Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling: A postgraduate education course is the M.A. in Career Counseling or Master of Arts in Career Counseling. The program primarily emphasizes therapies and methods of behavioral modification. The M.A. in Career Counseling program aims to develop a pool of qualified career counselors who can function independently in both academic and professional settings. This in-demand, career-focused program was created to give students the scientific assessment methods, modern assistive technologies, and counseling skills they need to provide their expert services to a variety of clientele, including the special population. By evaluating their passions, values, and abilities to explore career options that may result in a career change or professional growth, career counselling professionals help others reach their potential.
Any prestigious university will accept graduates who wish to pursue an MA in Career Counseling. While some colleges require entrance exams, most colleges base their admission decisions for their MA in Career Counseling programs on merit. The average cost of the course is between 7,000 and 100,000 Indian rupees.
Students who successfully complete the course can pursue a one-year postgraduate diploma in guidance and counseling to work as career counselors in India. Graduates of the Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counseling program typically earn between INR 3-6 LPA in salary.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling Quick Facts
|Admission Process||Merit / Entrance Test|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Average Fees||INR 2,000 – 7,000|
Why Study MA Career Counselling?
Some of the top motivations for pursuing an MA in Career Counseling include the following:
- Growing industry: The counseling sector is expanding. For its 40 billion students, India needs about 15 lakh career counselors. Therefore, enrolling in a career counseling course will help you break into a competitive and expanding field.
- High pay: A career as a counselor is one that pays well. A career counselor can expect to make between INR 2,00,000 and INR 4,00,000 as a fresh graduate. For a qualified and experienced counselor, the salary may reach INR 6,00,000.
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling Admission
Below is a description of the application process for the Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counseling.
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling: Admission 2022
- Students are chosen or admitted based on merit or the results of entrance exams.
- In the case of merit-based admission, bachelor’s grades are taken into account. The college then publishes a cut-off list, and students who meet the criteria are eligible for admission.
- Some colleges, including Rajiv Gandhi National Youth Development and Bharathiar University, hold the entrance exams.
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling Eligibility
Prerequisites for a Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career counseling include the following:
- The applicants must have passed the 10+2 exam or a comparable test.
- A bachelor’s degree in career counseling or another relevant field, like psychology or applied psychology, is required of the candidate.
MA Career Counselling: Skills Required
These are the requirements for the MA in Career Counseling entrance exam.
Rajiv Gandhi national institute of youth development entrance exam
For postgraduate programs, the institute holds an entrance examination. The exam has a maximum score of 50 and lasts for one hour. There are three sections in the entire paper.
- 30 marks for general knowledge and current events
- 5 points for youth development
- Sociology: 15 points
M.A. Career Counselling Syllabus
The entire Career Counseling syllabus is listed in the table below.
|Semester One||Semester Two|
|Essential Of Psychology||The Positive Psychology Of Youth|
|Quantitative Research Method||Qualitative Research Methods|
|Theories Of Career Developments||Essential Of Psychology|
|Career Counselling And Guidance||Career Development Through The Lifespan|
|Psychology Assessment||Counselling Theories, Skills, Techniques|
|Understanding Youth||Occupational Information|
|Semester Three||Semester Four|
|Training And Development||Human Resource Development|
|Counseling Skills For A Community-based Counsellor (Elective )||Professional Development Of Career Counselling (Elective )|
|Practicum Career Counselling And Guidance||Guidance And Employment Counselling (Elective )|
|Career Development In A Social Context (Elective)||Mental Health And Employee Counselling (Elective )|
|Women And Career Development (Elective )||Organizational Behaviour (Elective )|
|Group Counselling For Special Population (Elective)|
|Group Counselling Process And Skills (Elective)||–|
|Educational And Vocational Guidance For Socially Disadvantage (Elective )||–|
|Career Assessment And Profiling||–|
MA Career Counselling Distance Education
|Lovely Professional University||5750|
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling Colleges
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Kanchipuram
MA Career Counselling College Comparison
|Particulars||Bharathiar University||Rajiv Gandhi Youth Development|
|Naac Grade||A Grade By Naac||–|
|Owned By||Private Institute||Government Institute|
M.A. Career Counselling Course Suitability
- The program is appropriate for those who want to start their own counseling practice, but they may discover that there are few options for the insurance company and state reimbursement.
