General Nursing and Midwifery is a three-and-a-half-year nursing diploma program. Students who want to pursue a GNM diploma can do so after passing the Science stream of the class 12 exam. The three-and-a-half-year program includes a six-month internship requirement. Students who have completed class 12 are eligible to apply for the GNM Nursing program. Students who had biology as a main subjects in grades 11 and 12 are given special consideration.
The details of the General Nursing and Midwifery course are geared toward providing skills and knowledge in patient care and clinical treatment.
The GNM diploma course is one of the types of courses that can be used as a stepping stone toward a career in nursing. GNM diploma holders can begin their careers working in government or private hospitals and clinics.
Pharmaceutical, technical, and research labs are among the top GNM nursing job areas in India.The average GNM Nursing salary is between INR 2-4 lakhs per year. Students with a GNM Nursing degree have the option of entering the workforce or pursuing a Master’s degree or a PhD.
GNM Course: An Overview
The following are some of the most important aspects of the GNM program:
|Level of Course||Diploma|
|Name of the Course||General Nursing and Midwifery|
|Also referred as||GNM|
|Duration of Course||3.5 Years|
|Type of Examination||Semester System/ Year-wise|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with minimum 50% marks in aggregate with science subjects|
|Process of Admission||Merit-Based/ Entrance Exam|
|Fee for the Course||INR 30,000 to INR 2.5 Lacs|
|Top Areas of Employment||Nursing Homes, Hospitals, Universities, etc|
|Roles of Job||Legal Nurse Consultant, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Forensic Nursing etc.|
GNM Nursing Eligibility
The following are the main requirements for enrolling in a GNM nursing program in India:
- Students must have completed their 12th grade in any subject, with a preference for Science and Biology subjects.
- Candidates must also have received at least 50% in their 12th grade exam. Some of the best medical schools in the country require 60 percent in GNM nursing courses.
- They must also have obtained at least the required number of marks on their GNM Nursing Entrance Exam.
GNM Nursing Syllabus
Fundamentals of Nursing
Community Health Nursing
Medical-Surgical Nursing I
Ear, Nose and Throat
Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
Community Health Nursing
Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursing
Community Health Nursing – II
GNM Admission Procedure
- The GNM Nursing admissions process is heavily reliant on the results of the Class 12 Board Exams.
- Direct admission and entrance exams are both used in the GNM Nursing Admissions process.
- Students are admitted to government colleges through entrance exams administered by State Level Entrance Exams.
- Each state has its own entrance exams, and some colleges, such as BHU, have their own GNM Nursing entrance exams.
Different Types of GNM Programs
In India, the three most common versions of GNM are Basic, Post Basic, and Distance GNM.
Basic GNM Programs:
- The most common type of GNM is the basic GNM. It is a bachelor’s degree program that prepares students to acquire nursing knowledge and skills in order to provide comprehensive nursing care to patients suffering from a variety of disorders.
- The program is intended to produce general nurses who can effectively work as members of a health team in a wide range of hospitals and other settings.
- To be eligible for the three-year degree, candidates must pass class 12 examinations in a science based stream with a minimum of 40% aggregate marks.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 17 and 35 to be considered. Furthermore, each student must be in good health.
Post-basic GNM Programs:
- Candidates in the post-basic GNM or post-basic B.Sc. Nursing programs gain advanced knowledge. This knowledge is imparted in the classroom, on educational trips, and in clinical lessons.
- GNM with advanced features has a lot of potential. Candidates can work in a variety of settings, including nursing schools, clinics, and public health centers.
- This course is offered in two versions: a basic version that lasts three years and a regular version that lasts two years.
Distance GNM Programs:
Remote learning options for GNM (General Nursing and Midwifery) are limited because it is a highly technical profession. Students should be wary of universities that offer GNM through distance education.
GNM Course: Suitable Candidates
- GNM Courses are available to students who want to pursue a career in nursing or medicine.
- GNM promises a respectable career with noble goals.
- Individuals with a passion for medicine, particularly nursing, should consider enrolling in a GNM Course.
