The Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering program is a three-year program that can be extended to five years. Design, programming, theory, and applications are all covered in depth in the PhD in Computer Engineering program. Students with academic goals and students with professional goals in business, industry, and government that require advanced knowledge of computer theory and technology are all given training.
Operating systems, computer architecture, computer graphics, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence, machine learning, embedded systems, computer networks, software systems, algorithm analysis, parallel processing, VLSI, computational geometry, design automation, cyber security, information assurance, and data science are among the sub-fields of computer engineering where courses and research are offered.
Through this course, students will be able to observe how programmers create interactive websites. They also learn about remote internet access, wireless security, and establishing security policies.
Engineers with a PhD in computer engineering can work as engineering technicians, application engineers, research assistants, water resource engineers, chemical engineers, and so on in a variety of industries, including IT, manufacturing, agriculture, retail, aerospace, and telecommunications.
Table of Contents
PhD Computer Engineering: An Overview
The following table lists the highlights of the PhD Computer Engineering program:
|Course Type||PhD Computer Engineering|
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Duration of Course||3 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Master’s degree or equivalent in relevant discipline from a recognized university.|
|Process of Admission||Merit/ Entrance-based|
|INR 30,000 to 4,00,000|
|Positions of Job||Engineering Technician, Application Engineer, Research Assistant, Water Resource Engineer, Chemical Engineer etc.|
|Top Areas of Recruitment||IT Sectors, Manufacturing Units, Agriculture Sectors, Retail Sectors, Aerospace Companies, Telecommunications etc.|
|INR 2,00,000 to 15,00,000|
PhD Computer Engineering Eligibility
The following are the common PhD in Computer Engineering eligibility criteria that candidates must meet in order to be considered for admission to this program:
- Candidates must have a Master’s degree from a recognized university in a relevant field.
- Candidates must pass their master’s degree with a score of at least 50 to 55 percent. The required percentage may differ from one college to the next.
PhD Computer Engineering Syllabus
Although the PhD in Computer Engineering program syllabus varies by college, it generally consists of a few common foundation courses from which students can choose according to their interests.
The table below lists the common subjects that are covered in a structured PhD computer engineering curriculum:
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year|
|Multimedia Systems||ASIC Design||Digital Imaging|
|Mobile Computing||Web Technology||Visualization Techniques|
|Advanced Web Design||Data Structures and Algorithms||Creative Thinking|
|Advanced Databases||Computer Architecture||Neural Networks, Architectures, and Applications|
|e-commerce Technology||Software Engineering Methodologies||Performance Evaluation of Computer System and Networks|
|Data Mining and Data Warehousing||Computer Networks Engineering and Management||Advanced Networks|
|__||Mathematical Structures of Computer Science||Soft Computing|
|__||Database Technology||Pattern Recognition|
|__||Operating System Design||__|
|__||Advanced System Software||__|
PhD in Computer Engineering Admission Procedure
The majority of colleges and institutes that offer PhD in Computer Engineering programs admit students based on their Master’s degree examination results. Some colleges, on the other hand, choose candidates based on national-level entrance exams that assess their abilities and skill sets.
The two major paths for PhD computer engineering admissions are as follows.
Based on Merit
The following is a step-by-step procedure for merit-based admission:
- Step 1: The first step is for students to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Complete the application form with accurate information.
- Step 3: Based on their qualifying examination score, students will be invited for a personal interview.
- Step 4: If a student meets all of the eligibility requirements, he or she will be offered admission to the course.
Based on Entrance
The majority of colleges and universities offer PhD computer engineering admission based on entrance exams such as GATE, UGC NET, and others.
The step-by-step procedure for entrance-based admission is as follows:
- Step 1: The first step is for students to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Complete the application form with accurate information.
- Step 3: Following the examination, the website will post a cutoff list. Candidates will then be assigned seats based on their entrance exam scores.
- Step 4: For admission to this course, some colleges conduct personal interviews and group discussions.
- Step 5: If a student meets all of the eligibility requirements, he or she will be offered admission to the course.
PhD Computer Engineering: Important Entrance Exams
There are numerous national and state-level entrance exams to take in order to be admitted to a PhD program in computer engineering. IITs and NITs, for example, offer PhD computer engineering programs that require candidates to take the GATE exam.
Some of the most popular PhD computer engineering entrance exams are listed below.
- GATE: GATE is a national-level exam held jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) to select candidates for PhD degree jobs or lectureships in Indian universities and colleges.
- UGC NET: It is a national-level exam used to determine eligibility for Assistant Professor and/or Junior Research Fellowship positions in Indian universities and colleges. It is held online and consists of two 100-mark papers, one in Hindi and the other in English.
PhD Computer Engineering: Focus Areas
The following is information and details about the PhD program in Computer Engineering.
- Students pursuing a PhD in Computer Engineering are prepared to be innovative leaders in academic, industrial, and entrepreneurial settings.
- With a small number of required courses, the program is designed with a research focus in mind.
- This allows students to concentrate on their studies.
- Computer Engineering is a department that falls under both Computer Science and Engineering, and it is responsible for dealing with the various integrated fields that fall under the subject of Computer Science using engineering principles.
