A one-year Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM) is a one-year postgraduate course. HRM, in simple terms, is the practice of making efficient and productive use of human resources for achieving objectives. Strategy implementation, management economics, employee law, performance appraisal, human resource development, and other topics are covered in this course.
The program requires a bachelor’s degree in any discipline, with a minimum mark of 50% in the general category and 45 percent in the SC/ST/OBC category. However, the minimum requirements differ from college to college. Admissions are normally made on the basis of an entrance exam. This program is offered by a number of management institutions. The average cost of a PGDHRM program is between INR 8 and INR 25 lakh.
This course is also available as a distance-learning option. IGNOU, AMITY School of Distance Learning, Kota Open University, and others are among the institutions that offer this program online. The estimated yearly fees for a correspondence course PGDHRM program range from INR 10K to INR 25 lakh.
Table of Contents
Eligibility for PGDM in Human Resource Management
- A recognised bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of study is required.
- Students who earned their bachelor’s degree through distance education are not accepted into colleges.
- Graduation with a minimum grade point average of 50% (45 percent for SC and ST candidates).
- Have worked in Human Resources or a similar field for minimum of one year.
- Provisional applications are also accepted from final-year students.
Admission Process for Human Resource Management
Enrollment in PGDHRM programs is normally determined by a national or state-level common entrance exam. Candidates are assessed depending on their performance on these entrance tests. Most institutes use the following process for admitting students to PGDHRM programs:
- Take national entrance examinations such as the CAT, XAT, GMAT, and others.
- The colleges will announce their cut-off marks after the results are released. Applicants can apply to the institutions where they passed the cut-off.
- Applicants will be judged by the institutions based on their performance in the standard entrance tests as well as their past academic experience.
- The institutions will produce a merit list of selected applicants.
- Shortlisted students will be selected to attend the university level entrance exam, which will be accompanied by a GD/PI.
Course Overview for PGDM for Human Resource Management
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management|
|Examination type||Semester system|
|Eligibility||You need to complete graduation with a bachelor’s degree in a legitimate discipline.|
|Admission process||You have to clear a competitive entrance exam. Some colleges also grant admission based on Merit.|
|Top Entrance examinations||CAT, XAT, CMAT, MAH-CET, NMAT by GMAC|
|Average tuition fee||INR 8 – 25 lakh|
|Average salary||INR 2 – 15 lakh|
|Job profiles||Human Resource Executive, HR Managers, Compensation manager, Change Consultant, HR Specialist, etc|
|Top Companies||Snapdeal, SBI, BCG, HCL, Infosys, SAMSUNG, Uber, Microsoft, TCS, IBM, etc.|
What is PGDM in Human Resource Management?
- The Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM) is the 2 years full-time program including 4 semesters of study and projects.
- It is the highest quality program in the area of Human Resources Management. It is proactively designed to provide eligibility, suitability, and competent HR professionals with sufficient knowledge of business to all industrial sectors.
- PGDHRM program offers a platter of HR elective courses and other functional area courses.
- PGDHRM courses can catapult your career in the appropriate direction in the human resources management field.
- The course is designed by the team of experienced human resource and educational experts, which takes into consideration up to the minute developments and trends in the field.
What is the Need to Pursue PGDHRM?
- Students can become valuable members of the organisation, contributing to the company’s prosperity as well as that of its workforce.
- The activity of the HR department in every organisation is critical to the efficient flow and administration of that organisation.
- The HR department is responsible for all areas of employee remuneration, regulations and laws, payment and leave policies, and so on. All of these responsibilities are critical for the firm’s structure and control to be maintained.
- Unless it’s a small business or a large corporation, the Human resources serves as the backbone that keeps the organisation running efficiently 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- The PGDHRM is a solid programme that will open numerous doors for you in the future.
Entrance Exams for PGDHRM
The following are among the entrance examinations that institutes consider when admitting students to the PGDHRM program:
- CAT – A computer-based test for admission to a graduate management school is known as the Common Admission Test. It is a three-year course offered each year by several of the IIMs, with a rotational policy.
- XAT – The Xavier Labor Relations Institute administers the Xavier Aptitude Test, a nationwide entrance exam. It is a three-and-a-half-hour computer-based (online) test.
- MAH-CET – The Maharashtra common entrance test is a two-and-a-half-hour computer-based exam. This exam is held for post graduate management programs offered by Maharashtra-based institutes.
- CMAT – The National Testing Agency administers the Common Management Admission Test, an online computer-based test. This exam will last 3 hours in total.
- NMAT by GMAC – GMAC’s NMAT is a computer-based examination (online). There are no negative marks on this exam. It has a moderately tough design. And the overall duration allocated for this exam is two hours to finish the entire test.
What is the best way to approach for the entrance exam?
- As often as possible, practise. A lot of practise will be necessary in parts like aptitude and logical thinking.
- Concentrate on core subjects like as Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability, and Data Interpretation, and study and answer questions using shortcuts.
- Enhance your general knowledge by reading newspapers and keeping up with current events on a daily basis.
- In the Verbal Ability section, examine predicted problems, last year test papers, and practise papers first, then follow the step-by-step instructions for memorising basic grammar and writing skills. After that, complete books including 10,000 completed MCQs.
How do you get into a decent PGDHRM school?
For several individuals, getting into the best universities for PGDHRM programs is a daunting undertaking. However, you can prevent issues in the application process to top B- institutions by following the steps below.
- Students must be able to thoroughly research a topic, which necessitates the necessary skill set and perseverance.
- It is critical to do well on both the bachelor’s degree final exam and the entrance test.
- Create a list of current events to discuss in the group.
