A postgraduate biochemistry course is known as M.D. Biochemistry or Doctor of Medicine in Biochemistry. The course will take three years to complete. The study of the structure, composition, and chemical reactions of substances in living systems is known as biochemistry. Dentistry, general medicine, and veterinary medicine all use biochemistry. Biochemists working in the field of food science investigate ways to develop abundant and affordable sources of nutritious food varieties, determine the chemical composition of foods, develop methods to extract nutrients from waste products, and invent ways to extend the shelf life of food products. Biochemists study the interactions of herbicides with plants in the field of agriculture.
Assistant Professor, Tutor Demonstrator – Physiology Biochemistry Anatomy, Biochemistry Consultant, Biochemistry Laboratory Technician, and other positions are common for MD Biochemistry graduates. In India, the average monthly salary offered to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 30,000 and 90,000, depending on the candidate’s expertise and the hiring organization’s reputation.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
M.D. Biochemistry: An Overview
Given here are the basic highlights of the course.
|Course Name||M.D. in Biochemistry|
|Level of Course||Doctorate|
|Duration of Course||3 years, full- time/ Distance learning|
|Stream of Course||Biochemistry|
|Type of Examination||Yearly/Semester|
|Eligibility Criteria||MBBS/BAMS with minimum 55% marks in aggregate|
|Process of Admission||Entrance exam + Group Discussion/Personal Interview|
|Average Fee for the Course||INR 10 K to 15 Lacs|
|Average Salary in the beginning||INR 2.5 to 20 Lacs|
|Top Areas of Recruitment||Biocon, Natural Remedies,Apotex, Monsanto, Molecular Connections, Himalaya Drugs, Sami Labs, Dr. Reddy’s Labs, Cipla, Connexions, Jubilant Life Sciences, Avesthagen, Gangagen, Abexome, Radiant Research labs, Microlabs, Sortorius, Triesta Life Sciences, etc.|
MD Biochemistry Eligibility
Applicants must have completed an M.B.B.S or B.A.M.S with a minimum aggregate score of 55 percent and a one-year mandatory internship as a minimum criterion of eligibility. A minimum aggregate score of 60% at the graduation level is also required.
For admission to a course, candidates are frequently required to pass an institute, state, or national-level entrance exam.
MD Biochemistry Syllabus
The major components that make up the course’s curriculum are listed below.
|Introductory Biochemistry & molecular Biochemistry|
|Biochemistry of body metabolism|
|Biochemistry of hormones, vitamins, minerals, enzymes & Clinical biochemistry|
|Recent advantages in Clinical Biochemistry & Biochemical methodologies|
|Long case study|
|Short case study|
|Standard Curve/Paper Chromatography/TLC|
MD Biochemistry Admission Procedure
The admissions process for M.D. in Biochemistry programs varies by institute. Some institutes hold their own entrance exams for admission, while others choose students based on their grade point average from a recognized college or university.
MD Biochemistry: Important Entrance Exams
- CMC Vellore PG Medical Entrance Exam (CMCV)
- The AIIMS PG Medical Entrance Exam
- JIPMER PG Entrance Exam
- The NEET PG Entrance Exam
- The PGIMER Entrance Exam
- COMEDK PGET PG Entrance Exam
- MU OET PG Entrance Exam
MD Biochemistry: Focus Areas
- The goal of the MD in Biochemistry course is to prepare qualified candidates to effectively use appropriate learning resources and critically evaluate relevant published material. In order to practice evidence-based biochemistry, the course also extends learning in the literature. Students learn how to demonstrate competency in basic concepts of research methodology and epidemiology, as well as how to practice biochemistry while adhering to professional ethics principles.
- ability to write reports in a clear and concise manner.
- Work with restorative and and and and nursing personnel, practicing doctors, and paramedics as a teacher-trainee.
- Understand national health programs and contribute to them.
- For experimental purposes, design, fabricate, and use indige and ous and met and ods and gadgets.
MD Biochemistry: Suitable Candidates for the Course
- It is also a good fit for applicants who want to learn bio-organic chemistry, protein chemistry, bioanalytical chemistry, bio-separations, regulatory biochemistry, enzymology, hormonal chemistry, calorimetry, and research methods and equipment operation.
- It’s a good fit for those who want to concentrate on the chemistry of living systems, their fundamental chemical substances and reactions, as well as their chemical pathways and information transfer systems, with a focus on carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids.
