BDes in Fashion Communication: The Bachelor of Design in Fashion Communication is a four-year programme with eight semesters. Graphic Design, Fashion Media, Space Design, and Fashion Thinking are the four primary domains covered in this course. Students learn the fundamentals of communication design through hand and digital methods in the B.Des Fashion Communication programme.
The B.Des in Fashion Communication prepares students for careers in the fashion industry. Graduates of the programme will be able to enter the lifestyle, fashion, and beyond industries with financially viable and effective communication solutions. The programme is an undergraduate degree that is typically delivered in a regular, full-time format. After completing class 12th, candidates can apply for a B.Des in Fashion Communication. Everything you need to know about B.Des in Fashion Communication can be found right here.
Overview of BDes in Fashion Communication Course
|Level of Course||Undergraduate|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Design in Fashion Communication|
|Duration of Course||4 years|
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with 50% aggregate marks in any stream|
|Process of Admission||Entrance or Merit based|
|Course Fee||INR 0.79 LPA – INR 7.13 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 60,000 – INR 9 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Marks & Spencer, Madura Garments, Christian Dior, Lifestyle, Benetton, Shoppers Stop, Tommy Hilfiger, Liberty, Freelook, Lopez Design, Marie Claire, Images|
|Job Positions||Graphic Designer, Retail Space Designer, Visual Merchandiser, Fashion Stylist, Fashion Photographer, Fashion Journalist|
BDes in Fashion Communication: Introduction
- BDes in Fashion Communication is a well-reputed undergraduate degree in the field of design. Fashion Designing, Accessory Designing, Interior Designing, Textile Designing, and many other specialisations are available.
- The BDes degree has evolved over time to include design specialisations in Multimedia Designing, Graphic Designing, Visual Communication, Game Designing, and Visual Effects Design.
- BDes in Fashion Communication’s scope has been expanded to include new and promising career opportunities, opportunities in a variety of industries, and new technological training options.
- Product development, marketing, CAD, CAM, specialisation explicit subjects, elective subjects, vocational subjects, and personality and skills advancement subjects are all included in the programme curriculum.
- Internships, expositions, and events on a national and international level help candidates interested in a B.Des programme gain experience in the design industry.
Eligibility Criteria for BDes in Fashion Communication
Check out the B.Des in Fashion Communication eligibility criteria below:
- Each institute’s B.Des Fashion Communication eligibility criteria are different, so candidates should check the college’s official website before applying for admission.
- Candidates must have completed class 12th or 10+2 or its equivalent from a recognised educational board such as CBSE, ICSE, or its equivalent.
- The minimum cumulative grade point average varies by college. It usually ranges between 45 and 55 percent. Some institutes also give reserved category candidates a 2% to 5% tuition reduction.
- Some colleges also have an upper age limit for applicants. It is between the ages of 23 and 25. Candidates in the reserved category are given a two to five years of relaxation.
Admission Process for BDes in Fashion Communication
The majority of the top universities and colleges that offer BDes Fashion Communication admit students based on their performance in national, state, or institute-level entrance exams. Some institutes also offer direct admission based on a student’s performance in his or her HSC exams. The admissions process, on the other hand, is usually different at each university.
- Candidates have the option of filling out an application form online or in person.
- For entrance based admissions, candidates can take national, state, or institute level entrance exams.
- Some of the most popular entrances are NPAT, NIFT, UPES DATE, and AIEED.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend counselling, a personal interview, or a group discussion round.
Admission Tips for BDes in Fashion Communication
The following are some helpful hints to assist candidates in getting the best college:
- The placement opportunity is a must-have on the checklist, and the records from the previous few years will help you understand the college’s placement situation.
- Investigate and attempt the subjects that are important for the exam because it is beneficial, efficient, and results in excellent inscriptions.
- Get answers to your questions about the exam schedule so you can get into the college of your dreams.
- Keeping track of the course curriculum, visiting faculty on a regular basis, and getting exposure through an internship will help the candidate get into the best college possible.
Top Colleges for BDes in Fashion Communication
The following is a list of popular colleges in India that offer B.Des Fashion Communication:
|Name of College/ University||Average Fees|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi||INR 2,70,900|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Navi Mumbai||INR 2,70,900|
|Satyam Fashion Institute (SFI), Pune||INR 1,50,000|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune||INR 4,20,000|
|Amity University of Fashion Technology [ASFT], Noida||INR 1,52,000|
|MIT Institute of Design (MITID), Pune||INR 3,98,000|
Syllabus for BDes in Fashion Communication
The following are some of the major topics covered in the BDes in Fashion Communication syllabus:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Fundamentals of Arts and Design (2D)||Fundamentals of Arts and Design (2D)|
|Art representation and transformation||Image representation and transformation –II|
|CAD – Photography and Videography||Typography Fundamentals and exploratory printing|
|Designing and Human evolution||World of images & objects|
|Applied Science for Designers||Knowledge organization and communication|
|Design studio I – problem identification||Design studio II – Problem Analysis|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|2D Visual studies I – word & image||Elective- 3D Form Studies II or 2D Visual Studies II|
|3D Form studies – Aesthetics, Identity & Expressions||Communication Theories, Visual Perception & Semiotics|
|Creative Thinking Process and Methods||Design, Storytelling & Narratives|
|Design, Society, Culture & Environment||Design Studio III – Creative Explorations|
|Design, Society, Culture & Environment||Summer Project|
