Post Graduate Diploma in Management [PGDM] is a two-year diploma degree that specializes in providing relevant management expertise and is provided by AICTE-accredited B-Schools. If the institution is recognized by AIU, the PGDM’s full form is Postgraduate Diploma in Management, which is comparable to an MBA. The PGDM program lasts two years, and students must have finished a bachelor’s degree, ideally in management, to be qualified. This course, however, is open to professionals from any field. Entrance tests such as the MAT, CAT, XAT, and others are used to determine PGDM admission.
Since the PGDM curriculum is marketplace and industry-focused, many existing students and professionals select this management course. It keeps up with market developments and adjusts its curriculum accordingly. It meets the needs of organizations, institutions, and businesses, and graduates will find lots of opportunities to work as executives, managers, top management, and specialized executives all over the world.
Table of Contents
PGDM Course Overview
|PGDM Course Duration||2 years|
|PGDM Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree|
|Admission Process||Direct admission or based on the entrance examination|
|Semester Wise/ Year Wise||Semester Wise|
|Entrance Examination||CAT, MAT, GMAT, CMAT, XAT, NMAT, ATMA|
|Average Fee||Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 20,00,000|
|Career Opportunities||Marketing ManagerAdvertising ManagerSupply Chain ManagerSales ManagerAccount Manager|
|Average Annual Salary||Rs. 8,00,000 LPA|
Eligibility Criteria for PGDM
The requirements for admission to a Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) programme differ by college. A minimal of 45 percent in a bachelor’s degree course from a recognized institute is required.
- In any subject, candidates should obtain a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution. Students with a bachelor’s degree in business administration (BBA) have an edge because they have fundamental knowledge of the field.
- A degree is required, with a minimum grade point average of 45 percent. Although this percentage fluctuates from school to school.
- Applicants must complete an entrance exam and an individual interview, as well as the institution’s prerequisites.
What is Course PGDM?
Individuals who desire to start a career in management will find the PGDM to be a very rigorous degree. With the ever-changing world, the needs of organisations, companies, and businesses are evolving as well. Managers, leaders, functional heads, and specialized professionals are in high demand all around the world.
- The program is open to candidates from any discipline: The PGDM Curriculum is meant to help individuals of many fields define their careers. For their overall growth, students with a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with the necessary percentage can enrol in the PGDM programme.
- Integrated Curriculum: The PGDM is an interdisciplinary curriculum that combines disciplines such as management, accounting, and economics to address industry needs. Rather than focusing on a single subject, the PGDM programme provides students with a broad range of expertise.
- Developing Upcoming Executives: The country’s requirement for excellent managers is growing by the day. Organizations frequently spend a significant amount of money on training and development in order to fulfil industry requirements. The PGDM programme assists students in aligning their skills with the current needs of industries and markets.
- Influence on Existing Income or Job Role: The PGDM training assists applicants in climbing the pyramidal ladder. It provides salary increases, promotions, and CV improvements by keeping up with current market demands.
Who really should enrol in a PGDM programme?
- A PGDM course is available to those who desire to start a career in administration.
- Persons who can manage the entire teams will earn a high income after completing this course. Individuals with strong leadership talents should enrol in the PGDM programme.
- Because PGDM welcomes students from various disciplines, it gives them a tremendous chance to transform their careers into something that they are interested in.
- Several students have enrolled in a PGDM programme in order to rise to a managing or administrative job or to change careers. You should just not do both at the same time since you can end up spreading yourself too thin, especially if you don’t have any professional experience in new role to back it up.
- A PGDM online or PGDM distance education can be completed by almost any individual or working professional.
- This aids students or professionals who are pressed for time or money.
- Professionals with extensive work experience can advance their careers because PGDM colleges do not differentiate based on age.
When is it appropriate to pursue a PGDM?
The PGDM programme is designed to improve capabilities and satisfy needs of industry through a realistic application. The best moment to enrol in a PGDM programme is determined by the individual. Following graduation, a PGDM programme will not be as beneficial as having a few years of experience under your belt.
To get that huge payment that everybody who dreams of, as well as for a managerial position job, major organisations need 3-4 years of industry experience and appropriate skill addition to the resume. There is a lot of demand for PGDM courses because they are so lucrative. As a result, the Diploma degree comes at a hefty price. Learners must be financially prepared. Many students cannot afford the exorbitant expense of a PGDM programme and drop out in the middle.
Application Process for the Course of PGDM
The registration process for PGDM admissions differs from one institution to the next. Many colleges admit candidates based on their bachelor’s degree academic performance; individuals with a Bachelor of Business Administration get an edge because they have a fundamental knowledge in the field. Several institutions grant admittance to individual students on their achievement in a university or government-sponsored qualifying examination.
Direct admissions: Candidates can access for PGDM admission straight at the institution by travelling there, filling out the admission form, sending the needed documents, and submitting the application via an offline manner. Candidates can also apply online by visiting the university’s official website, completing the PGDM candidates can apply, and uploading the required documents in the format.
Entrance Examination: In many of these cases, entrance is based on merit; nevertheless, certain colleges and universities may have their own entrance exams for admission to the Post Graduate Diploma in Management programme.
CAT: The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a standardised exam conducted for India’s 20 IIMs and about 1,200 universities and colleges.
MAT: The Management Aptitude Test, or MAT, is a national-level entry requirement for MBA/PGDM admissions that is administered by the All India Management Association (AIMA).
CMAT: The National Testing Agency (NTA) administers the Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) for admissions to MBA/PGDM programmes at more than 1,000 universities across India.
XAT: XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test) is a national management examination conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur for MBA/PGDM admission.
