The Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science is a three-year undergraduate program. It is a professional bachelor’s degree that focuses on the fundamental academic and practical devices needed to navigate and operate marine vehicles such as ships safely.
Candidates for Deck Officers and Scuba Divers are trained in this program. Additionally, lessons in Nautical Technology and its Applications, which are an important part of Nautical Science, are taught..
The program is especially beneficial to students, who can pursue lucrative careers in public and private sector companies, as well as other fields, after successfully completing the course. They can work as Deck Cadets, Second Officers, Chief Officers, and Captains, as well as Marine Engineers, Oceanographers, Radio Officers, and Nautical Surveyors, among other jobs.
B.Sc. Nautical Science: An Overview
Only a few institutes offer the B.Sc. Nautical Science program. Although the course is somewhat costly, it does guarantee employment. In the table below, the most important aspects of the course are briefly discussed:
|Level of Course||Bachelors|
|Also referred as||Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science|
|Duration of Course||3 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+ 2 from a recognized university with 60% in Physics, Chemistry and Maths|
|Process of Admission||Entrance based|
|Entrance Examinations||IMUCET, CUSAT CAT, etc|
|Fee for the Course||INR 2- 8 Lakhs per annum|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6- 8 Lakhs per annum|
|Positions of Job||Second Officer, Chief Officer,Deck Cadet, Captain, besides positions such as Marine Engineer, Oceanographer, Radio Officer, Nautical Surveyors, etc|
|Top Hiring Firms||GSI (Geological Survey of India), ONGC,Coal India, GMDC (Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation), SAIL, Government-operated Quarries, etc.|
|Prospects for Higher Studies||MSc in Nautical Science, MBA|
|Certified Financial Planner [CFP]||Diploma In Accounting Management [DAM]||Diploma In Business Administration|
|Diploma In Business Management||Diploma In Cooperative Management [D.C.M.]||Certificate In Cosmetology|
B.Sc. Nautical Science Eligibility
In order to enroll in a B.Sc. Nautical Science program, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Students must have completed secondary and higher secondary education from a recognized board with a minimum of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, and Math as compulsory subjects.
- Students must also maintain certain medical standards, which are critical aspects of the candidates’ assessment process at the time of admission, in addition to the required educational qualifications. Candidates must have a vision of 6/6 and be free of vision problems such as night blindness or color blindness. In order to apply for the course, candidates must be physically fit.
- The course eligibility criteria vary by college, and the candidate must fulfill them in order to be admitted to the college of their choice.
B.Sc. Nautical Science Syllabus
The following is the course curriculum for a Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science. The course covers both theoretical and practical aspects of the topic. Each semester, students must choose from a list of electives available to them.
The following is a semester-by-semester breakdown of the syllabus:
|English- 1||Marine Engineering & Control System – I|
|Mathematics- 1||Navigation – I|
|Physics- 1||Seamanship Lab I|
|Cargo work & Mar.Com|
|Mathematics- II||Naval Arch – Ship Construction|
|Physics- II||Voyage Plan & Collision|
|Environmental Science –I||Ship Operation Technology – I|
|Marine Engineering & Control System – I||Engineering Workshop I|
|Mathematics- III||Navigation- II|
|Physics- III||Seamanship lab- II|
|Environmental Science –II||Marine Engineering & Control System – II|
|Maritime Law – I|
|Engineering Chemistry||Marine Management & Maritime Commerce|
|Electronics||Ship Operation Technology – II|
|Computer science||Engineering Workshop II|
|Voyage Plan & Collision Prevention-II|
|Voyage Plan||Ship Visits Boat Work|
|IMO ConvenNaval Arch – Ship Stability I||Collision Prevention – III|
|Navigation -III (Bridge Equipment)||PT, Games, Swimming|
|Ship Operation Technology – III (All Cargos)|
|Marine Engineering & Control System – III||Ship Visits, Industry Visits|
|Maritime Law – II||Project.|
B.Sc. Nautical Science Admission Procedure
Students must first ensure that they are aware of the B.Sc. nautical science eligibility criteria in order to be admitted to the program. The admissions process prioritizes two modes; students must meet the 10+2 requirements. They must also take the national entrance exam in order to be admitted to the college of their choice. The course is classified as a B.Sc. and thus has a similar application process. The following are the steps in the admissions process in general:
- Admission to B.Sc. Nautical Science colleges is available via online or offline registration. Most colleges require the registration number or final scores of the entrance examination as part of the admissions process, as it is an important screening requirement for them.
