Doctor of Philosophy in Urdu PhD Urdu is a doctorate-level course in the Urdu language. A PhD program can last four or five years, depending on whether the thesis is submitted at the end. Scholars who choose Urdu for their doctoral research are expected to dig deeper into the language and make a detailed theory on the literary aspects of it; they select Urdu literature as their research topic. The program assists candidates in learning important information about the Urdu language’s literary and cultural aspects.
This degree requires students to write a detailed thesis on any of the following topics: Urdu Poetry, Drama, Urdu Fiction, Literary Criticism, and Urdu Literary History, among others. In some cases, the length of the course may differ depending on the institute. Candidates who have completed their PhD in Urdu have a wide range of career.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD Urdu: An Overview
|Name of the Course||PhD in Urdu|
|Course Duration||3-4 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Master’s Degree in a related subject|
|Process of Admission||Entrance + Interview|
|Average Fee for the Course||INR 2000- 2lacs.|
|Average Salary in the beginning||INR 2-10lacs.|
|Areas of Employment||Colleges, News Channels, Embassies, Tuition, Universities, Language Academy|
|Job Profiles||Language Trainer, Reporter, Researcher, Translator, Editor, Assistant Professor, Customer Support Executive, Tutor|
PhD Urdu Eligibility Criteria
- A postgraduate degree in Urdu with a minimum grade of 55 percent from a recognized university is required for a PhD in Urdu.
- Experience of teaching in the same subject would be advantageous.
- M.Phil. holders are welcome to attend.
- Students in their final semester of their M.Phil or MA degree are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants with a first-class Master’s degree in any subject and two years of teaching experience in an institute, or two years of teaching/research experience in the subject concerned or a closely related area in a university department or recognized institution of higher learning, or a minimum of three publications in a recognized refereed journal in the subject in which admission is sought are also eligible.
PhD Urdu Curriculum and Syllabus
The syllabus of PhD in Urdu is as follows:
|Course Year||Topic of Study|
|I||Method of Research|
|I||Identification, Formation and Delimiting of the Research Problem|
|I||The Research Proposal|
|I||Tools of the Research|
|II||Literary History of Urdu|
|II||Meaning and Scope of literary History|
|II||Different concepts of Urdu literary History|
|II||Literary periods of Urdu literature and their importance|
|II||Literary schools and their significance|
|III||Study of Deccani Literature|
|III||Beginning And Evaluation Of Urdu Literature In Deccan|
|III||Salient Features Of Deccani Linguistics|
|III||Farm Of Urdu Literature “Mathnavi”|
|IV||History of Urdu Literary Criticism And Research|
|IV||Importance Of Literary Criticism|
|IV||Principles Of Urdu Literary Criticism|
|IV||Various Thoughts Of School Of Literary Criticism|
PhD Urdu Admission Procedure
- Admission is granted based on a student’s performance in the University’s Entrance Examination. Candidates should do so by checking the University’s website and all major national newspapers on a regular basis. The course notification usually appears alongside the admission notifications for other courses.
- Admission to the PhD program will be determined by the student’s performance on the entrance exam administered by the relevant department or school at the university or institute. Candidates who have passed the GATE/NET/SET/ M.Phil/JRF examinations in relevant subjects administered by apex bodies such as CSIR/UGC/ICAR/ICMR/DBT will be exempt from the Entrance Test. The institute’s Departmental Committee may consider the student’s research work/earlier PhD/experience when granting the exemption.
- A student may be exempt from the entrance exam and pre-PhD coursework if he or she already has a Doctorate degree in any discipline from a UGC Approved University or Institute. The student will be able to pay the course fee or registration fee after completing both steps. Only a limited number of candidates will be accepted into the PhD program.
