B.P.Ed: Bachelor of Physical Education is a three-year undergraduate programme that teaches about body care and development. Part-time and distance learning options are available, but most institutes offer regular B.P.Ed courses to facilitate sports and physical training. The course is extremely beneficial for people who want to pursue a career in sports or become fitness trainers. This course requires a love of games and a desire to participate in sports. The All India Council of Physical Education facilitates all B.P.Ed. courses.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
Overview of B.P.Ed Course
Some of the highlights of the B.Pl.Ed Course are listed below:
|Duration of Course||1-4 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Candidates must have passed 10+2 examinations from a recognized board or must possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university.|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or entrance exam|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Entrance Exams||BHU UET, ITM NEST, LPU NEST|
|Fees per year||INR 10,000 to INR 60,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2.5 Lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs|
|Job Profiles||Physical education teacher, sports trainer, personal trainer, gym trainer, soft skill trainer, yoga trainer, coach commentator, sports journalist, fitness in charge, etc.|
|Top recruiting companies||Narayana, Pathways School, Delhi Public School, Revolution Sports Pvt.Ltd, Sports Focus Investments|
B.P.Ed Course: Introduction
Sports are no longer regarded as a leisure activity in India. The massive investment in various sports and related fields has resulted in a renaissance in the Indian sports industry. Full form of B.P.Ed Bachelor of Physical Education is one such course that prepares students for a variety of sports-related careers. The B.P.Ed Syllabus is designed in such a way that it not only trains candidates in the methodology of various sports, but also in other soft skills such as leadership, teaching practise for a better understanding of the students’ psyche, and many more.
Eligibility Criteria for B.P.Ed Course
Students seeking admission to the course must meet the eligibility criteria listed below. Because the course is offered for different lengths, the eligibility varies according to the length of the course.
- Students who have completed their 10+2 examinations with a minimum of 50% marks from any recognised board are eligible for the 3 to 4-year course. The number varies from college to college. In some cases, the minimum 12th grade point average can reach 60%.
- Candidates must be at least 17 years old to be admitted to the 3 to 4 year courses.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree from a recognised college or university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks are eligible for 1- to 2-year courses. The minimum percentage may differ from one college to the next. In some cases, the minimum number can be as high as 60% or higher.
- Candidates must be between the ages of 19 and 25 to be admitted to the 1 to 2 year course.
- Aside from the aforementioned criteria, one must pass the physical screening round as well as the personal interview round held by the college or university.
- One must also have prior sports experience and have competed in sports competitions at the inter-college, inter-school, or individual levels.
- Admission to the 1-2 year course is open to both male and female candidates, but some colleges prefer male candidates.
Admission Process for B.P.Ed Course
Admission to the course is granted either through an entrance exam or on the basis of merit. Banaras Hindu University and Lovely Professional University are two universities that hold their own entrance exams to select students for admission to their programmes. A summary of the admissions process is provided below.
- Candidates must submit applications to the colleges or universities in which they are interested.
- Typically, the admissions process begins in June and July. However, the admission process has been postponed due to the pandemic and the subsequent cancellation of the 12th examination. While some colleges use a common entrance exam to select students, others rely on the student’s performance in the qualifying examination.
- In the case of an entrance exam, students must score higher than the minimum qualifying score set by the college or university.
- The college administration may also conduct a separate physical screening test. The test is used to assess a person’s physical fitness and capabilities. Long Jump, Vaulting Horse, Trench, Hurdle, Race, and other activities may be included in the test.
- The colleges or universities then declare the results and release a merit list of candidates who were finally shortlisted based on the written test and physical efficiency test.
- Furthermore, some colleges or universities hold personal interviews with students before extending the final offer letter of admission.
- The final allotment of seats to candidates occurs following the admission process, and the candidate is required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
- In the case of merit-based admission, the candidate’s qualifying examination score is taken into account when granting admission.
Benefits of Pursuing B.P.Ed Course
The B.P.Ed Course teaches candidates about different sports management methodologies, principles, and sociology of sport, as well as how to develop communication skills that will allow them to guide students more effectively. Some of the details that would help us understand why B.P.Ed courses are important are as follows:
- Exponentially Growing Field: India’s sports industry is expanding at an exponential rate. It is expected to grow at an 18% CAGR until 2022, making it one of India’s fastest growing sectors and creating job opportunities for various sports managers, trainers, and coaches.
- Job opportunities: The B.P.Ed course not only prepares students for careers in sports training and coaching, but also in auxiliary fields such as commentator, Sports Journalist, Commentator, sports administrator, and many more.
