A PhD in Computer Science and Engineering is a doctoral program. A PhD in Computer Science and Engineering is a professional and academic course in computer science and engineering that lasts between 2-4 and a maximum of 6 years.
The PhD in Computer Science and Engineering focuses on in-depth knowledge, analysis, and research in the field of computer science. Advanced algorithms, statistical methods in AI, information security, database systems, computer networks, and other topics are covered in a PhD in Computer Science and Engineering program.
The areas of research include machine learning and its applications in computational biology, evolutionary algorithms, operating systems, distributed systems, networks, database management systems, formal modelling, synthesis, and verification of embedded systems, user modelling, model-based evaluation of interactive systems, rehabilitation engineering, networking, fault tolerance, systems biology, embedded systems, digital signal processing, speech processing, man-machine interaction, rehabilitation engineering, networking, human-computer interaction, fault tolerance, embedded systems, digital signal processing, speech processing, man-machine interaction, and many more.
There are institutes offering M.Tech. and PhD programs in computer science and engineering. Postgraduate professor, computer information research scientist, and other job titles exist in PhD computer science and engineering.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Duration of Course||2-6 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||M.Phil or equivalent Masters programs in Computer Science and Engineering: M.Tech|
|Process of Admission||Entrance-Test Based/Merit-based/Equivalent % n relevant in the field|
|Fee for the Course||INR 50,000 and INR 3,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000-INR 30,00,000/-.|
|Top Hiring Firms||Amazon, TCS, Flipkart, Deloitte, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, Accenture, Cognizant, Facebook|
|Positions of Job||Research Scientist, Software Developer, Computer Architect, Software Engineer, Computer Scientist, Hardware Engineer, information scientist|
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering Eligibility
The following are the minimum requirements for admission to the PhD Computer Science and Engineering program:
- B.Tech/M.Tech in any engineering branch or related field
- Master’s degree in computer science and engineering (M.Phil.) or a relevant master’s degree in computer science and engineering
PhD Computer Science and Engineering Syllabus
A PhD in Computer Science allows students to gain expertise in the subject by deepening their understanding of the domain. The course curriculum aims to prepare students to be an overall domain expert who is ready to enter the job market.
|Group A||Group B|
|Computer Architecture/Computer organization|
Data and file structures
Design and analysis of algorithms
Automatic, Languages and computation
|Advanced algorithms for graph and combinatorial optimization problems and vector spaces 13. |
Digital signal processing
Document processing and retrieval of Fault-tolerant computing
For the thesis, the candidate must select a specific topic within the subject and submit it to the university. In the first year, the candidate will be assigned coursework in which he or she will research the work of other scientists in order to gain a better understanding of his or her topic.
Candidates will begin their thesis research after completing their coursework. The supervisor will be the first to receive the thesis. Other university professors will review the thesis and may make suggestions for changes.
After your thesis has been approved by the university, it will be subjected to an external examination by experts from other universities and industries. Candidates must be able to present their thesis to examiners and defend it.
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering Admission Procedure
The PhD Computer Science and Engineering application process is similar to that of any other engineering program in that candidates must take competitive exams at the universities or colleges of their choice. You must first take competitive exams such as the JEE or GATE.
- You must fill out application forms and provide all the required documents before waiting for your results to be announced. After the results are announced, most colleges conduct an interview process. The application form for PhD programs in IITs, for example, is available twice a year. As a result, one can apply for either of the two jobs. It is always advantageous to have a good GATE score for admission, but it is not required. The final list is then created using three major parameters: the percentage of candidates who passed the written exam, the interview, and the presentation rounds.
- Candidates who pass exams such as the U.G.C NET and JEST are also given a fellowship to pursue a PhD.
PhD Computer Science and Engineering: Important Documents Required
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the University last attended)
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Research Proposal
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
Students should be aware that if the aforementioned certificates are not attached to their application, their application will not be taken into account for admission.
PhD Computer Science and Engineering: Important Entrance Exams
Apart from JEEs, a few college-based entrance exams are also included.