- They must also fill out an application and provide all required documents, as well as medical certificates.
- Candidates are chosen through three different screening processes. Students must achieve the required scores in their 10+2 and pass the entrance exam cut-off.
- As an admission criterion, medical fitness and a vision test will be conducted. In order to be admitted, the candidate must maintain a level of fitness that the College/University expects.
- The candidate will be called for a counselling session with the guidance counselor for guidance in the course based on the results of the fitness test and application form.
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Important Entrance Exams
Some colleges and universities admit students based on their performance on entrance exams. The following are some of the most important entrance exams for admission to the B.Sc. Nautical Science program:
- IMU CET: IMU CET is a national-level entrance exam held once a year by the Indian Maritime University to admit students to various undergraduate and graduate programs. All students who pass this all-India common entrance exam are accepted into the Marine Engineering program.
- The Cochin University of Science and Technology Entrance Exam: The Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) conducts a university-level combined entrance examination to provide admission to UG and PG courses at the university.
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Focus Areas
- The Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science is a three-year undergraduate program that teaches students about the control, navigation, cargo handling, and operation of marine vessels used in defense, merchant navy, and shipping.
- Understanding the concept of nautical motion, navigation, and operational process required in the development, monitoring, operation, and maintenance of marine vessels is the main focus of this course.
- It also teaches students seamanship and provides onboard knowledge on how to deal with a variety of problems related to the vessel’s and cabin’s propulsion.
- Students can find work in both private and government organisations after completing the course.
- Students can work for the Indian Navy or for private shipping and research companies based on the sea.
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Preparation Plan
Before beginning the course, students should spend time researching the entrance examination and the course. Students who mentally and physically prepare themselves ahead of time will have a better chance of succeeding in the course and, as a result, will have a more pleasant experience when applying for the course.
- Time Management: Students will be able to learn about time management skills by learning about the coursework ahead of time. Because the course includes a lot of practical work, students will have the opportunity to prepare for it ahead of time.
- Go through last year’s papers: Set aside time to go over the previous year’s exam papers to get a sense of the types of questions that will be asked on the entrance exams.
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Top Institutes
The table below lists some of the top maritime institutes that offer B.Sc. Nautical Science, as well as their course fees and average salary expectations:
|Institute Name||Place||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||INR 6 Lakhs||INR 7 Lakhs|
|Vels University||Chennai||INR 3.08 Lakhs||INR 7 Lakhs|
|Indian Maritime University||Chennai||INR 2.25 Lakhs||INR 5 Lakhs|
|AMET University||Chennai||INR 3.25 Lakhs||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Maritime Engineering and Research Institute||Mumbai||INR 2.25 Lakhs||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Mangalore Marine College and Technology||Mangalore||INR 2.2 Lakhs||INR 7 Lakhs|
|Park Maritime Academy||Coimbatore||INR 1.77 Lakhs||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training||Chennai||INR 3.25 Lakhs||INR 4.5 Lakhs|
|Tolani Maritime Institute||Pune||INR 3.96 Lakhs||INR 8 Lakhs|
|B.P Marine Academy||Navi Mumbai||INR 8 Lakhs||INR 4 Lakhs|
|Coimbatore Maritime College||Coimbatore||INR 6.5 Lakhs||INR 7 Lakhs|
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Important Skills
Graduates of B.Sc. Nautical Science, like graduates of any other profession, will need a set of soft and hard skills to help them succeed in their careers. Among these abilities are:
- Time Management Skills
- Physical Fitness
- People and Crew Management Skills
- The Ability to Work Under Pressure
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Top Job Profiles
Graduates in the field of nautical science have a lot of job opportunities in technical fields. Chief Officer, Deck Cadet, Second Officer, Captain, as well as Marine Engineer, Radio Officer, Nautical Surveyors,Oceanographer, and other positions are available to graduates.
