A PhD in Public Administration is a doctoral level course in public administration. The course lasts for a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years. A doctorate in public administration entails a critical examination of current public policies, the identification of missing facts, and the creation of a more comprehensive system.
The doctoral program is concerned with the application of government policy to benefit a large population, the transportation of revolutionary groups and decisions into activities, and the creation of public programs for society’s and citizens’ prosperity. It is a specialized subject that draws theories and concepts from a wide range of fields, including political science, administration, economics, management, law, sociology, and others.
It creates a plethora of job opportunities in the public sector, including positions in departments, governmental institutions, and nonprofits.
Table of Contents
PhD Public Administration: An Overview
|Name of the Course||PhD Public Administration|
|Level of Course||Doctoral Degree|
|Also referred as||Doctorate of Philosophy|
|Duration of Course||1 to 3 years for regular Ph.D. scholars. Up to 5 years for the part time scholars.|
|Type of Examination||Year wise course|
|Eligibility Criteria||Allied Post-Graduation with a grade point average of around 55 percent from any reputable Indian institution as determined by the acknowledging university|
|Process of Admission||Merit-based and Entrance-based (Institute and national level entrances)|
|Fee for Course||INR 10,000 to 2 Lakhs|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4 to 8 LPA|
|Top Hiring Firms||Cognizant, IBM, GCS, Gail India, Logica Pvt. Ltd., APCO Worldwide Limited, Ramboll-IMI Soft Private Limited, etc.|
|Top Areas of Employment||Public Works, Corporate Management, Tribal Administration, Education institutions, Revenue department, Indian Civil Services, etc.|
|Job Positions||, Corporate Manager, Teacher, Professor,Social Worker Customs Inspector, Revenue Inspector, Consultant, Administrative Officer, etc.|
PhD Public Administration Eligibility
- Candidates seeking admission to the PhD Public Administration program must have obtained a minimum grade of 55 percent in their PG/UG studies from a recognized Indian institution.
- Central universities and other well-known arts universities/institutions may prefer a minimum eligible mark of around 80% for PG and UG degrees.
- Some institutions may relax their admission criteria if you have prior experience.
- An interview is held for students who have passed the entrance exam.
PhD Public Administration Syllabus
The PhD in Public Administration curriculum is listed below.
|First Course – Research Methodology and Computer Applications||Second Course- Public Systems Governance|
|Scientific Approach to Research||Introduction|
|Methods of Data Collection||Institutional Framework for Fighting Corruption|
|Analysis of Data and use of Computers||Regulatory Governance|
|Report Writing||Emerging Trends|
|Course III – Public Policy: Theoretical Perspectives||Course IV – Public Administration: Theoretical Perspectives|
|Models of Public Policy||Approaches|
|Approaches to Public Policy Analysis||Modern Approaches|
|Constraints on Public Policy||Contemporary Debates|
|Policy Implementation and Evaluation||Emerging Trends|
|Course V – Field Work||–|
PhD Public Administration: Admission Procedure
According to the regulatory requirements mandated by the affiliated university, candidates for the most prestigious degree of PhD in Public Administration are admitted on a merit-based, entrance-based, or entrance-based with interview basis.
Based on Merit
- PhD applicants are admitted to the Public Administration program on the basis of their PG CGPA or percentage and 10+2 examination/10th examination scores.
- For admission relaxations, previous work experience may well be required.
- It’s possible that a personal interview will be required.
Based on Entrance
- The entrance-based enrollment method admits PhD candidates to the Public Administration program based on their entrance marks and minimum eligibility requirements.
- Depending on the PhD offering institution, entrance exams are held at the national or institutional level.
- For admission relaxations, prior work experience may be required.
- A face to face interview may be required as well.
