The Diploma in Automobile Engineering, also known as the Polytechnic in Automobile Engineering, is a three-year programme designed to provide students with the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to work in the automotive industry.
It is a fundamental course that a student can pursue after completing their Class 10 studies and before continuing on to higher education. During the course, the applicant will have the opportunity to learn about skills such as installation, maintenance, and problems related to automobiles, their devices, and equipment.
A applicant seeking a diploma in Automobile Engineering will be well-versed in designing, testing, and comprehending the parts and functions of various automobile components, which will aid them in landing a job in the industry. Those who wish to continue their education can apply for direct admission in the second year of their bachelor’s degree.
Mechanical engineering, software engineering, safety engineering as applied to design, electronic engineering, manufacture and operation of automobiles, and their respective subsystems are among the topics covered in the course.
Applicants can work as Automobile Engineers, Product Engineers, and Design Engineers, among other positions.
Table of Contents
Diploma in Automobile Engineering Course Highlights
The table below lists the highlights of the Diploma in Automobile Engineering:
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester-Type|
|Eligibility||Class 10th with 60%|
|Process of Admission||Merit or Entrance Based|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||TATA Motors, JBM Auto, TVS Motor Company, Vehicle Service chains, Mahindra and Mahindra, Yamaha Motor, Hero Motocorp, Bajaj Auto|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2.4 LPA|
|Job Positions||Automobile Engineer, Designer (CAD), Material specialist, Technician, Inspection and Quality Control professional|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering Eligibility Criteria
The following are the minimum requirements for applying for a Diploma in Automobile Engineering:
- The applicant must have completed Class 10 at a recognised institution.
- He or she must have studied Science and English in high school, with Mathematics as one of the subjects; the minimum percentage required for admission is 50% in Class 10th.
- Applicants who qualify for the sports quota, as well as those who are disabled or belong to a reserved category, are given a break.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Admission Process
Aspiring applicants intrigued in pursuing a Diploma in Automobile Engineering must fill out an application and complete the admission process at the respective institute.
- Merit-based or entrance-based admission to the Diploma programme in Automobile Engineering is available.
- Most Indian institutes accept merit-based admission to the Diploma in Automobile Engineering programme, which is followed by counselling.
- Some prestigious institutes, on the other hand, may hold their own admissions examination.
- JET, GVSAT, GLAET, and other major entrance exams are among those taken into consideration for admission.
- Aspirants for this course through the college’s website or by requesting an application form from the admissions office.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering Syllabus
In most Indian institutes, the Diploma in Automobile Engineering is a three-year programme with a six-semester academic curriculum. The following is the Diploma in Automobile Engineering semester-by-semester syllabus: –
- Applied Physics I
- Applied Chemistry I
- Applied Mathematics I
- Basics of Information Technology
- Engineering Drawing I
- English and Communication Skills
- Applied Physics II
- Applied Chemistry II
- Applied Mathematics II
- Engineering Drawing II
- Environmental Studies
- Applied Mechanics
- Automobile engineering Drawing
- Thermal and Hydraulic engineering
- Electrical and electronics
- Automotive materials
- Auto Engine
- CAD in automobile engineering
- Strength of Material
- Chassis body and transmission
- Workshop technology
- Auto Electrical and Electronics equipment
- Auto engine II
- Auto Repair Maintenance
- Basics of management
- Basics of design
- Auto Repair Maintenance II
- Vehicle and transport management
- Elective subjects
- Tractor and heavy machinery
- General and entrepreneurship skills
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
Students preparing for admission through an entrance examination should follow the advice listed below:
- Make a plan for how you’ll split your time between school and engineering exams. This will help you figure out what to research and when to do it.
- It is critical to look after your health. Reduce your intake of fatty foods and increase your intake of antioxidant-rich foods. Drink plenty of water on a daily basis.
- It is suggested that you read only the books required for the entrance exams.
- Determine how many hours or days you’ll devote to each subject based on its difficulty level and your own strengths and weaknesses.
- Solve the sample papers provided by your coaching institutes or consult the question papers from previous years’ entrance exams.
- Rather than memorising terms, study them to gain a better understanding of them. When you have a good understanding of concepts, you can easily answer any question, and the information stays with you for a long time.
- In physics, chemistry, and mathematics, there are numerous formulas, equations, and terminologies. Learning them on a regular basis is the most effective way to remember them.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: How to Get Admissions in a Good College?
It is not difficult to gain admission to a college, but it is extremely difficult to gain admission to a top college with multiple entrance exams and selection processes. Here’s a checklist for getting into a good college:
- To get good grades in high school, students must focus on their studies.
