Doctorate Physiology courses are known as PhD Physiology or Doctor of Philosophy in Physiology. A PhD in physiology requires holding a postgraduate degree in a relevant field or equivalent with at least 50 percent aggregate marks. Candidates gain fundamental knowledge in molecular biology, bio-statistics, and biochemistry during their studies. Candidates will receive hands-on laboratory instruction in cells, genetics, mechanisms, and processes of the body, including the nervous system and other organs, as part of the course syllabus.
Postgraduates are hired in positions such as lecturer and professor, psychologist, scientist, radiology coder, psychotherapist, counselor, consultant, teacher, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, clinical social worker, art therapist, etc.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD Physiology: An Overview
Some of the course’s major highlights are listed below.
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Duration of Course||3 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||Post Graduation|
|Process of Admission||Based on entrance test and direct interviews of the short-listed candidates.|
|Fee for the Course||INR 2,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Salary in the beginning||INR 4 to 8 lacs per annum|
|Top Hiring Firms||Kelly Service India Pvt ltd. North eastern Indira Gandhi regional institute of health and medical science, MAX Healthcare, Techs to Suit Inc,Jawaharlal Institute of postgraduate medical education and research, Indian Council of Medical Research, Fortis Healthcare, Apollo Hospitals, Kailash Hospital, Adecco India Private Limited, Jaypee healthcare limited, Meditrina Hospitals Private Limited etc.|
|Top Areas of Recruitment||Psychological Research Centres, Advertising Industry Teaching, Rehabilitation Centers, Welfare Organizations, Psychological assessment and testing, Research Establishments, Development of prevention programs, Forensics Universities/schools, Child/ Youth Guidance Centers etc.|
|Positions of Job||Psychologist, Scientist, Radiology Coder, Psychotherapist, Counselor, Consultant, Lecturer & Professor, Teacher, Clinical Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Clinical Social Worker, Art Therapist, Practitioner, Medical Coder, Research Associate etc.|
PhD Physiology Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible to apply for a PhD in Physiology, a candidate must have a postgraduate degree in a relevant subject or equivalent with at least 50% in the aggregate.
PhD Physiology Syllabus
Here is a semester-by-semester breakdown of the course’s syllabus.
|First Year||Second Year|
|Current Physiological Research||Male & Female Infertility|
|Cardiovascular & Muscle Responses to Injury||Diabetes Mellitus & Secretory Processes|
|Body Fluid Homeostasis||–|
PhD Physiology Admission Procedure
Different universities will have different application procedures. At most universities, there will be both an online and an offline application process. Applicants can obtain a PhD entrance exam form as well as a prospectus by contacting the official address of the university where they wish to study the course.
After correctly filling out the forms, applicants must submit them to the university’s official address by the deadline. Along with the forms, they must also attach any relevant certificates mentioned in the brochure.
Candidates must participate in the admission selection process, which includes:
- A Written Entrance Exam
- A Personal Interview
PhD Physiology: Important Documents Required
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- Research Proposal
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
PhD Physiology: Focus Areas
- Through coursework exploring the interrelationships of tissues, cells, and sub-cellular components, a PhD in Physiology is designed to prepare students for a successful career in the medical sciences. A bachelor’s degree in a science-related field, resume submission, qualifying GRE scores, and research published in a peer-reviewed journal are all required for a PhD in Physiology.
- Students learn about the functions of various biological systems throughout the program. They can also learn about molecular biology, bio-statistics, and biochemistry from the ground up.
- Students engage in extensive laboratory research in areas such as vascular biology, cardiovascular physiology, cellular signaling, and pulmonary physiology, depending on their personal interests. Students may be required to write a dissertation in order to complete the program.
- Physics, inorganic and organic chemistry, biology, algebra, and calculus are some of the required undergraduate prerequisite courses for a physiology PhD. Students learn about the chemical processes and functions of humans, animals, and plants in physiology classes.
- The curriculum provides students with hands-on laboratory experience in areas such as cells, genetics, body mechanisms, and processes, as well as the nervous system and other organs. Interrelationships between healthy and diseased tissues will also be a focus for students.
Important Topics of Study
- Ethics in science
- Molecular genetics
- Cell biology
They should be able to evaluate lifestyle behaviors like physical activity, eating habits, stress levels, and exercise readiness. They must be able to conduct comprehensive functional capacity assessments such as physical fitness, posture, and muscle balance, as well as task-specific bio-mechanical analysis and motor control assessments.
They should be able to conduct exercise tests, including cardio-respiratory and metabolic function assessments, as well as prescribe physical activity and exercise programs to maintain and promote good health.
