A PhD in Humanities and Social Science is a three-year doctoral program in the humanities and social sciences. The degree focuses on human society’s complex social relationships, which may include social and health services, regional development, economics, and communication studies. One of several major academic disciplines is the humanities and social sciences. Students learn how history, art, music, religion, and culture have influenced the modern world in this field of study. Humanities are concerned with art, music, and literature, whereas social sciences are concerned with anthropology, archaeology, and politics. That is why, despite their differences, the two streams are frequently studied together because they complement each other.
A career in the humanities and social sciences isn’t traditionally thought to be a great way to advance your career. This is due to the widespread misconception that this stream is only for individuals who are academically challenged. This is far from the case, as Humanities & Social Sciences students have a plethora of career options available to them right after graduation. Students with a PhD in Humanities and Social Science have more job opportunities. There are numerous opportunities in the fields of public service, NGOs, finance, and as advisors to MNCs and other government companies.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD Humanities and Social Science: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctorate Level|
|Duration of Course||3 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester-type|
|Eligibility Criteria||Master’s degree in either stream of Arts/Technology/Engineering/Commerce/Science with 60% marks and above.|
|Process of Admission||Entrance-based or Merit-Based|
|Average Fee for Course||INR 15,000 to 3.85 Lacs|
|INR 6 to 8 Lacs Per annum|
|Top Hiring Firms||Public and Private Companies, NGOs, Research, etc.|
|Positions of Job||Researchers, Linguists, Market Analysts, Counselors, etc.|
PhD Humanities and Social Science Eligibility
The criteria for eligibility for PhD candidates in the humanities and social sciences are straightforward and vary by institute.
- Master’s or equivalent degree in Commerce, Economics, English Literature, Psychology, Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Management, Philosophy, or any other relevant field with a minimum of 55 percent.
- The applicant must either have a valid GATE score or have applied for/been accepted into the JRF/NET program.
- The maximum age limit should be no more than 28 years old for JRF.
- For admission, having a minimum of two years of professional experience is considered advantageous.
Syllabus for PhD Humanities and Social Science
The PhD in Humanities and Social Science program prepares students in a theoretical-practical manner, in which they are given a holistic approach and are required to work on developing a research thesis in one of the fields listed during the program’s final year under the supervision of experts.
The following is a list of the general curriculum adopted by most of the colleges and universities studied:
|Research Methodology||Micro-Level Planning: Principles, Methods, and Case Studies|
|Development Planning & Policies||Project/Assignment|
|Socio-Psychological Perspectives on Development and Change||Dissertation|
PhD Humanities and Social Science Admission Procedure
Students are admitted to colleges that offer PhD programs in Humanities and Social Science based on their performance in an entrance examination administered by the admissions authorities, by further admission rounds.
- Before applying for a PhD in Humanities and Social Science, you must first register with the respective college’s admission portal.
- After you’ve registered, use your credentials to log in to the device.
- When registering for the Admission portal, make sure you use the completely accurate First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name, as well as your email address and date of birth.
- Read the information prospectus thoroughly before beginning to fill out the form.
- After submitting the application, candidates must pay the fees online.
- At the time of submission, candidates must upload all necessary documentation in the required format.
- The fee must be paid in order for the admission to be granted; otherwise, the admission would be revoked.
- Candidates must pass the GATE, NET, MET, ICSR, and other entrance exams to be considered for admission to the PhD program.
- Following that, the faculty of the respective colleges will conduct a Direct Interview.
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Focus Areas
- Doctoral programs provide enhanced expert knowledge and research opportunities in a highly specialized field of study. Humanities and Social Sciences is a field of study that teaches students about how literature, music, religion, history, and culture have influenced the modern world.
- Humanities are concerned with art, music, and literature, while social science is concerned with psychology, anthropology, archaeology, and politics. That is why, despite the fact that the two streams are distinct, they are frequently studied together because they complement each other.
- By studying humanities and social sciences, a student will be able to think about and respond to current issues. These subjects require an in-depth understanding of the major historical, economic, political, geographical, and societal factors at play..
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Important Documents Required
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Documentary proof for date of birth
- Passing/Degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination
- Research Proposal *
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the University last attended)
- Character certificate (from the head of the Institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree.
