The NEST 2023 application process will start soon. The NEST 2023 is the abbreviation for National Entrance Screening Test, it is conducted by NISER (National Institute for Science Education and Research) Bhubaneswar and Mumbai University – Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CEBS), Mumbai.
Candidates seeking admission in 5-year integrated programmes of M.Sc. have an opportunity to take a chance in the NEST.
Information regarding the important dates, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result, application form, etc. are mentioned below in this article. Candidates are requested to check the details wisely, which are mentioned below in this article.
Table of Contents
NEST 2023 Application Form will be released on February 2023. Check here for application details.
NEST 2023 Exam Date will be announced soon. It will be held on June 2023. Check here for exam date details.
|Name of Exam||NEST|
|Exam Fullform||National Entrance Screening Test|
|Type of Exam||PG Level|
|Level of Examination||National|
|Offered Courses||5 Year M.Sc Course|
|Conducted By||National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) & UM–DAE CEBS|
|Mode of Registration||Online|
|Mode of Exam||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Date of Exam||June 2023|
|Duration of Examination||3 Hrs 30 Minutes|
|Email ID||[email protected]|
NEST 2023 Important Exam Dates
Here we are discussing the information of the NEST 2023 Important Dates. Get here specifics of the NEST Important Dates that will be beneficial for you to get all the notifications.
|Start of Application Process||February 2023|
|Last date to submit the application form||May 2023|
|Admit card Release Date||June 2023|
|NEST 2023 Exam Date||June 2023|
|Announcement of Result||July 2023|
|Commencement of Counseling Process||July 2023|
NEST 2023 Application Form
Applicants who wish to participate in the examination must register and complete the initial application form. The NEST application form is not available in any other mode. The applicants should correctly meet the eligibility criteria before completing the application form.
If the applicant does not qualify for examination and fill out the NEST 2023 application form, the application fee will not be reimbursed. Also, the NEST request form does not ensure admission to one of the institutions involved. To this end, the applicants are required to undergo many phases that we will discuss in the article below.
NEST 2023 Application Form Overview
The following details concerning the NEST application form must be reviewed by the applicants:
- NEST registration form will officially be announced on February 2023.
- The last date for applying is May 2023 for the third week.
- The application form can be filled in online by applicants.
- During submission, applicants must also upload images and signatures in the required format.
- The valid/working e-mail ID & telephone number in the application form must also be provided.
- Applicants also need to meet their preference for the city of the examination.
- Finally, it is advisable to print the filled-in registration form for future use.
How to Fill the NEST 2023 Application Form
The applicants must fill out the online application form for the NEST 2023. It can be somewhat difficult to complete the application form and go through the registration process because everything is online. The applicants may follow the below steps to make it easier to complete the NEST application form.
Process of Registration
- Step 1: First candidates will have to go to the official website of NEST.
- Step 2: After that candidate has to find and click on ‘Online application’ tab
- Step 3: Once the window opens the candidate will have to provide all the required details such as full name, Date of Birth, Registration No. (printed in your mark sheet), email ID etc.
- Step 4: After filling the deatils the candidate has to click on ‘ Register’.
- Step 5: To log on, the applicants must enter the registration number and password of the NEST which will be sent to their registered Email IDs.
- Step 6: After the candidate has been logged in, he/she will have to go through multiple sections.
- Step 7: In the ‘Personal Information’ tab, the applicant will have to provide their name, date of birth, mobile number etc.
- Step 8: In the ‘Exam City Preference’, the applicant has to select at least five NEST exam centres as per their preference.
- Step 9: In the ‘Educational Qualification Details’, the applicant has to provide the information related to their academic stage.
- Step 10: After providing academics information, the applicants are sent to the uploading section where the scanned images of the required documents must be uploaded.
- Step 11: After the documents are uploaded, the applicants must send the NEST registration fee. The website will forward applicants to a secured portal through which they will be able to pay for their NEST registration form.
NEST 2023 Application Fee
- Application fees must be paid by debit / credit-card or net banking in online mode.
- It is not possible to send the Council a demand draft for the fee.
- NISER Leading Body evidently said that the application fee for the students will not be collected physically by any centre.
Below is the NEST fee structure. Candidates must pay the fee on the basis of the category.
|Category||NEST Application Fee|
|General/ OBC/ EWS||INR 1200|
|SC/ ST/ PWD/ Female||INR 600|
Documents Required to Fill NEST 2023 Application Form:
- Scanned images of photo and signature
- Class 10 marksheet
Specification of the images to be uploaded:
|Photo||jpg/jpeg||upto 80 KB|
|Signature||jpg/jpeg||upto 80 KB|
NEST 2023 Admit Card
The details of the NEST 2023 admit card are mentioned here. The admit card NEST 2023 is available via online mode. To download the NEST 2023 Admit Card, students must enter their login credentials.
