A national level entrance test for architecture is the JEE Main B.Arch Exam. Students who are selected for this esteemed paper have the opportunity to enrol in top universities like the IITs, NITs, IIITs, and other public colleges across India to study the Bachelor of Architecture programme. JEE Main, the prerequisite exam for JEE Advanced, consists of three papers: Paper 1, Paper 2A, and Paper 2B. For the B.Arch. programme, Paper 2A is given.
The NTA has released the information brochure and the JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern. According to the most recent exam pattern, there will be 82 questions in total, but students will only be required to respond to 77 of them. The B.Arch exam will have a total score of 400 marks. The B.Arch question paper will be divided into two sections: MCQs and numerical value questions.
The various aspects of the JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern 2022 will be covered in this article. Aspirants can enter the nation’s top architecture schools with the aid of this exam.
Table of Contents
Overview of JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern 2022
A computer-based exam will be used for half of the B.Arch exam, while the traditional pen-and-paper format will be used for the Drawing section of JEE Main Paper 2A. The highlights of JEE Main 2022 exam pattern is given below:
|Particulars||2022 and 2021||2020|
Computer-based Test; The drawing section of the B.Arch paper will be pen and paper-based.
|Marking scheme||For MCQs: +4 for each correct answer and -1 for any wrong answer;
For NAT: +4 for each correct answer and 0 for any wrong answer;
For Drawing: +50 for each correct answer and 0 for any wrong answer
|Exam Duration||3.5 hours|
|Language of Exam (Revised)||English, Hindi, Urdu (All Center Cities)
|Hindi, English, and Gujarati (only for centers in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli)|
|Type of Questions||MCQs and Numerical Answer Type (NAT)|
|Sections||Mathematics (30 questions – 20 MCQs, 10 NAT)
Aptitude (50 MCQs)
Drawing (2 questions)
|Mathematics (35 questions – 20 MCQs, 5 NAT)
Aptitude (50 MCQs)
Drawing (2 questions)
|Total Number of Questions (Revised)||82 (Mathematics- 30; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)||77 (Mathematics- 25; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)|
|Total Number of Questions to be Answered (Revised)||77 (Mathematics- 25; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)||77 (Mathematics- 25; Aptitude- 50; Drawing- 2)|
Why should you go for JEE Main B.Arch Exam?
NTA currently conducts three papers and will do so again this year. They are B. Arch, B.Planning, and B.E/B.Tech. But this time, our attention will be on B.Arch and what exactly it entails.
- The JEE Main B.Arch program is for students who want to pass the exam and enroll in the best architecture schools.
- Even though the architecture is one of the most difficult learning paths available, its popularity as a career path and a learning stream has been growing steadily over time.
- Imagine being a student at an IIT and receiving top-notch instruction in architecture.
- JEE Main B.Arch 2022 and the JEE Advanced Architecture Aptitude Test would be useful in making this possible.
How Can the Candidates Benefit from Separate Papers for B. Arch and B. Planning?
- Candidates benefit greatly from the separate papers for B.Arch and B.Planning because the sections vary depending on the demands of each course.
- Any one of these papers or both of them are available for students to attempt.
- The aptitude and mathematics sections on both the B.Arch and B.Planning exams are the same because proficiency in these areas is required for admission to both programmes. Both of these papers, however, have a different third section.
- While the B.Arch paper contains drawing-related questions pertinent to B.Arch courses, the B.Planning paper contains planning-related objective type questions.
Modifications made by NTA in JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern
B.Arch Paper Pattern Changes
- In contrast to last year, there will be 5 more Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions in the Mathematics section of the JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern, bringing the total number of questions to 82. However, there will only be 77 questions to be answered by students, which will be divided into three sections:
- Section I: Mathematics
- Section II: Aptitude Test
- Section III: Drawing Examination
- Sections I and II of JEE Main Paper 2 will be conducted using computer-based testing (CBT).
- Questions of the Numerical Answer Type (NAT) have been added to Section I without any penalty points.
