Biotechnology, also known as modern science, is involved in the manipulation, alteration, and cloning of genes in order to create low-cost products for societal benefit. It is a rapidly expanding industry with a variety of exciting career opportunities. PhD Doctorate Biotechnology is also known as Doctorate Biotechnology. Biotechnology is a branch of applied biology that entails the application of biological systems and biological processes to engineering, technology, medicine, and other fields that require bio-products. Upon completion
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
PhD Biotechnology: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Also referred to as||Doctorate of Philosophy in Biotechnology|
|Duration of Course||3-5 years|
|Criteria for Eligibility||Postgraduate degree in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics|
|Process of Admission||On the basis of Entrance test.|
|Fee for Course||INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Average Pay||INR 3 LPA – INR 15 LPA|
|Positions of Job||Bio-technical Researcher, Medical Coder, Professor, , Biochemist, Medical Scientist, Microbiologist, Bio-manufacturing Specialist, Product manager, Associate Research Scientists,Medical Communication Specialist, etc.|
PhD Biotechnology Eligibility
- Candidates must have completed a post-graduate degree in Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, or another relevant field from a recognized board or university.
- To be qualified to apply for this course, you must have a minimum of 50 percent – 55 percent aggregate marks or a 6.75 C.G.P.A on a 10-point scale at the post-graduate level.
- They must also pass entrance exams such as the CSIR- UGC NET, DBI JRF, ICMR JRF, and others.
- The applicant must currently be recruited in the with research experience in a specific field
PhD Biotechnology Syllabus
|Title||Topics||Description of Topics|
|Molecular Biology||Proteins, DNA, RNA, and other macro-bio-molecules’ structures are studied and researched. This research could also lead to the discovery of a new type of bio-molecule.|
|Bioinformatics and Bio-statistics||This field entails the use of data science and information technology to properly analyse genetic compounds. Genetic analysis is also carried out in this branch.|
|Statistics and Probability Theory||This is a mathematical field that encompasses all of the major theories of probability and statistics, as well as their applications in biotechnology.|
|Protein Biotechnology||In-depth research into the structure, types, functions, and other aspects of proteins.|
|Electrophoresis and DNA Sequencing||Gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, and DNA sequencing will all be practi;ed by the researchers.|
|Genomics||The study of different types of genes found in various lifeforms, their tracing, and the Genome Project Project will be the focus of this field.|
|Critical Review on the Research Conducted||The researchers’ research will be evaluated by university officials and faculty members. In front of them, the scholars will have to convey their findings in detail.|
|A Research Review Report||Following the critical review, the researcher will prepare a research review report, which must be required to submit at the completion of the term.|
|Viva-Voce||The researchers will be required to appear for a Viva-Voce on their research.|
PhD Biotechnology Admission
- Enrollment to the Doctor of philosophy Biotechnology programme will be based on the results of the entrance examination.
- UGC NET, CSIR UGC NET, and other Doctorate Biotechnology Entrance Examination are among the most popular.
- Candidates who have passed the GATE/GPAT will be deemed eligible to the programme. They will not be required to take any entrance exams.
The admission process is briefly discussed here.
- First Step: Filling out the application form is the first step in the admissions process. After you’ve successfully submitted your application, you can move on to the next step in the admissions process.
- Second Step: Entrance test: Students are accepted to most universities based on their entrance exam scores. The college authorities determine the cut-off for the admissions test.
- Third Step: Discussions and Face To face interview: A personal interview is also conducted by some colleges. Candidates will be selected based on their interview performance.
- Enrollment is the fourth step. Getting accepted to college is the final step in the admissions process. They must submit all necessary documentation and expect to be paid the admission fees in order to do so.
PhD Biotechnology: Some Important Entrance Exams
- The National Testing Agency administers the CSIR- UGC NET test on behalf of the Committee of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). The question paper is divided into three sections and contains 120 questions worth 200 points each.
- JNUET- The National Testing Agency will administer this exam on behest of Jawaharlal Nehru University. It will be a computer-based test that will be administered online. This exam will take 3 hours to finish.