The Authority will issue the NEST 2023 Hall Ticket on June 2023 through online mode. NEST Admit card will not be sent by the authority to the applicants by mail or courier.
The students shall be required to obtain the NEST 2023 Admit Card along with the ID proof on the day of the exam, as required by the authorities. Without the NEST 2023 Admit Card nobody is authorised to enter in the examining hall.
The admit card of the applicants will have the following details printed on:
- Name of the Applicant.
- Roll Number
- Candidate’s Photograph
- Exam Centre
- Exam Name
- Date and time of the examination
- Rules and regulations to be followed by the applicants on the day of the exam.
NEST 2023 Answer Key
NEST Answer key is released in online mode on the website. It will be published in June 2023. The key answer contains correct answers to all questions posed in the question papers. Using the answer key, applicants can guess their mark well before the result declaration of the examination.
To download the response key, the applicants must provide their roll number & date of birth. The answer key is in two sets like SET A & SET B. Applicants can also challenge the response key.
NEST 2023 Result
Here we mention the results of the NEST 2023. The results of NEST 2023 will be published in July 2023. The results of NEST 2023 will be provided once the test is over. The results of NEST 2023 are released in online mode.
User ID and password can be entered to obtain the NEST 2023 result. Details of students like marks obtained, roll number, name of candidate, dates of examination, photograph, rank, score etc will be included in NEST 2023 results.
The students must score at least 90 marks out of the 180 marks to be called qualified. The cut-off is published once the NEST Result is declared. The student must qualify for the examination with the minimum required marks or more in order to be shortlisted for the further process of counselling.
How to Check NEST 2023 Result?
- Candidate should visit the official website and login using their user id and password credentials.
- Now the candidates needs to find and click on the result tab ‘NEST 2023 Result’
- Now candidate should download the result along with answer key.
- After completing the above steps, the candidate should check the cut-off score.
- The scorecard of the candidate will provide a brief understanding of the merit list.
- The final list of applicants will be released, on the basis of the result and merit list.
- This final list will contain the names of the shortlisted applicants who are eligible for the counselling procedure.
Details Provided in the NEST Result 2023
The result of NEST 2023 will provide the following details:
- Name of the applicants
- Application Number and Roll Number
- Marks obtained in the entrance test
- Qualifying status
NEST 2023 Cut-off
NEST Cut-off is released via online mode. The required minimum marks to be obtained by applicants for the examination shall be cut-off. It is based on several aspects, such as number of candidates, level of difficulty, the cut-off trend in previous years and many more.
For various categories, the expected cut off in line with the previous year’s trend is:
NEST Merit List 2023
The NEST 2023 merit list includes the names of applicants in the list with their ranks. The NEST Merit List will be published after the results are announced in online mode. Applicants whose names are on the merit list are to take part in the counselling.
Preparation of the NISER Merit List:
- A applicant must achieve a level of merit equal to or above the total minimum allowable percentile (MAP).
- A applicant shall have a score equal to or greater than the corresponding SMAS in both the general section and all four subject areas.
- The overall score with three best score of the other subject sections is taken into account for the merit rank.
Preparation of the CEBS Merit List:
- To obtain a ranking in merit, an applicant must score equal to or above the total minimum admissible percentile (MAP).
- The applicant must score in the general section as well as in any of the three subject sections equal to or greater than the respective SMAS.
- The result of the general section together with three best scores from the remaining subject areas is taken into account for the merit rank.
Tie-breaking for merit list
If 2 or more applicants receive the same score, the tie is resolved using the following steps:
- Applicants with a higher score get a better rank in the general section.
- If the tie is still present, the best scores would be compared in the subject area of both candidates. The candidate with the better marks in any of the subject section would get a better rank. A better rank would be obtained by the student with a better score in any of the subject sections.
- When the still tie remains, at the time of declaration of result, the students will obtain the same provisional rank and the tie would be broken when comparing class 12 and the date of birth in the order, while admission/ counselling.
NEST 2023 Counselling
The NEST counselling process is carried out in different rounds in offline mode. It will be released after the selection of the applicant. At the time of counselling for verification & submission, applicants will also have to bring original & photo documentation.
It’ll be compulsory to participate in the counselling process for all eligible students. Only after the counselling session will the applicants be offered admission. Applicants will have to appear separately for counselling at the NISER and UM-DAE-CBS campuses within a limited period of time.
Documents Required for Counselling
The applicant will required to bring the following documents:
- Mark sheets of 10+2.
- In case the applicant has already completed some diploma course after 12th then the mark sheet for the diploma is also required.
