The CLAT 2023 exam will take place on December 18, 2022. CLAT application form extended. Registration for CLAT 2023 began on August 8th. The exam date has been made public. Common-Law Admission Test, is one of the most popular national-level admission tests for those who want to take admitted in India’s best colleges/ institutes for Law courses. Who is aiming to pursue Law course from India’s best colleges/ institutes, for those it is considered as the learner’s all-time favorite exam. Cracking this exam will provide them a chance to make their desire to be real.
CLAT exam is conducted by 18 National Law Universities rotationally. Since the CLAT exam is a national-level exam so its score is accepted by almost all the finest government, and private law colleges in India. In the article below, you will find all the related information on the CLAT examination such as the Registration Process, Eligibility, Exam Dates, Exam Syllabus, etc.
CLAT 2023 application form extended till Nov 18.
Registration for CLAT 2023 began on August 8th. The exam date has been made public.
Click here for more info regarding the Application Form.
Exam date for CLAT 2023 has been made public. It will take place on December 18, 2022. Find out more about the exam Important Dates.
Table of Contents
CLAT 2023 Highlights
|Exam Name||CLAT UG / PG 2023|
|Full Name||Common-Law Admission Test 2023|
|Conducting Body||A consortium of National Law Universities (NLUs)|
|Courses Offered||BA LLB/B.Sc LLB/BBA LLB/LLM|
|Application Fee||Gen/OBC/PWD/NRI – INR 4,000 |
SC/ST/BPL – INR 3,500
CLAT 2023 Important Exam Dates
All the important events and their dates of CLAT 2023 is given below:
|CLAT 2023 Application form released on||8th August 2022|
|Last date of submission of the CLAT 2023 application form||13th November 2022|
|CLAT 2023 Admit card releasing date||TBA|
|CLAT 2023 Test date||18 December 2022 (CLAT 2023)|
|CLAT 2023 Answer key releasing date||To be announced|
|Declaration of CLAT 2023 Result||To be announced|
|The counseling session starts from||To be announced|
CLAT Application Form 2023
CLAT exam is held for UG Law as well as PG Law courses. Before you start to fill the form of CLAT, you must check out all the eligibility criteria needed to appear for the CLAT exam. The application form for the CLAT exam will be filled in online mode. While filling in the details, you have to fill in the details correctly because the authority will not give you any chance to modify the details in the application form. After submitting the application form, candidates will have to take a printout of it for future references.
The Application form filling process of CLAT includes four stages such as registration process, form filling process, fee payment, and uploading the requisite documents. Candidates are instructed to fill the application form without any error and then cross-check all the filled details and then only submit the form.
Step by Step Process to Apply for CLAT 2023
The step by step procedure to fill the online application form is mentioned below:
Step 1: Registration Process
- First, open the website of CLAT.
- Now on the homepage, find the option for ‘New Registration’ under the section of ‘Registration Info’.
- Now click on the link and fill the registration form by entering all the details correctly.
- You have to provide required details such as Candidate’s Name, Parents’ Name, Email Id, Contact Details, and DoB, etc.
- After completing the registration process, a provisional registration no./ id will be provided to you on your registered email or phone no. You have to use the provided credential for future login.
Step 2: Fill the Application Form:
- Now to get access to the online application form of CLAT 2023, candidates will have to log in using their credentials.
- After login, candidates will have to the application form by providing all the necessary details such as Candidate’s Name, Parent’s Name, Gender, Nationality, Date of Birth, Age, Communication Address, Marital status, Postal address, etc.
- Next, candidates have to fill the options for the desired programs from the Undergraduate/ Postgraduate programs of Law course.
- Then, candidates will have to provide qualificational details such as 10th, 12th standard details, Bachelor’s details, Master details, Working Experience, etc.
- Now fill in the residential details, ability details, and many other details such as the Nationality, Residential State, Domicile State, Disability % (if any), University Category, Preferred Exam City, etc.
- While filling the choices you will require to fill the preferences for all the 19 NLUs, and the exact preferences in the same order will be granted for the CLAT Counselling process also.
