MHM, or Masters in Hospital Management is a 2-year full-time programme that is broken down into four 6-month-long semesters. This course, which adheres to the business administration paradigm, deals with healthcare or health services administration.
The Master of Hospital Management programme serves as a direct conduit between medical centres, medical insurance, and those who provide the necessary services. Hospital and hospital network administration, management, and leadership fall within the purview of hospital administrators. Graduates without a medical background can also enrol in hospital management courses.
A bachelor’s degree (10+2+3) in arts, sciences, commerce, engineering, technology, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, agriculture, or any other professional field from an accredited university is required for entrance to this programme. Various universities hold the entrance exam to admit students to this programme.
Throughout the programme, students will receive training in skills that will allow them to use their understanding of health care services in an efficient manner.
Hospital management, healthcare administration, and health services administration were among the areas of specialisation. Graduates of the programme are equipped for managerial and administrative positions in healthcare organisations such as hospitals, clinics, emergency rooms, and other related settings.
Depending on the university delivering the course, the average annual course fee in India is between INR 8000 and 1,40,000. Basic qualifying requirements for enrolling in the course include graduation from an accredited university with a minimum overall grade point average of 50%.
According to the candidate’s level of skill in the subject, the average yearly starting wage granted to successful post-graduates in India is between INR 1 lakh and 10 lacs.
Many prestigious hospitals and private healthcare institutions are hiring MBA professionals to fill the growing demand in the healthcare sector. Healthcare organisations in India, including Fortis Healthcare Limited, Apollo Hospitals, KPMG, AIIMS, Goa Institute of Management, Infosys, and others, are on the list of some of the greatest jobs for MBAs in this industry, with starting salaries ranging from INR 1 lakh to INR 10 lakhs on average.
After successfully completing this course, students can pursue careers as Agency Managers, Direct Marketing Managers, Hospital Administration Managers, Hospital Business Managers, Key Accounts Managers, Management Trainees, Occupational Health Specialists, and Program Managers.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
Masters in Hospital Management Course Highlights
Some of the course’s main highlights are listed here.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Counselling after taking the entrance examination|
|Course Fee||INR 8000 to 1,40,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Fortis Healthcare Limited, Apollo Hospitals, KPMG, AIIMS, Goa Institute of Management, Infosys|
|Job Profiles||Agency Manager, Direct Marketing Manager, Hospital Administration Manager, Hospital Business Manager, Key Accounts Manager, Management Trainee, Occupational Health Specialist, Program Manager|
MHM: Skills Required
Hotel Industry provides ample job opportunities for freshers as well as experienced candidates too. This industry requires some essential skill sets that will funnel growth for organizations and freshers alike.
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Attention to detail
- Interpersonal Skills
- Skill in performing tasks
- Thorough knowledge of the hotel industry
- Warm and open personality
- Creativity with precision
- Good leadership
Why Study for a Master’s in Hospital Management?
- They can continue their higher education after earning a master’s degree and can also work as teachers.
- Additionally, it raises the standard of patient care, processes, and services. They can also pursue positions as hospital administrators, which need them to communicate amongst the hospital’s many departments and make sure that all of the equipment is operational.
- M.H.M. enables medical professionals to provide improved patient care. increased nursing productivity, improved patient care quality, reduced the amount of time staff spends filling out paperwork and freed up resources for more important activities.
- In addition to managing the research and clinical activities, they are in charge of employing non-medical staff, maintaining hospital services, maintaining security, developing the hospital brand, marketing, accounts, and financial operations.
Masters in Hospital Management Admission Process
For entrance to the programme, candidates must pass a written exam administered by several universities. The 100 multiple-choice questions on the test evaluate:
- Current affairs
- Medicine and Paramedicine knowledge
- The logical and quantitative reasoning
- Numerical ability
Some of the institutions that hold entrance exams for MHM admission include: –
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences
- SRM University, Kanchipuram
- Institute of Business Management and Research, Kolkata
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration, Hyderabad
Advantages of Master of Hotel Management
A Master of Hotel Management is a postgraduate degree programme in the field of hospitality. Individuals who want to establish a hospitality-based career should opt for this course. as it provides them with in-depth knowledge and skills to function in the hospitality industry.
Type of Master of Hotel Management
MHM is a master’s level degree programme. Aspirants are being taught different concepts namely – design and management, marketing and sales, applied operations research, etc. In this very PG programme, one has to communicate with an ample of different kinds of clients. In order to pursue this course, applicants need to pass their graduation.
