PG in Systems: A postgraduate degree in systems is a two-year programme with four semesters. The programme provides advanced theoretical and practical knowledge and training in a variety of business, engineering, computer, and science topics. The course covers mobile and cloud computing, big data and database systems, and information security foundations and principles.
The fundamental eligibility criteria for this course study are that candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised university with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks. Entry to this course of study is given based on the results of a state-level, national-level, or university-level entrance exam, followed by a personal interview and counselling session.
Depending on the type of institute, the average course cost paid by the top-most PG Systems institutes normally ranges between INR 2,00,000 and 10,00,000 per annum. Postgraduates who successfully complete this course study can pursue a variety of job prospects in important recruiting industries such as IT consulting firms, sales and marketing departments, banking sectors, heavy industry, and so on.
Project Managers, IT Managers, System Analysts, Business Analysts, Technical Leaders, Software Consultants, Database Designers, Database Administrators, Network Administrators, and other positions may be available to such graduates. These professionals can easily make a salary ranging from INR 8,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 per year. The pay scale will be adjusted based on the candidate’s experience in the relevant field.
PG in Systems: Course Overview
The following are the primary highlights of the Post Graduate Programme in Systems:
|Level of Course||Post Graduate|
|Course Duration||2 Years|
|Type of Exam||Semester System|
|Course Eligibility||Complete graduation from a recognized university with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Process of Admission||Entrance Exam followed by Counselling Round|
|Course Fee||INR 1,50,000 per annum|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1,80,000 to 2,00,000 per annum|
|Job Positions||Project Manager, IT Manager, System Analyst, Business Analyst, Technical Leaders, Software Consultant, Database Designer, Database Administrator, Network Administrator etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||IT consulting firm, Sales and Marketing Department, Banking Sectors, Heavy Industry etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||HP, Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, ICICI Bank, HCL Technologies, TCS, Cognizant etc.|
What is PG in Systems
- The master’s degree in systems provides a strong basis in software development and principles. The advanced information system studies programme focuses on enhancing data handling and electronic communication efficiency.
- The focus of the course has been on the ideas of material storage and archiving for record management.
- Candidates with critical thinking skills, professional interrelationships and problem-solving abilities, as well as computer experience, are ideal candidates for this course.
- The curriculum is designed to prepare candidates for careers in the information technology industry by providing them with a broad variety of computer science knowledge and abilities. The course is designed to help students improve their software and hardware capabilities.
- Aside from that, the course covers mobile and cloud computing, big data and database systems, as well as the foundations and concepts of information security.
- E-commerce, Financial Systems, Data Analytics & Business Intelligence, IS Audit, HR Systems, and more specialisations are available during this course study.
PG in Systems Entrance Exams
Applicants for the PG programme in Systems are chosen based on the results of an admission exam held at the state or university level. This course admittance requires passing many entrance tests, which are given below:
The Indian Institute of Management (IIM) conducts the Common Admission Test (CAT) on a rotating basis. The entrance exam is held to gain admission to PG level courses given by India’s prestigious colleges and institutions.
MAT: The All India Management Association administers a national-level entrance exam (AIMA). The exam is for admission to MBA and PGDM programmes.
XAT: The Xavier Aptitude Test is administered by XLRI, Jamshedpur, one of India’s top MBA schools. This exam is for entrance to MBA, PGDM, and Executive Diploma programmes.
SNAP: Symbiosis International University conducts a national-level entrance exam once a year for admission to various MBA and PG degrees.
Admission Process for PG in Systems
The marks acquired in the State-level, National-level, or University-level test are used to determine entrance to the PG in Systems programme, which is followed by a personal interview round. Both online and offline versions of the application forms are available. CAT, MAT, XAT, SNAP, CMAT, and other top-tier entrance exams are taken into consideration for this course admission.
The below is a step-by-step guide to the admissions process:
- Go to the colleges’ official websites and register by entering basic personal information such as an email address, phone number, and password.
- Log in and complete the registration form with the required information. Make double-checks that all of the information given is correct.
- Scan and upload all required documents to the online application portal in the format given.
- Use a credit card, debit card, or net banking option to pay the needed application fee. Fill out the form and print a copy for future reference.
- After verifying the student’s eligibility, the college issues admit cards. Attend the test on the scheduled date.
- To clear the cut-off mark, do well on the entrance exam.
- The institution will announce the list of successful applicants in a few weeks, and they will be invited to an interview phase, when their general ability will be examined.
- The qualified applicants must subsequently attend the counselling phase, where they will be able to select their desired college.
- After document verification and payment of the course cost, the final admission will be made.
Eligibility Criteria for PG in Systems
Applicants must meet the following minimal qualifying criteria to enrol in the PG in Systems programme:
- Applicants must have a minimum 50 percent aggregate score at the graduation level (under the 10+2+3 plan) from a recognised university. Applicants who meet these criteria are exempted from taking the admission exam.
- The interview round is open to applicants who scored at least 50% on the relevant entrance exam (MAT/ CAT/ CMAT/ XAT/ ATMA or any other state level test). There is no predetermined cutoff score.