- Pen and paper will be used for Section III. There were three questions in this section of the paper earlier. Now, t here will be only be 2 questions.
|Section||Total Number of Questions||Questions to be Answered||Maximum Marks||Type of Questions|
|Mathematics||30 (20 + 10)||25 (20 + 5)||100||20 Objective Type (MCQs) and 10 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions|
|Aptitude Test||50||50||200||Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Drawing Test||2||2||100||Questions for drawing test|
Separate Papers for B.Arch and B.Planning
Up until 2019, B.Arch and B.Planning papers were regarded as one. For the first time in JEE mains history, candidates who wish to apply for B.Planning courses will take a separate exam. JEE Main will therefore be divided into three sections:
- B.Tech / B.E. Paper 1
- B.Arch Paper 2
- B.Planning Paper 3
Marking Scheme for JEE Main 2022 B.Arch Exam
|Type of Questions||For Each Correct Answer||For Each Incorrect Answer||For Each Unanswered Question|
Syllabus for JEE Main B.Arch 2022
Before the exam, it’s critical to gain a solid understanding of the JEE Main 2022 B.Arch Paper Syllabus so you can allocate your study time between this paper and others effectively. The MHRD’s announcement of a 30% reduction in the CBSE class XI and XII syllabus has caused changes in the JEE Main 2022 exam format.
|Mathematics||Sets, relations and functions; integral calculus; mathematical reasoning; sequences and series; permutations and combinations; limit, continuity and differentiability; differential equations; complex numbers and quadratic equations; coordinate geometry; vector algebra; statistics and probability; binomial theorem and its simple applications.|
|Aptitude||Awareness of persons, buildings, objects and persons; texture related to architecture and build-environment; visualizing three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings; analytical reasoning mental ability (visual, verbal as well as numerical); visualizing different sides of the three-dimensional objects|
|Drawing||Drawing and Designing of geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil; transformation of forms (both two-dimensional and three-dimensional union); elevation and three-dimensional views of objects rotation; development of surfaces and volumes; generation of a plan; sketching of activities from memory of urban scenes; creating two dimensional and three-dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms|
Recommended Books for JEE Main B.Arch Preparation
|Name of Book||Author|
|Class 11th & 12th Mathematics Books||NCERT|
|A Complete Self-Guide for B.Arch Entrance Examination||P.K. Mishra (Arihant)|
|Steps to Architecture (NATA) B.Arch. Entrance Exam||Nimish Madan|
|B.Arch/NATA/JEE Main – Offline Drawing Test||Nimish Madan|
|Complete Architecture Entrance Guide||Ashok Goel and Arjun Kamal|
Colleges Accepting JEE Main B.Arch Score
A list of prestigious universities offering B.Arch courses is given here:
|Name of College||Course Name|
|BITS – Mesra||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Urban Planning PhD|
|Chandigarh College of Architecture-Chandigarh||Bachelor of Architecture|
|Faculty of Technology and Engineering- Vadodara||Bachelor of Architecture|
|GITAM University- Visakhapatnam||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture|
|ICL Institute of Architecture- Ambala||Bachelor of Architecture|
|National Institute of Technology- Calicut||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Planning|
|National Institute of Technology- Hamirpur||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture|
|Malaviya National Institute of Technology- Jaipur||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Planning PhD|
|National Institute of Technology- Patna||Bachelor of Architecture Masters in Urban Planning|
|National Institute of Technology- Raipur||Bachelor of Architecture|
|National Institute of Technology- Rourkela||Bachelor of Architecture M.Tech Architecture and Planning PhD|
|National Institute of Technology- Tiruchirappalli||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture PhD|
|School of Planning & Architecture- New Delhi||Bachelor of Architecture Bachelor in Planning Master of Architecture Master in Planning PhD|
|School of Planning & Architecture- Bhopal||Bachelor of Architecture Bachelor in Planning Master of Architecture Master in Planning PhD|
|School of Planning & Architecture- Vijayawada||Bachelor of Architecture Bachelor in Planning Master of Architecture Master in Planning PhD|
|SRM University-Chennai||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Town and Regional Planning PhD Program|
|Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology- Nagpur||Bachelor of Architecture Master of Architecture PhD|
Analysis of the JEE Main B.Arch Exam’s Various Sections
JEE Main B.Arch Mathematics Section
- The first section of the JEE Main B.Arch paper is devoted to mathematics.
- After the drawing question, this section insulates the students the most.
- Later, this section is split into two sections: one contains MCQs, and the other is NAT.
- The syllabus for this test is the same as what you learned in the previous years, but it is simpler to pass because, at least in this section, the class 11th syllabus is given more weight.
- The topics of distance or 3D coordinate geometry, as well as integration and derivation, are frequently asked questions, with the first two topics receiving more inquiries than the latter two.