- The ability to choose and use appropriate career interventions, techniques, and assessments should be a requirement for candidates.
- Additionally, they are capable of using logic and reasoning to evaluate the merits and drawbacks of various solutions, conclusions, or methods for solving issues.
How is M.A. Career Counselling Course Beneficial?
- The course aids in creating a counselor’s professional orientation and sense of self.
- Making an electronic portfolio of your work to show prospective employers is also beneficial.
- They may also serve as a career counseling class instructor.
M.A. Career Counselling Employment Areas
- Colleges & Universities
- HR Departments
- Career Counselling Agencies
- Private Coaching Centres
- Employee Assistance Programs
M.A. Career Counselling Job Types
- Teacher & Lecturer
- Multicultural Counsellor
- School Counsellor
- Career Counsellor
- Community Agency Counsellor
- Human Resource Development Specialist
|Job profile||Salary (INR)||Job description|
|Teacher /lecturer||2,00,000 to 6,00,000||Teaching students to deal with problems related to their career|
|School Counsellor||3,00,000 to 6,00,000||Design curriculum to aid students in exploring their careers. Also help in the admission process, scholarship searching, and transition from school to college.|
|Education counselor||2,00,000 to 4,20,000||Helping students in choosing the right course for their career and future goals.|
|Career counselor||3,50,000 to 5,00,000||Aiding students to build their careers by choosing the right career, college, and course according to their personality, aptitude, and interest.|
|Admission counselor||4,00,000-6,00,000||Assist students in applying for colleges, courses, applying for scholarships, and help in decision making related to admission to college/course for a student.|
Advanced Courses in M.A. Career Counselling
- M.Phil. (Career Counselling)
- Ph.D. (Career Counselling)
Entrance Examination Preparation tips
- The student should be well-versed in the exam’s syllabus and scoring methodology.
- Create a thorough study schedule.
- Prepare your daily revision notes.
- Review the subject’s fundamentals using the NCERT or bachelor’s books.
- Candidates can also watch online videos to finish the curriculum.
- The candidates should begin taking online practice tests after finishing the syllabus to get a feel for the questions.
- The practice test would aid the candidate in quickening their pace, identifying their errors, and fixing them.
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling Top Colleges Abroad
|QS Ranking||College Name||Average Fees (INR)|
|147||University of Auckland||18,39,263|
|25||University of Toronto||22,34,000|
|601||University of Alabama||10,58,750|
|458||University of Saskatchewan||8,03,261|
|1001||Western Michigan university||9,83,174|
|436||University of Canberra||33,41,386|
|416||Goldsmiths University of London||40,54,192|
|47||University of Queensland||30,65,974|
|551-600||University of Manitoba||14,02,217|
|106||University of Adelaide||40,64,520|
|651-700||Edith cowan university||35,64,145|
|375||University of Waikato||24,67,403|
|1001-1200||University of sunshine coast||28,95,868|
|801-1001||Texas tech university||11,64,976|
|801-1000||Florida international university||26,86,609|
|1001-1200||University of Mississippi||27,73,108|
|801||Portland state university||13,44,923|
Master of Arts [M.A.] in Career Counselling: FAQs
After completing high school, it takes about 6 years to become a career counselor in India. 3 years of high school, 2 years of master’s, and 1 year of post-graduate study
to earn a bachelor’s degree in counseling or a field closely related to it, such as psychology or human resources, for example.
The students should pursue a master’s degree in either psychology or career counseling after they have completed their undergraduate studies.
Students are required to earn a diploma in guidance and counseling once they have finished their master’s degree coursework.
In India, a master’s degree in psychology or career counseling is required to become a certified career counselor. This is followed by a diploma in guidance and counseling.