicants must also submit qualification information such as class 10th and 12th marks, passing year, board name, etc.
- Submit scanned copies of the student’s photo and signature as defined (size and format) Review and verify all of the student’s information. In the event of any mistakes, before paying the application fee, the student can change them.
- Applicants have to pay the JEST 2022 application form fee via credit card or net bank in the final step. Upon payment, an official mail will be sent to the applicant as an acknowledgment. Applicants can download the email or print it for any future requirements.
- During the application process, applicants should pay the fixed registration amount.
- Registration fees must be charged online through debit card/credit card/net banking and no other payment option is approved.
|General Applicants||INR 400|
|SC/ST Applicants||INR 200|
|Female Applicants||INR 200|
|Female Applicants from SC/ST category||Nil|
- Applicants would have to upload the Photo and Signature Scanned Copy.
- Applicants must use a black ball pen for signature. If a photograph is not printed on the admit card, a passport photo must be posted on the place.
|Photograph||less than 100 Kb||Jpeg||100*125 to 240*300|
|Signature||less than 100 Kb||Jpeg||100*125 to 50*30|
The fee paid once is not reimbursed again. If the applicant pays the fee twice unknowingly, the refund is only likely if it is informed to the authorities concerned.
The processing fee is collected and charged to the applicant even though the amount is refunded. If the amount has not entered the student’s account, it will be automatically refunded to the provider of the Payment Portal if the provided information is available.
JEST 2022 Eligibility Criteria
For applicants who are eligible to apply for the 2022 JEST Test, the authority sets certain conditions. Some of them are ethnicity, age limit, qualification for education, reservation, domicile and many others. If the applicant does not meet the criteria of any of the cases, then the organization has the right to cancel the application for the entrance examination. Applicants must review all the eligibility requirements before registering and applying for the JEST Exam 2022.
Before filling out the application form for JEST 2022, applicants can read and verify the eligibility requirements. It’s as follows.
Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- Candidate must have done M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. in Computer Science and related disciplines.
M.Sc. in Physics (all participating Institutes)
- The candidate should have done M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics for admission in IIA.
- The applicant must have completed B.E. or B.Tech for admission in IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- For admission in IUCAA, candidate should have done M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics.
- For admission in IPR, the applicant must have done MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics.
- For admission in SNBNCBS, the applicant should have done M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry.
- For TIFR, B.Tech Eng. Phys. Must be completed.
- M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc
- The applicant must have completed M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline.
Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC
- The applicant must have completed M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science.
For Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines is considered.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D Programme (Physics)
- For admission at SNBNCBS, the applicant must have completed B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics).
- For IMSc, the candidate must have completed B. Sc. (Physics).
- For IIA, the applicant must have completed B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics.
- B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum of first class marks, are considered at NISER.
- For admission into IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS, the applicant must have completed B.Sc. (Physics).
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. is considered for Integrated M.Sc – PhD at Bose Institute.
Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any discipline is considered.
M. Sc. Programme at HRI
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech. degree in any discipline
- HRI is starting a new M.Sc. programme in Physics from 2017. The Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2017.
Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics are considered.
JEST 2022 Exam Pattern
Applicants planning for JEST 2022 need to have full awareness of the pattern of the exam. Knowledge of the pattern of the JEST exam may assist the applicant in preparing for the entry exam. As follows, the examination pattern is
- Exam Mode: Pen and paper mode (Offline)
- Question Types: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), also known as, Objective type
- Exam Language: English only
- Total Sections: Three, divided as Part A, B and C
- Exam Duration: Three hours (180 minutes)
- Marking Scheme: Correct response in Part A and B derive +3 marks. Whereas part C will lead to awarding of +1 mark for each correct response
- Negative Marking: 1 mark deduction in Part A, – 1/3 mark in part C will be noticed for every incorrect response. Part B will have no negative response
Part Wise Distribution of Questions
|Section||Number of Question|
Sectional Marking Scheme
In JEST Exam 2022, the sectional marking scheme for correct and incorrect responses is given below. For incorrect answers in Part B, there is no negative marking applicable.
|Section||No. of questions||Marks for each correct answer||Marks for each incorrect answer|
|Part B||10||+3||No negative marking|
JEST 2022 Syllabus
In addition to the test pattern, the applicants must have full JEST syllabus information before preparation begins. A variation of test patterns and curriculum will enable the applicants to obtain a good score in JEST 2022. The curriculum for admission to physics is as follows:
- Elements of probability theory
- Curvilinear coordinate systems
- Vector algebra and vector calculus,
- Tensors and linear algebra
- Elements of Sturm–Liouville theory
- Special functions
- Complex analysis
- Fourier series and Fourier transform
- Linear differential equations
- Laplace transforms
- Elementary properties of discrete groups and error analysis.