- After filling in the above details, candidates will have to upload scanned images of required documents in the designated format and size as described in the information brochure.
Step 3: Uploading of Documents:
- Candidates will have to upload scanned images of required documents such as the Candidate’s recent passport size photograph, Candidate’s signature, Disability Certificate in the designated format and size as described in the information brochure.
- Signature: Candidates will have to upload their scanned copy of the handwritten signature.
- Photograph: Candidates will have to upload their scanned copy of front faced recent passport size photograph.
- In case of any disability, candidates have to upload supporting documents in the PDF form assigned by the competent authority.
Step 4: Fee Payment of CLAT 2023:
- The mode of payment for the CLAT 2023 application form is online as well as offline.
- In Online Mode:
- The application fee of CLAT 2023 will be paid in online mode using the Debit card/ Credit card/pay wallet/ RuPay/net banking/ etc.
- The charges of the transaction will depend upon the selected option of payment.
- In Offline Mode (Generating Bank Challan):
- To pay the application fee using challan, candidates first have to generate the online bank challan.
- After generating the bank challan, candidates have to go to their nearest bank’s branch along with the cash and have to submit the challan there.
- In Online Mode:
- Note that the application fee will neither be refundable nor transferable.
Step 5: Downloading the Application Form
- Once you will complete the online payment then you have to download the fee receipt and take a printout of it for future references.
- It should be noted that candidates will not need to submit the CLAT application form to the CLAT office.
Specification for Signature and Photograph:
- The photograph of the candidates should be colored but the background should be white or light-colored.
- The file size of the photograph should lie between 20-50 KB.
- The file should in JPEG format and the resolution should be 200 x 230 Pixels.
- In the candidate’s photograph, the length of the candidate’s face (from the top of the forehead to the chin) must cover the photograph’s length up to 50%.
- The photograph of the candidates should be accepted without any glasses, spectacles, hats, or any other accessories.
- The size of the signature should be 7 cm × 2 cm (Width x Height).
- The signature should be written with a black/ dark blue ball ink pen.
- The signature should be scanned digitally using a professional scanner.
- The Dimensions of the photograph should be 140x 60 Pixels.
- The file size of the candidates should be lie between 10-20 KB.
- At the time of submitting the Online CLAT Application Form, the candidate’s signature and photograph need not be attested.
- Candidates should preview the online application form before submitting it so that they can make changes/ edit/ modify the incorrect details.
- If all the details filled in by the candidates are correct and require no changes then before the final submission they can go for online fee payment of the application form.
|BHU UET||AP LAWCET||TS LAWCET|
CLAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria
If you are going to fill the online application form of CLAT 2023 then first you have to check the details of all the required eligibility such as qualification details, age limit, reservation criteria, etc. For SAPs (specially-abled persons) in the CLAT exam, there are certain provisions for them. Here we have provided all the required eligibility criteria related to the CLAT exam for Undergraduate, and Postgraduate programs as mentioned below:
UG Law Programme:
- Qualification: Candidates who have completed class XIIth from a recognized board with a minimum of 45% marks for General/ OBC candidates (40% marks for SC/ ST) will be eligible to apply.
- Appearing: The candidates, who are appearing in Class XII will also be eligible to apply. Provided they have to produce confirmation of passing the qualifying examination at the time of admission.
PG Law Programme:
- Qualification: Candidates who have completed Law course from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% marks for General candidates (45% marks for reserved category candidates) will be eligible
- Appearing: The candidates, who are appearing in the last year of the Law course will also be eligible to apply. Provided they have to produce confirmation of passing the qualifying examination at the time of admission.
