Ph.D. Microbiology is a three- to five-year doctoral program that aims to provide qualified individuals with doctoral studies in a variety of microbiology topics. This course is primarily concerned with the advanced study of microscopic, unicellular, and cell-cluster organisms. Students will have the opportunity to study microbiology genetics, general virology, microbial pathogens, infectious diseases, general parasitology, and microbial ecology, among other topics. Students will gain skills in using and evaluating statistics, as well as the ability to accurately analyze data, in order to further understand scientific processes and systems.
Microbiology is the science concerned with the study of microorganisms and the ailments that they cause. Microbiology degrees are concerned with the shape, structure (morphological characteristics), genetics, and metabolic functions of microscopic and sub-microscopic life forms.
Table of Contents
Ph.D. Microbiology: An Overview
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Course Duration||3 to 5 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||Postgraduate degree with an aggregate of at least 55% marks.|
|Process of Admission||Entrance/ Merit-Based followed by Interview|
|Average Fee for the Course||INR 2,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Average Salary in the beginning||INR 8,00,000 to INR 16,00,000|
|Top Recruitment Areas||Colleges, Universities, Food Industry, Development Laboratories, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Laboratory Technologist, Technical Specialist, Medical Technologist, Laboratory Scientist, Lecturer, etc.|
Ph.D. Microbiology Eligibility
- The students must hold a postgraduate degree from a recognized university.
- The candidates must score an aggregate of at least 55% marks (50% for candidates belonging to the SC/ST category) in post-graduation.
- They also must have experience of at least five years in teaching, industry, the administrative sector, etc.
Ph.D. Microbiology Syllabus
|First Semester||Second Semester|
|Diversity of Prokaryotic Eukaryotic Microbes||Environmental microbiology Conservation|
|Microbial Physiology and Metabolism||Plant-Pathogen Interaction|
|Recombinant DNA Technology||__|
|Industrial and Food Microbiology|
Ph.D. Microbiology Admission
- Visit the Institution’s Official Website – To apply for a PhD in microbiology, students must go to the university portal and fill out an online application.
- Students must first start creating a login ID and username before they can fill out the application form.
- Application Form – After creating and filling out your application form, log in to your account.
- Personal and educational information – Applicants must provide personal information such as their name, parents’ names, contact information, and educational qualifications.
- Upload the required documents – Applicants must upload documents that include their signature and a photograph.
- Payment of the application fee and submission of the form are the final steps.
- Print – Print a copy of the application form for future reference.
Ph.D. Microbiology: Preparation Plan
The following preparation tips might be considered helpful for individuals preparing for a PhD microbiology program:
- Course structure and question structure: Students must have a clear understanding of what they should study and the types of questions that will be asked on the exam. The majority of entrance exams usually lasting two and three hours, and the questions are of a subjective nature.
- Section-wise Preparation: Questions are primarily based on the subjects to which the candidate is applying. As a result, students must have a thorough understanding of the topics.
- Previous Exam Questions:
- Aspirants should review the previous year’s question paper thoroughly. This will assist them in comprehending the types of questions that will be asked during the examination.
- Time Management: Because this is the most essential consideration of one’s preparation, students are advised to create a detailed time schedule and stick to it. They should also devote time to practicing timed papers.
- Because most colleges base admission to PhD Microbiology program on a candidate’s performance in the qualifying examination, i.e. M.Sc. Microbiology and professional experience, getting a good score in the qualifying examination and pursuing appropriate experience in the related field is extremely important.
- It is also critical for students to be mentally and physically prepared for the next steps after the entrance exam, such as counselling and interviews.
- They do not need to be stressed while studying for the exam.
- Candidates should also keep track of all important events related to the admissions process in order to avoid missing any deadlines.
- In order to do well in the entrance examination, aspirants should practice as many sample papers and previous year question papers as they can.
- Candidates should keep an eye out for the best colleges where they can pursue a PhD program and begin their preparation accordingly.