- Symmetry and conservation laws
- Newton’s laws
- Generalized coordinates
- Conservation of energy, momentum and collisions
- Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics
- Small oscillations and normal modes
- Central force problem
- Kepler problem
- Special relativity in classical mechanics.
Electromagnetism & Optics
- Electrostatics and magnetostatics
- Multipole expansion
- Fields in conducting and boundary value problems
- Faraday’s law and time-varying fields,
- Diamagnetic and paramagnetic media
- Displacement current and Maxwell’s equations
- Energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields
- Reflection, refraction, diffraction and interference
- Propagation of plane electromagnetic waves
- Electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media
- The variational principle
- Schrodinger equation
- The uncertainty principle and central potentials
- The hydrogen atom and Orbital and spin angular momenta
- Addition of angular momenta
- Hermitian operators
- Matrix formulation of quantum theory
- Unitary transformations
- Time-independent and dependent perturbation theory
Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics
- Elements of kinetic theory
- Work and heat
- Thermodynamic potentials
- Laws of thermodynamics
- Statistical ensembles
- Maxwell’s relations
- Partition function
- Harmonic oscillators
- Classical and quantum statistics
- Classical ideal gas
- Fermi and Bose gases
- Black body radiation
- Statistics of paramagnetism
- Basics of semiconductor
- p-n junctions
- Active filters and oscillators
- LCR circuits
- Basics of OPAMPs and their applications
- Basics of digital electronics
JEST 2022 Preparation Tips
As a vast number of applicants appear to compete for a small number of seats, a good degree of planning is expected for JEST 2022. Any planning tips for JEST 2022 can be reviewed here.
- You need a good examination syllabus and pattern knowledge.
- Create a timetable.
- Try to solve as many papers of the prior year.
- Concentrate more on main issues
- Prepare brief notes according to the subjects specified in the curriculum.
- Try to handle time effectively in mock tests.
- Study for a minimum of 10 hours daily.
- Review it effectively.
Important Books for JEST 2022 Exam
With the aid of the following books, applicants may prepare for the JEST 2022 test.
|Name of Books|
|Introduction to Algorithms|
|Mathematics Methods in Physics|
|Physics of Atom and Molecules|
JEST 2022 Admit Card
The admit card will be released by SERB on the official site jest.org.in. Applicants have to log in to access the same with their username and password. Without the JEST 2022 admit card and clear proof of identity, no candidate is allowed to enter the test centre. The JEST 2022 Admit Card contains essential details such as applicant names, name and address of the test center, timings, roll number, etc.
How to download JEST 2022 Admit Card ?
To download the JEST 2022 admit card, applicants must follow these instructions.
- Go to the official page.
- On the homepage, check for the JEST 2022 Admit Card.
- Enter your username and password by opening the JEST 2022 Admit Card page.
- The admit card will be visible by providing genuine data.
- Take a printout and download it. On the Admit Card, check all the information. Contact JEST authorities urgently if any changes are necessary.
The Admit Card includes information of the applicant such as name, roll number, name of the parent, signature, photograph, date of birth, address of the test center, exam date, reporting time, exam period, exam do’s & don’ts.
JEST 2022 Answer Key
After the end of the JEST 2022 exam, the official authority publishes on the official website the preliminary response key for JEST 2022. Applicants will download it for their respective sets in pdf format. If you are not happy with any answers, you can submit a draft objection and send an email to [email protected]. In support of their arguments, applicants should also present the evidence.
JEST 2022 Result
The JEST 2022 result is released by the authority on the official site. In order to verify the same, applicants have to login with their username and password. The JUST 2022 result is valid for a period of one year. The chosen candidates must arrive at the participating institutions for the interview session. Candidates are told via e-mail about the specifics of the interview.
How can the JEST results be checked?
The steps for checking the results are listed below.