MD Biochemistry: Top Foreign Country’s
The following is a list of the top countries that offer MD Biochemistry opportunities to graduates:
- United States
- New Zealand
MD Biochemistry: Top Institutes
Some of the best institutes in India that offer the course are listed below.
|NAME OF THE INSTITUTE||LOCATION||AVERAGE ANNUAL TUITION FEES|
|ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES||NEW DELHI, DELHI NCR||1,944|
|CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE||VELLORE, TAMIL NADU||1,17,000|
|ARMED FORCES MEDICAL COLLEGE||PUNE, MAHARASHTRA||64,400|
|KASTURBA MEDICAL COLLEGE||MANGALORE, KARNATAKA||12,50,000|
|MAULANA AZAD MEDICAL COLLEGE||NEW DELHI, DELHI NCR||10,000|
|JAWAHARLAL INSTITUTE OF POST GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH – [JIPMER],||PONDICHERRY||6,200|
|LADY HARDINGE MEDICAL COLLEGE||NEW DELHI, DELHI NCR||10,000|
|MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE||CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU||13,667|
|GRANT MEDICAL COLLEGE||MUM.D.I, MAHARASHTRA||82,400|
|SRI RAMACHANDRA UNIVERSITY||CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU||14,00,000|
|GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE||AMRITSAR, PUNJAB||11,000|
|LOKMANYA TILAK MUNICIPAL MEDICAL COLLEGE||MUM.D.I, MAHARASHTRA||86,825|
|CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE||LUDHIANA, PUNJAB||1,33,000|
|OSMANIA MEDICAL COLLEGE||HYDERABAD, TELANGANA||66,666|
|BYRAMJEE JEEJEEBHOY GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE – [BJMC], PUNE||PUNE, MAHARASHTRA||72,650|
|INSTITUTE OF POST GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH||KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL||10,000|
|BANGALORE MEDICAL COLLEGE AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE||BANGALORE, KARNATAKA||95,000|
|SMS MEDICAL COLLEGE||JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN||6,000|
|GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE||SURAT, GUJARAT||14,000|
|GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE||THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA||61,667|
MD Biochemistry: Preparation Plan
The MD Biochemistry course is a promising career path, and students who are interested in pursuing it should start studying as soon as possible. The following are some pointers for candidates preparing for MD biochemistry admission:
- Understanding Concepts: It is recommended that students gain a better understanding of concepts. It is critical to understand the exam’s syllabus in order to prepare effectively.
- Students must have a thorough understanding of the pattern in order to perform well on the exam. Time management is essential to answer all of the questions or to answer the questions that they are certain about.
- Once candidates are familiar with the syllabus and pattern, they should devise an effective exam preparation strategy and put it into action.
- Exercise: Reviewing the topics is also an important part of the preparation process. Make a list of the most important points that were covered in class and use good study materials.
MD Biochemistry: Important Book Recommendations
When pursuing a master’s degree, students should always consider investing in reference books. These books can assist them in learning more about their area of expertise in greater depth. These books are available for purchase, rental, or download. The following are some of the most popular MD Biochemistry books that students can purchase:
|Book Name||Author’s Name|
|Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry 31st Edition||David A. Bender and Victor W Rodwell|
|Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry: International Edition||David L. Nelson and Michael M. Cox|
MD Biochemistry: Areas of Employment & Opportunities
Successful postgraduates of the M.D. in Biochemistry program who wish to pursue further studies in the discipline may pursue post-doctoral studies in the subject, such as an M.Phil. or PhD, in order to pursue teaching as a profession. They can find lucrative work in research institutes, agriculture-based industries, chemical manufacturing industries, forestry departments, laboratories, dietetics, hospitals, and other areas in both the public and private sectors.
Chemical manufacturing industries, petroleum industries, agro-chemical companies, brewing and pharmaceuticalfood industry all have opportunities for such graduates, not only for innovating production methodologies, but also for examining quality control and safety of existing ones.
Research Analyst for biochemical experimentation in food science, zoology labs, hormone production, plant science departments, vaccine research, immunology, or virology, Assistant Professor, Tutor Demonstrator, Consultant, Laboratory Technician, Customer Lab Service Associate, Research Scientist, Junior Resident, Business Development Executive, Trainee Medical Coder, Medical Technologist are the career prospects often considered suitable for the Program.