PhD Urdu: Preparation Plan
A PhD exam must be passed in order to be admitted to the program. However, admission to the program is not easy. As a result, it is critical that an applicant work hard and prepare thoroughly. The mere fact that you took the test does not guarantee you a spot in the class. As a result, here are a few reminders:
- Make sure you’re up to date on the current entrance exam syllabus.
- Solve previous year’s papers to get a sense of the types of questions you’ll see on the entrance exam.
- Examine the master’s curriculum at various universities.
- Examine and prepare for the additions to the syllabus by comparing and contrasting them.
- Familiarize yourself with the exam’s format and prepare for each section accordingly.
- Decide on your area of specialization because a research proposal will be required in the second phase of the admissions process, and an interview will be conducted on the topic.
- Research the topics further and seek to gain as much in-depth knowledge of the Urdu language, literature, and theories as possible.
- Look for contemporary Urdu literary figures, their contributions, and their most recent accomplishments.
PhD Urdu: Important Documents Required
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
- Research Proposal
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
Students should be aware that if the aforementioned certificates are not attached to their application, their application will not be taken into account for admission.
PhD Urdu: Focus Areas
In Urdu, a PhD is a three-to-four-year program that hones a candidate’s research skills. It provides in-depth knowledge of the chosen domain, but the road from start to finish is not easy.
- A candidate for a PhD in Urdu must be responsible, detail-oriented, and have excellent communication skills. Applicants must be willing to work dutifully and passionately because good research work requires a lot of effort.
- The course requires the ability to skim and scan journals, books, and other textual information.
- Candidates must also be passionate about the cultural studies of Urdu literature and language, as well as other aspects of Islam.
- Applicants who are already enrolled as junior research scholars at a university or college and want to advance their careers are a good fit for the program, as are those who are genuinely interested.
PhD in Urdu: Top Institutes
The table below contains information about the top institutes that offer PhD programs in Urdu as well as their rankings.
|Ranking by NIRF and India Today||Institute||Average Annual Fee|
|NIRF 06||University of Delhi||INR 20000|
|NIRF 16||Jamia Millia Islamia||INR 30000|
|NIRF 03||Jawaharlal Nehru University||INR 1381|
|NIRF 07||Banaras Hindu University||INR 9000|
|NIRF 10||Aligarh Muslim University||INR 9285|
|NIRF 12||Punjab University||INR 14500|
|NIRF 06||University of Hyderabad||INR 8980|
|NIRF 52||University of Jammu||INR 75000|
|NIRF 22||University of Madras||INR 10970|
|NIRF 29||Osmania University||INR 1000|
|NIRF 07||University of Calcutta||INR 4400|
|NIRF 41||Queen’s Mary College||INR 1335|
|NIRF 65||University of Mumbai||INR 2000|
|India Today 31||Patna University||INR 9000|
|Outlook ICARE 24||Maulana Azad National Urdu University||INR 9000|
|India Today 38||Allahabad State University||INR 35500|
PhD Urdu: Suitable Candidates for the Course
- Active listening skills, skimming and scanning skills, presentation skills, the ability to gather and process textual information, and intercultural competence are all transferable skills that students should have.
- They should also be familiar with the Urdu language and literature, as well as other aspects of Muslim culture and religion.
- Candidates who are currently employed as junior lecturers in colleges or universities and want to advance their careers are also eligible for the program.
PhD Urdu: Top Foreign Institutes
PhD programs in Urdu are available not only in India but also in a number of other countries. Its popularity is widespread, which is why a doctorate in the language is offered in many countries around the world. The following is a list of them given below:
|QS and World Ranking||Institute||Average Annual Fee|
|QS ranking 801-1000||Ankara University||24000 Turkish Lira per year|
|QS ranking 1001-1200||University of Karachi||48400 Pakistani Rupees|
|CWUR ranking 1806||University of Peshawar||107600 Pakistani Rupees|
|QS ranking 443||University of Konstanz||650 Euros per semester|
|World ranking 5804||National University of Modern Languages||72000 Pakistani Rupees|
|World ranking 8454||Lahore College for Women University||61020 Pakistani Rupees|
PhD Urdu: Areas of Employment
- Various government universities
- Publications Division
- Bureau of Outreach & Communication
- India TimesThe Electronic Media Monitoring Center (EMMC)
- Press Information Bureau
- Zee News
- TATA Consultancy
- The Registrar of Newspapers for India
PhD in Urdu: Distance Programs
Students benefit from the flexibility of distance education because they are not required to physically attend their university on a regular basis. Nalanda Open University, University of Madras, Punjab University, Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Jamia Millia Islamia (Center for Distance and Open Learning), and others offer distance PhD programs in India.