- Learn as much as you can for on-campus examinations.
Top Colleges for PGDHRM
The following table lists the best colleges that provide PGDHRM programs, as well as their program fees and average salaries. NIRF has ranked these universities.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Course Fees||Average Salary Package|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur||INR 4.1 lakh||INR 17 lakh|
|11||International Management Institute||New Delhi||INR 16.49 lakh||INR 12 lakh|
|16||NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 7 lakh||INR 4 lakh|
|17||Apeejay School of Management||New Delhi||INR 7.50 lakh||INR 5 lakh|
|20||Indian Institute of Management||Ranchi||INR 9.75 lakh||INR 5 lakh|
|30||Institute of Technology and Science||Ghaziabad||__||INR 10 – 25 Lakh|
|78||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 4.64 lakh||INR 8.4 lakh|
|113||International School of Informatics and Management||Jaipur||__||INR 4.07 lakh|
|__||Amity Global Business School||Noida||INR 6.32 lakh||INR 5 – 6 lakh|
Syllaus for PGDHRM
PGDHRM is typically a one-year business course with two semesters. The majority of institutes have a syllabus that is very comparable. The subjects that are often covered in PGDHRM are listed below.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Management concepts & Organizational behavior||Human resources management|
|Managerial economics||Human resources development|
|Business environment and Law||Performance management|
|Operations research and management||Employee legislation|
|Strategic management||Organizational development and change|
Distance Education for PGDHRM
A distant learning program can be delivered entirely online or as a hybrid of digital and conventional classroom training.
- Professionals frequently pursue a PGDHRM through distance learning. A PGDHRM certification can help you advance in your career, and a remote online course can help you do so.
- IGNOU is well-known for its remote learning programmes, including the PGDHRM. IGNOU’s degree is well regarded and is significantly less expensive than those offered by other institutions. Also there is no restriction on age. The course lasts a minimum of one year and a maximal of eight years.
The following are among the best institutions that offer a PGDHRM via distant learning:
|College Name||Location||Course Fees|
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 83K|
|AMITY School of Distance Learning||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||INR 1.20 lakh|
|CMR Institute of Management Studies||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 1.8 lakh|
|Kota Open University||Kota, Rajasthan||–|
|IGNOU||New Delhi||INR 11K|
Jobs and Career Options for PGDHRM
- Human resource department are in control of every part of an institution’s service lifecycle.
- Organizing, hiring, and selection procedures, publishing job ads, analysing performance of employees, organising applications and reviewing resumes, arranging meetings and helping in the process, and guaranteeing background checks are all part of HR’s responsibilities.
- Human resources activities and initiatives, such as employee counselling, are also coordinated by HR.
- The final task is routine maintenance. This position is responsible for keeping current HR files and information up to date, as well as monitoring benefit packages and employment history and completing payroll and benefit-related accounts.
- Hr Professional, HR Recruiters, HR Specialist, Compensation Manager, Employee Relations Manager, Training and Development Manager, Change Consultant, and Technical Recruiter are among the most common job titles in HR management.
The table below lists several of the job profiles, along with their descriptions and average salaries:
|HR Generalist||A Human Resources Representative is a specialist who manages effective human resources duties and activities. They’re in charge of hiring, employee engagement, compliance with regulations, and training and development.||INR 4,84,774|
|HR recruiter||Organizing, hiring, and selection procedure posting job ads, reviewing progress, organizing portfolios and job applications, planning interviews, participating in the process, and assuring verification process are among the responsibilities.||INR 4,83,217|
|Training and Development manager||Development and training have the skills to do a needs analysis, design training programs that meet the company’s objectives utilizing a series of training methodologies, generate training materials, and implement and oversee skills training.||INR 7,83,054|
|Employee relations manager||Managers and subordinates are responsible for all aspects of an institution’s employee life cycle. The employee relations manager’s overarching goal is to make sure that the organization’s success is based on its people.||INR 7,32,503|
|Change consultant||Experienced change consultants propose alternatives based on their knowledge and knowledge and aid with implementation. In information evaluation and planning and marketing, this role is quite common.||INR 1,00,235|
Future Scope for PGDHRM
After finishing PGDHRM programs, you have a wide range of job opportunities.
- HR is a job that allows you to interact with a diverse group of people from varied cultures and individual personalities on a daily basis. They generally get to communicate with a number of folks.
- Students of the PGDHRM programme can establish their own consulting firm and hire extra human resources.
- You could be an employee relationship administrator who analyzes applicants, evaluates them, and then hires them, for example.
- You could be a Development and Training Manager, in charge of new hire training.
- Individuals may aspire to explore higher education in the field of management, such as an M.Phil in Management Studies or a PhD in Human Resource Department.
FAQ’s for PGDHRM
HR Generalist, HR Recruiter, HR Specialist, Compensation Manager, Employee Relations Manager, Training and Development Manager, Change Consultant, and Technical Recruiter are among the most common job positions in HR management.
XLRI Jamshedpur, International Management Institute, Amity Global Business School, IIM Ranchi, NIMS University, and others are among the top universities providing PGDHRM.
Students must meet the basic eligibility requirements, which include obtaining a minimum of 50% in their undergraduate studies and passing the IGNOU OPENMAT.
A 70 percentile may not be enough to seek admittance to top IIMs as well as other prestigious institutions. Additional institutions include LPU, XISS Ranchi, VIT Business School Vellore, Gitam Institute of Management Visakhapatnam, and Acharya Bangalore Business School, among others.
Symbiosis School of Distance Learning and NMIMS University are two of the best PGDHRM online educational colleges.