PhD Public Administration: Important Book Recommendations
The following are among the books which may be considered necessary to be read whilst also pursuing the course:
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Computer Applications in the Social Sciences||Jr. Ronal E. Anderson and Brent Edward E|
|Research Methodology- Concepts and Cases||Neena Sondhi and Chawla Deepak|
|Public Administration Research Methods- Tools for Evaluation and Evidence based practices||Gerber Eller|
|Statistical Methods||Gupta S P|
|Public Management and Governance Second Edition||Elke Löffler, eds., Bovaird, and Tony|
|Public Administration and Public Affairs||Nicholas and Henry|
|The State of Public Administration: Issues, Challenges and Opportunity||Donald Menzel|
PhD Public Administration: Important Entrance Exams
Several entrance exams are held to applicants for admission to the PhD in Public Administration program. The following are among the most popular exams.
- PET 2020 (PhD Entrance Test): PET stands for PhD Entrance Test. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU) in Aurangabad administers this Entrance every year.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2020: Every year, one of the IITs administers the GATE exam, which is used to select candidates for postgraduate and doctoral programs.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University PhD Entrance Test (IGNOU PET) 2020: IGNOU PET stands for Indira Gandhi National Open University PhD Entrance Test. Indira Gandhi National Open University is in charge of this on a national level.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) conducts the UGC NET (University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test) for admission to various disciplines. Many institution-level entrance exams across India are waived for those who pass this exam.
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) 2020: SET stands for Symbiosis Entrance Test. Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication in Pune created and administers SET to admit interdisciplinary candidates to various UG, PG, and PhD degrees.
PhD Public Administration: Focus Areas
- Administration is the focus of the PhD in Public Administration program. This course is for candidates who want to learn more about public administration and related fields.
- The course equips students with the skills they need to administer people properly and contribute to the betterment of society.
- In addition to some practical knowledge, this doctoral program includes subjects like research methodology and computer applications, public systems governance, public policy: theoretical perspectives, and public administration: .
- The course covers both theoretical and practical aspects of the subject. It is well-known for providing students with daily exposure.
- This course emphasizes critical thinking, decision-making, and stress management.
PhD Public Administration: Important Documents Required
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- Research Proposal
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree.
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
PhD Public Administration: Preparation Plan
To succeed in any entrance exam, one can take note of the following points:
- Make a well-thought-out and strategic study plan that fits your daily schedule.
- Master the language and communication sections by studying the ICSE or CBSE syllabus to be prepared for the difficult questions.
- The numerical section, as well as some shortcuts for explaining complex multiplication operational processes in the exam, should be studied.
- There are numerous sub-sections in the reasoning parts. Make sure you’re well aware of most of them.
- History and major political events in the United States should be well-understood. In some cases, this could be a static GK.
- Keep a calendar with all of the important dates for the entrance exams.
- On the basis of any ranking agency that you prefer, learn about the top ranked institution in India. The most widely used ranking organisation is NIRF.
- Check to see if the schools offer merit-based or entrance-based admission.
- Choose an institution based on your PG percentage if merit is accepted.
- Perform well enough in the specific entrance exam if the admission is based on an entrance exam. Understand the curriculum and the exam format.
- Mocks should be given their own time slot.
- Start to prepare for the individual interviews round once you’ve completed the exam.
PhD Public Administration: Top Institutes
Across the country, over 200 institutions offer a PhD in Public Administration. The following are some of the best colleges that offer this program:
|Ranking by NIRF 2020||Institute||Place||Average Annual |
|Average Salary Per Annum|
|3||Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Varanasi||8,000||8 LPA|
|19||Savitribai Phule Pune University-[SPPU]||Pune||20,000||6.5 LPA|
|55||Banasthali Vidyapith University||Jaipur||1.45 Lakhs||5 LPA|
|76||Maharshi Dayanand University- [MDU]||Rohtak||9,000||6 LPA|
|101-150||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU)||Aurangabad||10,000||4 LPA|
|101-150||Annamalai University||Chidambaram||25,000||6 LPA|
|101-150||Anna Adarsh College for Women||Chennai||35,000||4 LPA|
PhD Public Administration: Top Foreign Institutes
As important as it is to seek out the best research, it is also critical to learn about the leading institutions that can help you build a successful career and instill the skills, applications, and techniques that you will need in the professional field. You can apply for a PhD in Public Administration at any of these universities.