- The main goal of computer engineering is to develop several fields of computer science using engineering principles.
- Computer engineering’s main concern or goal is to create new computer systems and modernize existing ones by improvising on terms like software, networks, and computer technologies.
- Computer engineering is a dynamic field in which candidates must possess a specific set of skills in order to be successful.
PhD Computer Engineering: Preparation Plan
The PhD in Computer Engineering entrance exam syllabus will differ from one college to the next. The majority of exams, however, focus on topic-specific knowledge and skills in biology and material science.
- Multiple Choice Questions based on computer science and programming are commonly found on the question paper for the entrance examination for admission to the PhD in Computer Engineering program.
- Students should be familiar with the entire syllabus of the entrance exam they will be taking, as some of these exams are solely based on scientific knowledge.
- Candidates should consider purchasing study materials or previous year’s PhD entrance test question papers and practicing them for PhD Computer Engineering entrance exams in order to be well prepared.
- The program’s research proposal must be prepared and thoroughly examined.
- These course books in computer engineering are very useful as study materials for these exams.
- The college selects candidates based on their performance on the respective entrance exams, which are followed by an interview.
- The GATE qualifying cutoff for the general category is 29.5.
- To get into a good PhD computer engineering college, taking the GATE exam is the best way to go, and for some colleges, it is also a good way to go.
- A few private institutes offer the course, which allows students to be admitted based on their performance in a relevant entrance exam followed by a round of personal interviews.
- Candidates must perform well on the respective entrance exams in order to gain admission to a good college for the PhD Computer Engineering program.
- Candidates should devote time and effort to the entrance exam and be prepared for a personal interview.
- They should be well-versed in their research topic so that their research idea can impress the interview panel.
PhD Computer Engineering: Top Institutes
The table below lists the top PhD computer engineering universities and colleges that offer full-time programs.
|Institute Name||Process of Admission||Average Fees |
|16||Jamia Millia Islamia University||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 31,810||INR 4,32,000|
|31||AMU, Aligarh||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 12,285||INR 5,78,000|
|40||NIT, Kurukshetra||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 16,100||INR 5,22,000|
|54||SVNIT, Surat||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 40,000||INR 6,80,000|
|88||GNDU, Amritsar||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 33,465||INR 4,50,000|
|110||MPSTME, Mumbai||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 91,500||INR 7,25,000|
|171||KJSCE, Mumbai||Entrance-Test based followed by Interview||INR 1,70,640||INR 7,52,000|
PhD Computer Engineering: Important Skills Required
Graduates of the PhD program in Computer Engineering will be able to enter the workforce with the following skills:
- computer engineering knowledge at a high level.
- The ability to come up with new solutions to computer engineering problems and develop them.
- ability to lead original computer engineering research and development.
- Ability to teach and mentor in the field of computer engineering
PhD Computer Engineering: Important Book Recommendations
Some of the PhD Computer Engineering subject books listed below can assist students in gaining a better understanding of the course:
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Java: How to Program||Deitel|
|Python for Beginners||Harsh Bhasin|
|Think Python||Allen B Downey|
|Artificial Intelligence-A modern approach||Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig|
|Machine Learning Solutions||Samir Bhatia|
|Advanced-Data Analytics Using Python: With Machine Learning, Deep Learning and NLP Examples||Sayan Mukhopadhyay|
|Machine Learning for Beginners: A Plain English Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning||John Slavio|
PhD Computer Science and PhD Computer Engineering: Key Differences
|Basis of Comparison||PhD Computer Science||PhD Computer Engineering|
|Level of Course||Doctorate||Doctorate|
|Duration of Course||3-5 years||3 years|
|Highlights||The PhD Computer Science course is designed to provide students with research and analysis level knowledge and skills, ensuring that they are well-versed in every small and large aspect of the field of computer science.||The main goal of a PhD in Computer Engineering degree program is to advance several fields of computer science using engineering principles.|
|Criteria for Eligibility||MPhil or any equivalent degree from any recognized college/university with a minimum of 55% marks. (relax able for reserved category candidates)||Master’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.|
|Process of Admission||Entrance/ Merit-Based||Entrance/ Merit-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 to 2,75,000||INR 30,000 to 4,00,000|
|Options for Job||Professor, Information Research Scientist, Hardware Engineer,Software Developer, Network Engineer etc.||Application Engineer, Water Resource Engineer, Engineering Technician,Chemical Engineer etc.|
|INR 3,50,000 to 10,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 15,00,000|
PhD Computer Engineering: Important Documents Required
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- Research Proposal
Students should be aware that if the aforementioned certificates are not attached to their application, their application will not be taken into account for admission.