CLAT 2023 Exam Pattern
The NLU’s Consortium has been released the exam pattern of CLAT 2023 on its official website; i.e. www.consortiumofnlus.ac.in. The CLAT 2023 exam pattern will play an important role for all the candidates who are preparing for the CLAT 2023 (Common Law Admission Test). The NLU’s Consortium has added understanding based questions for both the programs CLAT UG and CLAT PG. The total number of questions in the CLAT UG exam has been reduced to 150 from 200. While in the CLAT PG exam has 2 sections of Objective and Subjective questions. However, in the recent previous year in the CLAT PG exam, the subjective sections were not there.
|Medium of Question Paper||English|
|Total Duration||120 Minutes|
|Total No. of Questions||CLAT UG – 150 Questions|
CLAT PG – 102 Questions
|Type of Questions||UG: Objective Type (MCQs)|
PG: Objective Type (MCQs) & Subjective (Updated)
|Total Marks||CLAT UG – 150 marks|
CLAT PG – 150 marks
|Marking Scheme||+1 will be given for every correct answer|
-0.25 will be deducted for every incorrect answer
No marks will be deducted for unattempted questions.
Section-Wise Division of CLAT Question Paper 2023
The NLU’s Consortium has been released the revised pattern of section-wise division of questions & weightage for the CLAT 2023 exam and it has been updated below.
CLAT UG 2023 Subject-Wise Weightage
|Quantitative Techniques||This section consists of 13-17 questions and covers around 10% of the paper.|
|English Language||This section consists of 28-32 questions and covers around 20% of the paper.|
|Logical Reasoning||This section consists of28-32 questions and covers around 20% of the paper.|
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge||This section consists of 35-39 questions and covers around 25% of the paper.|
|Legal Reasoning||This section consists of 35-39 questions and covers around 25% of the paper.|
CLAT PG 2023 Subject-Wise Weightage
|Constitutional Law||This subject consists of 60 questions in total and also it covers 50% of the paper.|
|Other subjects of law such as Torts, Contract, International Law, Criminal Law, IPR and Jurisprudence||This subject consists of 60 questions in total and also it covers 50% of the paper.|
CLAT 2023 Marking Scheme
The marking scheme based on the latest exam pattern of the CLAT 2023 exam has been given below.
|Response||Marks (per Question)|
|For Correct response (MCQs)||+ 1 Marks|
|Answer for descriptive type questions||+25 Marks|
|For incorrect response (MCQs)||– 0.25 Mark|
|Unanswered/ Unattempted Questions||0 Mark|
CLAT Syllabus 2023
The syllabus and level of the CLAT UG/CLAT PG programs are different and it has been released by the exam conducting authority, and it will be available on the official website.
The CLAT 2023 UG syllabus consists of some common sections of General Awareness, General Knowledge, Class Xth level maths, English grammar. While CLAT 2023 PG syllabus is consists of Graduation level common legal subjects.
It should be pointed out that the consortium of CLAT exam had stated some major changes in the exam of CLAT pattern, so depending on the latest pattern some questions will be comprehensive. The main purpose of the authority was to add such questions is to examine the comprehensive and analytical skills of the candidates.
- English including comprehension: It comprises topics such as Fill in the blanks, Comprehensive Passage, Antonym, Synonym, Cloze test, etc.
- General Knowledge & Current: It comprises topics such as Static GK, Current Affairs, National current affairs & International current affairs, and etc.
- Mathematics: In the mathematics part, the questions will be of elementary level.
- Legal Aptitude: It comprises topics such as Research aptitude, Study of law, and problem-solving ability.
- Logical Reasoning: It comprises topics such as logical reasoning questions like logical sequences, syllogism, analogies, etc.
CLAT 2023 Preparation Tips
The CLAT exam is considered highly competitive and one of the toughest exams for law in India. It is expected that more than 75000 candidates would write the CLAT exams for around 2622 Undergraduate law seats & 783 LLM seats. So, to make your preparation easier, here we have discussed some effective tips to help all the candidates in a proper way.
- First of all, you should prepare a daily time table to structure your day depending on your own situations.
- Devote 7-8 hours daily to prepare for this exam, however, the quality of time is most important rather than no. of hours. Also to feel fresh take part in extracurricular activities.
- To improve concentration and activeness take 5 minutes of break after every 25 minutes of study. It is the scientific way to be active and concentrated.
