PGDCA (Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications) is a one-year professional course in Computer Applications that teaches computer application and computer science.
The theoretical and practical aspects of computer software and their applications are extensively covered in the PGDCA. PGDCA courses are designed to teach students about a variety of topics such as database management systems, operating systems, and web programming.
The prerequisite for pursuing the PGDCA degree is a Bachelor’s degree from any of the accredited universities. Job opportunities for a computer professional have become inevitable due to the rapid growth of technology in various aspects of life.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
The PGDCA Course: An Overview
|Also referred as||Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications|
|Duration of the Course||Course Duration of Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications [PGDCA] is 1 Years.|
|Age Limit||No Age Restrictions|
|Minimum Percentage Required||50%|
|Subjects of Study||Graduation in any stream|
|Average Annual Fees||10,000 – 2 lakh per annum|
|Similar Courses||MCA, BCA+MCA|
|Average Annual Salary||7 lakhs per annum|
|Roles of Employment||PHP Developer, Oracle PL/SQL Developer, Quality Analyst, IT Specialists, Technology Engineer, Technical Consultant, Programmers,Software Developer, Graphic Designer, and such.|
|Opportunities for Placement||Space Research Institutes, Hospitals, Health Care Providers, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry, Chemical Industry, Educational Institutes,Environmental Management and Conservation, Forensic|
Eligibility Criteria for PGDCA
The requirements for admission to PGDCA programs differ from one college to the next. While some universities, such as Delhi University and Dibrugarh University, require students to achieve a minimum of 40% aggregate in their undergraduate courses, colleges such as IK Gujral Punjab Technical University do not have any qualifying exam cutoff marks.
Institutes may set an age limit for admission to PGDCA programs in some cases. Vallabh Government College has made it mandatory for students to be under the age of 26 (28 for girls) to apply for admission to PGDCA programs.
- The candidate must have completed a bachelor’s degree in any discipline (BA, B.Com, B.Sc, B.B.A, B.C.A, B.Tech, etc.).
- Minimum marks: With a few exceptions, such as Dibrugarh University, there are no minimum marks in most cases.
- While a simple graduation is usually sufficient, institutes such as IGNOU and the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata require that the candidate study mathematics as one of their graduate or post-graduate subjects.
- Again, most institutes have no upper or lower age restrictions. The Vallabh Government College in Mandi is an exception.
Syllabus for PGDCA
The PGDCA course curriculum is designed to ensure that students are well-versed in all aspects of the subject. Programming, Java, Soft Skills, and other topics are covered in depth in the PGDCA syllabus.
The detailed syllabus for the PGDCA is tabulated below.
|First Semester||Second Semester|
|Fundamentals of Information Technology||Visual Basics|
|Software Engineering||Data Structure & Algorithms|
|Business Process||PPM & OB|
|Web Programming||Practical Work|
PGDCA Admission Procedure
- Admission to a PGDCA program is usually determined by the results of a graduate examination, but some institutions, such as the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata, conduct a written test or examination to screen applicants. Candidates who pass the test are invited to an interview before being assigned a seat.
- IGNOU, Dibrugarh University in Assam, and the University of Delhi all offer admission to the PGDCA program based on qualifying exam results. The authorities compile a merit list based on qualifying exam results, which is used to assign seats.
- When there is an entrance exam, usually only the exam results are taken into account for admission, but there are some exceptions, such as Sardar Patel University, which considers both graduation and entrance exam results.
PGDCA: Preparation Plan
- Prepare the basics and review them on a regular basis.
- Programming should be given special attention because it is the foundation of software development.
- Prepare a detailed schedule and stick to it religiously.
- Manage your time wisely by giving special attention to difficult sections like DBMS.
- Code Chef, Hacker Earth, and HackerRank are all good places to start.
PGDCA: Top Institutes
A number of top PGDCA colleges can be found in India. For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best colleges across the country.
|Name of the Institute||Average Annual Fees|
|Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar||17,400|
|Dibrugarh University, Assam||23,380|
|Lovely Professional University||1,09,000|
|Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata||–|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar University||–|
|Patna Women’s College, Patna||–|
|University of Delhi||10,000|
|Sardar Patel University||–|
|Vallabh Government College, Mandi||15,300|
|Madras Christian College, Chennai||15,000|
PGDCA: Top Distance Education Institutes
|Name of the Institutes||Average Annual Fees|
|IGNOU, New Delhi||21,600|
|Amity School of Distance Learning, Noida|
|University of Delhi||7,000|
|Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai||10,000|
|Sambalpur University, Odisha||12,000|
|Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology, Hisar||6,000|
- Jaipur National University
- Lovely Professional University
- Alagappa University
- Annamalai University
- Sikkim Manipal University
- Bharathidasan University
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Suresh Gyan Vihar University
- Delhi University
- Osmania University
PGDCA: Admission Procedure of Different Institutes
|Name of the Institute||Admission Procedure|
|Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar||Merit of qualifying exam|
|Dibrugarh University, Assam||Based on merit of qualifying exam|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)||Merit list for admission will be prepared using marks of qualifying exam.|
|Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata||Applicants will be required to take a written exam. Those who pass the test will be contacted for a personal interview (PI).|
The candidate’s academic record and performance in PI will be used to determine final admission.