- There will be a total of 25 questions on it.
- Twenty of them will be multiple choice questions, and the remaining five will be questions with numerical values, also known as numerical answer types (NAT).
- Overall, this section is of 100 marks.
JEE Main B.Arch Aptitude Section
- As its name implies, the aptitude section of the JEE Main Paper 2 is renowned for assessing students’ aptitude.
- As the students claim, it is generally simpler and unquestionably even easier than the other sections.
- There will be 50 questions total, and this section will be worth 200 points.
- The majority of the questions concern mirror images, 3D structures, or other comparable figures. Other topics include the locations of some locations around the world, the textures of various objects, and much more.
- Students are advised to proceed with much more thought and caution because the aptitude section of JEE Main Paper 2 carries has negative marking.
JEE Main B.Arch Drawing Section
- Drawing questions will be included in this section, which is the final section of the paper.
- Additionally, this section will test the students’ drawing abilities and their ability to handle the pressure that the entire architecture year will put on them.
- The majority of architecture studies involve drawing, so if a student’s drawing abilities are not up to par, they won’t be able to pass the exam.
- There are only three questions in this section, and you must attempt two of them.
- They should be given more time and attention because they are worth a total of 100 marks.
- The section on drawing is done offline.
- Additionally, many of the questions are based on straightforward and elementary subjects like faces, gymnasts, cylinders, and even school playgrounds, to name a few.
- The majority of candidates for the JEE Main B.Arch examination assert that this section is the most challenging for them.
Preparation Tips for JEE Main 2022 B. Arch Paper
The following exam preparation tips are for students planning to take the JEE Main B.Arch Exam to help them do well on the test:
- Consult the math books for classes 11 and 12.
- Before moving on to the next topic, comprehend the basic idea of the current one.
- Set goals for yourself and work to achieve them.
- Refer to the books that the syllabus covers rather than studying from a variety of books.
- For the drawing section, practise drawing or sketching a lot.
- To get your questions answered as soon as possible, seek advice from elders or teachers.
- Write down key formulas for each chapter in brief notes.
- Solve enough sample and previous year’s test papers. After resolving the issue, evaluate your performance.
- As many times as you can, take the JEE Main Mock test.
Tricks for JEE Main 2022 B. Arch Paper
- Trick 1: Quickly summarise the B.Arch paper:
- When you receive the JEE main B. Arch paper, go through it and note the simple and challenging questions.
- In order to avoid missing out on a high score later due to skipping the simple questions, respond to them right away.
- It is advised that you attempt the Drawing section first because, despite having only two questions, they are worth a total of 100 points. Also Read What should I study for the JEE Main B.Arch Paper?
- Trick 2: Avoid spending a lot of time on a single question.
- It is strongly advised that you limit your time spent on MCQs and NAT questions in the B.Arch paper to 3 minutes.
- If you spend too much time on a single question, you’ll fall behind and run out of time to finish the entire paper in three hours.
- Continue to the following question if you are unable to resolve the previous one. At the end of the paper, you can try to respond to challenging questions.
- Trick 3: Maintain your optimism and self-assurance:
- As soon as the exam paper is given to you, remain composed, assured, and optimistic about your preparation.
- Your memory will become hazy and you’ll perform poorly in school. Have confidence in the preparation work you have done for the B.Arch paper.
- Trick 4: Avoid guessing at random when taking MCQs.
- In the JEE Main B.Arch exam, MCQs carry a penalty. Therefore, be careful not to respond to these questions at random.
- Even at the end of the paper, if you are still unable to find an answer to a question, leave it unanswered.
- Trick 5: Carefully read the questions:
- Avoid letting anxiety prevent you from carefully reading the questions. This is accurate of all three B.Arch paper sections.
- You might end up giving incorrect responses or creating incorrect sketches if you don’t understand the questions.
- Trick 6: Use unsoiled rough work
- Make sure your rough work for MCQs, NAT questions, and drawings is done in a way that is understandable.
- A given question will only become more complex if hasty work is done on it.
- To prevent confusion at any time, assign question numbers to all rough work that you complete.
- Trick 7: Verify your responses:
- It’s crucial that you double-check your JEE Main B.Arch exam answers. You can use this to find any errors you may have made when attempting the paper.
Exam Day Guidelines for JEE Main B.Arch
You can’t afford to have anything go wrong in your JEE Main 2022 B.Arch exam because a lot of unforeseen and undesirable things can happen on your exam day.
