According to the JEE Main 2022 Chemistry exam format, there will be a total of 30 questions, of which students must correctly respond to 25. The number of NAT questions for the Chemistry section has increased for this year. There will be a total of 10 questions given to the students, and they can choose to respond to any five of them.
Physical, organic, and inorganic chemistry-related questions of the objective variety are found in the Chemistry section. Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties, Hydrogen, Organic Compounds containing Halogens, Purification and Characterization of Organic Compounds, Chemical Thermodynamics, Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure, are a few of the important topics.
Table of Contents
Overview of JEE Main 2022 Chemistry Exam Pattern
|Examination Mode||Computer Based Test (Online)|
|Marking Scheme||+4 for the correct answers and -1 for incorrect answer|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|Language of Exam||Hindi, English and Gujarati (Only for centers in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli)|
|Types of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Value Based|
|Total Number of Questions||30 (20+10) Questions|
Details of JEE Main 2022 Chemistry Exam Pattern
- JEE Main 2022 Exam Format: JEE Main 2022 will only be administered online, using a computer-based test.
- Syllabus for JEE Main Chemistry: Physical chemistry, organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry are the three divisions of the chemistry curriculum. The JEE Main Chemistry Syllabus for 2021 includes the topics from each of the three sections.
- JEE Main Marking Scheme: For each correct response, candidates will receive 4 marks under the JEE Main 2022 Marking Scheme. For each incorrect response, one mark will be taken away. There won’t be any deducted points for questions with a numerical value.
- JEE Main Exam Time Limit: Candidates have a total of 3 hours to complete 75 (of the total of 90) questions.
- Medium of Question Paper: Candidates can take the exam in any of the three languages—Hindi, English, or Gujarati—depending on their preference for the question-and-answer format (Only for centres in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli).
Marking Scheme for JEE Main 2022 Chemistry
- For each correct response, candidates will get 4 marks.
- For each incorrect response, one mark will be deducted.
- Unattempted questions receive a zero mark.
- Numerical value-based questions won’t carry any negative marks.
- On the OMR sheet, candidates are advised not to select more than one option. The question will be deemed incorrect and you will get negative marks.
Importance of Knowing Exam Pattern
- To prepare well for the entrance exam, it is crucial to comprehend the JEE Main 2022 exam format.
- The exam format reveals the time duration of the assessment, the types and numbers of questions that will be asked, the weighting of the sections, and the marks assigned to each topic.
- One should remember the question paper format even if they are in the final stages of preparation.
- Stress and anxiety related to the exam can be reduced by thoroughly reviewing the key concepts.
- Attempting mock exams and understanding the paper format together can help you better prepare for the actual exam.
Important Topics for JEE Main 2022 Chemistry
Chemistry is the section that determines rank for the majority of aspirants because it focuses primarily on the fundamentals and has less calculative questions than the Physics and Mathematics sections of the JEE Main, making it easier for students to perform well.
To get a better grade in Chemistry, a candidate must cover a lot of chapters and topics. Finding the key chapters and topics for JEE Main Chemistry is not difficult; you can do this by consulting JEE Main question papers from previous years.
