After completing their post-graduate program, students pursue an M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering, which is a pre-PhD degree. The course is completed after four semesters, two in each year. Candidates who want to learn more about material science and how it affects the real world should take this course. After completing the Master’s Degree, a pre-doctoral program titled “Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) is pursued.
Candidates will learn excellent mechanical engineering skills, as well as technical drawing and computing skills, which are required in the design of machines and equipment during the course.This is a multi-disciplinary course that allows students to gain knowledge, develop strengths, and explore and research mechanical engineering. The study involves both theoretical and practical aspects.
Graduates can work as HVAC Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Services Engineers, and Construction Manager Engineers.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: An Overview
|Level of Course||Post Graduate level|
|Duration of Course||2 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester System or Yearly System|
|Eligibility Criteria||A Master or Graduation degree in any discipline with 40%-50% minimum marks or equivalent GPA|
|Process of Admission||Entrance-exam based or Merit-Based (varies as per the institute)|
|Fee for the Course||From INR 30,000 up to INR 90,000|
|Average Annual Salary||From INR 30,000 up to INR 1,00,000 per month|
|Top Hiring Firms||Railways, Bosch, TATA, Mahindra, Cummins, Ambuja|
|Positions of Job||HVAC Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Services Engineer, Construction Manager Engineer|
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering Eligibility
The basic eligibility criteria for a Master of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering are as follows:
- Interested candidates must have a Master’s or Post-Graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized and approved university OR any of its equivalents from a known and recognized institute with a minimum aggregate score of 40%–50%.
- A few institutions/colleges may take into account a candidate’s individual score in each subject, and some may judge based on the candidate’s entrance test score.
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
|Reverse Engineering||Database Management|
|Manufacturing Systems||Work system design|
|Computer-Aided Manufacturing||Precision Engineering|
|Modern manufacturing systems||Design|
|Low-Cost Automation||Advanced Theory of Elasticity|
|Advanced Materials & Processing||Tribology Friction and Wear|
|Technology Management||Biomedical device design|
|Convective Heat Transfer||System Design|
|Conduction and radiation||Vibrations|
|Advanced Trends in Heat Exchanger||Micro Electro Mechanical Systems|
|Advanced Topics in I C Engines||Mechatronics|
|Reliability Engineering||Heat Power|
|Modelling of Manufacturing Systems||Computational Welding Mechanics|
|Metal Forming||Composite Materials|
|Advanced casting technology||Material handling and plant layout|
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering Admission Procedure
Depending on the institute, the admissions process is either merit-based or entrance-based. Several other admissions rounds, such as interviews and group discussions, may be conducted by a few of the institutes.
Based on Merit
Candidates can apply to colleges that offer Masters of Philosophy (M. Phil) in Mechanical Engineering admissions both online and offline by following the steps outlined below.
- The interested candidate must either go to the institute’s official website to fill out an online application form or go to the institute’s campus/admission office to fill out a Masters of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering admission application form.
- Then, according to the instructions, he or she must fill out the application form and upload (if online) or present (if offline) the required attested documents and photocopies in the prescribed dimensions.
- After other admission rounds such as group discussions and personal interviews, the final list of selected candidates or merit list is released after the processing of applications (if any).
Based on Entrance
- The entrance exam will be required of all candidates who are interested.
- He or she must be accompanied by the required documents and essentials as specified.
- A merit list of selected students is released once the candidate qualifies for the entrance exam by receiving a valid score.
M.Phil Mechanical Engineering: Important Documents Required
- passing/degree certificate of the last qualifying degree examination.
- A character certificate (from the head of the institute from which the student has obtained his qualifying degree)
- Research Proposal
- Gap certificate (if applicable)
- Mark-list of the last qualifying degree examination
- Documentary proof of the date of birth
- Migration Certificate (No objection certificate from the university last attended)
- No objection certificate from the employer (if employed)
Students should be aware that if the aforementioned certificates are not attached to their application, their application will not be taken into account for admission.
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: Focus Areas
- The M.Phil. in Mechanical Engineering allows students to study and become familiar with the fundamental terms and concepts of mechanical engineering.
- The course also teaches the application of these principles to skills such as physics, mathematics, mechanics and their components, and material science.
- Some of the topics covered include advanced machining, micro and nano-fabrication, and laser engineering.
- The study employs both a theoretical and a practical approach.
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: Top Institutes
The top M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering colleges are listed below.
|Institute Name||Average Annual Fees|
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Srinagar||INR 60,000|
|Mangalayatan University, Aligarh||INR 50,000|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad||INR 20,000|
|Shivaji University, Kolhapur||INR 16,374|
|CSMU, Navi Mumbai||INR 91,100|
|Jadavpur University, Kolkata||INR 20,000|
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: Distance Programs
Apart from the traditional mode of Masters of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Mechanical Engineering education, distance education is also popular in India. The completion of this distance education program will take at least two years. To be eligible to apply for the distance mode course, interested candidates must have a postgraduate degree or its equivalent. Admission to distance-learning Masters of Philosophy (M. Phil.) in Mechanical Engineering programs is usually based on merit (post-graduation level).