- Approximately two and a half hours prior to the start of the exam, the entrance gates to the exam centres will be opened.
- In order to avoid any hastiness and delays, especially in the final moments before the exam, students should arrive at their respective exam centres on time.
- Without a valid form of identification and the JEE Main 2022 admit card, no one will be allowed to enter the exam room.
- Cell phones, calculators, watches with calculators and pagers, books, notebooks, tablets, and other electronic devices are strictly prohibited from being brought into the exam centre.
- A limited number of pardons may be granted to students with medical issues. For instance, students with diabetes can only carry transparent water bottles and small items like sugar tablets or fruits. However, packed foods like sandwiches, chocolate, candies, wafers, etc. are not permitted, not even for diabetic students.
Career Scope and Job Opportunities for the JEE Main B. Arch
You can enroll in the best B.Arch programs in the nation with good performance in the JEE Main B.Arch Paper. A full-time, five-year B.Arch program is offered. The study of engineering, the arts, and technology are all applied to the practice of architecture.
There are several options these students can choose from in their lives if you’re wondering what will happen to them after passing the JEE Main exam, especially if you’re thinking about getting a B.Arch.
- After earning a Bachelor of Architecture, one can advance by pursuing a Master’s degree.
- A PhD in architecture is also an option, which will benefit the student’s career as a skilled architect even more.
- These students can find employment in the core field of architecture if they are not interested in pursuing further education because there are many opportunities there.
- There are many career options in architecture because the construction and design industries are booming.
- Both public and private sector employers seek M.Arch and B.Arch graduates.
- The departments of public works, interior design, urban development, and construction all offer employment opportunities.
- Architect firms and consultancy companies can also enhance your career prospects in architecture.
- B.Arch graduates are qualified to work on both construction sites and in offices.
- You can also work to design houses, apartments, colonies, stadiums, shopping complexes, and schools.
- Job Profiles– Data Analyst, Architecture Designer, Architecture Engineer, Interior Designer, Architecture Draftsman, Staff Consultant, Technical Assistant, Project Assistant Manager, Sales/Business Development Manager, Architectural Assistant, Architectural Historian/Journalist, Art Director, Building Contractor, and Landscape Architect are a few job profiles for B.Arch graduates.
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- Architect Consultants
- L&TVSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- DLFEdifice Architects Pvt. Ltd.
- JindalsChitra Vishwanath Architects
- IMAXESahara Group
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. There is no cutoff score for the JEE Main Paper 2. The number of JEE Main Paper 2 candidates and their exam performance are typically taken into account when determining the cut-off. Your grade on this paper matters a lot. According to the historical trend, if you achieve a score of 70% or higher, you can enroll in any prestigious B.Arch course.
Ans. You must – in order to prepare for JEE Main B.Arch
For the section on mathematics, consult the textbooks for Classes XI and XII.
Topics should be divided into weekly and monthly categories. Set attainable objectives.
To ace the aptitude and drawing sections, practice drawing and your powers of observation.
To prepare for 2D/3D questions, use your engineering drawing notes.
Make revision notes and flashcards.
Solve enough practice exams and papers from prior years.
Ans. It entirely depends on the ability and performance of the student. If you are genuinely interested in doing something, nothing is challenging.
Ans. The level of difficulty for JEE Main Paper 2 ranges from moderate to difficult. With its MCQs and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions, the mathematics section is typically very difficult. The aptitude test is not too difficult. While the Drawing section is typically quite simple, it takes a long time to complete.
Ans. The format for the JEE Main B.Arch Paper has changed. There are three sections in the JEE Main B.Arch. The mathematics section is in Section I. This section consists of 25 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and 10 NAT questions. All 25 MCQs and any 5 NAT questions from this section must be answered by the students. The aptitude section is in Section II. There are 50 MCQs from this section. Computer-based test (CBT) mode is used to administer Sections I and II. The Drawing Test section of Section III consists of 2 questions. You must use a pen and paper to draw on a piece of paper for this section, which is conducted offline.
Ans. Yes, a few questions on the JEE Main B.Arch exam have negative marking. Three different question types—MCQs, NATs, and drawing questions—are included in the test. MCQs are asked in the aptitude and mathematics sections. For every correct response, 4 marks are given, and for each incorrect response, 1 mark is deducted. There is no negative marking for NAT questions or drawings.