- During your study time make sure to switch off your phone as it can be a cause of distraction.
- The day-to-day time-table is your most important tool that needs to be implemented excellently. If you follow a well structured time table then nothing can beat your preparation.
- Always make short notes to clear the concept in your own languages and revise it on daily basis to retain all the previous study stuff.
- Before you start your preparation, first examine the syllabus and accordingly prepare a plan with a correct strategy and break down all the sections into a bunch of topics. Never try to follow others timetable as might be not suitable for you.
- Try to cover all the topics and sections before 1-2 months of examination. And give the rest of the time to revisions and solving mocks only. Practice more and more questions as more as you can. Give mocks and always try to analyze the mocks, analyzing mocks will help you to know your preparation level.
- While making time table do not forget to include your favorite activities as it keeps you fresh and you will not get frustrated with your study.
- If you are at your home and preparing from there and always try to be far away from the distractions because it is a high possibility to get distracted easily at home due to many reasons such as family get-together, family functions, television, etc.
Recommended Books for CLAT 2023 Preparation
For the preparation of CLAT 2023, the list of recommended books for each section has been given below:
|English (including comprehension)||Word Power Made Easy New Revised & Expanded Edition (English) by Norman Lewis|
High School English Grammar & Composition (English) by P C Wren, H Martin
The Pearson Guide to the CLAT (English)Objective General English (English) by RS Aggarwal
|Logical Reasoning||Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal|
A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
Analytical Reasoning (English) by M K Pandey
501 Challenging Logical reasoning Practice Book
|Quantitative Techniques||Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Arihant|
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive
Quantitative Aptitude ebook (All Parts Solved) by R S Agarwal
Examinations (English) by Pearson
Quantitative Aptitude and Logical Reasoning (English) by RS Aggarwal
S Chand’s 30 days wonder for Maths
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||Pratiyogita Darpan|
Competition Review Yearbook
Manorama Yearbook (English)General Knowledge (English)
Lucent’s General Knowledge (English)
Pearson’s Concise GK Manual
|Legal Aptitude||Legal Aptitude and Legal Reasoning by A P Bhardwaj|
Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning: For CLAT and LLB Entrance Examinations (English) by Pearson
Objective Legal Aptitude by RS Aggarwal
LST’s Legal Reasoning Module
Candidates may also prefer some standard exam-oriented books for CLAT 2023 from the list given below:
|CLAT Solved and Practice Papers (English) by AP Bhardwaj||LST CLAT Books and Material (Set of 20 Books)|
|Universal’s CLAT Solved Papers||Chapter-wise Objective Question Bank (With Solution) Law (English) Author by Arihant Expert|
|CLAT & AILET Chapter – Wise Solved Papers 2008-2015: 4 Model Papers & 1 Online Mock Test||Study Package for CLAT & LLB Entrance Examinations (English) by AP Bhardwaj|
CLAT 2023 Admit Card
The admit card/ hall ticket of CLAT 2023 will be released online on its official website before 2-3 weeks of examinations. Candidates will able to download the admit card by using their login credentials. It is a very necessary document to be carried out at the examination center as it contains lots of informations such as Candidate’s Name, Candidate’s roll no., Exam center, Exam time, Exam date, important instructions, that to be followed at the exam time.
How to download the CLAT admit card?
- Open the official CLAT’s website i.e. consortiumofnlus.ac.in
- Click on the link of admit card and then provide your Registration Number, and password and then login.
- After login, the CLAT 2023 admit card will appear on the screen.
- Now candidates will have to download it will have to take the printout of it for future references.
Details mentioned in CLAT hall ticket
- Candidate Name
- Candidate’s Roll number
- Parent’s Name
- Candidate’s application number
- CLAT 2023 Exam center
- CLAT 2023 Exam and reporting timing
- Candidate’s Category
- CLAT 2023 Exam address
- Exam-day instructions.