|Job Profiles||Description of Job||Average |
|Deck Officer||The deck officer’s primary responsibilities are in the executive department. Deck Officers are primarily in charge of the ship’s navigation and safe handling. They are also in charge of the ship-to-shore communications, cargo handling and delivery, and all life-saving equipment. As an onboard merchant vessel, their role is critical.||INR 2 to 8 Lakhs|
|Nautical Surveyor||The inspection of equipment intended for new and existing vessels by nautical surveyors to ensure compliance with various standards and specifications is their job. Nautical surveyors examine the structure, machinery, and equipment related to navigation, safety, and radio.||INR 6 to 8 Lakhs|
|Scuba Diver||Scuba divers use scuba equipment to work beneath the water’s surface. Scuba equipment is used to inspect, repair, remove, and install equipment and structures. They must use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, torches, sledgehammers, and welding equipment, among other things, to accomplish this.||INR 6 to 8.5 Lakhs|
|Marine Superintendent||The marine superintendent’s job is to ensure that the vessels are operated in a safe, cost-effective, and efficient manner. All of this work is under their supervision. The planning and execution of shipyard repair work are the primary responsibilities of a marine superintendent.||INR 15 to 20 Lakhs|
|Marine Engineer||They are usually employed by private businesses. They conduct research, develop, and build new marine vessels and their components. They also repair and maintain the vehicles that are already on the road.||INR 2 to 6.13 Lakhs|
B.Sc. Nautical Science: Benefits and Scope
- The B.Sc. Nautical Science program is one of the best and most popular in the field of seamanship and for those interested in pursuing a career in nautical science.
- In companies like SAIL, Coal India, ONGC, GSI (Geological Survey of India), Government Operated Quarries, and others, it offers some of the best jobs in both the private and public sectors.
- Marine engineer, radio officer, nautical surveyor, Deck cadet, and other designations are possible after completing a B.Sc. in Nautical Science.
- This field is related to Maritime Studies, which is a fun and exciting field to work in.
- The subject has a very broad scope. One can either serve as a captain on the ship or return to work as a consultant or engineer in a reputable firm afterward.
- There are fewer people on the course, and it is less crowded. In addition, the pay and benefits it provides are superior to those of any other course.
- Higher education in the field of nautical science has a lot of potential. Students can specialize in a specific field of education by earning a master’s degree or completing a certificate course in the field. They can also improve their chances of landing a higher-paying job with a senior title. Masters in Maritime Technology, Masters in Marine Transportation Management and M.Sc. Nautical Science, are some of the popular master’s courses that students pursue after completing a B.Sc in Nautical Science.
- Graduates of the B.Sc. Nautical Science program are in high demand, as marine services across the country require graduates to assist them in carrying out their duties. The graduates of this course have a very rewarding career because admission to the course is very competitive. The demand for this course’s graduates is always greater than the number of people who apply and graduate.
A deck officer’s work is primarily in the executive department. They are in charge of the ship’s construction and safe handling, as well as cargo handling and delivery, and the operation of all lifesaving devices.
The course lasts three years and is broken down into six semesters.
Those who have completed graduate-level studies in nautical science can pursue higher-level courses, such as the M.Sc in Nautical Science. They can also enroll in a Post Graduate Diploma in Logistics and Shipping program.
Aside from that, they can get certified in the latest technologies, emerging tools, and languages to keep their skills and knowledge up to date, which will help them advance in their careers and earn a higher salary.
Students must have completed (10+2) Secondary and Higher Secondary education from a recognized board with a minimum of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Medical standards, in addition to educational qualifications, are relevant and important in evaluating candidates. Candidates must have a vision of 6/6 and be free of vision impairments such as night blindness or color blindness. Candidates must also be physically fit in order to apply for the course.
Some of the entrance exams for B.Sc. Nautical Science admission include:
Coimbatore Marine College Entrance Exam,
Central Institute of fisheries nautical and engineering entrance exam
Cochin University of Science and Technology Entrance Exam
Yes, certification programs for students of Nautical Science are available. Some of the certificate programs include the following:
ShipWright (shipbuilding and ship repairing)
Chemical Tanker Familiarization (CTF)
ShipMasters Medicare etc.
Oil Tanker Familiarization (OTF)
Post Graduate Diploma in Marine Engineering
Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
General Purpose Rating (GP Rating)
Pre – sea Training for Graduates (GME)
Graduate Marine Engineering
Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF)
Post Graduate Program in Maritime Law
In India, the average course fee is between INR 2 and INR 8 lakhs for the entire duration.