- Good pay and other benefits: Most B.P.Ed graduates are hired as coaches, trainers, instructors, and other positions. B.P.Ed candidates are hired by government organisations such as the Sports Authority of India, the Athletics Federation of India, AIFF, and others. The average salary ranges between INR 500,000 and INR 600,000 per year, with some positions paying up to INR 12-15 Lacs per year. Private institution salaries are also quite competitive, with people earning in excess of INR 300,000 per year. Other benefits provided by the government and private institutions include insurance, medical and dental benefits, retirement benefits, and many more.
- Opportunity to turn entrepreneur: After completing the B.P.Ed course, B.P.Ed candidates have the option of establishing their own academy or training programme. In India, there are over 5000 private sports academies or coaching centres that provide training to aspiring athletes.
- Job satisfaction: A B.P.Ed graduate’s job is to train candidates in various sports. Individuals gain enormous job satisfaction when their athletes win any competition at any international level.
Entrance Exams for B.P.Ed Course
Admission to the course is granted either through an entrance exam or on the basis of merit. There may also be a physical screening round. In the case of an entrance exam, the candidate’s test score and the score obtained in the physical screening round are combined to form a cumulative score.
Some of the most popular entrance exams for admission to the course are listed below.
- Banaras Hindu University holds the BHU UET to select candidates for admission to BA, B.Sc, B.Com, B.Ed, B.P.Ed, LLB, B.VSc, BPA, BFA, and other degree programs.
- The entrance examination lasts 90 minutes and consists of 100 questions worth 300 points.
- The exam would be conducted entirely online.
- The application fee for unreserved categories is INR 400 and INR 200 for reserved categories.
Dibrugarh University Exam
- Dibrugarh University administers this state-level entrance exam. The exam is used to admit students to various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
- The entrance examination will be administered in an offline mode, using pen and paper.
- This university only offers two-year B.P.Ed programs.
- Candidates must have a graduation degree in any discipline and have participated in sports at the intercollege/zonal/district/school level. In addition, candidates with a bachelor’s degree in sports or a related field must have at least a 45 percent marks
- The entrance examination consists of a written test of 30 marks, a fitness test of 30 marks, a sports achievement of 20 marks, and a qualifying exam of 20 marks.
- ITM-NEST is a test administered by ITM University Gwalior to select students for admission to various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes.
- The entrance examination would be computer-based and conducted online.
- The entrance exam lasts 90 minutes and consists of 100 multiple-choice questions.
- The application fee is INR 1100 ( INR 1000 for the application form and INR 100 for registration)
- The Lovely Professional University’s entrance examination is the LPUPET.
- Candidates must have completed their bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% in the overall aggregate and have participated in any school, district, college, or national level competition recognised by the AIU/ IOA/ SGFI/ Government of India.
- Candidates with a Bachelor of Physical Education degree must have a graduation with 45 percent marks.
- Candidates must register at least three days prior to the entrance exam.
- The examination would be proctored online.
Pattern of Entrance Exams
One of the most important factors in performing well in any entrance exam is being familiar with the most recent exam pattern. As a result, in order to develop a clear understanding of the exam pattern, one should conduct extensive research on it. Aside from that, one should be familiar with the entire syllabus of the entrance exam. In almost all entrance exams for admission to the B.P.Ed degree programme, there are four sections.
- General knowledge and current affairs
- General English
- Basic science
- General aptitude and logical reasoning
To perform well in any entrance exam, follow the advice given below:
- The entrance exam paper is typically made up of multiple-choice questions. Negative marking is not used in most exams, but some do.
- The entrance exam consists of 10+2 level questions that are simple and basic. As a result, one must be well-versed in the fundamentals.
- Reading comprehension, verbal ability, sentence correction, sentence completion, fill in the blanks, and other skills are typically tested in the English section. Reading as much as possible is the best way to become acquainted with the language. Aside from that, sectional questions from previous year papers and sample papers should be avoided.
- The science section usually consists of questions from the ninth and tenth grades. As a result, one must thoroughly review the science topics covered in these classes.
- Questions on common mental logic are included in the aptitude and reasoning section. To begin, one can begin by attempting to solve simple puzzles. After gaining some knowledge, one can look for sample paper questions.
Top Colleges for B.P.Ed Course
Across the country, various colleges offer B.P.Ed degree programmes. Admission to the course is granted based on the results of an entrance examination and a physical screening test, or on the marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying exam.