- Applicants who have not taken the above-mentioned entrance exams and have a graduation score of less than 50% are needed to take aptitude tests administered by various universities on a regular basis.
- Applicants who have finished a bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised university, international/ SAARC graduates from a recognized/ accredited university/ institution, and even individuals who are in their final year of a bachelor’s degree programme and are about to take their final year exam can apply for this course.
- They must complete their studies during the relevant academic year and within the time frame set by SCDL.
How to Prepare Yourself for PG in Systems Entrance Exams?
Applicants should bear the following crucial points in mind as they prepare for the PG Systems entrance exams:
- It is necessary to have a thorough understanding of the exam format. To ensure the same, solve prior years’ exam papers.
- You must first go over the full entrance exam syllabus and verify that no topic or segment is left unchecked.
- Make an effort to review the difficult chapters on a regular basis. It will assist you in fully comprehending and remembering the entire issue.
- MCQ questions on verbal ability, reading comprehension, data interpretation, logical reasoning, quantitative aptitude, and other topics make up the majority of the PG Systems entrance tests. Concentrate on those sections.
- It is necessary to practise the sample papers on a regular basis. It will boost your self-assurance and allow you to work on your weaknesses.
- To make your training more effective, follow the study resources or enrol in online coaching programmes.
- Time management is critical for success in any admission exam. Split the time allotted for each topic and finish them in the allotted period.
PG in Systems Admission Process for Good College
Try to follow the recommendations below to get into a reputable PG Systems college in India:
- Sort your preferred universities by their geographic location, ease of access, course pricing, and so on.
- Examine the most latest announcements on the each college’s website to have a better sense of the course content, faculty members, entrance exam information, and admission method, among other things.
- You must have a thorough understanding of the college placement process. You can speak with recent graduates or read evaluations on the college’s official website.
- If you fail to submit the application form by the deadline, your registration will be denied due to late submission.
- Always keep in mind that all essential papers must be uploaded in the correct file size and format as specified in the online application site.
- Make preparations for the entrance exam at least a year before the exam date. Applicants should be well for the exam and pass the cut-off in order to be admitted.
- Applicants must brush up on their course study basics in order to pass the personal interview round.
Why Study PG in Systems?
- With the rapidly accelerating IT industry comes a significant demand for skilled individuals who can quickly grasp both business management and computer systems.
- A master’s degree in systems is an academic programme that includes theoretical and practical sessions on database management, cloud computing, network security, and a variety of other information technology topics.
- This advanced degree in Information Systems gives up a wide range of career and work chances in important recruiting domains such as IT consulting firms, sales and marketing departments, banking sectors, and heavy industry, among others.
- Project Managers, IT Managers, System Analysts, Business Analysts, Technical Leaders, Software Consultants, Database Designers, Database Administrators, Network Administrators, and other postgraduates will find work as Project Managers, IT Managers, System Analysts, Business Analysts, Technical Leaders, Software Consultants, Database Designers, Database Administrators, Network Administrators, and other
- HP, Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, ICICI Bank, HCL Technologies, TCS, Cognizant, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook are just a few of the well-known companies that hire such students.
- On the basis of their talents and competence in the linked industry, such experts can easily earn an average yearly compensation package ranging from INR 8,00,000 to 10,00,000.
Top PG in Systems Colleges in India
Some of the best universities in India that provide a Post Graduate Program in Systems are listed below:
|India Today Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Location||Average Salary|
|7||JK Business School||Gurgaon||INR 8,30,000||INR 5,20,000|
|50||CT Institute of Engineering, Management and Technology||Jalandhar||INR 1,80,000||INR 1,90,000|
|72||Jaypee Business School||Noida||INR 5,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|–||Galaxy Institute of Management||Chennai||INR 6,00,000||INR 7,00,000|
|58||ITM Business School||Navi Mumbai||INR 11,00,000||INR 5,00,000|
College Comparison for PGP in Systems Course
Discussed below the detailed comparison study between the top three PG Systems colleges in India:
|College Name||JK Business School||ITM Business School||Galaxy Institute of Management|
|Overview||This private business school offers management courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.||It is a well-known Indian business school that specialises in postgraduate management diploma programmes.||It is a top-ranked business school that provides MBA, PGDM, and PGCM programmes.|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognised university in any discipline with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks||Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 50%||A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% marks is required.|
|Admission Process||CAT/MAT/CMAT Score||CAT/MAT/CMAT/ ATMA/MAH-CET Exam Score||CAT/XAT/ MAT/ ATMA/CMAT|
|Course fee||INR 8,30,000||INR 11,00,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,20,000||INR 5,00,000||INR 7,00,000|
PGP in Systems Course Comparison
M.tech Computer Network Engineering vs PG in Systems
Below is a full comparison analysis based on certain key parameters between the PG in Systems and M.Tech Computer Network Engineering courses:
|Parameters||M.Tech Computer Network Engineering||PG in Systems|