Ph.D. Microbiology Important Entrance Exams
|Examination||UGC- NET||GATE||GPAT||CSIR UGC NET|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)||IIT||National Testing Agency (NTA)||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Name of the Exam||University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering||Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test|
|Frequency of the Exam||Twice in a year||Once in a year||Once in a year||Twice a year|
|Level of Exam||National||National||National||National|
|Mode of Exam||Online||Online||Online||Online|
Ph.D. Microbiology: Top Academic Institutes
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||Admission Procedure||Average Fees|
|10||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Entrance-Based||INR 8,368|
|11||University of Calcutta, Kolkata||Merit + Interview||INR 4,400|
|15||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||Merit + Interview||INR 11,210|
|43||Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 46,000|
|44||Punjab University, Chandigarh||Merit + Interview||INR 15,667|
|49||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||Merit + Interview||INR 33,200|
|58||SRM Institute of Technology, Kanchipuram||Merit + Interview||INR 16,000|
|81||Pondicherry University, Pondicherry||Merit + Interview||INR 36,283|
|101-150||Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar||Merit + Interview||INR 9,500|
|101-150||Assam University, Silchar||Merit + Interview||INR 26,545|
Ph.D. Microbiology and Ph.D. Biotechnology: Key Differences
|Parameters of Comparison||Ph.D. Biotechnology||Ph.D. Microbiology|
|Qualification||Doctorate in Biotechnology||Doctorate in Microbiology|
|Overview of Course||Ph.D. in Biotechnology is a full-time research program that is of 3-year duration and is a more diverse field as compared to Ph.D. Microbiology.||Doctorate in Microbiology is a full-time doctorate program the duration of which is 3 years and can be pursued after completing post-graduation.|
|Type of Examination||Semester||Semester|
|Average Fees (Annually)||INR 20,000 to INR 1,50,000||INR 2,000 to INR 1,20,000|
|Duration of Course||3 to 5 years||3 to 5 years|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation in relevant discipline.||Post Graduation in relevant discipline.|
|Admission Procedure||Merit-Based followed by Interview||Merit-Based followed by Interview|
|Top Institutes||Punjab University, Amity University, Lovely Professional University, Amity University, etc.||Punjab University, Mahatma Gandhi University, Banaras Hindu University, etc.|
|Average Pay||INR 7,00,000 to INR 20,00,000||INR 8,00,000 to INR 16,00,000|
|Top Employment Areas||Colleges/ Universities, Research Laboratories etc.||Colleges/ Universities, Research Laboratories, Food Processing Units, Environmental Organizations, etc.|
Ph.D. Microbiology: A Comparison among Top Institutes
|Name of the Institute||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam||Punjab University, Chandigarh||SRM Institute of Technology, Kanchipuram|
|Highlight||Mahatma Gandhi University is a higher education institution in Kottayam, Kerala, that has been ranked among India’s top 50 universities..||Punjab University is a top institution located in Punjab that offers a diverse range of undergraduate, post – graduate, and research programs.||With over 20,000 students and over 2,600 faculty across all of its campuses, SRM Institute of Technology is one of India’s top-ranked colleges. This institute offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral courses in Engineering, Management, Medicine, Health Sciences, Science, and Humanities.|
|Place||Kottayam, Kerala||Chandigarh||Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu|
|2020 Ranking by NRF||49||44||58|
|Criteria for ELigibility||Have a postgraduate degree in a relevant field with a grade point average of at least 55 percent.||Have a postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline with a cumulative grade point average of at least 55 percent and 5 years of knowledge in the areas.||A postgraduate degree from a recognized university.|
|Admission Procedure||Merit-Based followed by Interview||Merit-Based followed by Interview||Merit-Based followed by Interview|
|Average Fees (Annually)||INR 33,200||INR 15,667||INR 16,000|
|Average Salary |
|INR 9,70,000||INR 10,85,000||INR 12,15,000|
|Top Employment Areas||Pharmaceutical companies, food and beverage companies, healthcare organisations, and so on.||Biotechnology companies, environmental agencies, food processors, research laboratories, and other similar businesses.||Food Factories, Research Laboratories, and Research Organizations are all examples of research organisations.|
Ph.D. Microbiology: Top Job Profiles and Career options
|Position of Job||Job Profile||Average Salary (Annually)|
|Agricultural and Food Scientist||An Agricultural and Food Scientist’s job is to conduct research and find ways to improve people’s productivity and well-being.||INR 9,20,000|
|Biochemists and Biophysicists||Biochemists and biophysicists study the physical aspects of living things as well as related organic techniques like cell development, heredity, and so on.||INR 10,44,000|
|Biological Technicians||A Biological Technician’s job is to help biological and pharmaceutical researchers to conduct laboratory tests and other relevant studies.||INR 8,78,000|
|Chemical Technicians||Chemical technicians use a variety of instruments and methods to assist scientists in examining, creating, producing, and testing substances and procedures..||INR 11,22,000|
|Epidemiologists||An epidemiologist’s job is to investigate and discover the causes of disease and harm in the population. They hope that their investigation and application of well-being strategies will reduce the risks and events of illness.||INR 14,88,000|
Ph.D. in Microbiology: Benefits and Scope
- Many research scholars go on to work as researchers in universities, pharmaceutical and bio-science companies, and institutes all over India and the world.
- Students can also pursue research professions in biomedical or technical roles involving research after completing a PhD in Microbiology program.
- For those interested in pursuing a career in microbiology, there are numerous job opportunities.
- Microbiologists will work in a variety of settings, such as health centers, food manufacturing, research and development, chemical manufacturing, and pharmaceutical manufacturing.
- PhD Microbiology graduates can also pursue a career as a Laboratory Scientist, conducting research for environmental benefit.
- Students can work in a variety of fields, including colleges, universities, the food industry, and research laboratories, with an average annual salary of INR 8–16 lakhs.
The following are some of the best universities and institutes in India that offer PhD Microbiology programs: Varanasi Presidency College, Banaras Hindu University, Chennai VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai Kuvempu University, Shimoga Chandigarh University, Chandigarh NIMS University, Jaipur VELS Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
The Ph.D. The microbiology course is not difficult at all. It appears simple to you if you are interested in Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, and Life Sciences. Essentially, it is entirely dependent on your personal preferences.
This program might last anywhere from three to five years.
Virology, Immunology, and Molecular Biology, among other disciplines, are included in the Ph.D. Microbiology program.
The majority of colleges and institutes admit candidates to Ph.D. Microbiology programs based on their performance in the postgraduate course.
After completing a Ph.D. program in microbiology, you can work as a Research Scientist, Epidemiologist, or do research in microbiology and related areas.
You can work in the personal care products market if you want to.
The GATE exam is held once a year.
You can apply for UGC-NET by filling out an application form on the official website.