These universities are well-known, and candidates who successfully complete their degrees have an equal chance of landing a reputable job offer.
The following is a list of academic institutions and their average fees:
|Institute Name||Average Annual Fee|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||INR 14000|
|Nalanda Open University||INR 4400|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||INR 5000|
PhD Urdu: Important Skills Required
A candidate must have a few prerequisite skills in order to complete the PhD in Urdu program. These abilities come in handy when pursuing a degree because the journey from enrollment to final thesis acceptance is long. Some of these abilities include:
- Observational skills: To keep an open mind about the country’s present condition regarding the Urdu language.
- Analytical skills: the ability to analyze content from the syllabus, form opinions, and conduct research.
- Language skills: the ability to use the right words to communicate the thoughts or opinions of research work.
- Interpersonal skills: The bonds formed while pursuing a PhD go a long way. As a result, it is critical to maintain positive relationships with coworkers and supervisors.
- The final phase would require you to present your research paper to a panel of faculty members. While pursuing their degree, a PhD student may be assigned to teach classes.
- Writing skills: A candidate’s writing skills must be flawless in order to communicate the significance of original research work.
- PhD scholars must have leadership skills in order to encourage their students as teacher mentors.
- Time management skills: In order to complete your degree on time, you must be able to effectively manage your time and use it wisely.
- Critical thinking is a basic requirement for a PhD student, particularly in the field of language. To arrive at one’s own conclusions, one must evaluate and analyze arguments.
- Scholars occasionally collaborate with other professors and publish works that are beneficial to their learning.
- Project management: Completing research work necessitates the creation of a project, the creation of realistic timelines, and the resolution of problems through the use of concrete solutions.
PhD Urdu: A Comparison between Institutes
The University of Delhi and Jamia Millia Islamia are compared in the table below. Both of these institutions offer PhD programs in Urdu.
|Basis of Comparison||Jamia Millia Islamia||University of Delhi|
|Highlight||A Central University that is committed to bringing about socioeconomic change. The university offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees in a variety of fields.||The first public central university to be designated as a “Institute of Excellence” by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The university offers excellent education to its students, guided by a motto of “dedication, steadfastness, and truth.”|
|Year of Establishment||1920||1922|
|Ranking by NIRF||16||06|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 30000||INR 15-20000|
|Average salary in the beginning||INR 20000||INR 20-25000|
|Top Hiring Firms||Urdu Times, Air India, DD Urdu, DLF, HCL, Maruti Suzuki, NTPC||Aalami Samay, Squid TV, Akhbar Urdu,Doordarshan, Prasar Bharati|
PhD Urdu: Top Profiles of Jobs
It’s important to remember that, just like any other job, you’ll need to start at the bottom and work your way up with time and experience. A candidate may be eligible for higher posts in the chosen industry after a few years of experience. However, in relation to a graduate or postgraduate, PhD Urdu candidates benefit from the fact that their growth is comparatively faster.
The table below provides an overview of the job profile, job type, and estimated average salary.