CLAT Exam Centres 2023
Along with the release of Admit card of CLAT 2023, the allocated exam centers will be notified to the candidates on their Admit Card. The preference of the examination center will be chosen by the candidates at the time of filling the application form, candidates will have to choose 3 desired examination center preferences as per their concern in the decreasing order. However, the authority will allow the exam center for the candidate depending on the availability. Once after the allotment of the exam center, no request will be entertained to change the exam center under any circumstances.
|Barasat||Greater Noida||New Delhi|
CLAT 2023 Paper Analysis
- The difficulty level of the previous year’s CLAT exam paper was moderate to difficult.
- Last year’s question paper was a little bit lengthy and the question paper was based on passages so you need to manage the time because it is very important to attempt such questions.
- The questions from the Legal Reasoning section were lengthy and moderate.
- Most of the questions were asked from the section of legal reasoning section & current affairs.
- The no. of questions were lowest from the Quantitative Techniques.
- Here we have classified the difficulty level of each section –
|Section||Difficulty Level||Number of Passages|
CLAT 2023 Answer Key
The answer key of the CLAT 2023 will be published by NLUO Cuttack and will publish in Dec 2022 on its official website via online mode.
By matching your answer with the official answer key of CLAT, you can determine your tentative score for the CLAT exam. The answer key will be released in pdf format before the declaration of the CLAT result. The answer key will consist of answers to all the questions that were asked in the CLAT exam.
Steps to Download CLAT Answer Key 2023
Here are the basic steps to download the CLAT answer key, candidates can follow the below steps:
- Open the official CLAT’s 2023 website i.e. consortiumofnlus.ac.in
- Click on the link of the Provisional Answer Key.
- After clicking on the link, a new page will be open, and then you have to provide your registered Registration Number, Password/ DoB and, security code
- After login, the CLAT 2023 provisional answer key will appear on the screen.
- Now you have to Cross-check answers with the answer key of CLAT 2023 and also you can raise objections if required and necessary.
CLAT Result 2023
Based on the final answer key, CLAT 2023 result would be prepared. The consortium may release the result of the Common Law Admission Test around the fourth week of May. The CLAT result will be available for download at the official website of the NLU Consortium.
How to Check CLAT Result 2023
Candidates can follow the steps mentioned below to check or access the results of CLAT 2023
- Open the official CLAT’s 2023 website i.e. consortiumofnlus.ac.in
- Click on the link of the CLAT 2023 Result available on the website’s homepage.
- After clicking on the link, a new page will be open there, and then you have to fill in your Roll Number, Password/ DoB and, security code
- After login, the CLAT 2023 Result will appear on the screen.
- Now candidates will have to download the CLAT 2023 result and need to take a printout of the same for future references.
Expected CLAT Cut Off
|College||Expected Cut Off (2023)|
|NLSIU, Bengaluru||119.5 – 120.5|
|NLU, Jodhpur||109 – 111|
|HNLU, Raipur||103 – 104|
|CNLU, Patna||95 – 96|
|NLIU, Bhopal||107 – 108|
|NALSAR, Hyderabad||114 – 115|
|RAMNLU, Lucknow||100 – 102|
|NUJS, Kolkata||112 – 113|
|NUSRL, Ranchi||94 – 95|
|GNLU, Gandhinagar||106 – 107|
|NLUO, Cuttack||97 – 98|
|RGNUL, Patiala||99 – 100|
|DSNLU, Vizag||92 – 93|
|NUALS, Kochi||99 – 100|
|TNNLS, Tiruchirapalli||92 – 93|
|HPNLU, Shimla||89 – 90|
|NLUJA, Guwahati||93 – 94|
|MNLU, Aurangabad||91 – 92|
|MNLU, Mumbai||105 – 106|
|MNLU, Nagpur||91 – 92|
|MPDNLU, Jabalpur||90 – 91|
|DBRANLU, Haryana||87 – 88|
CLAT Merit list 2023
The consortium of the CLAT 2023 exam will also publish the CLAT 2023 merit list along with the release of the CLAT 2023 result for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs. The merit list of the CLAT exam will consist of the Candidate’s Roll no. along with their CLAT overall marks. The candidates who will be named under the CLAT 2023 merit list will be called for the counseling session and seat allotment procedure. The candidates will call for counseling depending on their rank of merit list. All those candidates who will secure the maximum marks in the CLAT exam will be called first for counseling in comparison to lower-ranked students.