- Along with mark sheet certificate is also required.
- Applicants have to carry a minimum of 3 passport-sized photos along with them.
- Either of the address proofs likes; voter id card, Aadhar card, bank passbook, LIC policy document, ration card or any other government address proof.
- In the case of SC and ST applicants, government certificate for the class category is necessary to be submitted.
- Id proof like; driving license, pan card, voter id card, Aadhar card, 10+2 admit card or any other document issued by Government of India authority.
The counselling process will be done primarily in two rounds; one is group discussion and the other is personal interview:
- In the group, discussion applicant’s in-depth knowledge is evaluated.
- In personal interview, applicants are counselled and mentally prepared for the course they are aspiring.
- Being a 5-year integrated course, the candidates need to really focus on their real aspiration towards a specific course.
|GIPE M.Sc.||JEST for PhD||RIE CEE|
NEST 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The NEST 2023 eligibility criteria shall be published with a formal admission notification by NISER Bhubaneswar and the Basic Science Centre, University of Mumbai. Before submitting the application form, applicants who appear for the entrance examination should check the NEST 2023 eligibility criteria. NEST 2023 can only be undertaken by those students who have completed their 12th class exam with a regular science stream.
Eligibility criteria for NEST 2023 include the age and academic qualifications for NISER Bhubaneswar and CEBS Integrated MSc programmes. Any applicant who does not adhere with NEST 2023 eligibility requirements, but does pass the entrance exam, will not be considered admitted. Read the article below for further information on NEST 2023 criteria for eligibility.
- The applicant should be born before August 2000.
- Sam condition apply for both general and OBC candidates.
- For SC/ ST applicants, a total of five years of relaxation is provided.
- Applicants should have passed 10+2 exam from a reputed board.
- Candidates in their final can also apply for the exam.
- Applicants need to have Mathematics as a compulsory subject in their 10+2 examination.
- Other than mathematics, mandatory subjects are physics, chemistry, biology or life science subjects.
Minimum Marks Required
- General category applicants must have a minimum of 60% marks aggregate in their 10+2 final exam.
- For SC, ST students required percentage is 55%.
- Applicants belonging from the states like J&K, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana will have a quota of 15%.
NEST 2023 Exam Pattern
For a period of 3 hours and 30 minutes NEST 2023 is carried out in computer mode. Five sections with MCQs are included in the NEST 2023 exam. For certain sections of the table below, negative marking is applicable.
NEST 2023 Exam Pattern Overview:
|Duration of Exam||3.5 hours|
|Questions Types||Multiple Choice|
|No. of Sections||5|
|Sectional Marks||Section I – 30 Marks|
Section II-V – 50 Marks
|Marking Scheme||No negative marking will be applied for Section I|
Important Details of NEST 2023 Exam Pattern
- Mode of Exam: The NEST 2023 exam will be conducted via Online (computer-based) mode.
- Time Duration: The NEST 2023 exam will be conducted in a duration of 3 hours.
- Type of Questions: The format of the question paper will be of the Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ).
- Total marks: The question paper will consist of a total of 230 marks.
- Sections: The question paper will have a total of 5 sections. Section 1 will consist of general section, Section 2 will be of questions from Biology, Section 3 will have questions from Chemistry, Section 4 will be from Mathematics, and finally the Section 5 will be from Physics.
|Section 1||General Section|
|Section 2||Questions from Biology|
|Section 3||Questions from Chemistry|
After attempting section 1, the applicant has attempt any other 3 sections.
NEST 2023 Exam Pattern: Section Wise Marking Scheme
Candidates must check following table for marking in various sections:
NEST 2023 Syllabus
The details of the NEST 2023 Syllabus are mentioned here. Before appearing and starting the examination paper, all students must know the entire NEST 2023 curriculum.
NEST 2023 Syllabus is focused on the 11th and 12th science streams for CBSE and NCERT. NEST 2023 Syllabus will be released by the authority on the official Website in Online Mode.
