The three-year Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Science program tends to focus on the chemical, biological, as well as physical aspects of the environment. It is also viewed as a more advanced study of sustainable energy, pollution, climatic changes, biodiversity, the plastic threat, and global warming as it is a component of social science and natural science.
Global warming, water and air pollution, soil degradation, drought, deforestation, melting polar caps, and glacier ice loss are just a few of the themes explored in the coursework and research. Then there’s wastewater treatment, sewage treatment, and so on.
Postgraduates who are interested in continuing their education in this field can apply for management positions. For those wanting to pursue the discipline professionally, scientific research and consulting services are available.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD Environmental Science: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Also referred to as||Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Science|
|Duration of Course||3 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester-based or Annual|
|Eligibility Criteria||Master’s Degree/ Post-graduation with a minimum of 55%|
|Process of Admission||Merit-based / Entrance Examination|
|Fee for Course||INR 1,000 – INR 2,00,000|
|INR 4,000 – INR 10,00,000|
|Top Employment Areas||Wildlife Institute of India, Godrej, Discovery, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Senior Program Officer, Environmental Photographer, Waste Management Director, Senior Catastrophe Risk Modeler, Environment Management Analyst, Zoologist, Research Associate, Hydrologist, and the like. Wildlife Film-maker, Research Assistant, Environment Journalist, Forest Carbon Specialist, Conservation Hydrologist, Senior Program Officer, Environment Photographer, Waste Management Supervisor, Senior Catastrophe Risk Modeler, Environment Management Advisor, Zoologist, Senior Researcher, Hydrologist, and so on..|
|Employment Areas||Academic institutions, environmental protection companies, water treatment facilities, agriculture, weather departments, environmental content writings, national parks and wildlife reserves, waste management plants, and so on.|
PhD Environmental Science Eligibility
- Master’s degree with a minimum of 55 percent or equivalent grade from any recognized university or institution.
- Candidates belonging to the SC/ST/OBC/Differently-abled and other categories will be given a 5% relaxation, as decided by the UGC and the Government of India.
- Applicants who have passed the GATE/CSIR-UGC/JRF/NET/SLET in the relevant subject are exempt from the Entrance Test.
- Candidates with an M.Phil. degree are eligible to apply.
PhD Environmental Science Syllabus
|1||Ecosystems and Biogeo cycles|
|2||Environmental Impact Analysis and Assessment|
|3||Anaerobic Systems and An aerobic Treatment of Wastes|
|5||Industrial wastes Impacts on Agro-Ecosystem|
|1. Environmental Pollution and Control|
|1||Pollution monitoring and control|
|2||Waste water treatment technology|
|2. Waste management|
|1||Composting of organic wastes and sledges|
|Minor (Other than major discipline)|
PhD Environmental Science Admission
Based on Merit: The majority of private universities offering PhD Environmental Science program accept candidates based on their master’s or graduate degree grades. These colleges may also undertake a Personal Interview or a Detailed Test to learn more about the candidate’s abilities.
Based on Entrance Examination: Best PhD academic institutions such as Banaras Hindu University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Amity University, and others offer admission to the PhD Environmental Science program through entrance examinations that typically consist of MCQ-based questions on environmental-related topics, allowing the institution to screen eligible candidates for admission.
PhD Environmental Science and PhD Environmental Engineering: Key Differences:
|Basis of Comparison||PhD Environmental Science||PhD Environmental Engineering|
|Also referred to as||Doctor of Philosophy, Environment Science||Doctor of Philosophy, Environmental Engineering|
|Highlight||It’s a field of study that focuses on environmental problems and how to address them..||It’s a research project that focuses on the development of technologies that help protect the environment, such as soil and water.|
|Duration of Course||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Master’s Degree/ PG with a minimum of 55%||Master’s Degree for a recognized institute|
|Type of Examination||Both Semester-based and Annual||Both Semester-based and Annual|
|Process of Admission||Merit-based / Entrance Examination||Merit-based / Entrance Examination|
|Profiles of Job||Senior Program Officer, Environment Photographer, Waste Management Director, Senior Catastrophe Risk Modeler, Environment Management Analyst, Zoologist, Research Associate, Hydrologist, etc. Wildlife Film-maker, Research Assistant, Environment Journalist, Forest Carbon Specialist, Conservation Hydrologist, Senior Program Officer, Environment Photographer, Waste Management Director, Senior Catastrophe Risk Modeler, Environment Management Analyst, Zoologist, Research Associate, Hydrologist, etc.||Environmental Officer, Bio-research Assistant, and Environmental Engineer. Research Assistant, Environment Specialist, Advanced Test Engineer, Health and Safety Administrator, Project Assistant/Associate, Lecturer/Professor, Project Coordinator, Environmental Officer, Bio-research Assistant, and Environmental Engineer.|
|Employment Areas||Academic institutions, environmental protection companies, water treatment plants, agriculture, weather departments, environmental content writings, national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, waste management plants, and so on.||TE Connectivity Ltd., Talific Consulting Services Pvt. Ltd., Johnson & Johnson Pvt. Ltd., Sahara India Pariwar, ERM India Pvt. Ltd., and others.|
|Fees on Average||INR 1,000 – INR 2,00,000||INR 3,000 – INR 2,00,000|
|Salary on Average||INR 4,00,000 – INR 10,00,000||INR 3,00,000 – INR 10,00,000|
PhD in Environmental Science: Preparation Plan
- The PhD Environmental Science entrance exam syllabus will differ from one college to the next. The majority of exams, on the other hand, focus on environmental knowledge and skills.