Eligibility for Masters in Hospital Management.
The following is a list of the requirements for the MHM Course:
- The minimal requirement for enrollment in the course is graduation from an accredited university with a minimum overall grade point average of 50%.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: statistics, microeconomics, accounting, or behavioural sciences. These courses concentrate on the funding, planning, and administration of healthcare institutions or organisations.
Below are some details about the entrance-based examination admission process:
- Universities and Colleges choose entrance-based admission to provide a level playing field for all applicants. Here, candidates must take an entrance exam after submitting an application for admission to the relevant college.
- The majority of colleges hold university-level entrance exams to admit students to their programmes. Candidates are therefore recommended to review the admissions requirements of each college that offers an MHM course.
- The concerned admissions panel will release merit lists after the exam, which will include all candidates’ names, ranks, and scores.
- All applicants will be invited to take part in various selection processes, including a personal interview and/or a group discussion, depending on the admissions policies of specific universities.
- The college or university will grant prospective students admission based on how well they perform in the various selection criteria, such as the entrance exam, personal interview, and/or group discussion.
The following are the details of the master’s in hospital management admissions process on a merit basis:
- Candidates will be required to submit applications to the colleges and programmes of their choice and show up for the specified selection processes.
- Colleges may use group discussions and/or personal interviews as part of their selection procedures.
- A candidate’s admission status to the institution will be determined by how well they do overall across all the numerous criteria, including their course eligibility, prior academic performance, performance in the individual interview, and/or group discussion.
How to get admission to a good MHM college?
- The universities themselves will administer the entrance exam.
- Therefore, you shouldn’t skimp on your entrance exam preparation if you want to enrol in a reputable college.
- Your final Class 12 or intermediate scores should be able to meet the cut-off criteria established by the college since some universities also choose students based on merit.
- Make sure you submit your application to the college of your choice before the deadline.
- Also, get ready for the personal interview and the group discussion. Be certain and persuasive in your remarks.
Points to consider when you study for the MHM Entrance Exams:
- To finish the entire curriculum on time, carefully read the entrance exam syllabus and adhere to the time schedule.
- To ensure that you are not completely unfamiliar with these topics, you should have some background in or knowledge of pertinent subjects.
- Utilize prior year’s test questions to familiarize yourself with the format of the test.
- Determine your areas of weakness and put greater emphasis on them by practicing and reviewing frequently.
- Take notes for revision. Prior to the exam, reviewing the crucial subjects is beneficial.
- Keep up on current events and news to maintain your general awareness.
Masters in Hospital Management Syllabus
The syllabus for the course is broken down into tabular forms below by semester.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Foundation course philosophy of research||Organizational behaviour|
|Social science perspectives on health||Human resource management and labour legislation|
|Basic economics and health economics||Materials management|
|Research Methodology I||Management accounting|
|Research Methodology II||Organization and administration of supportive services|
|Introduction to epidemiology and biostatistics||Organization and administration of clinical and super speciality services|
|Principles of health services management||Hospital planning|
|Evolution of health services||–|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Operation research||System development and information resource management in hospitals|
|Health insurance||Medical technology management|
|Strategic management in health care settings||Marketing management|
|Legal framework for hospitals||Financial management|
|Management of medical staff, clinical services, and medical committees||Business development strategies|
|Quality management||Project work|
Masters in Hospital Management: Top Colleges
The following list includes the Top Colleges offering a Master’s in Hospital Management:
|COLLEGE NAME||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration||Hyderabad||INR 1,40,000|
|Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences||Hyderabad||INR 50,000|
|ICFAI University||Kochi||INR 37,500|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||INR 8,400|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore||INR 59,700|
Masters in Hospital Management College Comparisons
Comparisons of the best colleges offering the MHM course
|Parameters||Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research University||Pratap University||Universal Business School|
