A PhD in English is a course that leads to a doctorate degree in English. It is highly subjective and involves extensive research. Researchers who pursue a PhD in English study various methods of text analysis and probe the depths of literature. Students receive instructional training.
The field of journalism and media is rapidly expanding, and PhD English scholars are in high demand. Starting a career as an editorial assistant for a large publishing house is a good place to start. After completing a PhD English course, becoming an advertising firm copywriter or a public relations officer are among the best places to start a career. The University Grants Commission has created a comprehensive program leading to a PhD in English. For M.Phil – PhD English integrated programs, there is a common entrance exam.
Table of Contents
PhD English: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Also Referred As||Doctor in Philosophy in English|
|Duration of Course||3 to 5 years|
|Type of Examination||Annual, Subjective|
|Eligibility Criteria||M.A. in English or M.Phil. in English|
|Process of Admission||Based on direct interview of short-listed candidates.|
|Fee for Course||INR 2000 to 1.25 Lakh per year|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4 to 8 lakhs|
|Top Hiring Firms||IBM, TATA Consultancy, Adobe, HCL, KPMG companies, HP, Indiatimes, Hindustan Times, Zee News, CNN, IBN7, Lenovo, Delhi University|
|Positions of Job||Advertising agency copywriter, Public relations Officer, Editorial Assistant for big publishing houses, Author|
PhD English Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate must have completed ten years of continuous study (10+2+3+2).
- The minimum requirement for admission to the PhD English program is that you have a Masters degree in English.
- A master’s degree can be either a Master of Arts in English (M.A. English) or a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil). (M.Phil.).
- Students who have completed the courses or are nearing the end of their studies are eligible to apply for the PhD English admission process.
- Some universities may require a few years of practical or work experience before admitting students to PhD programs.
PhD English: Focus Areas-
- The PhD English course is the highest level of qualification available in the English language domain.
- The PhD English course assists students in obtaining high-level positions in which English is the primary language. Candidates who complete this course are qualified for editorial positions, authorship, copy editing, and higher-level positions requiring creativity.
- Students who pursue other courses related to film criticism, motion picture editing, and other related fields have a better chance of landing higher-paying jobs in the industry.
- Although the start of the career may be similar to that of students starting their careers after receiving their bachelor’s or master’s degrees, the career’s vertical growth is faster.
- Some of the roles that are prominent after a PhD English course include content editing, authorship, motion picture editing, and working as senior editors and department heads in English.
PhD English Admission Procedure
The completion of a Masters level course is the primary requirement for admission to PhD English programs. It could be an M.A. in Arts or an M.Phil. in Science. Students who are taking their final exams could also apply for the entrance exam. Students in this situation should prepare for entrance exams such as GATE, CSIR-NET, or State Level Eligibility Tests (SLETs). It’s important to keep in mind that these exams’ results are a requirement for admission.
It’s also worth noting that SLET scores are only relevant for the state. GATE and CSIR-NET examination scores, on the other hand, are recognized by all Indian universities. Only some Indian universities accept GATE scores, whereas all Indian universities accept CSIR-NET scores.
To apply for the course, follow these steps:
- Complete a Master of Arts in English language or a Master of Philosophy in English language.
- If the university and college require it, take the entrance examination for the PhD program.
- If your university or college requires it, you must pass the All India National Eligibility Test for Lectureship.
- Fill out the admissions forms provided by the university of your choice.
- Documents, mark sheets, and certificates should all be attached.
- If there is a reservation quota, fill in the details.
- Attend the university’s admission rounds according to the university’s instructions.
PhD English: Preparation Plan
- Multiple Choice Questions – MCQ – are commonly used in entrance exams for PhD English courses. The CSIR-NET consists of 120 questions divided into three sections. The exam has a total score of 200 points available. It also has a negative marking. The exam is offered in both English and Hindi.
- The multiple-choice questions are based on a variety of topics relevant to the stream. Because the exams have negative marking, a good grade can only be earned by accurately answering the questions.
- Points to keep in mind while taking the exams: The examination questions are not straightforward. They can be tricky to work with. As a result, it is critical to read the question twice or three times before responding. It is critical to maintain current knowledge of the topic. A large number of the questions are based on current, up-to-date knowledge and information.
- Confirm the examination dates and any other concerns. It is critical to keep track of admit cards, admission rounds, entrance exam dates, and reporting times.
- And, most importantly, remain calm on exam day. Keep your cool and don’t get too worked up about the examination.
- Maintain a strong academic record while pursuing an M.A. in English or an M.Phil. in English.
- Exams such as GATE, NET, and university-specific exams should be taken.