- Students should be familiar with the whole syllabus of the entrance test they will be taking, as some of these exams are solely based on environmental knowledge.
- Candidates should consider purchasing study materials or previous year’s PhD entrance test question papers and practicing them for PhD Environmental Science entrance exams in order to be well prepared.
- Environmental Science textbooks are also useful study resources for these exams.
- Candidates are chosen for interviews after passing their respective entrance exams.
- The best way to get into a good PhD college is to take the CSIR-NET and UGC-NET exams, and for some colleges, GATE is also required.
- A few private institutes offer the course, and students are admitted based on their performance in a relevant entrance exam, followed by a round of personal interviews.
- Candidates must perform well on the respective entrance exams in order to gain admission to a good college for the PhD Environmental Science program.
- M.Phil. competitions with above-average grades can also assist candidates in gaining admission to good colleges.
PhD Environmental Science Top Institutes
|Ranking by NIRF 2021||Institute||Place||Average Fees|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University||New Delhi||INR 1,391||INR 3,50,000|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 8,368||INR 4,00,000|
|7||University of Calcutta||Kolkata||INR 4,400||INR 5,00,000|
|37||Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,00||INR 8,20,000|
|55||Banasthali Vidyapeeth||Jaipur||INR 1,63,500||INR 7,00,000|
|64||Punjab University||Chandigarh||INR 11,600||INR 5,25,000|
|–||SRM University||Delhi NCR||INR 1,25,000||INR 9,00,000|
|–||Sharda University||Noida||INR 50,000||INR 6,50,000|
|–||Doon University||Dehradun||INR 40,000||INR 6,00,000|
PhD Environmental Science: Distance Course (IGNOU)
PhD Environmental Science is also available as a correspondence program. This course is available through correspondence from a variety of distance learning institutes. Of the distance learning institutes, IGNOU is the most well-known. PhD Environmental Science by correspondence is advantageous for those who want to obtain a degree while maintaining their current employment.
- PhD Environmental Science courses are available at IGNOU for a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 6 years.
- There is no upper or lower age limit for this course.
- IGNOU’s PhDprogram is fully accredited by the University Grants Commission.
- Candidates interested in pursuing this course must meet the minimum eligibility requirements, which include a master’s degree in any field with a minimum of 55 percent. Candidates in the reserved categories and those with disabilities are given a 5% discount.
- Admissions will be made on the basis of a national entrance exam administered by IGNOU.
- This program costs INR 16,800 in course fees.
PhD Environmental Science: Important Book Recommendations
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Global Water: Issues and Insights||David Allendes|
|Earth and Environmental Sciences||by Imran Ahmad Dar, Mithas Ahmad Dar|
|Silent Spring||Rachel Carson|
|Environmental Studies||Benny Joseph|
|Environmental Science||Dr. Y K Singh|
PhD Environmental Science: A Comparison Among Top Institutes
|Basis of Comparison||Banaras Hindu University||Amity University||Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|Highlight||It is one of the country’s oldest public universities. It is widely regarded as the best college for pursuing a PhD program.||Amity University, which began operations in 2005, is one of India’s top universities, offering PhD programs among other study options.||In 1969, Jawaharlal Nehru University was founded. Among another research program, its PhD program is highly regarded.|
|Rank in 2021||NIRF: 3||NIRF: 37||NIRF: 2|
|Fees on Average||INR 8,368||INR 1,00,000||INR 1,391|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 8,20,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Top Hiring Companies||Infosys, Coal India, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank, Pantaloon, Visa Steel, FINO, Ansal API, and others are among the companies represented.||Among the companies represented are American Express, Hindustan Times, Nestle, Microsoft India, Nokia, PepsiCo, Wipro, and others.||Aricent, Birlasoft, Amdocs, Affymax, Accenture, Capital IQ, D E Shaw & Co, Blue Star, Cyprus, Cadence, CMC Limited, HP, Hughes, and other companies are among them..|
PhD Environmental Science: Important Job Profiles
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||
|Research Associate||A Research Associate’s main responsibility is to participate in detailed analyses of projects and their environmental impacts. They also conduct research from which they develop environmental protection techniques.||INR 5,50,000|
|Ecologist||They have a variety of responsibilities, including writing environmental impact reports, maintaining habitats, teaching in schools, assisting with legislation, conducting surveys, and more. They also assist in the surveying of ecosystems and the creation of assessments pertaining to the diversity, behaviour, and population of the various organisms that make up the ecosystem.||INR 7,20,000|
|Zoologist||They are scientists who work in outdoor spaces and study living organisms, particularly animals.||INR 9,00,000|
|Environmental Scientist||An expert who studies the physical environment of objects is known as an environmental scientist. His research focuses on the interactions between the environment’s physical, chemical, and biological components. Environmental scientists study pollution and environmental degradation caused by human activities, as well as their negative impact on biodiversity and natural sustainability.||INR 4,80,000|
|Hydrologist||These professionals study water and its properties, availability, and cycle for a government agency or a private organisation. Hydrologists assist in the resolution of water-related problems such as storm surges, floods, and droughts.||INR 8,50,000|
They are professionally involved in teaching undergraduate and graduate students about the discipline and evaluating their academic performance.