- Take as many extracurricular subjects as you can to improve your skills and your chances of getting into a good college.
- Work on your personality to improve your attitude and body language.
- Keep track of all important dates and deadlines. Exam deadlines, times, and other information are regularly updated and published in all major newspapers. It’s crucial to keep track of all of these developments.
- Regardless of your grades, personal interviews will put your abilities to the test.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: What is it About?
- Automobile engineering combines mechanical, electrical, electronic, software, and safety engineering elements in the design, manufacture, and service of automobiles, buses, and trucks, as well as their subsystems.
- The course prepares students for a deeper understanding of automobiles, design, manufacturing, customer relationships, market analysis, and sales and management from a broad perspective.
- Automobile design, vehicle engineering, electrical and electronic systems used in vehicles, braking, material science, engines, fuels and lubricants, and other topics are covered in the Diploma in Automobile Engineering programme.
Why Study Diploma in Automobile Engineering?
- When compared to other types of engineers, automobile engineers earn a lot of money. They have some job security when they first start gaining experience.
- Automobile engineering is a prestigious profession. Millions of cars are on the road in every corner of the globe, and car engineers are the ones responsible for that.
- Automobile engineers are enthusiasts who want to work in the automotive industry. They must have a strong grasp of mechanics, electronics, and mathematics, as well as a keen interest in these subjects. Automotive engineers must be well-organized and able to work in a systematic manner.
- India is on the verge of expanding in this sector and is regarded as one of the leading two- and three-wheeler manufacturers in terms of growth and production.
- Automobile engineering is booming, and the addition of more features to this field is at an all-time high.
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Course Comparison
The following is a comparison of the courses Diploma in Automobile Engineering and B.Tech Automobile Engineering:
|Parameters||Diploma in Automobile Engineering||B.Tech Automobile Engineering|
|Course Duration||3 years||4 years|
|Area of Focus||The Automobile Engineering Diploma programme is designed to teach students the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to work in the automotive industry.||The course provides knowledge and experience in developing innovative ideas and techniques, production methods, and architecture in the field of automobiles so that new product models can be developed and existing ones can be upgraded with cutting-edge technology.|
|Criteria of Admission||Merit or Entrance Based||Merit or Entrance Based|
|Criteria of Eligibility||Class 10th with 60%||10+2 or equivalent in physics chemistry and mathematics with 50-70% qualified CET scores|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 2,00,000||INR 2-5 LPA|
|Job Options||Automobile Engineer, Designer (CAD), Material specialist, Technician, Inspection and Quality Control professional||Product Engineers, manufacturing engineer, development engineer, R&D executive, Managers and Deputy officers and directors, automobile dealers|
|Areas of Employment||Maruti Suzuki India Ltd., Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., Tata Motors Ltd., Hero Moto Corp Ltd., Bajaj Auto Ltd.||Tata Motors, Mahindra & Mahindra, Daimler India Ltd, Honda, and Tata Consultancy Services|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2.4 LPA||INR 2-7 LPA|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Top Colleges
The following are some of the top colleges that offer a Diploma in Automobile Engineering:
|Name of the College||Average Course Fee||Average Salary Offered|
|Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions (DBGI)||INR 42,500||INR 6-7 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University (LPU)||INR 1,77,000||INR 4-5 LPA|
|Aryabhatta Knowledge University||INR 42,200||INR 6 LPA|
|Integral University||INR 1,35,000||INR 3 LPA|
|Sanskriti University||INR 1,26,000||INR 2-3 LPA|
|PGP Polytechnic College||INR 25,000||INR 2 LPA|
|Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University||INR 1,50,000||INR 15 LPA|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: College Comparison
The following table shows the comparison made between the two top colleges:
|Parameters||Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions (DBGI)||Lovely Professional University (LPU)|
|Course Overview||Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions has a placement rate of 73 percent after five years. Undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses in Engineering, Science, and Management, among other disciplines, are available at the Dehradun Institute.||Lovely Professional University (LPU) is a North Indian semi-residential university college. At the diploma, dual degree diploma, postgraduate diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels, the university offers over 300 courses in a variety of specialisations.|
|Average Fees||INR 42,500||INR 1,77,000|
|Average Package||INR 6-7 LPA||INR 4-5 LPA|
|Top Companies Visited||Capgemini, HCL, Apollo Pharmacy, L&T Infotech, Accenture, Gemini Solutions, Just Dial, OYO||Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Cognizant, Accenture, etc|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Syllabus
The following is the complete syllabus for the Diploma in Automobile Engineering programme.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Applied Mathematics I||Automobile Mechanics|
|Applied Science Lab||Automobile Workshop Practice|
|Auto Electrical and Electronics||Automobile Workshop Tech|
|Auto Repair and Maintenance||Automotive Engine Auxiliary Systems|
|Automobile Chassis and Transmission||Automotive Engines|
|Automobile Machine Shop||Automotive Estimation and Costing|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Automotive Pollution and Control||Engine and Vehicle Testing Lab|
|Basic Computer Skills lab||English Communication|
|Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Power Plant|
|C Programming Lab||ISAP Lab|
|CAD Practice||Machine Design and Theory of M/Cs|
|Computer-Aided Engineering Graphics||Mechanical Testing Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Modern Vehicle Technology||Thermal Engineering I|
|Motor Vehicle Management||Vehicle Maintenance|
|Organizational Management||Vehicle Maintenance Lab|
|Project, Industrial Visit, and Seminar||Foundry, Welding and Sheet Metal Practice|
|Special Vehicle and Equipment||–|
|Strength of Materials||–|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Job Profiles
It is impossible to imagine a world without automobiles, and as the automobile industry expands, so do job opportunities. There are numerous opportunities in manufacturing, service stations, transportation firms, and security facilities. Motorcycles, trucks, and other vehicles are designed and manufactured by automobile engineers.