|Full Form||Master of Technology in Computer Network Engineering||Post Graduate Programme in Systems|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Science stream from a recognized university with minimum 60% aggregate marks||Complete graduation from a recognized university with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit Based/ Entrance exam followed by interview round||Entrance Exam followed by Counselling Round|
|Course Fee||INR 1,40,000-9,00,000||INR 1,50,000 per annum|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000-9,00,000||INR 1,80,000 to 2,00,000 per annum|
|Top Colleges||Manipal Institute of Technology, RV College of Engineering, BMS College of Engineering, Chandigarh University, Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology||ITM Business School, JK Business School, Jaypee Business School, Galaxy Institute of Management, CT Institute of Engineering, Management and Technology|
|Job Positions||Network Administrator, Technical Writer, Network Engineer, Computer Sales Representatives, Network Security Administrator, Network Applications Programmer etc.||Project Manager, IT Manager, System Analyst, Business Analyst, Technical Leaders, Software Consultant, Database Designer, Database Administrator, Network Administrator etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges and Universities, IT Company, R & D Sectors, Sales and Marketing Departments etc.||IT consulting firm, Sales and Marketing Department, Banking Sectors, Heavy Industry etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Novell, TCS, Infosys, HP, Nortel, D Link, CISCO, IBM, KPMG, Citrix etc.||HP, Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, ICICI Bank, HCL Technologies, TCS, Cognizant etc.|
Course Syllabus for PG in Systems
The following is a list of semester-by-semester course breakdown:
|Advanced Operating Systems||Human-centred Security|
|Artificial Intelligence||Information Retrieval|
|Computer Architecture||Internet Technology|
|Digital Communications||Optical Communications|
|Real-time Embedded Programming||Safety Critical Systems|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Software Quality Management||Current Trends in IT|
|Data Warehousing and Data Mining||Business Process Modeling|
|Information Security Management||Project|
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Principles and Practices of Management||Business Requirement Analysis|
|Business Communication||Project Management (IT)|
|Information Technology Concepts||Business Applications and ERP|
|Database Management Systems||Software Engineering with UML|
|Algorithms and Programming Concepts||–|
Important Books for PG in Systems
Some of the most significant reference books that help students grasp the PG Systems syllabus are listed below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|An Introduction to Database Systems||Christopher J. Date|
|Implementing an Information Security Management System: Security Management Based on ISO 27001 Guidelines||Abhishek Chopra, Mukund Chaudhary|
|Data Mining and Data Warehousing: Principles and Practical Techniques||Parteek Bhatia|
|Cloud Computing: Concepts, Technology & Architecture||Ricardo Puttini, Thomas Erl, and Zaigham Mahmood|
|Advanced Concepts in Operating Systems: Distributed, Database, and Multiprocessor Operating Systems||Mukesh Singhal, Niranjan G. Shivaratri|
Career and Job Prospects for PG in Systems
Postgraduates with a successful completion of a PG programme in Systems may have a wide range of career and work prospects. Project Managers, IT Managers, System Analysts, Business Analysts, Technical Leaders, Software Consultants, Database Designers, Database Administrators, Network Administrators, and other positions will be available to them.
They will find prospective work prospects in significant recruiting areas such as the IT industry, business firms, research and development departments, sales and marketing, banking sectors, heavy industry, military, and more.
Similarly, such graduates can work as a lecturer or teacher at any reputable institution or university.
The following are some of the most typical and popular job profiles available to such graduates, along with job descriptions and average yearly income packages:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Project Manager||Their primary role is to ensure that each project’s scope and direction are completed on time. They must also oversee other departments for support while collaborating closely with upper management.||INR 18,18,560|
|IT Manager||They are in charge of checking the network on a regular basis and ensuring data security. They must also create and apply the most up-to-date IT rules, as well as update software and network infrastructure.||INR 10,47,151|
|System Analyst||They are essentially discussing with IT managers to establish the role of an IT system inside an organisation and to devise effective approaches to ensure that all existing computer systems are capable of meeting the requirements. Aside from that, they choose and configure hardware and software systems to create and construct new IT systems.||INR 6,00,000|
|Business Analyst||Their goal is to create technical solutions to a variety of commercial problems. They are constantly looking for methods to improve corporate procedures and systems.||INR 8,00,000|
|Technical Leaders||Their primary role is to oversee various technical elements of software development.||INR 12,00,000|
|Software Consultant||They must create new software systems for specific applications. Aside from that, they offer technical help and troubleshooting to their customers.||INR 7,00,000|
|Database Designer||They’re comparable to software developers in that they specialise in database management, development, and analysis.||INR 4,50,000|
|Database Administrator||Their primary role is to inspect the database’s performance, integrity, and security. They must also create and create various databases, as well as solve difficulties on behalf of users.||INR 4,50,000|
|Network Administrator||They are responsible for maintaining computer networks and troubleshooting any network-related difficulties.||INR 3,00,000|
Future Prospects for PG in Systems
Applicants can apply for higher studies in the same sector of education after obtaining a PG in Systems, in addition to looking for jobs.
- Ph.D.: Candidates interested in furthering their education in the same subject of study might pursue a PhD in Information Systems. It is a three-year doctorate-level programme that provides advanced comprehensive study on several aspects of the IT sector.
- By passing the UGC-NET exam and becoming a permanent lecturer or assistant professor, they were able to get teaching jobs at a variety of reputable colleges and universities.