Some other employment areas include:
- Environment Protection Companies
- Wildlife Film-maker
- Research Assistant
- Conservation Hydrologist
- Senior Program Officer
- Forest Carbon Specialist
- Waste Management Director:
- Weather Departments
- Agriculture Sector
- Research Fellow
- Academic Institutes
- National Parks & Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Senior Catastrophe Risk Modeller
- Waste Management Plants
- lecturer and teacher
- An Environment Journalist
- Water Treatment Plants
- Environment Content Writer
- Environment Photographer
PhD in Environmental Science: Benefits and Scope
- Environmental science is a vast field, and candidates must choose their area of specialization based on their background and interests. Sustainable development, energy conservation, conservation science, forestry management, ecosystems, marine biology, remote sensing, botany, and other fields are among those chosen by a few of them.
- This PhD program begins with the submission of a research proposal to the appropriate university. They will attend some high-level seminars covering topics related to their research area once they have been approved and admitted through the selection process.
- The seminars are supplemented by coursework and original research conducted by the candidates. They must write a dissertation based on the research and defend it in viva-voce in front of the dissertation committee.
- The research and coursework are focused on current environmental concerns such as air and water pollution, global warming, soil erosion, deforestation, desertification, melting polar caps, and glacier ice loss.
- They can be used by a variety of organisations in this sector, including the Water Authority, the Pollution Control Board, and Urban Planning.
- There are many private organisations that offer various job opportunities for graduates in this field, such as refineries, distilleries, food processing industries, and fertilizer plants.
- Managerial positions in fertilizer plants and food processing companies are available to them.
- Graduates can work as Environmental Journalists for any newspaper, magazine, or television station in this field.
- Candidates can also join organisations of their choice; a growing number of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) are working on environmental issues.
- After completing the course, candidates can pursue careers in teaching and research in roles such as Ecologist, Scientist, Consultant, Lecturer, Technician, Research Assistant, and so on.
Environmental scientists can work in a variety of settings. Environmental biologists, environmental engineers, environmental modelers, and environmental journalists are some of the jobs they can do. They can find employment as environmental consultants or for any consultancy after completing a PhD in environmental science. environmental consultancies such as RAMKY, ENZEN, and others, for example.
They can, in fact, pursue a career in the private sector. Because industries must find environmentally friendly ways to dispose of waste, As a result, they hire graduates to work in their waste disposal departments or to find ways to reuse waste materials in some way. These measures are needed because the government has the power to shut down such businesses.
Yes, PhD environmental science graduates are in high demand right now and will continue to be in the future. Because of human development, our environment is becoming increasingly polluted and contaminated. It is becoming increasingly important to maintain proper standards and implement the necessary controls. As a result, environmental science research is in high demand in order to protect our mother earth.
Environmental Science or Disaster Management are two courses that students take from fifth grade through graduation. The Indian government has made these subjects compulsory in all courses of study. It’s not just a curriculum to study; it’s a curriculum to learn and put into practice in order to make the world a better place. As a result, becoming a professor of environmental science will be advantageous.
Students can work in academic institutes, environmental protection companies, water treatment plants, agriculture, weather departments, environmental content manuscripts, national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, waste management plants, and other places.
They can, of course, start their own company. Various start-ups have been collaborating on environmental issues and devising innovative solutions to the problems. A few of them are re-purposing waste materials and profiting from them. PhD holders can start businesses and receive government funding because they are informed enough to find solutions to environmental problems.
Both courses are excellent and cover different topics in environmental field science. If a person wants to choose among these, it is determined by the student’s academic background and interests. While a student with a background in engineering can apply to any of the courses, those with a Master of Science or M.Phil from any of the sciences may only be able to enroll in PhD Environmental Science.
Banaras Hindu University, Amity University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, University of Calcutta, and Banasthali Vidyapeeth are among the top institutes and colleges for the PhD Environmental Science programme.