- Keep your knowledge of general subjects, English prose, and poetry up to date.
- Keep an eye on the previous year’s entrance examination cutoff marks.
- During the final year of your master’s program, set aside a year to prepare for PhD English exams.
- Try giving mock tests using papers from the internet or your college library.
- Make a list of the colleges to which you want to apply. Keep in mind that not all states have top-tier PhD English program. As a result, be ready to relocate.
- Keep your future goal in mind. After completing a PhD in English from various colleges, you will have a wide range of options.
- Because you’ll be studying PhD English for up to 5 years, keep an eye out for side courses that could help you expand your career options.
PhD English: Important Entrance Exams
A deserving student can gain admission to a PhD English program in a variety of ways.
- The Graduate Aptitude Test (GATE) is a national exam. It is held once a year. The exam is taken entirely online. The examination will last three hours. The exam consists of 65 questions worth a total of 100 points. The exam score is valid for three years. Some universities accept it as a valid score for admission to PhD in English programs. Candidates who have taken the same exam will not be required to take the university entrance exam, according to Christ University.
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research National Entrance Test (CSIR-NET) provides access to Junior Research Fellowships or Lectureships, as well as Assistant Professorships. Admissions to PhD programs in English are handled similarly.
PhD English: Important Documents Required
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the University last attended)
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Character certificate (from the head of the Institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree.
- Research Proposal
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Passing/Degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination
- Documentary proof for date of birth
NOTE: Students should be aware that if the above documents are not attached to their application, their implementation will not be taken into account for admission.
PhD English: Top Institutes
The table below contains a list of the Top Institutes where one would apply for a PhD in English. Fees, admissions, accreditation, and location information for these colleges can be found here::
|Name of the Institute||Place||Body of Accreditation||Average Annual Fees|
|Loyola College||Chennai||NAAC||INR 6,000|
|Christ University College||Bangalore||NAAC, UGC||INR 35,000|
|Chandigarh University College||Chandigarh||AICTE, AIU, NAAC, UGC||INR 85,000|
|Presidency College||Chennai||AICTE, NAAC||INR 5,000|
|NIMS University College||Jaipur||AICTE, AIU, BCI, PCI, UGC||INR 1,41,000|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||NAAC, UGC||INR 1,44,500|
|Presidency University College||Kolkata||NAAC, UGC||INR 14,500|
|Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT)||Bhubaneshwar||AICTE, BCI,DCI, INC, MCI||INR 75,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Kanpur||UGC||INR 64,050|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Bhuvaneshwar||AICTE||INR 31,568|
PhD English Syllabus
Deep introspection and societal knowledge and understanding are key components of a PhD English course. While the names of the subjects may differ from one university to the next, a PhD is a degree that is awarded to those who have completed a master’s.
The PhD English course has a detailed syllabus, which can be found in the table below. The curriculum vitae is a detailed presentation. Individual academic institutions may add additional sections as needed.
|First Paper- Research Methodology (Theory)|
|Research: Nature and functions||Types of literary research|
|Error, evidence and truth||Textual study and the search for authoritative text|
|Problems of Authorship||Search for Origins|
|Literature review: necessity, methods and utilization||Research Design|
|Selecting and limiting the topic||Making Notes|
|Goals and theory development (Meaning – Importance – Types – Sources – Characteristics – Forms – Formulation Difficulties-Testing).||Data collection: process, sources, types and tools|
|Data is classified, tabulated, presented, and analysed.||Offering suggestions and recommendations|
|How to write a dissertation/ thesis?||What is a research paper? How to write a research paper?|
|Documentation Skills||Abbreviations from MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (sixth edition).|
|A scholar and a critic: Vocations||–|
|Preparing a Research Proposal in first term.||Preparing at least two Research Papers one in each term.|
|Learn how to conduct research using libraries and online resources. Students will visit the British Library, INFLIBNET, and at least 2 different university libraries as part of their research for a project.||–|
|Second Paper- English Language and Literature (Theory)|
|Part A Language||ELT: an introduction (History, Place, Position, Problems, Prospects and Future)|