How to Download CLAT Merit List 2023
- Open the official CLAT’s 2023 website i.e. consortiumofnlus.ac.in
- Now you have to click on the link of UG/ PG Consolidated All India Merit List, appearing on the homepage.
- Once you click on the link then the new window of desired merit list will open carrying your merit list in pdf form.
- Now candidates will have to download the merit list and then they have to check their rank by entering their roll number.
CLAT Merit Rank – Tiebreaker
If in case, 2 or more students obtain equal marks in the CLAT 2023 exam, then the rank of those students will be determined by the following sequences:
- The students who have obtained higher marks in “CLAT Legal Aptitude” then he/she will be placed higher on the merit list.
- If the tie is still there then the student elder in age will be placed higher under the merit list.
- If the tie is not resolved yet, then the final consideration will depend on the computerized draw of lots.
CLAT Counselling 2023
After the release of the result and merit list of CLAT 2023, the counseling procedure will take place for CLAT 2023. The counseling session will be held in online mode so candidates will have to apply online. While registering for the counseling, you will have to go through several procedures such as Online Registration for counseling, Making/ Locking the selection of NLU, Allocation of seats in NLUs, Online fee payment for CLAT2023 counseling, Upgrading the seats, and then reporting to the designated NLUs at reporting time.
Documents Required for CLAT 2023 Counselling
- Class 10th Marksheet
- Class 12th Marksheet
- Scorecard of CLAT 2023
- Application Form of CLAT 2023
- Admit Card of CLAT 2023
- Domicile Certificate (If required)
- Specially-abled certificate (If required)
- Caste certificate (If required)
- Sponsored NRI Certificate (If required)
- NRI Certificate (If required)
CLAT 2023 Career Prospects
|NGO’s||Up to INR 8 lakh/ annum|
|Litigation Firms||Up to INR 12 lakh/ annum|
|MNC’s||Up to INR 17 lakh/ annum|
|Law Firms||Up to INR 20 lakh/ annum|
CLAT 2023 Participating Universities
In the CLAT 2023, 22 NLUs (National Law Universities) will be participating from all over the country. Here we have given the comprehensive list of all the NLUs that are going to participate in CLAT 2023.
|The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)||HP National Law University, Shimla (HPNLU)|
|National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)||Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad (MNLU)|
|Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur (DNLU)||National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)|
|NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)||Dr. BR Ambedkar National Law University, Haryana (DBRAU)|
|Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)||Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)|
|Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)||Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)|
|National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)||The Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)||Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur (MNLU)|
|National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)||National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJA)|
|National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)||National Law University, Orissa (NLUO)|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL)||Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)|
CLAT 2023 FAQ’s
If you are interested to pursue Law then yes, definitely CLAT may be the right option for you. If the level of your preparation is well enough to crack the CLAT then you can surely take admission in one of the top NLUs.
Yes, definitely you can. If you want to pay the application fee in online mode then you can choose the option of Net Banking.
Generally, an average preparation of 8-16 months is needed based on the learning capabilities of the candidates. If the candidate is starting their preparation with basics then he/she may take a longer period of time to prepare. But he/ she prepare rigorously then this is enough time to prepare for CLAT.
Candidates of any age group can apply for the CLAT exam because there is no age limit decided by the authority.
The minimum cut off marks do vary for all the different National Law Universities for CLAT 2023. However, the average cutoff marks for the previous year was 105-110 out of 200 marks.
The CLAT exam is held only once a year not twice a year.
No, after the fee submission, it will not be refundable under any circumstances.
If you are appearing in the last year of the qualifying examination then definitely you can apply for PG law course admission.
No, the CLAT exam will be held in offline mode i.e. pen-paper based. So you have to give via offline mode only.