A PhD is a doctorate degree that emphasizes academic and research work. A national or university-level entrance exam is used to determine PhD admissions. A PhD program typically lasts three years, with candidates having five to six years to complete the program. However, the length of the course varies by institute. To be eligible for a PhD program, applicants must have completed a master’s degree.
A student must complete course work, a thorough examination, research work, and a dissertation to earn a doctoral degree. In addition, the PhD’s primary goal is to train the next generation of researchers and scientists for the academic society.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
An Overview of Doctor of Philosophy
|Course Name||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Course Duration||4-6 Years|
|Requirement for Course Completion||coursework, presentation, submission of progress reports, defence of thesis|
|Admission Procedure||Direct Admission/entrance exams|
|Courses offered for a PhD||PhD computer science, Phd in Psychology, PhD in History, PhD in Physics,PhD in Business Administration, PhD in engineering, Phd in Economics, PhD in Nursing|
|Online PhD Courses||IISc Bangalore, Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University Hyderabad, IGNOU, Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University|
|PhD Programs that are fully funded||Students need to clear UGC NET exam to get funded by the government|
|Top Institutes||IITs, IISc, Jadavpur University, Delhi University, JNU|
PhD Eligibility Criteria
- Only those candidates who have completed their master’s degree in a similar course/field/stream to the one in which they wish to pursue a PhD are eligible to apply for a PhD program.
- Some colleges also require candidates to have completed an M.Phil before enrolling in a PhD program.
- Aside from that, many colleges state that candidates who have passed the UGC NET meet the eligibility requirements for their PhD programs.
- Candidates interested in pursuing a PhD in Engineering must have a valid GATE score.
PhD Admission Procedure
Aspirants must follow the steps outlined below in order to gain admission to the educational institute’s PhD or research programs:
- Step 1: Visit the educational institute’s official website to learn more about the PhD programs it offers and to choose the area of research that the candidate wishes to pursue.
- Step 2: Candidates should look for admission advertisements in newspapers or go to the university’s official website to fill out an application form for admission to the course of their choice. Typically, admission notifications are sent out 4-5 months prior to the start of the course cycle.
- Step 3: Following that, candidates must complete and submit their PhD application forms according to the educational institute’s schedule. In order to be considered for PhD admissions, applicants must pay the application fee on time and submit all required documents with their application form.
- Step 4: Candidates may also be required to submit a research proposal along with their application form by some educational institutions. The application form, along with the research proposal, is submitted to the educational institute’s Research Unit, which conducts the application review.
- Step 5: Following the completion of the PhD course application form, most educational institutes shortlist the names of candidates who will be required to take the entrance exam and other admission rounds in order to be considered for admission to their PhD programs.
- Step 6: Candidates who are accepted into PhD programs after passing the admission rounds are assigned supervisors/guides to help them with their research.
Suitable candidates for a PhD program
- A Doctor of Philosophy is an excellent choice for students who want to pursue a career in academia or research.
- This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to broaden one’s horizons on a subject that one enjoys. It is a source of immense pride and respect for the person who wishes to pursue a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
- To determine whether you are capable of completing a Doctor of Philosophy, you should have a serious discussion with your lecturers and former Doctor of Philosophy students who can better guide you.
- Students should look into various Doctor of Philosophy programs to get a sense of what PhD degrees entail. Only after students have grasped the entire structure should they decide to pursue a Doctor of Philosophy.
PhD: Important Skills Required
Any aspirant who wishes to pursue a PhD in a subject or field of their choice must have a strong interest in and passion for the subject. A PhD requires aspirants to study a topic in depth, so candidates must have the necessary skill set and dedication, as well as be extremely hardworking. Aside from these abilities, candidates should be capable of conducting research and collaborating on the results of their own research.
A PhD also requires aspirants to be quick and good at presenting their ideas and findings, so candidates must be comfortable with written communication and have strong writing skills.
The following are some important skills to have if you want to pursue a PhD:
|Inquisitive||Good at research|
|Good writing capacity||Organised|
Types of PhD programs
There are three types of PhD programs: full-time, part-time, and online.
A Full-time PhD Program
A full-time PhD program is similar to a traditional Doctor of Philosophy program. These PhD programs take between 4-6 years to complete. Students devote the majority of their attention and concentration to Doctor of Philosophy subjects.
In comparison to other types of PhD degrees, the cost of a full-time Doctor of Philosophy program is the highest. Full-time PhD students fall into one of three categories. Government/Semi-Government Fellowship Recipients, Institute Research Scholars with Teaching Assistance, and Self-funded PhD Candidates.
A Part-time PhD Program
PhD programs can be completed part-time in some cases. Part-time PhDs are typically awarded to candidates who work in reputable research organizations, academic institutes, and industries, preferably in close proximity to the campus.
Part-time doctoral students are required to complete the same number of academic credits and other criteria as full-time students, so the program takes 7-8 years to complete.
An Online PhD Program
PhD programs offered online are currently a very popular academic course. Thousands of people have completed their Doctor of Philosophy online because they were unable to complete their degree in person. The primary goal of online PhD programs is to provide postgraduate students and working professionals with higher education.