- Portland State University
- Old Dominion University,
- University of Central Florida
- University of Missouri
- University of New Orleans
- University of Southern California
- University of Glasgow
- Indiana University – Bloomington
- Georgia State University
- University of Texas – Dallas
- University of Washington
- Florida State University
- University of North Texas
- University of Maryland – College Park
- Keele University
PhD Public Administration: A comparison among Institutes
Below is a comparison of the top colleges in India that offer PhD programs under the umbrella of Public Administration.
|Basis of Comparison||Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Presidency College||Savitribai Phule Pune University-[SPPU]|
|Highlight||Banaras Hindu University, or BHU, is one of India’s top universities. It is a government-run central university that offers courses in Science, Arts, and Management.||Chennai is home to Presidency College. It is a private, self-governing college that offers courses in the arts, commerce, and computer science.||Savitribai Phule Pune University is a state-run institution that offers courses in Arts, Education, Commerce, and Management.|
|Ranking by NIRF||3||5||19|
|Eligibility Criteria||Allied Master degree with at least 55%||Allied Master degree with at least 55%||Allied Master degree with at least 50%|
|Process of Admission||Entrance-based||Merit-based||Entrance-based|
|Average Fees |
|Average Salary |
|10 LPA||7 LPA||6.5 LPA|
|Top Hiring Firms||Intel, Reliance, IBM, DHL, Amazon, etc.||TCS, KPMG, EY, Deloitte, Infosys, etc.||ISRO, Trilogy, Novartis, DRDO,Keysight Technologies, etc.|
PhD in Public Administration: Distance Courses
Without relocating, distance education allows you to gain professional skills and knowledge from top faculty all over the world. Online, you can find the best schools for a PhD in public administration:
- Atlantic International University.
- The University of Maryland
- Walden University
PhD Public Administration and PhD Social Work: Key Differences
The PhD in Public Administration and the PhD in Social Work are two distinct programs with distinct career paths. Some of the most significant differences between the two
|Basis of Comparison||PhD in Public Administration||PhD in Social Work|
|Highlight||The goal of this doctoral degree is to instill administrative skills in students. Scholars learn the fundamentals of administration, as well as the rules and regulations that govern it.||This doctoral degree qualifies you to work as a social worker. The course provides the necessary knowledge and skills to become a social activist.|
|Type of Examination||Semester wise||Semester wise|
|INR 10,000 to 2 Lakhs||INR 15,000 to 2 Lakhs|
|Duration of Course||Minimum 3 years for regular scholars||Minimum 3 years for regular scholars|
|Eligibility Criteria||Allied Post Graduates with around 55 % from any recognized Indian institution.||PostGraduates with at least 50% aggregate from any recognized institution in India.|
|Process of Admission||Merit and entrance-based||Merit and entrance-based|
|Top Employment Areas||Public Works, Corporate Management, Tribal Administration, Revenue department, Education institutions, Indian Civil Services, etc.||Education Institution, Governmental Child welfare, Women welfare, NGOs, and Human rights departments, etc.|
|Roles of Job||Corporate Manager, Teacher, Professor, Customs Inspector, Revenue Inspector,Social Worker, Consultant, Administrative Officer, etc.||Community Mobilizer, Health Educator, Journalist, School,CSR Representative, and Career Counselor, Social Worker, Counselor, etc.|
|INR 4 to 8 LPA||INR 3 to 6 LPA|
PhD Public Administration: Suitable Candidates for the Course
- It is suitable for those who can develop and apply knowledge via teaching, research, consulting, and management.
- They should be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, in order to express their thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Applicants must have a strong personality and the ability to perform well with a diverse group of people both in and out of the organisation.
- Candidates should be able to comprehend human psychology and make decisions that are appropriate for the situation.