PhD Biotechnology: Top Institutes
|2019 Ranking by India Today||Institute||Place||
Annual Fees on an average
|9||Stella Maris College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 2,000|
|13||Women’s Christian College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 48,200|
|16||Mount Carmel College||Bangalore, Karnataka||NA|
|20||St. Xavier’s College||Ahmedabad, Gujarat||INR 80,000|
|27||Kishinchand Chellaram College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||NA|
|33||DAV College||Chandigarh||INR 9,425|
|40||Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College for Women||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 44,000|
|45||Bishop Heber College||Tiruchirappalli, Kerala||INR 30,000|
|55||Ramaniranjan jhunjhunwala College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 12,000|
|69||Jaipur National University||Jaipur, Rajasthan||INR 1,26,000|
PhD Biotechnology: Preparation Plan
- To begin, you must understand the exam’s exact syllabus and pattern. Because the syllabus is extensive, you should begin studying for the exam several months ahead of time.
- Create a list of subject areas and prioritize them as per the marks assigned to them, then create a schedule with the subject distribution and research the subjects as per the marks.
- You should adhere to a few good rules.
PhD Biotechnology: Top Foreign Institutes
|University of Cambridge||UK||7th|
|Swinburne University of Technology||Australia||372|
|University of Technology Sydney||Sydney||133|
|University of Oxford||US||4|
|University of California||US||28|
PhD Biotechnology: A Comparison Among Institutes
|Basis of Comparison||Chandigarh University||Jaipur National University||Barkatullah University|
|Highlight||Chandigarh University is among the newest institutions to be consistently ranked by the NIRF Ranking survey results. The Institute is a private deemed university that offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral level courses online and in the classroom.||The National University of Jaipur was founded in 2007. Interdisciplinary programs are available at the university both in traditional and distance learning formats. The India Today group ranked the university among some of the top Institutions in India in 2019.||It was changed its name in 1988 after the great freedom fighter Prof. Barkatullah, who was born in the area. It was formally known as the University of Bhopal and more informally as Bhopal University. It is the capital city’s main university, and it awards degrees to the majority of non-technical academic institutions in and around Bhopal.|
|Rank||NIRF 2020 – 84 Jagran Josh 2020 – 27||India Today 2019 – 69||—|
|Process of Admission||Entrance based||Merit based and Interview||Merit and Entrance|
|Average Fees||INR 85,000||INR 1,08,000||INR 30,000|
|Average Salary |
|INR 7 LPA||INR 4 LPA||INR 4 LPA|
|Top Hires||HP, Samsung, ITC, JSW, Videocon, ICICI, Bajaj, Wipro,||Wipro, SAP, Oberois Group, Patanjali, Intecons, Bosch Ltd.||DRDO, NTPC, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited.|
PhD Biotechnology: Important Book Recommendations
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Biochemistry & Molecular Biology of plants||Buchanan|
|Concepts & Experiments||Karp|
|Cell proliferation and apoptosis||Hughes & Mehnet|
|Molecular Cell Biology||Lodish|
|Cell & Molecular Biology||D. Robertis|
PhD Biotechnology: Top Institutes in USA
- Clarkson University
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- University of California – Berkeley
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville
- The University of Pittsburgh
- Texas A & M University-College Station
- University of California – Davis
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Tufts University
PhD Biotechnology and PhD Microbiology: Key Differences
|Basis of Comparison||PhD in Biotechnology||PhD in Microbiology|
|Highlight||Topics covered in biotechnology include the Human Genome Project, biostatistics, and DNA sequencing, among others. During this course, candidates use biotechnological techniques to establish a new and improved product.||In-vitro fertilisation, embryology, and the study of bacteria, protozoa, and other microbes are all topics covered by PhD microbiology. It primarily entails the study of microbes in order to learn about new characteristics of these organisms.|
|Eligibility Criteria||To be able to qualify for this course, you must have a minimum of 50 percent – 55 percent aggregate marks or a 6.75 CGPA on a 10-point scale at the post-graduate level.||To be able to qualify for this course, you must have a minimum of 50 percent – 55 percent aggregate marks at the post-graduate level.|
|Admission Process of Admission||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Fees||INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000||INR 20,000 to INR 1,50,000|
|Job Profiles||Biotechnologist, Biochemist, Biochemical Researcher, etc.||Microbiologists, Embryologist, Bacterial Researchers, Pharmaceutical Researchers, etc.|
|Average Pay||INR 4 – 20 LPA||INR 3 – 15 LPA|
|Employment Areas||Autos, E-commerce, Food & beverages, Health – care, Medical coverage, Energy and Utilities, Infrastructural facilities, Aerospace, Agribusiness and Allied Industries, Steel, Textile products, Roads, and other industries are just a few examples.||Food, beverage, chemical, aromatic amino acids, and pharmaceutical industries are just a few examples.|
PhD Biotechnology: Career and Job Profiles
