The PhD (Tamil) is a doctoral degree. It offers a study of contemporary cultural history based on today’s modern media, including print, audio, and electronic. A Doctorate in Tamil is a program that allows students to read extensively in Tamil literature and then conduct research on a topic of their choice.
Research methodology, Vyakarana, Nyaya, Mimamsa, Tamil language and literature, and other subjects are taught to students. Literary Criticism, Fiction, Poetry, Drama, Philosophy, Linguistics, and Literature are all major components of the course.
Table of Contents
PhD Tamil: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctoral|
|Duration of Course||3-5 year|
|Examination Type of Examination||Semester|
|Eligibility Criteria||Masters/Mphil in Tamil|
|Admission Process of Admission||Entrance test in various institutions/ National level examination UGC NET/JRF|
|Fee for Course||INR 4,000-1,00,000|
|Average Salary in the beginning||INR 2,00,000-6,00,000|
|Top Hiring Firms||Tourism, Banks, Media, Police, Professor/Lecturer, Law Firms, Financial organizations, Municipal planning, etc.|
PhD Tamil Eligibility
A post-graduate degree in Tamil is required for eligibility. This course is open to candidates who have completed an M.A. or M.Phil. in Tamil. The required minimum marks differ from a institute to the next and range from 50% to 60%.
This course has no age restrictions, and an applicant can begin it at any point in his or her professional career, depending on his or her needs, suitability, and interest.
Candidates can pursue a PhD in Tamil while maintaining their professional lives through distance education.
PhD Tamil Syllabus
During their PhD in Tamil, candidates will research the following topics:
|First Semester||Second Semester|
|Research Methodology||Tamil language and literature|
|Introduction of Manuscriptology||Vyakarana|
|Essay on the subject of Research||Nyaya|
PhD Tamil Admission Procedure
Institutes usually confirm PhD Tamil candidates based on their graduation grades.
- To ensure that they do not miss out on a seat in this course, aspirants should check the websites of their preferred universities on a regular basis.
- This course is open to applicants with a B.Sc. or Post-Basic in Nursing. They should also be registered nurses with the Indian Nursing Council or any state nursing chamber.
- Up-and-comers will be selected in many schools based on their legitimacy, as determined by the imprints they received on the passing assessment.
- Some universities, on the other hand, guide their own entrance examinations for the selection of understudies.
PhD Tamil: Direct Procedure of Admission
- Go to the official site of the institution you want to attend.
- Fill out the online form or go to the university to fill out the paper form.
- Submit all the necessary documents.
- Wait for the selection process to be done.
Admission based on Entrance
- Fill out the application for admission to the college of your choice.
- Carefully upload all the required documents.
- Make sure you are well prepared for the exam.
- Take an entrance exam.
- Await the outcome.
- Apply for the counselling process, if you’ve passed the cut-off.
- Participate in the counseling process.
- Accept admission to the best college that is available.
PhD Tamil: Important Documents Required
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- Research Proposal
NOTE:- Students should be aware that if the aforementioned certificates are not attached to their application, their application may not be regarded for admission.
PhD Tamil: Preparation Plan
Candidates should pay attention to the following points for better preparation:Go over the curriculum thoroughly and make a list of all the topics that will be covered in the examinations in your book.
- Examine the previous year’s question papers to identify the most common themes.
- Make a schedule based on how much time you will need to prepare.
- Check to see if you’re revising what you’re learning.
- Keep to the schedule.
- The main part will be imprints from the undergrad program.
- A guide will be provided by previous work experience.
- It’s valued if you have a strong work ethic.
- Good relational abilities can play an important role.
PhD Tamil: Important Book Recommendations
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|The Tamil Auxiliary Verb System||Sanford B. Steever ·|
|Spoken Tamil for Absolute Beginners||Sanjay D ·|
|Tamil||David Shulman ·|
|Tamil Language: The Tamil Phrasebook and Dictionary||Aadita Achari ·|
PhD Tamil: Important Entrance Exams
Admission to a PhD in Tamil program can be obtained in a variety of ways. Interested candidates considering enrolling in this course should review the admission requirements.
- National Level Examinations: Candidates must pass national and state-level exams to be admitted to the PhD program in Tamil. These tests are listed below.
- Various institutions hold their own entrance exam and interview, which a candidate must pass in order to be considered for a PhD in Tamil. Candidates must obtain an admission form from the university in which they wish to enroll, complete it, and submit it. They will be required to take the institution’s entrance exam. Following the written test, the candidate will be interviewed, in which he or she must perform well.
- For admission, various institutions administer their own entrance exams and conduct interviews. Candidates can also apply for the UGC NET/JRF All India Level Entrance Examination.