Additionally, in order to assist the candidates, we have listed below the key chapters or topics from the JEE Main Chemistry section:
For Organic Chemistry
|Biomolecules and Polymers||Alcohol and Ethers||Chemistry in Action|
|Carbonyl Compounds||Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives||Classification and Nomenclature|
|General Organic Chemistry||Haloalkanes||Haloarenes and Phenols|
|Hydrocarbons: Alkanes, Alkenes, and Alkynes||Isomerism||Nitrogen Compound and Aliphatic Amines|
|Practical and Environmental Chemistry||Ozonolysis||Grignard Reagent|
For Inorganic Chemistry
|Chemical Bonding||Coordination Compounds||D-Block and F-Block Elements|
|Metallurgy||P-Block Elements Periodic Properties||Qualitative Analysis|
|S-Block Elements||Hydrogen and its Compounds||–|
For Physical Chemistry
|Chemical Equilibrium||Atomic Structure||Chemical Kinetics|
|Electrochemistry||Gaseous State||Ionic Equilibrium|
|Mole Concept||Nuclear Chemistry||Redox and Volumetric Analysis|
|Solid State Solution (General and Colligative Properties)||Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry||–|
Chapter-wise Weightage for JEE Main 2022 Chemistry
Here is a list of the chapters or topics in Chemistry that are crucial for the JEE Main 2022 exam based on questions from previous years:
For Physical Chemistry
|Chapters||Average Number of questions||Weightage|
|Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry||1-2||4-8%|
|States of Matter||1||4%|
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||1-3||4-12%|
|Atomic Structure & Nuclear Chemistry||0-2||0-8%|
|Solutions & Colligative Properties||0-1||0-4%|
|Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry||0-1||0-4%|
For Inorganic Chemistry
|Classification of Elements||1-2||4-8%|
|D-Block & F-Block elements||0-1||0-4%|
For Organic Chemistry
|Some basic Principles of Organic Chemistry||0-2||0-8%|
|Alkyl Halide, Alcohol & Ether (Reaction Mechanism)||1-3||4-12%|
|Chemistry in everyday life||0-1||0-4%|
|Grignard Reagent, Reduction, Oxidation & Hydrolysis||0-1||0-4%|
|Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives||0-1||0-4%|
|Principles related to Practical Chemistry||0-1||0-4%|
Analysis of JEE Main Chemistry Paper
- Compared to the other two sections, JEE Main aspirants found the Chemistry section to be the easiest because there were no challenging questions.
- Some of them, though, were challenging inquiries.
- There was a strong emphasis on Class 12th syllabus, with the majority of questions in the JEE Main Chemistry section coming from NCERT textbooks.
- Candidates taking the exam in January 2022 are therefore advised to concentrate on Class 12th and Class 11th topics as well.
Scope of Chemistry
One of the key subjects in the JEE Main entrance exam is chemistry. Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry are the three divisions of Chemistry. Typically, theoretical questions from this subject are asked in exams. It is a field of science that focuses on understanding the composition, structure, and characteristics of matter. Additionally, it deals with the investigation of how various types of matter behave differently under various circumstances.
Your daily life is full of instances where chemistry, its use, and its principles are involved. Several of them are listed below:
- Scope of Chemistry in Food Production: Chemical fertilisers like calcium superphosphate, ammonium sulphate, sodium nitrate, and urea have been made possible by chemical research in chemistry. The use of some efficient insecticides has helped farmers protect their crops from pests and harmful bacteria. Preservatives were discovered thanks to chemistry.
- Scope of Chemistry in Industry: Chemistry is important and useful in the growth and development of many industries. Cement, glass, textiles, leather, etc. are a few examples. Nitric acid, sulfuric acid, and ammonia production have all increased as a result.
- Scope of Chemistry in protecting the environment: Science has given us chemicals that are safe for the environment, aiding in environmental conservation. Replace CFCs in the refrigerator, for instance.
- Scope of Chemistry in War: The discovery of highly explosive substances like dynamite, nitroglycerine, and TNT was greatly aided by chemistry. Additionally, it aids in the detection of toxic gases like mustard gas and phosgene.
Important Guidelines for Candidates
- A minimum of one original and current photo identification document, such as an Aadhar card, passport, college ID, PAN card, driver’s licence, voter ID, or employer ID, must be brought to the testing location for verification.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the examination room. Candidates who had a medical condition were permitted to bring medication.
- Candidates must arrive at the testing location 60 minutes prior to the start of the test.
- Only those candidates whose credentials are confirmed by the exam centre staff are permitted to take the exam.
- The computers that are available to the aspirants in the hallway should not be tampered with.
- Only a JEE Main 2022 admit card with the candidate’s signature and photo clearly visible will be accepted.
- Check that the computer assigned to you is in good working order after taking a seat.
- Verify the picture of yourself that will appear on the screen in the right-upper corner.
- As soon as you sign into your account, important instructions will appear on the screen for you to read.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. The JEE Main Chemistry Exam Pattern specifies that only multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and questions with numerical values will be included in the test.
Ans. The Chemistry section will be tested with 30 questions. 25 of these candidates must respond.
Ans. In JEE Main 2022, there is no sectional limit. Candidates are allowed to spend as much time on a given section.