The following are some of the top colleges that offer the course:
|Name of the institute||Location||Admission Process||Average Fee|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||LPUPET||INR 1.06 Lakhs|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||BHU UET||INR 10,846|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh University||Meerut||Merit-based||INR 1.17 Lakhs|
|Amity University||Noida||Merit-based||INR 1.52 Lakhs|
|University Of Lucknow||Lucknow||Merit-based||INR 1.02 Lakhs|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||AMU CET||INR 1.9 Lakhs|
|Vinayaka missions University||Salem||Merit-based||INR 48,200|
|SGGS Khalsa college||Hoshiarpur||Merit-based||INR 95,000|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||CUCET||INR 1.1 Lakhs|
|Lakshmibai national institute of physical education(LNIPE)||Gwalior||CET||INR 86,200|
Syllabus for B.P.Ed Course
The B.P.Ed syllabus is structured in such a way that it incorporates both the theoretical and practical aspects of the course. For UGC guidelines, the course follows a semester-based academic calendar. A year is divided into two semesters. The evaluation is based on both theoretical and practical papers. The weightage given to each component may differ from college to college. Because the course is based on sports, a certain amount of weightage is assigned to sports activities.
The following subjects of the B.P.Ed Syllabus have been tabulated below:
For First Year:
|Theory Subjects||Activity Subjects|
|English and Communication Skills – 1||Athletics|
|History and Culture||Gymnastics|
|History of Physical Education||Football|
|Educational Psychology, Guidance and Counselling||Wrestling|
|Applied Anatomy and Physiology||Boxing|
|Weight Training, Weight Lifting, Power Lifting and Best Physique|
|Light Apparatus Activity/ Calisthenics|
For Second Year:
|Theory Subjects||Activity Subjects|
|English and Communication Skills – 2||Athletics|
|Foundation of Physical Education||Badminton|
|Recreation, Camping, Play and Leadership Training||Table Tennis|
|Teaching Methodology in Physical Education||Volleyball|
|Physiology of Exercise||Handball|
For Third Year:
|Theory Subjects||Activity Subjects|
|English and Communication Skills – 3||Athletics|
|Kinesiology and Bio-mechanics||Yoga|
|Measurement and Evaluation||Cricket|
|Applied Computer Education and Statistics in Physical Education||–|
|Sociology of Sports||–|
Recommended Books for B.P.Ed Course
There are several course books that can be used for course study. A few of these recommended readings and course books are listed below:
|Name of the Book||Author’s Name|
|Organization and Administration of Physical Education Recreation and Supervision||Dr. Neeraj Pratap Singh and Dr. Ajay Dubey|
|Officiating and Coaching||Dr. Balwinder Kaur|
|Sports Management||Prof. V. Satyanarayana|
|Sports Nutrition and Weight Management||Dr. Sandeep Bhatia|
|Yoga Education||Dr. Tarak Nath Pramamik|
Job Profiles in B.P.Ed Course
Candidates who have completed B.P.Ed courses can work in a variety of sports-related fields. Physical education jobs are available in schools and colleges. Aside from that, B.P.Ed graduates are hired by various sports clubs and teams to provide training to aspiring athletes. Candidates with strong communication skills and a B.P.Ed can also work as sports journalists.
There is also a lot of opportunity for private training centres for those looking to start a fitness business. Fresh graduates of the course can expect to earn between INR 2.5 Lakhs and INR 3.68 Lakhs per year. The pay is proportional to the amount of experience gained in the field. With increasing inexperience in the field, the salary offered rises.
Following completion of the B.P.Ed. programme, candidates can pursue the following positions:
- Sports Administrator
- Soft Skill Trainer
- Physical Education Teacher
- Umpire/ Referee
- Yoga Trainer
- Sports Trainer
- Sports Photojournalist
- Gym Trainer
- Sports Goods Manufacturing and Marketing Executive
- Fitness In-charge
- Sports Journalist
Future Scope in B.P.Ed Course
Graduates of the course have the option of continuing their education in addition to seeking employment. Any such course can be chosen according to one’s preferences. This provides them with better job opportunities and a more promising career. There are numerous postgraduate courses available in the field of physical education. A few of these courses are discussed further below:
- M.P.Ed: The Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed) is a two-year post-graduate degree programme that allows you to broaden your knowledge in the field of Physical Education. This course is available at a number of colleges and universities based on entrance exam results. To be admitted to this course, you must also have a minimum of 50 percent -60 percent marks in the B.P.Ed course. The annual fee for this course ranges from INR 10,000 to INR 2 Lakhs.
- M.Phil (Physical Education): A Master of Philosophy in Physical Education is a 1-2 year programme. A master’s degree in physical education from a recognised board or university is required to pursue an M.Phil (Physical Education) course. After completing this course, you can expect to earn between INR 3-5 Lakhs per year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Yes, B.P.Ed is also available via correspondence. Annamalai University, Alagappa University, and Madurai Kamaraj University are among the colleges that offer this course via distance learning.
Ans. The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities in India for this course ranges from INR 6,500 to INR 51,000 per year. The fee differs between private and public institutions.
Ans. No, while some colleges do take physical screening test scores into account, there are some that do not.
Ans. No, the B.P.Ed course is not available through IGNOU.