The B.Sc. in Operation Theatre Technology is a foundational degree programme that covers ethics, operating room planning, and controlling the many components of surgical equipment. An operating theater assistant should be present in the operating room to support physicians and nurses during surgery. Prior to the operation, they must specialize in all surgical equipment, clean these vital gadgets, and follow the surgeon’s directions throughout surgery.
Candidates will learn how to care for patients before and after surgery in this programme. They’re also informed about how to use the sterilization and disinfection technique to assist surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses in maintaining sterility in operating rooms. Learners can pursue both core and elective subjects, making the programme extremely flexible and diverse. In addition, the programme includes laboratory sessions that allow students to apply their skills in a practical setting. Plastic surgery, general surgery, gynecological surgery, neurosurgery, and urology are all performed by operation theater technologists at India’s hospitals.
Table of Contents
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Operation Theatre Technology
- Students must pass a 10+2 examination in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English with a 50 percent cumulative (including Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as a whole) from a recognized institution.
- The minimum scores for reserved category students in all of the above programmes are 40%.
- Each of the three subjects mentioned above must be passed in a single try by the student.
- Admission is not available to students who are presently registered in another programme. It is a full-time, regular programme. Students who finish or withdraw from the programme before the day of counselling, on the other hand, will be considered for admission.
What is the procedure for applying to the BSc Operation Theatre Technology programme?
The following is the procedure for applying to the BSc Operation Theatre Technology programme:
- Acceptance to the BSc Operation Theatre Technology programme is determined by the student’s performance on the entrance examination.
- The schedules for the distribution of registration forms have not yet been announced. For candidates, only the online application mode is accessible.
- To be admitted, you must meet all of the admission standards.
The following is the entrance-based enrollment method for BSc Operation Theatre Technology:
- Check the institution’s website for further information.
- Finish the mobile number and email id sign-in and verification procedure.
- After you’ve correctly enrolled, you’ll need to log in again with your login credentials.
- Fill out the online application.
- All educational certificates, such as mark sheets, admit cards, and migration certificates, should be uploaded (if any)
- Pay the application fees with a debit card, credit card, or net banking after completing the application form. You can also pay using a demand draught if you prefer to pay offline.
- After you’ve made your payment, fill out the application form.
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Course Overview
The below are some of the features of the BSc Operation Theatre Technology course:-
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Operation Theatre Technology|
|Examination Type||Semester and Annual|
|Eligibility||12th /Higher Secondary in Science stream|
|Admission Process||Entrance based and merit-based|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 –INR 10 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 2 lakhs -10 lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Bombay Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Fortis Hospital, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, AIIMS, New Delhi, Dr. LH Hiranandani Hospital.|
|Job Positions||OT Technologist, Lab Technician, OT Assistant, Associate Consultant, and Teacher and Lecturer|
What is it about the Course in B.Sc Operation Theatre Technology?
These formal health practitioners are also known by the designations Operating Theatre Technicians (OTT), Surgical Scrubs, and Operating Room Assistants. They work with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and nurse to offer outstanding patient care throughout the surgery.
As you will have the opportunity to work under the supervision of doctors, nurses, anaesthetists, and other junior doctors, this programme will assist you to enhance your personality and improve your professional as well as interpersonal skill. After earning a master’s degree, you can work as a teacher or lecturer in the subject.
This education is also beneficial for obtaining high-paying jobs. You will be able to acquire a job at a reputable hospital if you finish this curriculum with exceptional grades and from a respectable college. You will be able to receive a handsome package that includes other benefits.
What are the Benefits of a BSc in Operation Theatre Technology?
The following are some of the advantages why you should pursue this BSc in Operation Theatre Technology: –
- This programme will help you gain confidence and develop knowledge and skills to meet by giving you the opportunity to work under the supervision of doctors, nurses, anaesthetists, and other junior doctors.
- After earning a master’s degree, you can work as a teacher or professor in the subject. This education is also beneficial for obtaining high-paying jobs. Leading hiring firms always provide attractive packages to qualified individuals.
- You can learn skills like how to clean surgical instruments, how to guide an anaesthetist, what measures to take for a patient post-surgery, and when to give support and encouragement to a patient both before and after surgery while taking this programme.
- If you choose, you can pursue an M.sc in Operation Theatre Technology degree and work as a teacher or professor at health centres and healthcare facilities in the future. In the same curriculum, you will have the opportunity to train future workforce.
- Candidates can learn about the many advantages of taking this course. Some skilled technologists have the opportunity to work in hospital emergency rooms and intensive care units (ICUs) at a variety of hospitals and healthcare facilities. They will have the potential to work alongside skilled doctors and nurses, allowing them to learn new things every day.
- This education is also beneficial for obtaining high-paying jobs. You will be able to acquire a job at a reputable hospital if you finish this programme with exceptional grades and from a respectable college. You will be able to receive a handsome package that includes other benefits.
What are the Entrance Exams for BSc Operation Theatre Technology?
The following are the most essential BSc Operation Theatre Technology admission exams:-
- NIMS School of Paramedical Sciences and Technology Entrance Exams: For UG programmes, the National Institute of Medical Sciences holds an entrance examination.