PhD in Public Administration: Different Programs
Identifying what programs are available in this field will help one make a better decision when it comes to selecting a research course that individuals believe is appropriate and meets their needs. The following are some of the most popular choices in government.
|Doctor of Philosophy in Public Affairs – Public Policy Analysis||Doctor of Philosophy in Human Development and Family Studies||Doctor of Philosophy in Government and Public Policy|
|PhD in Public Administration and Policy||Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Resources and Policy||PhD in Public Administration and Management|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Urban Studies||PhD Employment Policy and Equalities||Doctor of Philosophy in Education and Human Development|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Public Policy- Social Policy and Inequality||Local Government and Public Policy PhD with Integrated Study||Doctor of Philosophy in Urban Studies – Community Development|
|Doctor of Philosophy in City Planning||Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science – Comparative Public Policy and Governance||Doctor of Philosophy in Public Affairs – Criminal Justice|
PhD Public Administration: Important Areas of Employment
After completing the course, the researchers are placed in positions where sound administrative knowledge and skills are required. After completing a PhD in Public Administration, you could earn around Rs 11 lakh per year.
The following table lists some of the job profiles and descriptions available to such professionals.
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary |
|Management Consultant||They are hired to help companies improve their productivity,management and brand image.||11 LPA|
|Social Worker||They are in charge of assisting those in their immediate vicinity. They speak out against any injustice that exists in society. They hold formal meetings and pay attention to people’s problems.||4 LPA|
|Professor||A professor is in charge of the educational and training methods used to impart useful knowledge to students.||10 LPA|
|Corporate Manager||They manage a company’s various managerial functions, such as sales, production, administration, and overhaul, among others.||6 LPA|
|Administrative Officer||They are in charge of all administration-related activities in an organisation, ensuring that the organization’s operations are balanced and smooth.||4 LPA|
Some other top job profiles
- Police Department
- Economic Development
- Municipal Bodies
- Public Works
- Land Revenue Systems
- Fire and Emergency Services
- Indian Civil Services
- Corporate Management
- Tribal Administration
- Panchayati Raj
- Management Analyst
- Corporate Manager
- Personnel Management Specialist, Learning Relations Specialist
- social worker
- Teacher & Lecturer
- A Customs Inspector
- Administrative Officer
PhD Public Administration: Benefits and Scope
- Public administration is realistic in nature, dealing with the Indian Administrative System in order to help candidates succeed at each stage of the examination, namely the preliminary, mains, and interview.
- The Doctor of Philosophy degree introduces the political, economic, and social consequences of environmental policy, as well as the methods for understanding, evaluating, designing, and implementing them.
- They also have an evergreen job area, namely teaching, which can be pursued after passing certain qualifications such as the UGC-NET on a regular or private basis in degree colleges, university graduate departments, intermediate colleges, and management institutes.
- They can also work as political advisors, assisting government officials in making important decisions in a variety of situations.
- This doctoral program is for those who want to be administrators and want to use their skills to help and guide others.
- A doctorate increases your chances of earning far more than Rs 6 lakh per year, depending on your experience.
- During and after this doctoral degree, there are numerous opportunities to collaborate with international researchers from all over the world.
- This doctorate in public administration is open to many master’s degree holders in a variety of related fields. A master’s degree in political science, for example, can be used to pursue a PhD in public administration.
- Obtaining a doctoral degree qualifies one for employment as a professor at any government or non-government university or college.
Presidency College, Banaras Hindu University, and Banasthali Vidyapith are some of the top universities that offer PhD programs in public administration.
PhD in Public Administration is an abbreviation for Doctor of Philosophy in Public Administration.
Popular entrance exams for admission to PhD programs in public administration include the UGC NET, SET, PET, GATE, IGNOU PET, and others.
M.Phil + PhD in Public Administration, as well as a PhD in Public Administration and Political Science, are two options.
Some of the institutes with strong placement records for the course are Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Annammlai University, and Presidency College.
Some of the top government institutions that offer PhD in Public Administration programs include Annamalai University, Savitribai Phule Pune University, and Maharshi Dayanand University.
Banasthali Vidyapith University and Presidency College are two of the most prestigious private institutions that offer a PhD in Public Administration program.
Research Methodology and Computer Applications, Public Systems Governance, Public Policy: Theoretical Perspectives, and Public Administration: Theoretical Perspectives, among other topics.