Earning a Doctorate in Biotechnology in this rapidly evolving field of study opens up a lot of opportunities for students once they complete the program. The following are a few of them:
- Biomedical Engineer
- A Medical Scientist
- Product Strategist
- A Process Development Scientist
- Bio-manufacturing Specialist
|Profile of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary |
|Business Development Manager||Business development managers assist biotechnology companies in formulating and executing investment and growth strategies by providing detailed market analysis and competitive intelligence.||INR 6,01,685|
|Process Development Scientists||Process development scientists look for ways to improve the quality and efficiency of a company’s manufacturing process in the lab.||INR 3,56,967|
|Biochemist||Biochemists implement complex research projects to investigate the chemical composition of living organisms and biological processes such as cell growth and development. They also study the effects of organs, hormones, and physiological functions in order to develop new products and procedures that could help people live longer, healthier lives.||INR 4,80,000|
|Biological/ Clinical Technician||To collect, analyse, and model experiment data, such technicians utilise lab equipment, advanced robotics, specialized software applications, and automated equipment.||INR 4,58,600|
|Microbiologist||Microbiologists study bacteria, pathogens, algae, fungi, and parasites, among other microorganisms. They’re attempting to figure out how these microbes live, grow, and engage with their surroundings.||INR 3,11,461|
PhD Biotechnology: Institutes offering Distance Courses
|Ranking by NIRF in 2020||Institute||Place||Average Fees||Duration|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University||New Delhi||INR 20,000-40,000||2 years|
|99||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 2,32,000||2 years|
|__||TERI University: Environmental and sustainability University||New Delhi||INR 90,000||3 years|
PhD Biotechnology: Benefits and Scope
Biotechnology is a vast subject with a growing scope in the industry, and it has brought many multinational corporations together. As a result of many discoveries and advances in medicine, the medical world has enhanced clinical studies and introduced novel practices and pharmaceutical product production as a result of many discoveries and advances in medicine. These are a few industries that have increased their demand for students with a PhD in biotechnology from India.
- Biotechnology provides limitless possibilities. Whether in the healthcare field or in agriculture, technology has advanced significantly in recent years.
- Biotechnology is used in a variety of industries.
- Government entities, private enterprises, regulatory bodies, and clinical laboratories are just some of the organizations where professionals can work.
- The scope of this field is expected to expand in the future. There will be many job opportunities in this field, just as there will be advancements in technology.
- Candidates will have a variety of career options. Students can work in the IT industry in addition to pursuing careers in biotechnology.
- The candidates have the possibility of becoming business owners.
- This course prepares you to start your own laboratory, become a university professor, and work as a research scientist.
- They can work in a variety of industries, including the medical field, government laboratories, pharmaceuticals, chemical factories, agricultural companies, and many others.
- Candidates may find work in the bio-processing industries’ planning, production, and management.
They can also work in the following Areas and have Good Careers:
- bio-processing industries
- Agricultural Sciences
- Environment Control
- Public-funded laboratories
- Energy Management
- Food Processing
- Dairy Technology
- Waste Management
- Drug and Pharmaceutical Research
A minimum of 50%–55 percent (or 6.75 CGPA on a 10-point scale) in Biotech or some other related discipline at the post-graduate level from a recognized university is required. And they must pass college entrance exams such as the CSIR-UGC NET, DBI JRF, ICMR JRF, and others.
Biotechnology has a huge potential, and its demand is expected to rise in the future. Government agencies, private companies, regulatory bodies, and clinical laboratories are just some of the organisations where professionals can work.
After completing a PhD in Biotechnology, you can expect to earn between INR 4-20 Lac per year as a starting salary.
This course is offered by a number of good universities, particularly in the United States and the United Kingdom. However, in order to study this course oversea, you must pass English proficiency tests such as the TOEFL and IELTS.
The interviewer will attempt to evaluate your research proposal. As a result, have a clear understanding about the proposed study you choose so that you can clearly explain your research idea.
These are among the job profiles that are available to these candidates:
Manager of Business Development
Product Strategy/Commercialization Director
Scientists who work on process development
Experts in bio-manufacturing
Technician in biological/clinical research
Yes, English language proficiency tests such as the IELTS, TOEFL, and others are required for admission to good colleges abroad.
There are many reputable colleges in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia that offer PhD Biotechnology programmes.