PhD Tamil: Top Institutes
In India, many colleges offer this course. The following are some of the best colleges that offer this program:
|Institute||Average Fees |
|The Madura College||_|
|Yadava College||INR 90,000|
|Government Arts College||INR 12,000|
|Thiagarajar College||INR 1,00,000|
|Vidyasagar College of Arts and Science||INR 10,800|
|Lady Doak College||INR 86,000|
PhD Tamil: A comparison among Institutes
|Basis of Comparison||Tamil University||University Of Madras||Presidency College|
|Highlight||The university was founded in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, to conduct research in music, drama, translation, Tamil language and lexicography. In 1992, the university instituted a research program.||It is a state-run public university in Chennai. The university, which was founded in 1857, is one of India’s oldest. Six of the college’s campuses are located within the city limits.||The Madras Preparatory School, which is located in Chennai, was founded in 1840. It is India’s oldest government-run arts college.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000||INR 5,500||INR 4,000|
|INR 50,000||INR 2,00,000||INR 1,00,000|
PhD Tamil and PhD Kannada: Key Differences
|Basis of Comparison||PhD Tamil||PhD Kannada|
|Duration of Course||2 years||2 years|
|Type of Exam||Semesters||Semesters|
|Eligibility Criteria||Masters/Mphil in Tamil||Masters/Mphil in Tamil|
|Highlight||Candidates take this course to learn about Tamil culture, the advancement of the Tamil language, and Tamil literature. A Ph.D. in Tamil provides in-depth knowledge of the Tamil language and literature.||By comparing, juxtaposing, and contrasting existing literature across languages and cultures, this course provides information of the relative sides of learning kannada.|
|Average Course fee||INR 30,000 – INR 1,50,000||INR 30,000 – INR 1,00,000|
|INR 3,00,000 – INR 6,00,000||INR 4,00,000 – INR 10,00,000|
PhD Tamil: Important Job Profiles
- Lobbying firms
- Industrial Houses
- Financial Organizations
- Educational Institutes
- Municipal Planning
- Field Research Firms
- Multinational Companies
- News Media
- Law Firms
- Business Houses
- Foreign Affairs
- Political Organizations
- Publishing Firms
- Public Works
- Marketing Research Firms
- Multimedia Reporter
- Tamil Linguist
- Tamil Translator and Interpreter
- Tamil Teacher
Some job profiles, job roles, and average salaries are listed below to help candidates understand the job opportunities available after completing a PhD in Tamil.
|Profile of Job||Average Salary Per Annum|
|Tamil News Anchor||INR 2,00,000-5,00,000|
|Tamil content writer or editor||INR 3,00,000-INR 4,00,000|
|Tamil Lecturer/Professor or teacher||INR 4,20,000-INR 12,00,000|
|Tamil Translator||INR 4,00,000-INR 5,00,000|
|Tamil Reporter||INR 2,00,000-3,00,000|
PhD Tamil: Benefits and Scope
There are numerous advantages to pursuing a PhD in Tamil. Some of the advantages are listed below.
- Aspirants wanting to pursue a PhD in Tamil can work as a Tamil teacher, a Tamil translator, a Tamil editor, a Tamil bookkeeper, a Tamil content writer, or a Tamil language blogger, among other professions.
- Candidates will learn about Tamil culture, literature, and language.
- Candidates are usually paid to conduct research in exchange for a stipend, which helps them become self-sufficient.
- After completing a PhD in Tamil, the candidate can add Dr. to his or her name.
- During their PhD in Tamil, candidates have the opportunity to travel and learn about Tamil culture and language.
- Candidates will develop a comprehensive attitude as well as the ability to find solutions to problems. This will assist the candidate in expanding his or her knowledge.
- Experts in Tamil are also required for a foreign language program that teaches the Tamil language. Candidates with a PhD in Tamil language can work for research firms, translation bureaus, global companies, the tourist industry, publishing houses, and so on.
- Candidates can work as a Tamil reporter, Tamil translator, Tamil editor, Tamil anchor, Tamil blogger, Tamil content writer, and so on in the field of journalism. Tamil language experts are in high demand in the translation field, and they also earn a good wage for their efforts.
Yes, individuals can seek this course while working full-time by enrolling in a distance education program for a PhD in Tamil.
A PhD in Tamil is a three-year doctoral program in which students learn in depth about Tamil literature, language, and culture
A candidate who has completed a PhD in Tamil can work as a Tamil anchor, blogger, writer, journalist, teacher, professor, or lecturer.
Yes, colleges such as Kurukshetra University and IGNOU offer a PhD in Tamil through distance education.
Three years. A doctoral degree is known as a PhD. In general, a PhD course lasts three years, and a student can finish it in as little as five years.
No, there is no upper age limit for a PhD, but a Junior Research Fellow (JRF) must be at least 28 years old.
The National Eligibility Test (NET), also known as the UGC NET or NTA-UGC-NET, is an examination used in Indian universities and colleges to determine eligibility for assistant professorships and Junior Research Fellowships.
Doctor of Philosophy is abbreviated as PhD. It is a professional and academic degree that qualifies the holder to instruct their chosen subject at the university level or work in a specialized role in their chosen field in most countries.
For employment as a professor, researcher, or scientist in a university or institution, a PhD is required. A JRF, on the other hand, provides financial support for higher education and academic research.
Yes, you can complete a PhD in four years, but it varies depending on the field you work in and the university you attend. You can start a new career, get a master’s degree, or even write a doctoral thesis if you want to.
When you’re studying for your doctorate, you’re enrolled in a PhD program. A fellowship is a research grant available to students enrolled in a doctoral or master’s program. A fellowship is a research grant which you can receive while pursuing your doctorate or master’s degree.
Doctoral students spend several years having to work on a research study or hypothesis, culminating in a large piece of original work in that field. In its contribution to that field, the thesis will also provide new research and insight to the concerned individuals.