|Overview||Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research University (DPSRU) offers UG, PG, and Diploma courses. The university also offers a PhD program in Pharmacy at the Doctorate level. It is affiliated with the Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research (DIPSAR).||Pratap University, Jaipur, established in the year 2011 with the permission of the Rajasthan Government, offers admissions both to domestic and international students. Pratap University, better known as PU, offers multiple courses in various streams like Engineering, Management, Humanities, Information Technology, and Pharmacy.||Universal Business School (UBS) is ranked as Top 4 ‘Truly Global B-schools in India’ by the Times of India and ranked at 5 among Mumbai Private Institute by Outlook – ICARE India Rankings: Standalone Institutions.|
|India Today Ranks||1||2||3|
|Top Companies||–||Genpact, HCL, Birla soft, Su-Kam, Microsoft, Oracle, and others||LG, Reliance Jio, Makemytrip, Justdial, ITC Ltd., Indusind Bank, DHFL, HDFC Bank, and others|
Course Comparisons: MHM vs MHA
After completing a health administration course of study that covers the management of hospitals and other healthcare organisations, public health consulting, and infrastructure, students are awarded the Master in Health Administration (MHA), a 2-year professional master’s level degree. Following are comparisons between MHM and MHA:
The differences between MHM and MHA are displayed in the following table: –
|Full-Form||Masters in Hospital Management||Master in Hospital Administration|
|Average Course Fees||8,000 to 1,40,000 INR||3,50,000 INR|
|Average Starting Salary||1 lakh to 10 lakhs||30,000 to 50,000 INR|
|Eligibility Criteria||Any Stream would be considered||Science stream in relevant subjects|
|Minimum Fees||74,000 INR||1.1 Lakhs|
Masters in Hospital Management Jobs
There is a critical need for people with professional qualifications in hospital management due to the growing emphasis on patient happiness and healthcare quality both domestically and overseas.
Related Courses for Masters in Hospital Administration
- Hospital and Healthcare Management
- MBA Hospital Management
- An MBA in Healthcare Administration
Following is a list of some of the well-known career paths available to such postgraduates, along with the associated wages offered for each position.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY IN INR|
|Healthcare Finance Managers||These professionals oversee the day-to-day financial activities of healthcare institutions and are responsible for budgeting, financial planning, financial analysis and reporting of daily financial activities. The job is highly dynamic and requires managers to be constantly updated about the latest insurance and healthcare financing regulations and options to allow efficient payment handling.||INR 9,56,000|
|Medical And Health Service Management||Medical and Health Service Managers are involved in planning, directing and coordinating all healthcare services provided by the healthcare service provider to ensure timely and efficient delivery of all the services.||INR 3,36,000|
|Hospital Administrators||Hospital Administrators ensure that all the services provided by their healthcare institution run smoothly and effectively, and patients receive timely treatment. Hospital Administrators are also responsible for the recruitment of staff including doctors, interns and nurses. In larger hospitals, there may be multiple administrators in charge of specific departments.||INR 4,14,000|
|Medical Director||Medical directors are in charge to ensure proper and timely administration of treatments at clinics, hospitals, blood banks and more. They take care of any kind of grievances any patient might have and are responsible for the assignment of staff for each patient. Medical Directors are often in charge of medical ethics and they look after the transparency of the organization they work in.||INR 2,09,000|
|Blood Bank Administrator||Blood Bank Administrators are responsible for the proper evaluation of inventory and coordination of all operational functions of a blood bank. They provide operational oversight to the three most important functions of a blood bank- receipt, storage and delivery.||INR 4,80,000|
|HR Recruiter||HR Recruiters oversee the recruitment of new staff including nurses, doctors and assistants at hospitals, nursing homes, blood banks, medical clinics and other healthcare institutes. HR Recruiters at medical facilities are responsible for maintaining a healthy atmosphere at the workplace and they also ensure the staff abide by all the rules and regulations of the facility and that medical professional carry out their duties ethically and responsibly.||INR 1,94,00|
Scope of Master of Hotel Management
There is huge scope for students after the completion of the Master of Hotel Management as this industry provides job opportunities on various job profiles. After completion of postgraduate, candidates can work in the hotel industry along with different airlines as well as in different colleges and universities.
Some of the job profiles students can work on after completing their Masters in Hotel Management are mentioned below for reference.
Catering Supervisor: The job of a cooking administrator is to plan and facilitate all aspects of providing food. They mastermind gatherings with customers to talk about what they need for the occasion. They oversee and manage administrative exercises, sanitation, and money-related duties. They are devotedly associated with the board and staff and help in making financially sound decisions which can create positive outcomes and profit for the respective organization.
Accommodation Officials have aptitudes in administration, cooperation, correspondence, and dynamic and critical thinking so as to complete their errands. They are accountable for administering activities related to lodgings, resorts, hotels, or eateries. These positions require some industry experience and, furthermore, some administrative experience.