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Top Institutes
|Gujarat University, Gujarat||INR 14,860|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, Rajasthan||INR 45,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||–|
|Bhagwant University, Rajasthan||NA|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Rajasthan||INR 1,10,125|
|Himalayan University, Arunachal Pradesh||INR 3,85,000|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU), Punjab||INR 3,16,000|
|Dr C.V. Raman University, Bilaspur||NA|
PhD Humanities and Social Science & PhD Humanities: Key Differences
|Course Name||PhD Humanities and Social Science||PhD Humanities|
|Also referred as||Doctorate of Philosophy PhD in Humanities and Social Science||Doctorate of Philosophy PhD in Humanities|
|Level of Course||Doctorate||Doctorate|
|Duration of Course||3 years||3-5 years|
|Highlight||PhD in Humanities and Social Science is a three-year doctoral program. It focuses on human society’s complex social relationships and can include social and health services, communication studies,regional development, and economics.||PhD is a three-year post-doctoral degree program that focuses on human thought. It’s an advanced course that focuses on human nature and relationships. Graduates are taught in depth about the evolution of ideas and concepts, society’s functioning, behavioral patterns and challenges, human interactions and relationships, and so on.|
|Eligibility Criteria||60% in postgraduation from related subject||55% in postgraduation from related subject|
|Process of Admission||Entrance-exam based||Entrance-exam based|
|INR 15,000 to 3.85 Lacs||INR 2,00,000 to 12,00,000|
|Positions of Job||Market Analysts, Researchers, Linguist, Counsellors, etc.||Learning consultant, secondary teacher, researcher, financial assistant, policy advisor, etc.|
|Top Employment Areas||NGOs, Public and Private Companies, Research, etc.||Consultancy, academic institutions, government, etc|
|INR 2 to 9 Lacs per annum||INR 4 lacs|
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Preparation Plan
If you intend to enroll in a PhD program, do your research on eligibility and PhD entrance requirements as soon as possible. Here are a few pointers to assist you in getting into a good college:
- One of the most important things that academic institutions will look for is a satisfactory academic record, which is extremely important if you are trying to apply for a PhD scholarship.
- Most universities will require three letters of recommendation from you. Individuals who oversaw you at work or in a community service/volunteering environment are also eligible to write letters of recommendation.
- The research proposal is likely one of the most important aspects of the application process. Seek advice and feedback from your academic peers, tutors, or even a potential boss.
- Explain clearly, your education, research experience, work experience, scholarly journal publications, awards and distinctions received, and any other extracurricular activities in your resume.
- Finally, even if it appears challenging at first, the application process for any PhD program is simply a series of steps that you must follow carefully and patiently. Be inspired and hopeful!
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Important Skills Required
Candidates interested in a career in the Humanities and Social Sciences should have the following characteristics and skills:
|Humanities & Social Sciences: Necessary Skills|
|Communication skills||Presentation skills|
|Research skills||Analytical skills|
|Critical thinking||Ability to work in a team|
|Ability to work independently||Competency skills|
|Organisation skills||Interpersonal skills|
|Leadership skills||Decision-making skills|
PhD Humanities and Social Science: A Comparison among Institutes
|Basis of Comparison||IIT||BITS|
|Aim||With the help of UNESCO, IIT Bombay became the very first Indian institution of higher education to lay its foundation stone. In the fields of technology, engineering, research, management, and design, over 70 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral courses are offered.||The Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, or BITS Pilani, was founded in 1964 by an act of the Indian Parliament. Engineering, technology, management, science, humanities, and technology are among the fields where it offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs|
|Ranking by NIRF 2020||3rd||27th|
|INR 1,50,000||INR 1,10,125|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8 to 9 Lacs||INR 6 to 7 Lacs|
|Top Hiring Companies||ACCENTURE, Citigroup, Adobe, 3M, Amazon.com, Barclays Bank, Cadbury, Eaton Ltd, Infosys, etc.||Capital IQ, HDFC, eBay, Capgemini, Barclays, IBM, Aditya Birla Corp, Facebook, Capital IQ etc.|
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Important Job Positions
A PhD in Humanities and Social Science is ideal if you are passionate about learning about history, music, literature, arts, culture and politics. A student will be welcomed in the private, public, or government sector after completing a PhD in humanities and social sciences. A student may also engage in entrepreneurship activities if they are interested. They could also become a professor at a prestigious university or college if they really want to change the lives of everyone else by being a light in the darkness.
So, here are some career options after earning a bachelor’s degree in humanities and social sciences:
|Roles of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary|
|Researchers||Researchers are in charge of gathering, organizing, and analyzing opinions and data in order to solve problems, investigate problems, and forecast patterns.||INR 3 to 5 Lacs|
|Lecturer||Lecturers are professionals who plan, produce, and deliver content using a variety of methods and platforms. They create course materials, lesson plans, and curriculum design, as well as conduct research and fieldwork and interact with students.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
|NGO Executive||All operations must be significant to the organization’s mission and vision, according to the executive.||INR 3 to 5 Lacs|
|Linguist||Linguists study language and the factors that influence how it is used. They can translate, analyse, study, and interpret language in a variety of industries.||INR 2 to 5 Lacs|
|Counsellor||Counselors work in a confidential setting with people who are experiencing personal difficulties, assisting them in resolving their problems and making necessary changes in their lives.||INR 2 to 9 Lacs|
|Author||Writing original stories for books, plays, television scripts, and movies is one of an author’s responsibilities. Authors also write journals, build story elements, and rewrite and update work by other authors.||INR 2 to 7 Lacs|
|Orator||An orator is in charge of conducting pre-speech research, writing and outlining speech scripts, and delivering high-quality speeches to audiences across the state.||INR 3 to 5 Lacs|
- Archaeologist: An archaeologist is a scientist who studies human origins, development, and behavior. The expert looks at everything from prehistoric tools to microscopic organisms.