PhD Physiology: Top Colleges and Universities
Some of the best Indian institutes that offer a PhD in Physiology are listed below:
|Institute Name||Place|| Average|
|All India Institute Of Medical Sciences||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 1,944|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||INR 1,17,000|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 64,400|
|Kasturba Medical College||Mangalore, Karnataka||INR 12,50,000|
|Maulana Azad Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 10,000|
|Jawaharlal Institute Of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research||Pondicherry||INR 6,200|
|Lady Hardinge Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 10,000|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 13,667|
|Grant Medical College||Mumbai Maharashtra||INR 82,400|
|Sri Ramachandra University||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 14,00,000|
|Government Medical College||Amritsar, Punjab||INR 11,000|
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College||Mumbai Maharashtra||INR 86,825|
|Christian Medical College||Ludhiana, Punjab||INR 1,33,000|
|Osmania Medical College||Hyderabad, Telangana||INR 66,666|
|Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College – [Bjmc], Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 72,650|
|Institute Of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research||Kolkata, West Bengal||INR 10,000|
|Bangalore Medical College And Research Institute||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 95,000|
|Sms Medical College||Jaipur, Rajasthan||INR 6,000|
|Government Medical College||Surat, Gujarat||INR 14,000|
|Government Medical College||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala||INR 61,667|
|All India Institute Of Medical Sciences||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 1,944|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||INR 1,17,000|
PhD Physiology: Important Entrance Exams
- The Anna University Center for Research (AUCR) PhD Entrance Test
- GTU PhD Entrance Exam
- ICT Mumbai PhD Entrance Exam
- Himachal Pradesh University (HPU) Shimla PhD Admission Test
- The NDRI PhD entrance exam
- Chaudhary Devi Lal University Sirsa (CDLU) PhD Entrance Exam
- Symbiosis PhD Entrance Examination
- GITAM University Vishakhapatnam PhD Admissions Test
- AIMA PhD Entrance Exam
- Alagappa University (AU) PhD Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati – PhD Admissions Test
- University of Hyderabad (HU) PhD Entrance Exam
- NIPER PhD Entrance Exam
- Kerala University (KU) PhD Entrance Exam
- Kurukshetra University (KU) PhD Entrance Exam
- Punjab Technical University (PTU) PhD Entrance Exam
- BITS Pilani PhD Entrance Examination
- JNU PhD Entrance Exam
- AIIMS PhD Entrance Exam
- Jamia Millia Islamia (JMIU) New Delhi – PhD Admission Test
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR) Mumbai PhD Admission Test
- Annamalai University (AU) PhD Admission test
- The Kalasalingam University (KU) PhD Admission Test
- Faculty of Education University of Delhi (DU) PhD Admission Test
- UGC NET exam
- Jamia Hamdard (JHU) New Delhi PhD Admission Test
- IISC PhD Entrance Exam
- (JIIT) Noida PhD Admission Test
- Delhi Technological University Delhi (DTU) PhD Admission Test
PhD Physiology: Suitable Candidates for the Course
- They should be able to evaluate lifestyle behaviors like physical activity, eating habits, stress levels, and exercise readiness.
- They must be able to conduct comprehensive functional capacity assessments such as physical fitness, posture, and muscle balance, as well as task-specific biomechanical analysis and motor control assessments.
- They should be able to administer exercise tests, assess cardio-respiratory and metabolic function, and recommend physical activity and exercise programs to maintain and improve health.
PhD Physiology: Important Job Profiles
For a Physiologist, job opportunities are always available. They may be able to find work in both private and public organisations. Physiologists are employed by a variety of institutions, including colleges, universities, and schools, as well as hospitals, clinics, and government agencies. Europe, the United States, New Zealand, and Australia are well-known destinations for job opportunities.
The following are some of the popular professional paths open to successful graduates/postgraduates of the course, along with the corresponding salaries offered for the various positions.
|Position of Job||Description of Job||Average Annual Salary|
|Professor||A Professor teaches undergraduates in a variety of post-secondary settings across the globe. They are capable of delivering scholarly articles, conducting research, and instructing.||913,657|
|Medical Coder||They examine and extract system codes from medical record documentation, such as doctor’s notes interpretation, research facility and radiologic results, and so on.||236,801|
|Clinical Associate||Clinical associates help restorative practices improve their working techniques and strategies in the short and long term. They ensure that such systems are satisfactory and comply with state and federal regulations.||542,292|
|Researchers||Researchers are in charge of planning, carrying out, and analyzing data from lab-based tests, investigations, and trials. You could work for government laboratories, environmental organizations, professional research organizations, or colleges.||6,46,112|
|Psychologist||They evaluate, investigate, and treat mental illnesses and behavioral disorders that are caused by or related to physical and physiology.||356,971|
Some other important areas of employment are
- Colleges & Universities
- Military Services
- Pharma Industry
- A Medical Coder
- lecturer and professor.
- Stem Cell Banks
- Self-run Clinics
- Govt./Pvt. Hospitals
- Medical Writing
PhD Physiology: Benefits and Scope
- The program is designed to give students a solid foundation in integrative, systemic, cell, and molecular physiology, as well as to prepare them for independent research and scholarly experience in one of the specialized areas of physiology.
- The program is advantageous in that it prepares highly qualified individuals in various branches of physiology. Candidates for a PhD must complete the required coursework and pass the Comprehensive Examination, which assesses the breadth of their physiological knowledge.
The following are some examples of physiology job titles:
Associate professor of postdoctoral research.
Animal modeling, integrated physiology, and lab head
Scientist specializing in research.
Physiologist for bacteria.
Analyst of data.
A graduate program in physiology that leads to a PhD usually takes four years to complete. The program is adaptable and tailored to the needs and interests of each student.
A bachelor’s degree in a science-related field, qualifying GRE scores, research published in a peer-reviewed journal and resume submission, are all required for a PhD in Physiology. Students learn about the functions of various biological systems throughout the program.
In general, people with a PsyD (Doctor of Psychology) degree use their psychology training to help people who are seeking therapy. PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) holders usually work in the mental health field, either teaching, conducting research, or consulting.
Special physiology, systemic physiology, Cell physiology and pathological physiology, also known as pathology, are all specialties and subdivisions of physiology.
Physiology is the study of animal (including human) function at all levels, including cells, tissues, organ systems, and the entire body. The overarching goal is to explain the basic mechanisms at work in a living organism, as well as how they interact
Clinical physiologists are medical professionals who specialize in body science but are not typically doctors or physicians. Physiologists attend specialized degree programs, mostly at the master’s degree level, rather than medical school.
Yes, physiologists are permitted to work for the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
The PhD in Physiology is a doctoral degree program. Physiology is a vital medical subject that prepares students for a successful career in the medical sciences by exploring the interrelationships of tissues, cells, and sub-cellular components through coursework.