The following are some of the most common professional paths open to such postgraduates, along with the salaries and job responsibilities associated with each:
|Title of Job||Description of Job||Average Salary |
|Assistant Professor||Post-secondary instructors typically teach courses in their field of study, as well as work with and evaluate students.||2,32,263 – 9,13,657|
|Consultant||Consultants work for specialists or human services offices as self-employed individuals. Restorative counselling administrations are among their responsibilities.||2,80,779 – 1,089,430|
|Laboratory Technician||In restorative or logical research centers, lab technicians are gifted specialists who work with complex frameworks or perform exceptionally specialized mechanical or analytic tests. Lab technicians may collect, consider, and perform tests on body fluids, teeth, synthetic mixes, natural examples, and other items.||1,19,592 – 5,41,072|
Some other important areas of Employment
- Heavy Chemical Industries
- Indian Civil Services
- Agricultural Research Services
- Assistant Professor
- Medical Laboratories
- Customer Lab Service Associate
- Biotechnology Firms
- Food Institutes
- Chemical Industry
- Medical Technologist
- Business Development Executive
- Research and Development Firms
- Chemicals Manufacturing Companies
- Laboratory Technician
- Colleges/ Universities
- Junior Resident
- Petroleum Companies
- Seed and Nursery Companies
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Industrial Laboratories
- Medical Research
Some Famous Names in the Field of Biochemistry
Many biochemists and graduates all over the world have made a name for themselves by applying their knowledge. Biochemists play an important role in our society, so they must be well-versed in their fields. The following are some of the most well-known graduates:
- Jennifer Doudna
- Frederick Sanger
- Linus Pauling
- Louis Pasteur
- Emmanuelle Charpentier
MD Biochemistry: Important Skills Required
MD Biochemistry graduates should be able to immediately learn technical and problem-solving skills. They should have strong analytical skills and be innovative in their approaches. The following are some of the skills that MD Biochemistry graduates should have:
- Complex Problem-Solving Skills
- Team Management
- Good Technical Skills
- Strong Risk Assessment Skills
- Strong Analytical Skills
- Critical Thinking
MD Biochemistry: Benefits and Scope
- M.D. Biochemistry can help scientists recognize, address, and overcome biomedical problems at the molecular level. The themes of molecular mechanisms, molecular structure, and molecular regulation recur throughout the biochemistry faculty’s diverse research areas.
- The course can also help you prepare for higher education, such as a PhD
- They can also work as teachers and lecturers in both private and public schools and colleges.
- Candidates who earn a Doctor of Medicine in Biochemistry have a thorough understanding of the composition, structure, and chemical reactions of substances found in living systems. Graduates will be able to spend the majority of their time seeing patients and developing clinical answers to questions rooted in anatomical/structural, biochemical, and patho-physiological mechanisms.
- A Doctorate of Medicine in physiology opens the door to a variety of financially rewarding job opportunities.
- It is also a good fit for applicants who want to learn, protein chemistry, bio-analytical chemistry,bio-organic chemistry bio-separations, regulatory biochemistry, and research methods and equipment operation.
MD Biochemistry is a three-year postgraduate program that focuses on the structure, composition, and chemical reactions of substances found in living organisms.
Cell cycle control, cancer molecular biology, and genetic diseases are some of the topics covered. Their final grades are determined by their performance. This program is designed for biochemists interested in pursuing a career in biochemical disease research and therapeutic medicine.
After completing medical school and receiving the doctor of medicine degree, some biochemists pursue a doctoral degree in biochemistry (M.D.). Scientists who want to conduct certain types of human research must have medical training.
After completing a B.Sc. in Biochemistry, you will not be able to pursue an MD in Biochemistry. To be eligible for admission to the MD Biochemistry program, you must have completed an M.B.B.S degree from a reputable medical college that has been approved by the MCI.
MD Biochemistry Career Opportunities and Job Scope:
Physiology, Biochemistry, and Anatomy: Tutor Demonstrator
Assistant Professor – Clinical Biochemistry
BIOCHEMISTRY LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
Microbiology Biochemistry – Customer Lab Service Associate
Analytical Biochemistry: Research Scientist
Biochemistry has a wide range of applications, including teaching in medical and dental schools, clinical research, the pharmaceutical industry, pathology labs, nutrition biochemistry, and so on. There are numerous opportunities available both domestically and internationally.
Biochemistry has expanded our understanding of how biochemical changes relate to physiological changes in the body in physiology, the study of body function. It assists us in comprehending the chemical aspects of biological processes like digestion, hormonal action, and muscle contraction-relaxation