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average salary|
|Language trainer||A language trainer’s job is to teach people the language and help them improve their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.||INR 2,66,209|
|Urdu writer||This job entails creating Urdu-language content. Their Urdu writings can include thesis, biographies, articles, and more..||INR 3,44,100|
|Editor||Editors are in charge of making changes to the content provided in order to improve its accuracy and clarity. They carefully examine the information provided by authors, journalists, and writers.||INR 3,59,978|
|Private tutor||Students in schools and colleges are guided by private tutors who assist them with their educational needs. They work with students to improve their cognitive abilities and assign work that will help them improve their grades in general.||INR 2,91,632|
|Teacher||A teacher’s job is to meet a student’s needs and help them improve their cognitive, affective, and psychomotor skills. They write lesson plans and present them in the classroom. They are responsible for each and every student in the classroom, so an Urdu teacher’s job entails instilling respect for the language as well as learning and acknowledging literature.||INR 1,00,000|
|Professor||As a professor, you’d be responsible for teaching students about the curriculum and helping them understand it better..||INR 6,00,000|
|Content writer||A content writer is in charge of creating content for a website or any other organisation. The content should be unique and free of plagiarism. The content is written in Urdu by an Urdu content writer.||INR 4,45,300|
|Head of Department||All of the professors in the department are under the supervision of the department’s Head of Department. They are responsible for the students’ needs and progress.||INR 12,94,509|
|Translator||A translator converts a source language into a target language while maintaining its meaning.||INR 4,02,092|
Some other areas of employment
- Urdu Trainer and Writer
- At Urdu Training Centers
- News and Media
- lecturer and professor.
- Colleges and universities
- A Customer Support Executive
- Private Tutor
PhD Urdu: Benefits and Scope
- They have a wide range of career options after completing the course, including teaching and other related fields such as media.
- It is also good and beneficial for those who teach in educational institutions, because after it is passed, they will have greater opportunities for advancement.
- They can also open their own private Urdu language coaching center.
- They can also work as Urdu translators for various languages in Arab countries.
- They can work in a variety of fields, including science, literature, technology, and business.
- In the field of language, freelancing is the new trend; they can work for research firms, translation bureaus, publishing houses, international organisations, the hotel industry, the travel and tourism sector, and so on.
- A candidate is given the opportunity to learn about diverse cultures that are shaped by language. The language’s richness stems from the fact that it is the world’s eleventh most popular language and plays an important role in our country’s history.
- Whether they study poetry, drama, fiction, or literary criticism, PhD students get to see the language in its entirety.
In terms of education, anybody with a PhD has the highest level of education. As a result, it is well worth the effort. Not only that, but once the degree is completed, the job prospects are also expanded and improved.
Several universities, including Nalanda Open University, IGNOU, and Jamia Millia Islamia, offer distance PhD programs. You should definitely look into them and pursue your PhD dreams.
After completing a BA program, admission to a PhD program is not possible because the basic requirement is an MA in Urdu. Only after completing an MA in Urdu after your BA program will you be eligible to pursue a PhD
Various topics, depending on interest, can be used to prepare a research proposal, such as post-1947 Urdu drama, Iqbal the poet and writer, literary theories in Urdu literature, Akhtar Hussain’s contribution to Urdu literature, and so on.
As previously stated, PhD in Urdu scholars have a variety of job opportunities. It is unnecessary to be concerned. Media jobs, teaching jobs, and even corporate jobs pay well and have a good reputation.
While each university has its own registration schedule, one must keep an eye on the university’s website for updates. Each university provides excellent guidance throughout the process
As translators and interpreters, many international companies hire PhD Urdu scholars. They may even necessitate relocation. One can become a citizen of the country after a period of time.
Doctor of Philosophy is abbreviated as PhD. This is an academic or professional degree that qualifies the holder to teach their chosen subject at the university level or work in a specialized role in their chosen field in most countries
To be admitted to a PhD program in India, one must pass the PhD Entrance Exam, which is offered by several academic institutions. UGC NET, Joint CSIR UGC NET, JEST, JGEEBILS, and other PhD entrance exams are the most popular in India.