|General Section||This section does not have a specific curriculum. The questions are intended to test the ability of an applicant to gain an overview of general science (physics , chemistry, biology , mathematics, astronomy, computer studies and environmental science).|
|Biology||Cell Biology, Genetics and Evolution, Ecology, Humans and Environment, Biotechnology, Biology of Animal systems, Developmental Biology, Immunology, Biology of Plant systems, Systematics|
|Chemistry||Physical Chemistry: Measurements in chemistry, Mole concept, Gaseous and liquid states, Atomic structure and chemical bonding, Thermodynamics, Chemical equilibrium, Solid State, Solutions, Surface chemistry, Classification of elements and periodicity in properties, s– Block element, sp– Block elements, Coordination compounds, Metals and metallurgy, Organic Chemistry: Basic concepts, Reactive intermediates Nomenclature, Alkenes and Alkynes, Aromatic compounds, Haloalkanes (Alkyl halides), Phenols, Ethers, Aldehydes and Ketones Amines, Carbohydrate, Amino acids and proteins, Polymers|
|Mathematics||Algebra, Trigonometry, Analytical geometry, Differential calculus, Integral calculus, Vectors|
|Physics||General Physics, Sound and mechanical waves, Thermal physics, Electricity and magnetism, Optics, Modern physics|
NEST 2023 Preparation Tips
Here we talk about the way that preparatory strategies are dealt with. The NEST 2023 Preparation Tips will assist you in the entry test.
- Stay fit and eat healthy food.
- You can check your preparation speed and accuracy by participating in regular Mock Test.
- Make the correct time table and observe the studies periodically.
- Make short notes and continue to regularly review them.
- Maintain your health and stay fit.
- Solve questions and sample papers consisting of the previous year.
NEST 2023 Preparatory Books
The list of books that can be used for preparation is given below:
|Name of the book||Publisher or author||ISBN|
|Modern ABC of Textbook Chemistry||Dr. S.P.Jauhar||9351841219|
|Aptitude Test problems in Physics||S.S Krotov||9350941449|
|Concepts of Physics||H.C. Verma||8177091875|
|Genetic Engineering||P.S Verma||B00QUYL11W|
|Objective Biology||M.P. Tyagi and J.P Goyal||818722374X|
|Integral Calculus||Amit M. Agarwal||9311126225|
|Skills in Mathematics Coordinates Geometry for IIT JEE||S.K Goyal||9351761401|
NEST 2023 – Programmes offered
For those applicants who want to obtain entry in 5-year integrated M.SC courses offered by the NISER and CEBS programmes, the national entrance test will be conducted. The following table provides a breakdown of the total courses offered by the participating institutes:
|Name of School||Programme (5 Year Integrated)|
|School of Biological Sciences||M.Sc Biological Science|
|School of Chemical Sciences||M.Sc Chemical Science|
|School of Physical Sciences||M.Sc Physical Science|
|School of Mathematical Sciences||M.Sc Mathematical Science|
|School of Computer Sciences||M.Sc Computer Science|
|School of Environmental Sciences||M.Sc Environmental Science|
NEST 2023 Admission Process Review
Acceptance in NEST 2023 will take many phases of the process of selection. From registering to the fee for the registration form, to the admit card download, to finally being shortlisted for NEST counselling. In order to have a basic understanding of the NEST selection process on the phase, the applicants may review the bullet points provided below.
- Applicants need first and foremost to start with the registration stage, which essentially takes place on the official website. You must login to complete the NEST online application form.
- After the application, form fee has been sent and the process for NEST has been completed, applicants must wait until the admit card, a hall pass, is formulated for their online exam.
- The NEST 2023 online test is a three-hour and thirty-minute computer-based exam.
- NEST results are declared by the participating institutions in online mode as a cut-off and merit list.
- NEST counselling is required for the selected and eligible applicants.
NEST 2023 FAQ
The test is performed in the computer-based mode , i.e. in the online mode.
You can click on the ‘Forgot password’ option in this case. By clicking on the ‘Reset Password’ option, your password will be reset. NEST officials will send the requested details to your registered email ID and mobile numbers to reset your password.
The applicants only have to check the NEST outcome online by logging into the official portal.
Applicants need to upload their scanned photo copies, signature copies.
The NEST 2023 exam will be conducted by the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) and the University of Mumbai-Department of Atomic Energy Center for Basic Sciences Excellence (UM-DAE CEBS).
No, there is no offline availability of the application form. Applicants only need to complete and submit the NEST 2023 application form online.
No, only five-year integrated M.Sc programmes are provided by the participating institutes.
For NEST 2023, applicants wishing to pursue an M.Sc. in basic sciences (Physics , Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics) in the 5-year Integrated Program offered by NISER and UM-DAE CEBS will be required to apply.
For applicants who have insight on the fundamental concepts of science, NEST is not challenging. Questions from classes 11 and 12 are asked in this paper.
NEST consists of questions from the basic concepts of the science stream of multiple choice. The general difficulty level of the examination is not very high. NEST, however, is referred to as simpler by experts compared to JEE Main.
Yes. Even if you belong to the PCB stream, you can apply for NEST 2023, as the paper contains a general section that everyone needs to try. In addition, another 4 sections are optional and, according to his / her understanding, an applicant can try questions.
You can ask us if you have further questions about NEST 2023 by leaving your comments in the comment box below.