|Language acquisition and language learning||Listening|
|Writing||Communicative Language Teaching|
|Computer aided language learning||English for academic purposes|
|English for specific purposes||Business English Communication: Business letter, Report Writing, E Communication|
|Basic concepts of Language Testing and assessment||Teaching Literature|
|Third Paper Translation: Theory|
|Part A Theory of Translation||Translation: An Introduction.|
|Nature, meaning and its function.||Principles of correspondence|
|Theories of Translation||Art of translation|
|Sorts, process, issues and impediments of interpretation||Time: tense, mood and aspect|
|Concepts and notions||Idiom: from one culture to another|
|Transference, free rendering and transcreation||Translation and transliteration|
|Machine Translation||Translating literary, religious and scientific texts|
|Indian Literature in English Translation||Translation Theory: An Indian Perspective|
|Part B: Books in Translation:||Patel, Pannalal: Endurance: A Droll Saga (Manvi Ni Bhavai) trans. Prof. V. Y. Kantak, Sahitya Akademi Publications.|
|Tagore, Rabindranath: Gitanjali, trans. William Radich, Penguin.||Beckett, Samuel: Waiting for Godot, Faber and Faber.|
|M.K. Gandhi: My Experiments with Truth (Satya na Prayogo), Navjivan Press, trans. Mahadevbhai Desai.||–|
|Interpretation of least 30 pages from English to L1 or the other way around.||Students will learn to use computers in translation.|
|At least two oral discourses must be translated from English to L1 and vice versa. The same will be done with an audio CD and a recording..||–|
|Fourth Paper : Dissertation|
|The research scholar would be expected to write a doctoral thesis on a topic that will be chosen in discussion with the faculty.||In consultation with the faculty, the research scholar can choose to translate a book of at least 100 pages from L1 to English or vice versa. The researcher will explain, prepare, and discuss issues, concerns, arrangements, and so on that arise while trying to decipher the work in progress.|
|Ghosh, Amitav: The Shadow Lines, Mariner Books, 2005||Literature Without Borders|
|Bhagat, Chetan: One Night at the Call Center, Rupa, 2005.||Shakespeare, William: Hamlet, Penguin.|
|Computer orientation||Use of Language Learning Software to improve LSRW.|
|Computer aided language learning and teaching.||–|
PhD English: A comparison between Institutes
A comparison of Loyola College and Chennai’s Presidency College can be found in the table below. They both offer PhD English courses.
Find out the difference between them in Important Aspects
|Basis of Comparison||Loyola College||Presidency College|
|Highlight||Loyola College was founded in 1925 and has had independent status since 1978. This college offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in the arts, sciences, and commerce.||In 1840, Presidency College was founded. It offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in the arts, sciences, and commerce.|
|Ranking by NIRF||06||05|
|Average Fees for Course||INR 6,000 per year||INR 5,000 per year|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,50,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Top Hiring Firms||Amazon, GenMedic, IBS, Stratagem Solutions||TCS, Infosys, Adobe|
PhD English and PhD English Literature: Key Differences
PhD English Literature is a specialized course offered by only a few Indian universities and colleges. The majority of universities offer PhD English.
Below table gives a comparison between both them both
|Basis of Comparison||PhD English||PhD English Literature|
|Also referred as||Doctor in Philosophy in English||Doctor in Philosophy in English Literature|
|Focus||All applications of the English language, such as literature, filmography, and broadcast media||English Literature only|
|Type of degree||Doctorate||Doctorate|
|Process of Admission||Based on entrance examinations and direct interviews||Direct interview of shortlisted candidates|
|Fee for Course||INR 2,000 to 5 lacs||INR 12,000 to 1,25,000|
|Average salary in the Beginning||INR 4 to 8 lacs per annum||INR 5 to 8 lacs per annum|
|Top Hiring Firms||IBM, TATA Consultancy, Adobe, KPMG companies, Delhi University, HP, Lenovo,HCL, Indiatimes, Hindustan Times, Zee News, CNN, IBN7||Penguin Random House, Big Entertainment, Hachette India, Balaji Motion Pictures, Adobe, Reliance|
PhD English: Important Book Recommendations
The following is the list of Indian Authors in English literature:
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Malgudi Days||R.K Narayan|
|Untouchable||Mulk Raj Anand|
|Train to Pakistan||Khushwant Singh|
|The Room on the Roof||Ruskin Bond|
PhD English: Suitable Candidates for the Course
- This course is best suited for students who are interested or desirous of learning English, literature, and related fields.
- If you need a PhD for a promotion in academia, a raise in salary, or a stable job in academia, this course is for you. Such applicants should enroll in government universities and part-time PhD programs.