In the table below, some of the most well-known job profiles in automobile engineering are listed:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Package|
|Automobile Engineer||The job entails designing, manufacturing, and operating automobiles. Mechanical, electrical, software, and safety engineering are all used in the design and manufacture of buses, bikes, trucks, and other vehicles and machines.||INR 6,26,201|
|Design Engineer||Design engineers research, develop, and create new product and system concepts. They also change existing products or processes to improve productivity or performance.||INR 3,71,560|
|Production Engineer||Implementing production processes and procedures, as well as leading efficiency improvements through project-based initiatives, such as the introduction of new products and the design of manufacturing cells to reduce waste, improve quality and safety, and lower operating costs.||INR 2,98,665|
|Material specialist||Material specialists are in charge of testing and ensuring that raw materials meet the required specifications. The expert also oversees the manufacturing process and provides quality control advice to production engineers in order to track material reactions.||INR 3,70,500|
|Technician||An Automotive Technician is responsible for the repair and preventive maintenance of automotive machinery. The success of emission tests, vehicle diagnostic testing, and the replacement of worn parts are among the responsibilities.||INR 2,45,496|
|Inspection and Quality Control professional||Quality management inspectors inspect almost all manufactured goods for compliance with quality standards. They rely on a variety of instruments to carry out their duties. Others, however, use hand-held measuring instruments like callipers and alignment gauges, among other things.||INR 2,59,877|
|Associate Manager||Associate Managers are in charge of ensuring that retail stores communicate effectively with store and corporate management. Revenue maximisation, staff scheduling, customer service enhancement, and employee organisation are all part of the job.||INR 5,83,950|
Diploma in Automobile Engineering: Future Scope
After completing the Diploma in Automobile Engineering, one can pursue a Bachelor’s Degree (B.E./B.Tech.) in Automobile Engineering. In most Degree Engineering colleges, a number of seats are reserved for Diploma holders.
- After that, one can pursue an M.E./M.Tech. programme or a Ph.D. to further their education. Candidates may also choose to work as a lecturer or a professor in engineering colleges or universities. However,
- Diploma holders with good grades can take advantage of lateral entry and enrol in the second year of the B.E./B.Tech. Automobile Engineering programme (directly).
- If you’re looking for a management programme, consider enrolling in an MBA programme!
Diploma in Automobile Engineering FAQ’S
What is the duration of the course Diploma in Automobile Engineering ?
A three-year diploma in automobile engineering is available.
What are the popular specializations related to Diploma in Automobile Engineering ?
Quality Management, Language and Literature, School Leadership & Management, and Pottery & Ceramics are some of the most popular Diploma specialisations.
What is the average fee for the course Diploma in Automobile Engineering ?
The annual fee for a Diploma in Automobile Engineering is approximately INR 10000.
I want admission in Diploma in Automobile Engineering. Do I have to clear any exams for that ?
Some of the exams you can take to get into Diploma in Automobile Engineering courses are the Chhattisgarh Pre-Polytechnic Test, Delhi Common Entrance Test, Assam Polytechnic Admission Test, Haryana Diploma Entrance Test Lateral, and Andhra Pradesh Polytechnic Common Entrance Test.
What are the top colleges offering Diploma in Automobile Engineering courses ?
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (Nagpur), Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (New Delhi), Indian Institute of Technology (Chennai), Indian Institute of Technology (Mumbai), Indian Institute of (Bhubaneswar). On our website, you can look up these colleges to see if they offer a Diploma in Automobile Engineering.