- Students who want to use their future to help others should take this course.
- This course is for passionate and socially responsible individuals who are genuine to themselves and want to try their hand in a variety of fields.
GNM Course: Top Institutes
|Institute Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore||INR 70,000|
|Christian Medical College (CMC), Ludhiana||INR 2,40,000|
|Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (IPGMER), Kolkata||INR 45,000|
|KIIT Bhubaneswar||INR 30,000|
|Government Medical College, Kozhikode||INR 15,000|
|Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh||INR 1,20,000|
|TD Medical College, Alappuzha||INR 1,80,000|
|Maharajah’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Vizianagaram||INR 51,000|
|Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot||INR 60,000|
|RR Nursing Institutions||INR 5,70,000|
|St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore||INR 16,00,000|
|Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura||INR 1,00,000|
|SRM Kanchipuram, Chennai||INR 1,10,000|
|IRT Perundurai Medical College, Perundurai||INR 50,000|
Important Skills Required
Graduates of the GNM program are registered as RNRMs (Registered Nurse Registered Midwife) and are designated as nurses.
- Nursing entails interacting with patients and assisting doctors in the delivery of care. When dealing with a variety of patients, the nurse should be patient and compassionate.
- Aside from that, the Nurse should have a track record of working with doctors, patients, and hospital administration, as well as compassion and excellent communication skills.
- A nurse should be able to communicate in both medical and layman’s terms with doctors as well as patients.
- A nurse must also have strong organisational and management skills because they are in charge of keeping track of patients’ records.
GNM Entrance Exams in Different States
|Name of the Examination||Conducting Authority|
|Andhra Pradesh GNM Exam||Directorate of Medical Education|
|Assam State GNM Exam||SRM Institute of Science and Technology|
|Bihar GNM Exam||Ambedkar Institute of Higher Education|
|Gujarat State GNM Exam||Gujarat Nursing Council|
|Himachal GNM Exam||Directorate of Medical Education and Research|
|Jharkhand GNM Exam||Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board|
|Karnataka GNM Exam||State Diploma in Nursing Examination Board|
|Kerala GNM Exam||Directorate of Medicine Education|
|Madhya Pradesh GNM Exam||Madhya Pradesh Nurses Registration Council|
|Maharashtra GNM Exam||State Nursing Council|
|Meghalaya GNM Exam||Department of Health and Family Welfare|
|Mizoram GNM Exam||Mizoram College of Nursing|
|Odisha GNM Exam||Directorate of Nursing|
|Rajasthan GNM Exam||Directorate of Medical and Health Services|
|Tamil Nadu GNM Exam||Health and Family Welfare Department|
|Uttar Pradesh GNM Exam||University of Medical Science|
|West Bengal GNM Exam||Health Department|
GNM Course: Top Foreign Institutes
Students who complete the GNM Nursing Course are eligible to pursue further education in nursing and midwifery. This will ensure a higher salary and a successful career in the future. Completing a nursing degree is an important step because it provides a wealth of nursing knowledge.
Students can choose from a variety of specializations in Nursing and Midwifery, depending on their interests and the subjects available.