PhD English: Books by International Authors
The following is the list of international Authors in English literature:
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|The Tragical Historie of Hamlet||William Shakespeare|
|Pride and Prejudice||Jane Austen|
|Songs of Innocence and of Experience||William Blake|
|David Copperfield||Charles Dickens|
PhD English: Important Areas of Employment
- Executive Assistant/Bilingual English/Other Languages
- Directorate of Film Festivals
- Translation Offices
- Publications Division
- Data Centres
- Tutor or Teacher
- Films Division
- Bureau of Outreach & Communication
- Central Board of Film Certification
- Coaching Centres
- Novelist & Writer
- Philosophical Journalist
- Publishing Houses
- News & Media
- Office of the Registrar of Newspapers for India
- Press Information Bureau
- Electronic Media Monitoring Center (EMMC)
- Colleges & Universities
The table below shows the various types of professions that research scholars with a PhD in English can obtain. It’s important to keep in mind at this point that a PhD graduate would begin at a nominal or even entry-level position. After a few years of experience does a candidate become qualified for higher positions. However, when particularly in comparison to Graduates and Postgraduates with Masters degrees, this occurs at a faster rate.
Given below is a table which shows few of the job profiles after completion of PhD English.
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary|
|Head of Department English||The English department’s Head of Department is in charge of the department’s teachers. They look well after department’s teachers and work to improve quality of teaching for the students.||INR 12,94,509|
|Movie Critic||A film critic evaluates the film’s quality. Films, print, and broadcast media could all be used for this.||INR 4,65,378|
|Content Writer||This is a popular job role on content-based websites. The demand for professionals in the field is increasing and becoming increasingly popular.||INR 5,00,849|
|Copy Editor||This is a popular job role in publishing houses. The appointee is responsible for proofreading and ensuring that all written materials are error-free.||INR 6,19,322|
|Technical Writer||Technical writers create and draft correspondence in the fields of programming, science, and literature.||INR 8,12,993|
PhD English: Benefits and Scope
PhD English has a promising future. Despite the fact that Hindi is the official language, English is used in almost each sector and domain. Working as a critic, writing books, and criticising novels and films are all current career options in India.
In today’s world, professional writers and licensed translators are in high demand in every industry.
- The highest level of English language education is a PhD. The course is structured in such a way that it establishes a common standard in English studies.
- The course covers historical English usage as well as an analysis of current English knowledge that is relevant to the country’s current social and economic goals.
- Pedagogical roles such as educator, content manager, technical writers, literary and motion picture critics are all included in the course.
- PhD English courses, on the other hand, create a unique approach to academic learning.
- This course requires students to enroll for thesis work. In the use of English, there is a lot of research and development, as well as references to past works in English prose and poetry.
- This degree program prepares students for a variety of English-related jobs.
- A doctorate degree allows you to keep up with the broadening frontiers of knowledge and offers research training that is relevant to the country’s current social and economic goals.
- It helps in learning how to write an effective research report and how to present data graphically.
Whereas each university has its own admissions policies, they are all governed by the UGC. The University of Georgia has established requirements for master’s degrees as well as an entrance exam. Some universities use the NET score to determine PhD admissions in English. The curriculum for the course is set for a duration of 3 to 5 years. This would include the academic portion, the thesis research and development portion, and the teaching portion.
A PhD student earns the title of Doctor of Philosophy. A PhD scholar is regarded as the most knowledgeable person in the English language. Jobs with publishing houses and colleges are available in India. Jobs outside of India have more opportunities. A PhD is the highest level of education that can be awarded to successful students.
A critic is someone who is in charge of evaluating and rating films. Print and broadcast media both require critics. When it comes to film studies, news coverage, and cinematography, PhD English holders with a four-year certification could work in particular roles with high pay scales.
After completing a PhD in English, you will have a wide range of options. To connect with people, career opportunities in the fields of literature writing, instructing, authorship, and public relations officers open up.
If the definition of worth is a qualification, then a PhD is the highest level of study in the English language. If the value being sought is in career options, the meaning may be different. A research scholar may begin as an editor’s assistant or as an information officer. Graduate students would now be eligible for these positions, and the salaries would likely be comparable to those of a graduate student.
PhD English candidates might have a lot of options. Despite the fact that everyone learns English, only a few works are written in the language. However, PhD English language scholars would have a lot of opportunities in English-speaking countries. When we talk about international opportunities, we mean going overseas to work for a foreign corporation, but it could also mean working for a foreign company from within India.
India is a multilingual nation, with Hindi as its official language. The importance of language education cannot be overstated. A graduate student with a B.A. degree can work in a variety of capacities. They could work in public relations or even teach in elementary schools. Obtaining an M.A. or M.Phil. opens up career opportunities at the secondary and professional levels. When a student pursues a PhD, numerous opportunities for research, development, and growth of the language become available. As a result, a PhD isn’t always useful in government jobs. Masters and PhD holders earn almost the same amount of money. However, if the PhD student intends to work in an English-speaking country, it will undoubtedly be worthwhile.
In India, a PhD can only be pursued after completing a Master’s degree in a relevant field. As a result, a master’s degree in English literature is required.