- Tech Mahindra SMART Academy for Healthcare Entrance Exams: For Undergraduate programs, this entrance exam is held in New Delhi and Mohali.
- University of Technology Entrance Exams: This entrance exam is held to get admission to UG and PG programmes.
Important dates for the entrance exams of the BSc Operation Theatre Technology course are as follows:
|Entrance Test||Mode of Examination||Duration||Availability of Application||Date of Examination||Date of Result|
|NIMS School of Paramedical Sciences and Technology Entrance Exams||Online||2 hours||Not declared yet||Not declared yet||Not declared yet|
|Tech Mahindra SMART Academy for Healthcare Entrance Exams||Online||2 hours||Not declared yet||Not declared yet||Not declared yet|
|University of Technology Entrance Exams:||Online||2 hours||Not declared yet||Not declared yet||Not declared yet|
Best BSc Operation Theatre Technology Colleges
The following are the best BSc Operation Theatre Technology colleges, together with their annual degree prices, annual placement package, and top recruitment companies: –
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)|
|AIIMS||New Delhi||Entrance based||INR 425|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||Entrance based||INR 23,280|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||Entrance based||INR 1,00,000|
|Government Medical College||Amritsar||Entrance based||INR 1,65,000|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||Entrance based||INR 50,000|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore||Entrance based||INR 19,970|
|Baba Farid University||Faridkot||Merit-Based||INR 30,000|
|Maharashtra University||Nashik||Entrance based||INR 23,000|
|Institute of Medical and Research Centre||Mangalore||Entrance based||INR 1,14,000|
|Siksha-O-Anusandhan University||Bhubaneshwar||Merit-Based||INR 85,000|
BSc Operation Theatre Technology Syllabus
The following table depicts the BSc Operation Theatre Technology curriculum:
|1st year||2nd year||3rd year|
|Physiology||Medicine Outline||CSSD Procedures|
|Biochemistry||Clinical Microbiology||Anesthesia for specialty surgeries|
|Principles of Management||Basic Anaesthetic techniques||Basics of Surgery|
|Pathology||Applied Anatomy and physiology||Regional anesthetic techniques|
|Basics of Computer||Clinical Pharmacology|
|Anatomy||Principles of Anaesthesia|
Career Scope in BSc Operation Theatre Technology
The below are some of the job opportunities available to graduates of the BSc Operation Theatre Technology program:-
- The majority of operation theatre technologists are recruited from hospitals and healthcare institutes. As a specialist, they may have the opportunity to work in operating rooms, hospital emergency departments, and intensive care units (ICUs).
- After finishing a BSc Operation Theatre Technology programme, candidates can work as an OT technician, Lab Technician, OT Assistant, Associate Consultant, or Teacher /Lecturer. Students must complete a master’s degree programme to qualify for the teaching profile.
- Individuals with a BSc in Operation Theatre Technology can work in hospitals and nursing homes after completing this programme. The majority of reputable private hospitals and nursing homes attend to recruit, and the odds of landing a job in a private hospital are excellent. Graduates can, meanwhile, apply for government employment as they become available.
The following are the BSc Operation Theatre Technology occupations, as well as their job descriptions and average salaries: –
|Name of the job profile||Description of the job profile||The average salary in INR|
|Lab Technician||Accountable for the Lab’s upkeep and management.||2 lakhs-3 lakhs|
|Anesthetist Consultant||During an operation, you’re in charge of delivering the proper level and quantity of anaesthetic to the patient.||3 lakhs-4 lakhs|
|Teacher and Lecturer||Responsible for intensively educating university students about the OT technology course.||6 lakhs-7 lakhs|
|Associate Consultant||Client relations are the responsibility of this person.||5 lakhs -6 lakhs|
|OT technician||Before surgery, it is your responsibility to keep the OT rooms and surgical items of equipment in good working order.||2 lakhs-3 lakhs|
Salary of a B.Sc. Graduate in Operation Theatre Technology
According to Payscale, an Operation Theatre Technology graduate can expect to earn INR 5 LPA on average. This compensation is determined by a variety of criteria, including the amount of job expertise individuals have, their degree of education, and where they live.
Future Scope BSc Operation Theatre Technology
The following is a list of the upcoming BSc Operation Theatre Technology scope:-
- This curriculum is quite rigorous, and students who complete it will have a lot of opportunities in the future. They can even enrol in a master’s degree programme to further their knowledge as an operating room technologist.
- As you will have the opportunity to work under the supervision of doctors, nurses, anaesthetists, and other junior doctors, this course will assist you to enhance your personality and improve your scientific as well as interpersonal skill.
- After earning a bachelor’s degree, you can pursue a master’s degree in this field. By obtaining a PhD after completing the MSc, students would be qualified to teach at any medical institutions or institutes as a teacher/lecturer.
FAQ’s for BSc Operation Theatre Technology
An Operation Theatre Technician is in charge of supporting doctors and nurses during surgery and disinfecting all surgical instruments prior to the procedure.
This is a 3-year full-time degree course.
All of the guidelines that must always be implemented in the operating room by doctors and staff for the patient’s safety are referred to as OT protocol.
A decent annual package for an operation theatre technologist is INR 2-INR 7 LPA.
No, you will not be able to complete this course through remote learning.