PhD Computer Engineering: A Comparison among Institutes
The table below shows the comparison among India’s three best PhD computer engineering colleges.
|Basis of Comparison||JMI, New Delhi||AMU, Aligarh||NIT, Kurukshetra|
|Highlight||Students can enroll in Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diploma, and Distance Learning programs at Jamia Millia Islamia. The institution has a long history and is well-known for being culturally rich and elegant.||AMU has a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and research programs. Agricultural Sciences, Arts, Commerce, Engineering & Technology, Law, Life Sciences, Medicine, Management Studies & Research, Science, Social Sciences, Theology, and Unani Medicine are among the 12 faculties, each of which has several departments of studies.||NIT offers B.Tech, M.Tech, MCA, MBA, and doctoral programs in Humanities, Engineering, and Sciences, as well as a doctoral program in Humanities, Engineering, and Sciences.|
|Ranking by NIRF||16||31||40|
|Process of Admission||Entrance test followed by an interview||Entrance test followed by an interview||Entrance test followed by an interview|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 31,810||INR 12,285||INR 16,100|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,32,000||INR 5,22,000||INR 5,78,000|
|Top Employers||TCS, ABB Ltd., Adobe, India Infrastructure, snapdeal.com, Zomato, Mahindra and Mahindra, Navyug Info, etc.||Bharti Airtel Ltd., Blue Star Limited, Infosys, Informatics Business Solutions Pvt Ltd., InvenZone, Cisco, IREO, Jabong, CMS, JRE Group of Institutions etc.||Goldman Sachs, Google, SAMSUNG, EPIC, Microsoft, Adobe, Texas Instruments, HT Media, Oracle, TCS, Idea, Qualcomm, etc.|
PhD Computer Engineering: Top Job Profiles
A candidate with a degree in this field has a wide range of job opportunities. Working for the government, private organisations, and a variety of other sectors will be simple for them. They can also teach in colleges or universities as professors or lecturers.
Computer engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, agriculture, retail, aerospace, telecommunications, and many others.
Engineering Technician, Application Engineer, Research Assistant, Water Resource Engineer, Chemical Engineer, and other positions are available to graduates.
Graduate salaries are determined by a variety of factors, including experience, skills, and job profile.
The table below lists some of the most popular jobs for a PhD in Computer Engineering graduate, along with their corresponding salaries:
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary|
|Computer Engineer||Computer engineers are in charge of evaluating, testing, and developing the software and hardware that allows computers to function. They could assist in the development of games, business applications, and the creation of new operating systems.||INR 4,00,000|
|Application Engineer||Working with engineers on cutting-edge designs and securing design and product contracts are among the duties and responsibilities of an Application Engineer; they suggest new technologies and provide different design approaches that result in market-leading products.||INR 2,85,000|
|Research Assistant||A Research Assistant is expected to contribute to the research project in a variety of ways; for example, conducting literature reviews, collecting and analyzing data, and preparing materials for submission to granting agencies and foundations are all common responsibilities.||INR 3,75,000|
|Design Engineer||Design Engineers specialize in a few areas of development, such as networks, databases or applications, and operating systems, and each area necessitates fluency in its own set of computer languages and development environments.||INR 5,54,000|
|Network Administrator||Network Administrators are in charge of keeping the computing environment up to date by installing upgrades, determining network requirements, and tracking network performance.||INR 4,87,000|
PhD Computer Engineering: Benefits and Scope
A PhD in Computer Engineering is one such course that will undoubtedly assist you in establishing a successful career. The following are some of the main reasons why you should pursue a PhD in computer engineering:
- It’s a more broad field, and the course covers a variety of topics. This well-known introductory programming course begins with the fundamentals. The demand for computer engineers is greater than ever as the technology sector grows.
- This course guides students through the process of becoming professional computer engineers.
- This subject enables students to gain a broad understanding of computer applications and how to use structured formats to solve complex programs.
- This course guides students through the process of creating and inventing new things. This course requires a strong understanding of technology as well as an interest in math and physics.
- This allows students to become more acquainted with programming, computer hardware, and various software techniques.
- It demonstrates a thorough understanding of critical computer science or industrial computing topics.
- It also conducts the necessary analysis and synthesis for computer applications, information systems, and computer systems.
- Students can expect to earn between INR 2,00,000 and INR 15,00,000 per year upon completion of this course.
Students in the PhD Computer Engineering program are prepared to be innovative leaders in academic, industrial, and entrepreneurial environments. With a small number of required courses, this program is designed with a research focus in mind. This allows students to concentrate on their research.
Soft Computing, Computer Systems, Mobile Communication, Network Security, and other elective subjects are covered in Computer Engineering courses.
In order to have a promising career in any field, a candidate must possess certain skills as well as academic knowledge of that course. As a result, some of the skills required in the field of computer engineering are listed below:
Programming language expertise
Understanding of operating systems
Quick learning ability
Ability to manage your time
Understanding the fundamentals of web development
Data Structures and Algorithms techniques are well-understood.
Skills in analysis
Thinking both critically and creatively
Ability to communicate
The doctoral degree in computer engineering takes four to five years to complete and consists of post-coursework master’s and a dissertation.
Yes, for many students, a PhD in computer engineering is worthwhile. Over the next ten years, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 5% increase in computer and information technology jobs.
PhD in Computer Engineering candidates have the opportunity to do original research and make a valuable contribution to their field, which is ideal for graduates from Bachelor or Masters programs in Computer Engineering or a related field.
No, there is no upper age limit for a PhD, but a Junior Research Fellow (JRF) must be at least 28 years old.