- Indian Institute of Science (IIS) Entrance Test
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing Jabalpur IIITDM PhD Admission Test
- Centre of Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences (CBCS), University of Allahabad PhD Entrance Exam
- GATE-Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- Chennai Mathematical Institute Admission Test-Computer Science and Engineering
- Osmania University PhD Entrance Exam
- IIST Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Thiruvananthapuram PhD Admission Test
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Delhi – PhD Admission Test
Suitable Candidates for the Course
- A candidate should be able to create and invent things, have a good understanding of technology, and have an interest in math and science.
- Candidates should also have strong analytical abilities, a keen eye for detail, the ability to pay attention for long periods of time, and the ability to solve problems.
- They should have strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to analyze and evaluate data. They should also be able to make decisions, work in groups, and express themselves verbally and non-verbally.
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering: Focus Areas
Computer science is a broad field of study that encompasses topics such as networking, hardware, digital electronics, software development, and electronic circuitry, as well as web development. With an increasing shift in the use of technology, the field of computer science has seen exponential growth in the last ten years.
The growing popularity of computer science has resulted in an increase in the number of students pursuing academic courses in the field of computer science engineering. This has increased their chances of finding work as well as provided them with several creative opportunities in the field.
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering: Top Institutes
The following are the top colleges for PhDs in computer science and engineering:
|Institute Name||Average Fees (Annually)|
|IIT, Bombay||INR 2,00,000|
|Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore||INR 72,000|
|IIT Madras||INR 1,50,000-INR 2,00,000|
|BMS College of Engineering Bangalore||INR 50,000 – INR 80,000|
|IIT Delhi||INR 2,00,000-INR 2,50,000|
|Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology||INR 50,000-INR 80,000|
|R.V. College of Engineering University||INR 50,000-INR 80,000|
|NIT Trichy||INR 50,000-INR 1,50,000|
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering: Distance Program
The PhD course was previously available via distance education. However, the UGC has now declared that the Doctorate Degree course via distance education is no longer valid. Candidates must complete this course at a university under the supervision of expert professors.
PhD Computer Science and Engineering: A Comparison between Institutes
|Basis of Comparison||IIT||NIT|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 2,00,000||INR 1,50,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 20,00,000||INR 15,00,000|
|Top Firms||Amazon, TCS, Goldman Sachs||Amazon, Microsoft, TCS|
|Opportunities for Research||Very High||High|
PhD in Computer Science: Important Job Profiles
With a PhD in Computer Science and Engineering, one can pursue a variety of careers in this rapidly expanding field. In the field of computer science, there are a variety of career options available, ranging from professional academicians and professors to research scientists and architects.
Software development, research, network systems, computer architecture, and other areas of employment are among the most common. Teaching jobs, such as post-graduate professors, are common in both the private and public sectors.
A doctorate in computer science is typically the highest degree one can obtain in the field. Individuals who complete their PhD work in higher positions in tech-based companies’ research and development departments after completing their education.In addition, many computer science PhD holders hold positions as professors at prestigious universities such as Cambridge University and Harvard University.
There are numerous examples of computer scientists who have completed a PhD and are now employed by some of the world’s largest tech and e-commerce companies, including Google, Amazon, and Facebook. In such companies, a computer scientist’s annual salary ranges from 30 lakh to 3 crore INR.
The majority of private jobs for PhD computer science graduates are available in European countries, with the United States accounting for the majority of them.