Best Colleges for PGDM Course
To admit applications to schools or colleges in a particular state region, a number of state or national qualifying examination are held. The following is the list of PGDM colleges that use entrance exam scores as a criterion for admission.
|XLRI Jamshedpur||XAT, GMAT|
|SPJIMR, Mumbai||CAT, GMAT|
|AIMS Institutes, Bangalore||CAT, MAT, ATMA|
|Doon Business School, Dehradun||CAT, CMAT, XAT, MAT, GMAT|
|Welingkar Mumbai||CAT, CMAT, XAT, ATMA, GMAT|
|ITM Navi Mumbai||CAT, CMAT, NMAT by GMAC, XAT, MAT, ATMA, GMAT, MAH MBA CET|
|PSGIM Coimbatore||CAT, MAT, ATMA|
|NDIM Delhi||CAT, CMAT, XAT, MAT, ATMA, GMAT|
|XIME Bangalore||CAT, CMAT, XAT, MAT, ATMA, GMAT|
|NMIMS Bangalore||NMAT by GMAC|
Syllabus for the Course of PGDM
The syllabus for the PGDM programme differs by institution. Its goal is to provide understanding and abilities in a wide range of areas, including business. Accounting, finance, economics, insurance, business law, and administration just are a few of the subjects covered.
|Organizational Behavior-I||Organizational Behavior-II|
|Accounting for Managers||Marketing Management-I|
|Quantitative Techniques for BusinessDecisions-I||Cost & Management Accounting|
|Managerial Economics||Quantitative Techniques for BusinessDecisions-II|
|Computer Applications for Business||Macro Economics|
|Personal & Professional SkillsProgram-I (Managerial Communication)||Financial Management-I|
|–||Personal & Professional SkillsProgram-II|
|Human Resource Management||Business Policy & Ethics|
|Marketing Management-II||Summer Internship|
|Financial Management-II||6 Electives (Three each from two areas of Specialization)|
|Legal Aspects of Business||–|
|Research Applications in Business||–|
|International Business Environment||–|
|Business Environment & Policy||–|
|Corporate Governance & Corporate Social Responsibility||Dissertation (Final Submission)|
|Strategic Management||2 Electives (One each from two areas of Specialization)|
|4 Electives (Two each from two areas of Specialization)||–|
|Dissertation (Synopsis Submission)||–|
Career Scope in PGDM
Following the completion of a PGDM programme, graduates can find work both in the government and business, earning between INR 5 and 10 LPA. Pupils can work as professors and lecturers in education and research institutions for Business, Accounting, Business, and Soft Skills, where they will pass on their skills and understanding to younger students.
The table below lists some of the PGDM jobs available for newcomers and experienced people, along with pay information:
|Job Positions||Average Salary (in LPA)|
|International Sales Manager||10,80,000|
The following are the income packages offered for PGDM Placements at various institutes in India:
|Employer Name||Average Salary (Per Annum)|
|Hero Motocorp||INR 4,05,000 – INR 19,05,000|
|Mahindra & Mahindra||INR 5,08,000 – INR 18,43,000|
|Maruti Suzuki||INR 7,85,000 – INR 24,45,300|
|Tata Motors||INR 6,10,070 – INR 22,85,000|
|Bosch||INR 5,90,170 – INR 22,40,000|
|State Bank of India||INR 7,25,580 – INR 20,70,000|
|Ultratech Cement||INR 8,50,000 – INR 28,03,000|
|Kajaria Ceramic||INR 6,70,000 – INR 18,39,000|
|Pidilite Ind||INR 7,58,878 – INR 25,30,897|
|ITC Limited||INR 6,38,009 – INR 19,67,115|
|HCL Ltd||INR 7,35,832 – INR 17,30,000|
|Wipro Infotech||INR 7,65,000 – INR 21,30,000|
|Omaxe Housing||INR 4,90,000 – INR 16,00,000|
|Amazon||INR 8.15,000 – INR 19,30,000|
|Apollo Hospitals||INR 6,50,000 – INR 22,95,000|
|Mahindra Holidays||INR 7,20,128 – INR 18,80,000|
|Larsen & Toubro||INR 8,40,320 – INR 24,80,000|
|Shell||INR 6,76,000 – INR 21,25,000|
|Hindustan Unilever||INR 7,80,000 – INR 23,70,000|
|Asian Paints||INR 7,25,000 – INR 20,42,750|
|Vedanta Group||INR 2,20,000 – INR 21,44,000|
|Bharti Airtel||INR 10,20,975 – INR 21,80,245|
|HDFC Bank||INR 6,90,870 – INR 18,60,400|
|ICICI Bank||INR 6,40,000 – INR 18,91,000|
|Jet Airways||INR 5,90,168 – INR 15,00,000|
|MRF Tyres||INR 7,20,000 – INR 24,02,000|
Future after PGDM Course
A Post Graduate Diploma in Business opens up a world of possibilities for students. There are a number of work prospects for PGDM students in a wide range of industries. Banks, business consulting firms, stock trading firms, investment firms, international trade, budgeting, inventory control, and educational establishments are all good locations to work.
FAQ’s for PGDM Course
Marketing, International Business, Finance, Logistics-Supply Chain Management & Operations, and many other specialities are available through the PGDM programme.
The postgraduate courses of PGDM and MBA are both in the discipline of management. The main distinction is that the PGDM takes a more realistic approach than the MBA. There is also a variance in course fees. For additional information, see PGDM vs MBA.
A minimum of 50% in a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution or university in any stream is required to enrol in the PGDM programme.
Organizational Behaviour, Managerial Accounting, Business Communication, Managerial Economics, Quantitative Techniques, Operations Management, and other courses are covered in the PGDM programme. For a year-by-year breakdown of the curriculum, see the PGDM Syllabus.