Several colleges across India provide distance education for the program, including:
- NIT Srinagar
- Shiva Ji University
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: A Comparison among Institutes
|Basis of Comparison||Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj University||NITSRI|
|Highlight||The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj University (CSMU) is a private university on the outskirts of Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, that is recognised by the UGC and the Maharashtra government.||The National Institute of Technology, Srinagar (NITSRI) was founded in 1960 as the Regional Engineering College, Srinagar, and is a public engineering and research institution in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India.|
|Process of Admission||Entrance-based||Entrance-based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 91,100||INR 60,000|
|Average Salary Per Annum||INR 3 LPA||INR 7.31 LPA|
|Top Employers||Bajaj FinServ, Idea, Reliance, Jio, Outlook Group,Axis Bank, HCL, Style.me,Airtel, PP News, Efficax Engineers, Fit India Trust, Wipro, etc.||Satyam Computers, Tata Tele Services, HPCL, Tata Motors,Tata Consultancy Services, L&T-ECC, Mahindra & Mahindra, and many more.|
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: Preparation Plan
- If candidates want to be admitted to any institute that offers merit-based admission, they must achieve a good cut-off score in their previous qualifying examination as well as a valid score in the entrance exam.
- Candidates should also go to the official websites of the colleges to stay up-to-date on the course curriculum, entrance exam dates, admission process, and so on.
Key Differences between M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering and M.Phil in Aerospace Engineering
A comparison between M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering and M.Phil in Aerospace Engineering is provided below to assist you in making a better career decision.
|Basis of Comparison||MPhil Mechanical Engineering||MPhil Aerospace Engineering|
|Highlight||Candidates for the M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering study the implementation and execution of mechanical device and product design, construction, and development, such as engines and machines. The most common fields of employment are research and development, engineering, and manufacturing.||Students pursuing an M.Phil in Aerospace Engineering study a defined field of engineering related to the design and development of aircraft. Their two main branches are aeronautical engineering and astronautical engineering.|
|Process of Admission||Merit-based/Entrance exam Based||Merit-based/Entrance exam Based/Followed by an interview round|
|Eligibility Criteria||A master’s or postgraduate degree in any discipline (preferred Engineering) with a minimum grade point average of 40% – 50%.||A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or a master’s degree in a relevant subject with a minimum of 55 percent or an equivalent.|
|Duration of Course||2 Years||1 Year|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 30,000 – 1 Lacs||INR 40,000- 2 Lacs|
|Average Salary |
|INR 50,000 – 90,000 Per month||INR 65000-85,000 per month|
M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering: Top Job Profiles
|Roles of Job||Description of Job||Average Annual Salary|
|Mechanical Engineer||This person is in charge of making changes to engineering apparatus and equipment as well as executing different designs.||INR 46,000 per month|
|Process Engineering Manager||The person in this position is in charge of leading the team in charge of manufacturing and designing various plant processes and equipment.||INR 65,000 per month|
|Design Engineer||The person in this position is in charge of developing new designs and manufacturing processes.||INR 25,000-35,000 per month|
|Research and Development Manager||This person is in charge of leading a team of employees in managing an organisation and developing new products and services.||INR 1 LPA|
|Service Maintenance Engineer||The person in this position is in charge of ensuring that engineering product designs are unique.||INR 2 LPA|
|Systems Engineering Manager||Working with a team of engineering managers to implement new ideas and technology is the responsibility of the person in this position.||INR 90,000 per month|
|Construction Engineer||This person is in charge of supervising and managing all engineering teams and projects at various construction sites.||INR 12 LPA|
|HVAC Mechanical Engineer||This person is in charge of installing, maintaining, and repairing air conditioners, refrigerators, and other heating and cooling systems.||INR 30,000 per month|
|Plumbing Mechanical Engineer||The person in this position is in charge of designing and manufacturing high-quality plumbing products.||INR 45,000-50,000 per month|
Some other important areas of employment are
- chemical, electronic, steel plants.
- executive engineer, mechanical engineer
- power plants
- Colleges and universities
- Junior engineer, assistant engineer
Benefits and Scope of M.Phil in Mechanical Engineering
Once the Masters of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering course is completed,
- The candidate can apply for a variety of jobs, such as mechanical and construction engineers, with MNCs or organisations, or start their own business.
- If interested in teaching or any other specialization, interested candidates can pursue further specializations such as a PhD or a B.Ed. course.
- Any student who has completed a Masters of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering is eligible for higher or further education, according to the government.
Yes, there are fast-track courses available. It does, however, necessitate a greater amount of effort.
Interested candidates must have earned a master’s degree in engineering. Few colleges, however, may accept applicants with other graduate degrees.
Yes, most institutes provide scholarships and financial aid to students pursuing a Masters of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering degree. For more information on the institutes’/colleges’ scholarship policies, students should go to the official website or the main campus.
Yes, for the Masters of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering program, SC/ST students should expect a 5% reduction in the cut-off score. It differs depending on the institute.
The M. Phil. in Mechanical Engineering program takes a maximum of three years to complete
Students must have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognized institution to be eligible for M.Phil Program. This course has no age restrictions.
A PhD can be obtained without an M.Phil, but an M.Phil adds value to your research and may even be beneficial. However, if you want to complete your research quickly, you can pursue a doctorate degree right away.
No, you will not be able to pursue M. Phil after completing your B.A. program. To be eligible for M.Phil, you must first complete your master’s degree.
After completing their postgraduate degree, candidates pursue a full-time M.Phil, which is a two-year research course.
M. Phil. graduates can pursue successful careers in law, academic research, private industry, national organisations, human services, and other fields. Additional research opportunities in the form of a PhD are also available.
The University Grants Commission (U.G.C) was established on December 28, 1953, and became a statutory organisation of the Government of India in 1956, with the purpose of coordinating, determining, and maintaining standards of teaching, examination, and research in higher education.
It is not necessary to pursue an M.Phil in order to work as a lecturer. Lecturers must have a master’s degree and pass the National Eligibility Test (NET) or SLET to be considered. As a result, to become a Lecturer, candidates must pass the NET/SLET exam.