Hotel Manager: Hotel Managers are the ones who hold the responsibility to oversee representatives, staff, and administrations. They plan, market, organize and direct different lodging tasks, for example, providing food and convenience and emergencies to name a few.
Chef: This is one of the most fascinating job profiles in the hotel industry. People who are passionate about cooking always opt for this job profile. One of the major responsibilities of a chef is to serve flavoursome cuisine to the guests. They always try to innovate with new dishes and cuisines and improve presentation skills. Chefs also play an important role in deciding the menu of the hotels. There are different grades of chefs in a hotel, such as head chefs, executive chefs, pastry chefs, and many more.
On most occasions, they assume supervisory jobs on a major scale. They handle everything about the occasion, like booking a venue, arranging a food menu, and controlling the spending limit.
Marketing Executive: They are otherwise called Advertising Officials or Promoting Facilitators. They take an interest in creating advertising efforts so the administration, item, occasion or crusade can be advanced or promoted among the majority.
The prime obligation of an air lodge group staff is to give brilliant client assistance to travellers. They need to guarantee a traveller’s solace and wellbeing over the span of the flight. They get experience in thorough preparing and client-managing classes before they become locally available. They are educated to manage security and crisis circumstances that may emerge during the flight and can regulate emergency treatment for travellers.
The top companies that hire MHM (Masters of Hotel Management) graduates on a regular basis are mentioned below. These names are only for reference as there are several companies that hire MHM postgraduates.
- Ambassador Group of Hotels
- Mansingh Group of Hotels
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
- Peerless Group of Hotels
- Sarovar Park Group of Hotels
- Sinclairs Group of Hotels
- Best Western Group of Hotels
- Casino Group of Hotels
- Clarks Group of Hotels
- Fortune Park Group of Hotels
- ITDC Group of Hotels
- Jaypee Group of Hotels
Careers Opportunities after MHM
The hotel industry is one of the most booming industries, which raises the demand for skilled people in this industry. The rise in demand shows ample career opportunities for freshers as well as for those who have a few years of experience. Students can work as entrepreneurs with their work experience in the hotel industry. Students who completed their masters in hotel management get hired by top hotel groups in India. Some students seek their career opportunities abroad after getting work experience in the hotel industry. To grow in a career in the hotel industry, students are advised to have excellent interpersonal skills and a warm, welcoming attitude so that clients are bound to be with your firm.
Nowadays, youngsters are way too passionate about becoming pastry chefs. This means huge growth in career opportunities in the baking industry. Young minds are taking this industry to a higher level with their innovation and creativity.
Master of Hotel Management (M.H.M) Best Books
Check the important books for the Master of Hotel Management (M.H.M) provided in the table below.
|Guide for Hotel Management 2021||Arihant Experts|
|Hotel Front Office Management||James A. Bardi|
|The Heart of Hospitality: Great Hotel and Restaurant Leaders Share Their Secrets||Micah Solomon|
|Hotel Management and Operations||Denney G. Rutherford|
|Food and Beverage Service||R. Singaravelavan|
|Hotel Management and Operations||Michael J. O′Fallon and Denney G. Rutherford|
Masters in Hospital Management FAQ
Ans. For people interested in learning about hospital management, healthcare administration, and health services administration, it is a fantastic course. Graduates of the programme are equipped for managerial and administrative positions in healthcare organisations such as hospitals, clinics, emergency rooms, and other related settings.
Ans. It all depends on the student. If a student is interested in the course, pursuing it will be simple for them; but, if they are not, pursuing the course will be challenging.
Ans. Yes, there have been some modifications made to the date of the admissions test. For more information, visit the college’s website.
Ans. Yes, definitely any student with a graduation degree in any subject can take admitted to this course.
Ans. Yes, there is a significant difference between the two programmes, with MHM being focused on hospital management, healthcare administration, and health services administration while MBA being done on management and commerce.
Ans. It cannot be determined because the MBA serves in different streams and MHM serves in different streams.
Ans. No, student from any field—be it commerce, the arts, the humanities, or science—can apply for admission to this programme.
Ans. Yes, Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research University, New Delhi, is a reputable college for MHM.
Ans. No, it is not appropriate and it is not permitted for a student to enrol in one course at a time for a full-time course.
Ans. No, no university is offering MHM from distance learning until maybe in the future universities can provide it.