A PhD program in humanities is a full-time doctoral program in the humanities that lasts 3–5 years. The Humanities is a branch of study that encompasses a broader view of societal issues. It is a more specific way of thinking about the public at large and culture at large. Students would be taught in depth about the development of concepts and ideas, the executive functions of a society, behavioral patterns and challenges, human interactions and relationships, and so on as part of this program. This degree provides in-depth instruction on humanity, cultural evolution, and historical facts throughout the centuries.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD Humanities: An Overview
|Level of Course||Post-Doctoral|
|Also referred to as||Post-Doctoral in Humanities|
|Duration of Course||3-5 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester|
|Eligibility Criteria||55% in masters|
|Process of Admission||Entrance exam based|
|Fee for Course||From 2,00,000 to 12,00,000|
|Top Recruitment Areas||Consultancy, academic institutions, government, etc|
|Position of Job||Learning consultant, secondary teacher, researcher, financial assistant, policy advisor, etc.|
PhD in Humanities Eligibility
The following are the minimum requirements for admission to the PhD in Humanities program:
- Admission is available to those who have completed their Master’s degree in Humanities or hold an M.Phil. with an average of 60 percent or higher in the General Category and 55 percent or higher in the SC/ST Category.
- A prerequisite for admission to this PhD program is passing the UGC entrance exam.
- Candidates must pass the college or institution’s interview after passing the entrance examinations.
- It is necessary to have a minimum of four years of professional work experience.
PhD Humanities Syllabus
The table below summarizes the subject areas that you will study during this course. Depending on the colleges, the subjects may differ slightly. These are the main topics of study on which one should expect to be lectured.
|First Semester||Second Semester|
|Social science research methods Current Philosophical Analysis Trends Logic: Formal as well as Philosophical||Statistical techniques In literary research, practice and theory are both important. Major Thinkers and a Philosophical Point of View|
|Third Semester||Fourth Semester|
|Advanced Economic Theory A Survey of Modernity||Advanced Psychological Theory Twentieth-Century Critical Theory|
|Fifth Semester||Sixth Semester|
|Advanced Theory of Society Research Methods in Economics||Theory of Knowledge Applied Econometrics|
PhD in Humanities Admission Process
The admissions process for PhD Humanities is typically entrance-based, with a few colleges conducting rounds of personal interviews as well.
- Although most universities use an entrance exam-based admissions system, a few colleges also use a merit-based admissions system. The exam will evaluate the candidate’s general aptitude as well as their critical-thinking abilities.
- Important dates are usually posted on college websites well in advance.
- Most academic institutions have an online registration system that allows you to apply using the prescribed link once it has been opened.
- The entrance exam is used to process the application.
- Once the application has been processed, colleges that have an entrance examination for the course will release the admit card.
PhD Humanities: Preparation Plan
The pointers below could be used as a guide to assist you in preparing for your entrance exams. These are some pointers to help you prepare for your exam. For more information, kindly visit the official websites of the colleges to which you wish to apply.
- The exams are almost always online, but there are a few that are paper-based.
- The most common format is for objective-type questions to be asked.
- In most cases, the paper will analyse your general knowledge, abilities, and aptitude.
- Improve your numerical and aptitude skills.If crash courses for entrance exams are available in your area, take advantage of them.
- Every day, set aside at least four hours for studying.
- While studying, take notes. These can be useful for last-minute revisions.
- Concentrate on your areas of weakness and give them more time.
- More emphasis should be placed on aptitude and critical reasoning.
- Pay attention to numerical-based questions as well.
- Focus on revising the study material you had for your master’s program. Also, gather study materials that are relevant to the exam.
- It is a good idea to solve previous year’s question papers if they are available, as this will boost your confidence. Please remember that there is negative marking when solving previous papers, so proceed with caution.
- Keep a close eye on the colleges you’re interested in.
- Find out when the application procedure starts.
- Fill out the application form as soon as possible so that you have enough time to fill it out and obtain the required documents.
- Ensure the form has been completely filled out.
- Make sure you have all of the necessary documents and that they are up-to-date.
- Join crash courses and continue to revise.
- Make contact with former students of the colleges you’re interested in to learn more about the courses and admissions process.
- If in doubt, contact management for the most up-to-date information.
PhD Humanities: Important Documents Required
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
- Research Proposal
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- A passing certificate of the last qualifying degree examination
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
PhD in Humanities Top Institutes
The Top Institutes that offer a PhD in humanities are listed below along with their locations, average annual fees, and average annual payment:
|Institute||Place||Average Fees INR (Annually)||Average Salary INR|
|National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)||Kolkata||25,000||3,50,000|
|Centurion University of Technology and Management||Bhubaneswar||60,000||4,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology||Thiruvananthapuram||16,300||3,30,000|
|National Institute of Technology||Shillong||23,250||3,00,000|
PhD Humanities: Some Important Entrance Exams
For the majority of colleges, there are only a few national-level entrance exams. The universities that do have entrance tests, which is a general aptitude test, are listed below.