Multiple-choice and/or short-answer questions based on basic mathematics will be included in the test. A good conceptual understanding of the subject is required for the interview.
|Directorate of Distance Education, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu||Admission is based on the merit of the qualifying exam; no entrance exam will be conducted.|
|Institute of Distance Education, Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana||Based on the merit of the qualifying exam.|
|Patna Women’s College, Patna||On merit of qualifying exam|
|IGNOU||Based on marks of qualifying exam; there will be no entrance exam|
|University of Delhi||Merit of qualifying exam|
|Sardar Patel University||Admission is determined by a combination of the institute’s entrance exam and the student’s graduation grades.|
The weighting will be in the ratio of 40:60.
|Career Point University, Kota||Admission shall be given on Merit based on past academic performance.|
|Vallabh Government College, Mandi||Admission will be determined by a competitive written entrance exam consisting of 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) each worth one mark and lasting one hour and thirty minutes.|
General Aptitude & Basic Math (60%) and General Awareness & English (40%) questions will be asked
PGDCA: Top Job Profiles
|Profiles of Job||Description of Job||Average |
|IT Support Analyst||IT Support Analysts are in charge of assisting users with technical set-up, advice, and assistance via email, phone, social media, and in person.||3 LPA|
|Software Engineer||A software engineer is a person who creates and tests software. Software engineers are also in charge of improving existing code and developing new technical specializations.||5 LPA|
|IT Consultant||IT Consultants provides technical assistance in the development and implementation of IT systems for both internal and external clients.||11 LPA|
|Web Designer||Working with colleagues or clients to meet their needs, web designers create the design and layout of a website or web pages.||2.3 LPA|
|Software Developer||Software developers build programs, applications, and websites to create software solutions.||3.9 LPA|
|Quality Assurance Analyst||Before releasing games, programs, and software to the public, Quality Assurance Analysts test them for reliability, functionality, and user friendliness.||4 LPA|
|Systems Analyst||Systems analysts examine existing IT systems and create specifications for new ones. They examine the client’s or employer’s hardware, software, and larger IT systems to determine new requirements.||6 LPA|
PGDCA: Benefits and Scope
There are numerous arguments in favor of pursuing a PGDCA as a career path. The following are a few of the most compelling reasons to enroll in PGDCA courses:
- PGDCA is a one-year postgraduate program, which makes it a viable career option when compared to two-year courses like M.Tech or MCA. PGDCA courses include a comprehensive curriculum that will not only save you time but also help you compete with students from other programs.
- Students generally prefer a Masters degree over a Diploma degree for professional courses, making PGDCA courses a great career choice in terms of competition, which is relatively low when compared to other professional courses.
- When it comes to hiring new graduates, companies would always prefer a PGDCA over a B.Tech graduate, simply because a B.Tech graduate would expect a higher salary package than a PGDCA scholar, which would help the company cut costs significantly.
- Because the PGDCA is a professional degree, the student may choose to work after completing the program. Given that the PGDCA is a relatively niche course, there are some promising job opportunities for the student, particularly if the degree is obtained from a prestigious institution.
A PGDCA course will provide you with in-depth knowledge of the field as well as placement opportunities in industries such as banking, accounting, and insurance.
You can work as an employee in any relevant field of study or pursue courses such as master’s and doctoral degrees in computer applications.
It isn’t a master’s degree, no. It is a one-year computer application diploma program.
With a few exceptions, admission is based on qualifying exam scores. The Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata, for example, has a written admissions test.
The usual norm is one year (two semesters), with regular versions offered by institutes such as the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata and Sardar Patel University, and distance versions offered by IGNOU and Dibrugarh University.
A candidate pursuing a PGDCA in computer science will gain knowledge of software, software applications, and their development.
The PGDCA course is available in both regular and distance learning formats. Regular mode is more interactive and regular, and provides access to quality teachers, while distance mode is less expensive and more flexible.
A PGDCA course is a Post-Graduate Diploma certification degree in Computer Applications that can be pursued only after completing a bachelor’s degree in any field. DCA, on the other hand, is a Diploma in Computer Applications that can be pursued immediately after 10th or 12th grade without the need to pursue a degree program