|Environmental Studies – Science & Engineering||Design Studio IV – Prototyping|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Design, Technology & Innovation||Design Management, Planning & Professional Practice|
|Collaborative Design Project||System Design Project|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Global Design Thoughts and Discourse, Re-Design Project, Design Research Seminar||Projects|
BDes in Fashion Communication: Course Comparison
Many students need to emphasise the differences between the Bachelor of Fashion Technology and the Bachelor of Fashion Communication in order to gain a better understanding of both programmes. The following table shows the comparison based on various parameters:
|Parameter||BDes Fashion Communication||BFTech|
|Full Name of the course||Bachelor of Design in Fashion Communication||Bachelor of Fashion Technology|
|Overview of the course||BDes Fashion Communication focuses on fashion design and cultivates a distinct sense of style through its curriculum.||BFTech is a course that focuses on the technical aspects of the apparel manufacturing industry.|
|Duration of course||4 Years||4 Years|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with at least 50% marks in any stream||10+2 with PCM as subjects from a recognized board|
|Process of Admission||Entrance Examination, Direct Admission (Rounds of interview or tests may follow)||Entrance Examination, Direct Admission (Rounds of interview or test may follow)|
|Course Fee||INR 0.79 LPA – INR 7.13 LPA||INR 40,000 – INR 2,70,000|
|Average Salary||INR 60,000 – INR 9 LPA||INR 2,00,000 – INR 4,50,000|
|Job Positions||Promotion and Merchandising Officers, Fashion Assistants, Fashion Advisers, Fashion Stylists||Fit Analysts, Production Controller, Merchandising Executives, Apparel Production Manager, Illustrator, Apparel Merchandiser|
|Top Recruiters||Marks & Spencer, Madura Garments, Christian Dior, Lifestyle, Benetton, Shoppers Stop, Tommy Hilfiger, Liberty||Arvind Mills, Pantaloon, The Shirt Company, Madura Garments, Celebrity Fashions, Raymonds Pvt Ltd.|
Job Profiles for BDes in Fashion Communication
Students interested in pursuing a career in the fashion and lifestyle industry should enrol BDes in Fashion Communication. Marketers, advertisers, public relations professionals, journalists, and fashion designers are just a few of the jobs available to those with a Fashion Communication degree. Some of the job profiles are listed below, along with their descriptions and salaries:
|Job Title||Average Salary|
|Senior Fashion Designer||INR 7.5 LPA|
|Assistant Brand Manager||INR 7 LPA|
|Fashion Consultant||INR 2.75 LPA|
|Fashion Stylist||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Fashion Merchandiser||INR 4.65 LPA|
The job opportunities for graduates of the four-year BDes in Fashion Communication programme are listed below:
- Publishing Houses
- Design studios
- AD Agencies
- Commercial Packaging
- TV and Film Company
- Multi-media Companies
- Colleges & Universities
- Printing and Publishing
- Marketing firms
- Corporate Businesses
- Training Institutions
- Web Designing
- Television Industry
The following is a list of recruiters who actively hire talented and deserving students after they complete their BDes in Fashion Communication:
- Tommy Hilfiger
- Dressin Fashion, New Delhi
- Free Look
- House of Anita Dongre Limited, Bangalore
- Marks & Spencer
- Karpagavalli Couture, Chennai
- Madura Garments
- IFA Fashion Industry Pvt. Ltd, Itanagar
- Anahe Retail, Bangalore
- Divine International Foundation, Haridwar
- Shopper’s Stop
- Christian Dior
Scope of BDes in Fashion Communication
Fashion designers, fashion journalists, graphic designers, fashion marketing managers, sales executives, fashion advertisers, and other positions with attractive pay packages are available through BDes Fashion Communication.
- Graduates in Media Houses, Advertising Companies, Retailing Companies, Consultancies, Colleges or Universities, etc., as well as entrepreneurs, have opportunities.
- MDes programmes in related fields are also available to candidates.
- BDes Fashion Communication offers self-employment opportunities as well as creating jobs in other areas.
- Candidates can expect glamour, fame, and success, as well as higher pay packages, if they are successful. This course will assist you in establishing a successful career in the fashion industry.
- You can easily find work in Canada, the United States, and other countries with this degree.
- You can participate in exhibitions and auctions of your creative works that are held all over the world.
- Promotion & Merchandising Officer, Fashion Assistant, Fashion Advertiser, Fashion Stylist, Teacher & Lecturer, Fashion Designer, Fashion Journalist, Sales Executive, Fashion Consultant, Area Operations Manager, Fashion Consultant, and other positions are available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Elements of Design, Surface Modelling in Computer-Aided Vision, Model Making, Design Documentation, Product Modelling and Identity, Design Management, Fundamentals of Fashion Design, CAD/CAM, Typography Fundamentals and Font Designing, Applied Ergonomics, Multimedia Designing, and others are some of the subjects taught in the B.Des in Fashion Communication programme.
An individual with a Bachelor’s degree in design and a specialisation in fashion communication has a better chance of expanding his or her career options by working in design and earning more money. For example, a fashion designer’s average salary package is INR 4 LPA – INR 6 LPA, whereas employees of large corporations such as Apple can expect a high salary package.
Because the candidates will primarily be working with client brand images and will be expected to manage and work as part of a team, skills such as developing effective linkages are essential. Translating the client’s requirements into actual designs and efficient execution of such plans requires a lot of patience and reliance on your team. Effective delegation of work is critical in the case of managers.
BDes Fashion Communication is a professional four-year undergraduate programme with specialisations in Product Designing, Industrial Design, Fashion Designing, Textile Designing, Fashion Communication, and much more. It entails a thorough study of creating and innovating original designs in garments, jewellery, luggage, industrial items, accessories, fashion, footwear, and much more.
Satyam Fashion Institute (SFI), Noida, Amity University, Lucknow, Swarrnim Startup And Innovation University (SSIU), Gandhinagar, and others are among the top colleges that offer B.Des Fashion Communication.
After completing the BDes programme, you have the option of pursuing MDes (Master of Design), MA – Fashion Design, or MFA – Fashion Design, depending on your interests.