PhD Programs in Different Streams
|PhD Chemistry||PhD Physics|
|PhD Mathematics||PhD Biotechnology|
|PhD Zoology||PhD Botany|
|PhD Computer Science||PhD Microbiology|
|PhD Biochemistry||PhD Environmental Science|
|PhD Geology||PhD Home Science|
|PhD Life Science||PhD Humanities|
|PhD electronics||PhD Anthropology|
|PhD Yoga||PhD Applied Chemistry|
|PhD Applied Mathematics||PhD animal Nutrition|
|PhD English||PhD Economics|
|PhD History||PhD Hindi|
|PhD Sociology||PhD Political science|
|PhD Psychology||PhD Geography|
|PhD Tamil||PhD Sanskrit|
|PhD Library and Information Science||PhD Social Work|
|PhD Philosophy||PhD Humanities and social Science|
|PhD Music||PhD Urdu|
|PhD Public Administration||PhD Social Sciences|
|PhD in Arts||PhD in fine Arts|
The Medical Stream
|MD Biochemistry||MD Forensic Medicine|
|MD anesthesiology||MD Pulmonary Medicine|
|PhD Physiology||MD Skin and VD|
|PhD Pathology||MD TB and Chest|
|MD Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation||PhD Medicine|
|MD Homoeopathic Organon of Medicine||PhD Radiology|
|MD Homeopathy||PhD Psychiatry|
|PhD Hospital Management||PhD Cardiology|
|MD Cardiology||MD Neurology|
|PhD Immunology||PhD Neuroscience|
|PhD in Mechanical Engineering||PhD in Computer Science and Engineering|
|PhD in Civil Engineering||PhD in Electrical Engineering|
|PhD in Electronics and Communication Engineering||PhD in Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|PhD in Information Technology||PhD in Chemical Engineering|
|PhD in Electronics and Telecommunication||PhD in Bioinformatics|
|PhD in Computer Engineering||PhD in Electronics Engineering|
|PhD in Food Technology||PhD in Biomedical Engineering|
|PhD in Nanotechnology||PhD in Environmental Engineering|
|PhD in Geotechnical Engineering||PhD in Petroleum Engineering|
|PhD in Software Engineering||M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering|
|PhD in Management Studies||PhD in Marketing|
|PhD in Business Administration||PhD in Finance|
|PhD in HR Management||PhD in Business Management|
|PhD in Operation Management||Fellow Program in Management|
|M.Phil in Management Studies||M.Phil in Management|
|Pharm.D||PhD in Pharmacy|
|PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences||PhD in Pharmacology|
|PhD in Pharmaceutics||PhD in Pharmaceutical Chemistry|
|PhD in Medicinal Chemistry||M.Phil in Pharmaceutics|
|PhD in Commerce||PhD in Statistics|
|PhD in Commerce and Management||PhD in Accountancy|
|PhD in Business Economics||PhD in Banking and Finance|
|M.Phil in Commerce||–|
|PhD in Agriculture||PhD in Agronomy|
|PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding||PhD in Horticulture|
|PhD in Agricultural Economics||PhD in Plant Pathology|
|PhD in Law||Doctor of Law (LL.D.)|
|PhD in Legal Studies||M.Phil in Law|
PhD: Scholarship Programs
|The Name of the Scholarship||The Name of the Institution|
|Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF)||MHRD, Government of India|
|CSIR-UGC JRF Fellowship||Government of India|
|DBT-JRF Fellowship||Government of India|
|FITM – AYUSH Research Fellowships Scheme||Forum on Indian Traditional Medicine (FITM) and Ministry of Ayush|
|SAARC Agricultural PhD Scholarships||SAAR Agricultural Centre|
|Swami Vivekananda Single Child Scholarship for Research in Social Science||UGC|
|ESSO-NCESS Junior Research Fellowship||ESSO- National Centre for Earth Science Studies|
|Vision India Foundation (VIF) Fellowship||Vision India Foundation (VIF)|
|Burning Questions Fellowship Awards||Tiny Beam Fund|
|Google PhD Scholarships|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Scholarships||Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund|
|ICHR Junior Research Fellowships (JRF)||Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)|
Top PhD Institutes
|Ranking by QS India||Institute Name||Average Fees|
|1||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB)||58,200|
|2||Indian Institute of Science||35,200|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD)||42,900|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)||19,670|
|5||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT-KGP)||50,000|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK)||64,050|
|7||University of Delhi||–|
|8||University of Hyderabad||8,980|
|9||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IITR)||28,500|
|10||Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG)||18,150|
Aligarh Muslim University
|12||Jamia Millia Islamia||15,000|
PhD- Top Job Profiles
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average Annual Salary|
|University Professor||A professor assists and guides students with their studies, research, and other activities. Their primary responsibility is to instruct students in academic and vocational subjects.||INR 6-10 LPA|
|Market Research Analyst||A Market Research Analyst must be capable of gathering and analyzing large amounts of data as well as comprehending the results in depth.||INR 9-12 LPA|
|Start-Up Mentors||They offer advice on new ideas as well as their opinion on the direction a startup should take.||INR 6 LPA|
|Authors||Authors with a PhD write about topics that interest readers and on which they have specialized and conducted research.||INR 9 LPA|
A PhD degree stands for “Doctor of Philosophy,” and it is the highest level of academic study.
PhD programs typically last five to six years. The duration, however, may vary depending on the institute to which the students have applied.
Of course, Stipends are available for most PhD programs. The amount varies depending on the doctoral degree chosen by the candidates.
Students can apply for fellowships by taking and passing entrance exams like UGC-NET, GATE, and others.
For a PhD, students should be committed and capable of conducting research. They should also be self-motivated and able to write well in order to prepare all of the reports and their thesis.
Students applying for PhD admissions must do so through the institute’s official website. Some institutes may also request research proposals in order to select students for admission.
The highest academic qualification available is a PhD. A PhD holder can expect to make between INR 6 and INR 12 lakhs per year.
In two years, a specific group of students can complete their PhD. Nothing, however, can be clearly stated as such.
Pursuing a PhD has long-term career objectives and allows the aspirant to make a significant contribution to their chosen field.