The following are some potential job opportunities and career paths after completing this course:
|Job Profile||Description of Job||Average Annual Salary|
|Information Research Scientist||Through research, development, and experimentation, information research scientists investigate the use of computing technology to solve problems.||INR 366,000|
|Computer Hardware Engineer||Computer hardware engineers use their skills to create computer and i-computer components. They are primarily concerned with improving the efficiency of these parts, such as speed, efficiency, and capacity, and their work entails developing and improving computer parts in order to maximize operational efficiency.||INR 2,75,000-INR 3,35,000|
|IT support analyst||IT support analysts are in charge of providing a technical setup as well as advice on IT-related issues.||INR 312,000|
|IT consultant||An IT consultant is a person who is in charge of providing consulting services to clients in order to develop efficient IT systems (both internal and external).||INR 846,711 to 1,466,071|
|College Professors||In reputed universities, they teach post-graduate and undergraduate students in the field of computer science.||INR 292,705|
|Web designer||Web designers design websites for a variety of purposes based on the needs of businesses, research departments, and other organisations.||INR 233,558|
|Software Developer||The job entails a variety of programming and software development tasks that enable users to interact in a simple and effective manner. It entails programming, website development, and application development.||INR 390,970-4,10,000|
Some other important areas of employment are
- IT Service Providing Companies
- Defense Sector
- Networking Specialist
- Agriculture Sector
- Lecturer & Professor
- e-Commerce Specialist
- Software Engineer
- IT consultancy
- Lab Instructor
- Help Desk Specialist
- Development Manager
- Financial Services
- Data-warehouse Analyst
- Aerospace Company
- Web Developer
- Academic Institutions
- Telecommunication Companies
- Retail Sector
- Healthcare Sector
- Manufacturing Units
- IT Departments
- System Designer
- Subject Matter Expert
PhD in Computer Science and Engineering: Benefits and Scope
- The PhD in Computer Science and Engineering adds a great deal to the already existing degrees in the field. It’s a very creative and in-depth degree that can lead to a variety of highly flexible career options. The entire course is built around dissertations, theses, and extensive research, allowing students to develop their own ideas.
- Deep-end research skills, writing skills, and in-depth knowledge of the topic chosen in relevant fields are among the skills that a student will develop while pursuing the course. The most important skill instilled during the process is the development of strong research personalities with full-fledged plans to publish their thesis and research in prestigious academic journals.
- The course will help you solve problems ranging from highly theoretical and mathematical to modelling and experimentation, as well as the development of new technologies.
- After completing the course, they will be able to instill innovation and the development of technologies that are both sustainable and inclusive, benefiting people from all walks of life.
- They can also work in universities, research, private and public industries, government departments, business and commercial organizations, and the manufacturing sector, among other places.
- They can work in industries that build or use computer-based systems, such as telecommunications, automotive, and aerospace, as programmers, web developers, and e-commerce specialists.
- After passing the U.G.C-NET exam, they are able to secure teaching positions in universities and colleges.
A PhD in Computer Science and Engineering can take anywhere from 3 to 5 years to complete.
PhD (Computer Science and Engineering) graduates earn between INR 3 lacs and INR 14 lacs on average. This can be altered based on personal experience and other factors.
Graduates with a PhD in Computer Science and Engineering can work in places like Coaching Centers, Computer Science and Engineering Consultancies, Computer Science and Engineering Departments, Home Tuition, Private Tuition, Research and Development Agencies, and Schools, among other places
Admission to the program is based on merit and entrance exams. Some colleges have their own admissions exams and rounds of personal interviews.
Amazon, TCS, Flipkart, Deloitte, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, Accenture, Cognizant, Facebook, and others are some of the top recruiters for PhD Computer Science and Engineering. Others have gone on to do post-doctoral research at MIT, the University of Colorado, and the Naval Research Laboratory, among others.
The National Eligibility Test (NET), also known as the U.G.C NET or NTA-U.G.C-NET, is an examination conducted in Indian universities and colleges to determine eligibility for assistant professorships and/or Junior Research Fellowships.
The University Grants Commission (U.G.C) was established on December 28, 1953, and by an Act of Parliament in 1956, it became a statutory organisation of the Government of India for the coordination, determination, and maintenance of standards of teaching, examination, and research in university education.
No, there is no upper age limit for a PhD, but for a Junior Research Fellow (JRF), it is 28 years
NAAC is an acronym that stands for National Assessment and Accreditation Council. The Council assesses and accredits Higher Educational Institutions (HEI) like colleges, universities, and other recognised institutions in order to determine the institution’s ‘Quality Status.’