- Applicants should visit JEST’s official site.
- Find the JEST 2022 Results link that appears on the menu on the left side.
- Submit the student’s username and password.
- On the screen, the JEST 2022 result will be visible.
- Applicants should download and print the marks sheet for reference in the future.
As mentioned by the participating institutions, they must complete the admission procedure. Applicants may contact the relevant institute of their choosing if they have qualified for the JEST Exam to obtain more information about the interview session. On every institute, the interview dates are unique and can be reviewed on the official JEST website.
JEST 2022 Cut Off
Shortly after publication, applicants will be able to verify the JEST cutoff 2022. The JEST 2022 qualification will be considered for the admission procedure. In deciding on the JEST cut-off 2022, SERB will take into account many factors. The variables to decide the cut-off would include seating availability, examination complexity, cut-off patterns of the previous year, and so on. On the basis of the cut-off points, applicants are called for counselling.
Applicants should check the following table to see the cut-off for the last two years:
JEST 2021 Cutoff
|Subject||Cutoff||Number of candidates clearing the cutoff|
|MSc / Integrated Ph.D||26||390 out of 6226|
|Ph D.||32||705 out of 7263|
JEST 2019 Cutoff
|Subject||Cutoff||Number of candidates clearing the cutoff|
|MSc / Integrated Ph.D||35||398 out of 6654|
|Ph D.||32||692 out of 7283|
JEST 2022 Counselling
After the results are announced, the JEST 2022 counseling begins. Applicants must remember that no centralized admission procedure for admission by any specific institute will take place. The JEST Colleges will call those applicants who successfully qualified for the JEST examination 2022 for the counselling and admission procedure.
Documents Required for JEST 2022 Counselling
At the time of JEST counseling, applicants shall carry the following documents to the JEST College or institute.
- 12 Mark Sheet & Passing Certificate
- JEST 2022 Admit card
- JEST 2022 Scorecard
- Graduation Mark sheet
- Passport size photographs
- Domicile Certificate
- Category Certificate (If applicable)
JEST 2022 Participating Institutes
The JEST score is approved by the following participating institutions for admission to different courses. Applicants should look at the list below.
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital: Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics.
- Bose Institute, Kolkata
- Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
- International centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Tirupathi
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
- Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
- National Brain Research Centre, Manesar
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune
- National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
- Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
- Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata
- Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata
JEST 2022 Test Centres
Applicants can look at the list of all JEST 2022 test centers. They are as mentioned.
For any details relating to the JEST Entrance Exam 2022, applicants may contact the address listed below.
Address: Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
Dr Homi Bhabha Road, Navy Nagar,
Colaba, Mumbai, Maharashtra
Phone: 022 2278 2000
Email ID: [email protected]
JEST 2022 FAQs
What are the age limit conditions for qualifying for the exam?
For JEST 2022, there are no age limit requirements prescribed to apply.
What is the negative marking in part C going to be?
For each wrong answer, a 1/3 mark will be deducted in Part C.
Which mode will the test be conducted in?
The examination will only be carried out in offline (OMR) mode.
What’s the last date for filling an application form?
It is possible to fill the JEST 2022 application form by 18 January 2022.
Are different tests available for different courses?
No for different courses, same test will be performed.
How many times will I be able to sit in the JEST exam? Am I eligible to apply?
Applicants can be appear in the JEST test at any number of occasions.
Does JEST 2022 take place offline?
Yes, JEST 2022 is held in pen and paper mode.
Can I edit my application after it is submitted?
Yeah, modifications will be necessary after the application has been finally submitted.
Is JEST performing the interview round?
No, the participating institutes are conducting it.
How do I download the result of JEST 2022?
By logging with the username and password, students can download JEST 2022 result.
I am currently completing a Mechanical/ Aeronautical Engineering B.Tech degree. Will I be able to participate in the JEST 2022 test?
The JEST 2022 exam is a screening examination for the admission of various participating institutes to the Ph.D and Integrated Ph.D programme. At each institute, the educational requirements needed for admission to these courses are different. Applicants are asked to check the official site of the college/institution concerned in order to learn more about their qualification criteria.
What is the maximum number of times an applicant can apply for the exam?
Applicants may apply for the JEST 2022 Exam any number of times, as there are no limitations on it.
For any queries regarding JEST 2022, please comment below.