|Nursing Rank by QS||Institute Name||Location||Average Fees |
|1||University of Pennsylvania||United States||40,62,000|
|2||King’s College London||United Kingdom||24,55,000|
|3||John Hopkins University||United States||45,55,000|
|4||University of Washington||United States||26,32,411|
|5||University of Southampton||United Kingdom||20,00,000|
|6||Yale University||United States||41,52,070|
|7||University of Technology Sydney||Australia||19,65,400|
|8||University of Manchester||United Kingdom||23,35,000|
|9||University of Toronto||Canada||30,00,000|
|10||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill||United States||27,68,000|
GNM Course: Top Job Profiles
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary|
|Clinical/Hospital Nurse||Clinical Nurse Specialists are employed in doctor’s offices, hospitals, clinics, medical centers, and other healthcare facilities. They are usually experts in a specific field, such as Diabetology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Cardiovascular Medicine, or Public Policy.||Rs 4,50,553|
|Legal Consulting Nurse||Registered nurses who work as Legal Nurse Consultants provide medical data to legal entities, research organisations, and experts in medicine-related cases. The information will be used for things like providing care, surveying medical records, and preparing reports and summaries about wounds and illnesses.||Rs 5,30,989|
|Teachers||At the post-secondary level, teachers impart knowledge to students on a diverse range of subjects. They publish scholarly articles, conduct research, and teach in the field.||RS 9,13,657|
|Forensic Nurse||Assault, child and elder abuse, domestic abuse, neglect, and sexual crimes are all cases that forensic nurses are responsible for caring for. Forensic Nurses are in charge of gathering and protecting evidence in cases of conflict and reported crimes, in addition to treating casualties and emergencies.||Rs 4,94,720|
|Home Nurse||A Home Nurse is a healthcare professional who is constantly caring for the sick or home-bound, as well as assisting medical offices with staffing shortages. Some Home Nurses work in hospitals, schools, and clinics and commute between them.||Rs 2,37,186|
Some top hiring firms are:
The following is a list of top recruiters in India who hire GNM diploma holders:
- Community Health Centers
- Indian Nursing Council and various State Nursing Councils
- Global Hospitals
- Apollo Hospitals Enterprise
- Manipal Hospital
- Medanta Medicity
- Columbia Asia Hospital
- Fortis Healthcare
- The Indian Red Cross Society
- Max Hospital
- Wockhardt Hospitals
GNM Course: Benefits and Scope
- Nursing programs such as GNM Nursing play an important role in the healthcare industry, especially in these difficult times. Students can use clinical methodologies to help patients with their needs as a result of their vocational training.
- The job entails administering to patients and assisting doctors in providing care to the general public.
- A GNM Nursing course’s curriculum is specifically designed to prepare students to work as full-fledged nurses. Candidates receive a mix of theoretical and practical training, which aids in the acquisition of basic skills.
- GNM diploma holders can continue their education by pursuing higher education in addition to working in any hospital or organisation. Graduates of the ANM and GNM programs will be eligible to enroll in the B.Sc. Nursing and B.Sc. (Post-Basic) Nursing programs.
|Post Graduate Diploma In Intellectual Property Rights||Post Graduate Diploma In Labour Laws [PGDLL]||Diploma In Labour Laws And Labour Welfare|
|Post Graduate Diploma In Cyber Law||Diploma In Cyber Law||Diploma In Taxation Law [DTL]|
Many colleges offer GNM Nursing students the opportunity to enroll in an M.B.B.S program. Students can do so by taking the NEET exam and then applying for admission using the standard procedure. In India, some medical colleges set aside M.B.B.S seats for GNM Nursing candidates.
The GNM Nursing program focuses on providing students with clinical nursing training and guiding them in providing first aid and assistance to patients and doctors. A bachelor’s degree in nursing (is a four-year program that prepares students for careers that go beyond first aid and assisting. Students with a bachelor’s degree in nursing may be assigned tasks such as briefing patients, coordinating hospital wards, and assisting doctors during major operations.
Art students are welcome to enroll in a GNM program. On the other hand, many top GNM colleges in India prefer Science students who also studied Biology in Class 12.
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) in New Delhi is a well-known university in India that offers GNM distance learning courses.
Critical Care technology, Surgery, Nursing,Alternate Medicine, Nursing and Midwifery are some of the most popular specializations in General Nursing and Midwifery.
Many students who complete their GNM Nursing program go on to work in the nursing field. Higher education options such as B.Sc. Nursing, M.Sc. Nursing, and B.Sc. Nursing (Post Basic) are available for those who are not satisfied. GNM students can also enroll in an M.B.B.S program.
IPMT New Delhi and Jamia Hamdard University are two of the best GNM colleges in Delhi.
SHUATS Allahabad, HLM Group of Institutions, Ghaziabad, Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad, and Sharda University, Greater Noida are among the best GNM colleges in Uttar Pradesh (UP).