IIT-JAM: An entrance exam held by IIT Bombay for PhD admissions to the university. There are both subjective as well as objective questions in this 100-point paper.
NET: A national entrance examination for admission to UGC-accredited universities. Individuals will be evaluated on the subject you selected.
GATE is a national entrance exam for admission to IITs, NITs, IIITs, and CFTIs. The paper is worth 100 points and will include questions that will assess your general aptitude as well as your numerical abilities.
MET: A national entrance exam for PGDM programs across India. Your English comprehension, general aptitude, mathematical skills, and critical reasoning will all be evaluated in this test.
PhD Humanities Important Books Recommended
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Putting the Humanities PhD to Work: Thriving in and Beyond the Classroom||Katina L. Rogers|
|How to get a Ph. D||Estelle Phillips|
|Working for a Doctorate: A Guide for the Humanities and Social Sciences||Norman Graves, Ved P. Varma|
|How to Publish Your PhD||Sarah Caro|
|Civil Society and Democratization in India: Institutions, Ideologies and Interests||Sarbeswar Sahoo|
PhD Humanities: A Comparison among Institutes
In the table below, we’ve compared the best colleges in India that offer PhD programs in the humanities. For the comparison, three colleges were chosen. This is done to give a more comprehensive picture as well as to demonstrate the similarities and differences among the colleges:
|Basis for Comparison||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||Vel- Tech Dr. Rr & Dr. Sr university, Chennai||BITS Pilani, Rajasthan|
|Highlight||It is one of the top colleges in India.||It is a deemed private institution that focuses on science, technology, and interdisciplines.||A private college that offers courses in a variety of subjects.|
|Eligibility Criteria||55% – 60% aggregate of any master’s programme||55% – 60% aggregate of any master’s programme||55% – 60% aggregate of any master’s programme|
|Process of Admission||Entrance||Entrance||Merit|
|Average Annual Fees||73,000||Not provided||1,15,000|
|20.3 lakhs||The college offers a stipend of 15,000-32,000 per month||9.8 lakhs|
PhD in Humanities: Important Areas of Employment
According to the job prospectus, students who complete this degree program could work as learning consultants, financial analysts, government employees, researchers, and so on. These are just a few career options; there are many more options available based on interests.
|Position of Job||Description of Job||Average Annual Salary INR|
|Financial Analyst||Analysing and identifying the financial risks of a company||4,10,000|
|Higher Education Administrator||In charge of the overall functioning of a college or a university.||14,30,000|
|Industry Researcher||Conduct industry-specific research in order to improve on existing designs.||9,70,000|
|Learning Consultant||Engaging with students and assisting them in selecting a college or school that matches their interests.||7,00,000|
PhD in Humanities: Benefits and Scope
There are many reasons to pursue a PhD in humanities, the most important of which is that it will get you valuable process skills that will keep you in demand in the job market. The following are some of the other reasons:
- A candidate with a degree in this course is on their way to fulfilling their calling to work for human well-being.
- It will also earn you respect in society because you will be seen as someone who understands human-society interactions.
- Students can continue their education by pursuing another PhD or enrolling in certificate programs.
- This degree also opens up opportunities in a wide range of fields.
- This course teaches students a wide range of skills, including the ability to analyse data, collect information, and so on.
- It will also allow you to stay ahead of the competition because you will be able to predict human behavior.
- You can work as a consultant after completing this course because your critical thinking skills will have improved.
- Competitors who have grasped the potential of various aspects of the human persona and the various perspectives associated with them are able to pursue research in their respective fields of interest. They improve their overall understanding of religions, writing, craftsmanship, and culture, thereby making it easier for them to build a career in those fields.
- Applicants who successfully complete the program have the opportunity to work in private and public partnerships, national and state level planning sheets, and formative research organizations, as well as become writing and humanities educators in various rumored schools and colleges. They could work as researchers, foreign language experts, literature reviewers, or public relations managers.
No, the course is not expensive; you will spend a maximum of 3 lakhs per year on it.
No, this is not a dying field because there is always research and advancement going on.
It varies from one college to the next.
Any field of study, including the arts, sciences, commerce, and so on.
It depends on the student and the research topic they have chosen.
The course lasts between three and five years.
The typical fees would be in the range of 7,000 to 4,00,000.
It’s a good choice because there’s a demand for people who could recognize human behavioral patterns and act on them in ways that benefit humanity.
Yes, especially if you’re interested in the humanities and want to make a difference in people’s lives and society
This course is open to people who have completed their master’s degree in Science, Arts, Commerce, Technology, or a related field with a minimum of 55 percent in aggregate. A student who has earned a PhD in Humanities can pursue a career in a variety of fields.