- After obtaining the required qualifications, applicants interested in the field of academics can choose to work as a teacher in a school or as a professor in a college or university.
- Cultural Anthropologist: A cultural anthropologist, also known as a socio-cultural anthropologist, studies society’s art, traditions, customs, and languages to learn how humanity has evolved over time.
- An editor is a professional who is in charge of a publication’s overall style and content. An editor’s job is primarily managerial, and it entails reviewing story ideas, determining what content is most likely to please readers, and making recommendations to improve the content.
- Geologist: A geologist surveys the land and creates safe building plans by studying earth processes such as earthquakes, floods, landslides, and volcanic eruptions. A geologist also employs his or her geological knowledge, as well as physics and math, in the search for minerals, oil, gas, and underground water.
- Historian: A historian studies, analyzes, and interprets the past using a variety of sources, including newspapers, government records, photographs, films, interviews, letters, unpublished manuscripts, and so on.
- Linguistic Anthropologist: A linguistic anthropologist focuses on the nature of various languages and how they are used in everyday life. An anthropologist studies the evolution of languages, how they change over time, and how they influence human behavior.
- A curator is a professional who assembles, catalogs, manages, and displays cultural and art collections in museums and galleries.
- A park interpreter is responsible for conducting research, developing, and implementing educational programs for visitors to national, provincial, and municipal parks and conservation areas. The interpreter educates people in a variety of ways, including theater presentations and nature walks.
- Oceanographer: An oceanographer’s primary responsibility is to study the ocean. The specific duties of an oceanographer, on the other hand, vary depending on his or her specialization. A biological oceanographer, for example, studies plants, animals, and microbes. A physical oceanographer, on the other hand, studies ocean characteristics such as temperature, waves, and tides.
- A statistician is a professional who collects numerical data and then displays it, assisting businesses in making sense of the data, identifying trends, and making predictions.
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Top Employment Firms
PhD Humanities and Social Science: Benefits and Scope
The following are the top advantages of pursuing a PhD in the humanities and social sciences:
- Humanities and social sciences can help you hone your artistic skills. This niche will help you develop innovative ideas and will help you advance in your career.
- A student of humanities and social sciences understands the impact of science, technology, arts, music, history, literature, and philosophy on society and civilization better than anyone else.
- If you want to move abroad or work there, studying the humanities and social sciences will be extremely beneficial.
- Students who study humanities and social sciences will learn the value of empathy.
- Humanities and social science studies enhance your social abilities.
- Students will gain practical experience while learning the fundamental concepts of social sciences.
- The range of humanities and social science courses available in India and abroad is vast. One of the best things about these courses is that they don’t require any specialization or prior technical experience, so they’re suitable for anyone.
- A doctoral candidate will have the chance to work with some of our generation’s most brilliant minds who have dedicated their lives to learning about the arts, music, literature, history, and philosophy.
- As a result, you can be confident that getting a degree in humanities and social sciences will lead to a rewarding career.
Mathematicians, economists, physicists, and political scientists, for example, have a high earning potential. These occupations, on the other hand, necessitate a graduate degree for entry.
Many social science job profiles have strong career perspectives. If you’re trying to build a foundation in a variety of disciplines, a humanities and social sciences degree should suffice.
The entrance exam is not required for all colleges. Some prestigious institutions, such as IITs and NITs, use entrance exam grades to determine admission.
A market analyst analyses data using statistical techniques and software to construct reports after analyzing the market position, collecting data, consumer demographics, preferences, needs, and buying habits.
Your proposal should define the context of your study, your research questions, your goals, your methods (specifically, if you’re planning to use specialized tools, archives, etc.) and a preliminary bibliography that lists the sources and resources you plan to use.
Joining professional organisations is another way to broaden your knowledge and stay current in your field. While not every Humanities and Social Sciences professional has a notable organisation representing their career, those who are employed can join organisations in fields such as economics, political science, and education.
Economics, English Literature, Linguistics, Management, and Philosophy are among the areas of research available in the Humanities and Social Science stream:
The application forms are usually made available in May or June.
PhD holders will be paid more than master’s and bachelor’s degree holders because a PhD student’s expertise is far greater than that of others in this field. The salary ranges among INR 6-8 lacs per annum after obtaining a doctoral degree.
Humanities is concerned with subjects such as law, linguistics, languages, and economics, whereas Social Sciences is concerned with subjects such as philosophy, anthropology, history, political science, and others.
There are more theoretical aspects in Humanities and Social Science subjects that must be learned and analysed. Simply put, higher education exists so that students can engage in research though the programs such as M.Phil and PhD
Arts, Literature, Religion, Philosophy, and History are the five areas of humanities study.
This course is open to students who completed their master’s degree in Science, Arts, Commerce, Technology, or a related field with a minimum of 55 percent in aggregate. Admission to colleges is based on both entrance exams and merit.