BDes Textile Design: Bachelor of Design in Textile Design, or B.Des (Textile Design), is an undergraduate fashion and interior design programme. Textile Design is the study of the concepts and processes for designing knitted, woven, or printed fabrics, as well as embroidery designs, print, weave, colour detailing, texture, and other related topics. To put it another way, a Bachelor of Design in Textile Design is a degree that focuses on the study of textile design, which is an important part of the fashion industry.
Surface and structural design are both studied in the Bachelor of Design programme in Textile Design. The technical aspects of production, as well as the properties of fibres, yarn, and dyes, are all covered in the Bachelor of Design in Textile Design programme. Interiors (home furnishing) and fabrics for garments and accessories are just a few of the specialised fields studied in Textile Design. The Bachelor of Design course in Textile Design lasts four years and provides applicants with a plethora of opportunities upon completion.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
Overview of B. Des. in Textile Design Course
|Level of Course||Under Graduate|
|Duration of Course||2 years|
|Type of Examination||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 qualification in any stream|
|Process of Admission||Common Entrance Examination for Design, National Council for Interior Design exam, National-level Entrance Aptitude Test (NLAT), NID entrance test, NIFT entrance exam.|
|Top recruiting organizations||ZENPACT, ZARA, Sparsh, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Fashion houses, export houses, media, jewellery houses, and such.|
|Top job profiles||Textile Designer, Fabric Resource Manager, Fabric Analyser, etc|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 3 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs|
B. Des. in Textile Design: Introduction
The programme is designed to provide advanced learning in the following areas to eligible candidates:
- Creating and utilising various textiles for functional purposes.
- Textiles are used extensively in the fashion industry.
- Fabric creation and design of various types.
- Textile sculptures, textiles, and constructed textiles are designed and developed.
- The history of textiles, as well as the aesthetics and touch theories that underpin the field.
- technical expertise and artistic sophistication
- development of a relevant visual investigation attitude
- Intricacies, concepts, and processes of design development, as well as fabric printing and production, are all used in the execution of projects based on design-based research.
Eligibility Criteria for B. Des. in Textile Design
Candidates who want to apply for the course must meet the following requirements:
- 10+2 qualification in any subject from a recognised educational institution.
- At the 10+2 level, a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) is required.
- Candidates who are awaiting the results of their 10+2 examination are also eligible to apply on a provisional basis.
Admission Process for B. Des. in Textile Design
Students are admitted to most institutes offering the course in India based on their performance in a relevant entrance exam. Some institutes also admit students based on their 10+2 academic achievement, while others hold their own entrance exams. The admissions process differs from one college to the next.
Some of the entrance exams for admission to the course that are held in India are:
- Common Entrance Examination for Design
- National-level Entrance Aptitude Test (NLAT)
- NID Entrance Test, NIFT Entrance Exam.
- National Council for Interior Design Entrance Exam
Top Colleges for B. Des. in Textile Design
The top institutes in the country that offer the course are listed below, along with their locations and fees.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|LISAA School of Design||Bangalore||INR 1,70,000|
|Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International School of Textiles And Management||Coimbatore||INR 99,000|
|Singhania university||Jhunjhunu||INR 60,000|
|Tamil Nadu Open University||Chennai||INR 15,600|
|J.D. Birla Institute||Kolkata||INR 4,13,000|
|MKSSS School of Fashion Technology||Pune||INR 3,45,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Gurgaon||INR 2,70,000|
|The Global Open University||Nagaland||INR 24,125|
|Buddha School of Creative Studies||Karnal||INR 1,80,000|
|Asian Academy of Film And Television||Noida||INR 2,25,000|
|Times and Trends Academy||Pune||INR 60,000|
|Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology||Bangalore||INR 1,55,000|
|Karavali Group of Colleges||Mangalore||INR 1,00,000|
|Madras Institute of Fashion Technology||Chennai||INR 2,00,000|
Syllabus for B. Des. in Textile Design
Here is the semester-wise breakdown of the course’s syllabus given below in the table:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Applied science I||Physiology|
|Applied science II||Nutrition food science|
|Life span development||Environment studies|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Current concerns||Family dynamics|
|Extension for development I||Fabric ornamentation|
|Nutrition for life span||Textile science|
|Art design||Basic fashion illustration|
|Practical||Basic of pattern making|
|–||IT in textile science|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Traditional textiles||Textile garment quality control|
|Textile chemistry||Fabric manufacture|
|Fashion apparel design||Fundamentals of apparel merchandizing|
|Principles of management||Theory of knitting|
|Garment production management||Professional application textile science|
|Recent advances in textile science||–|
Career Prospects for B. Des. in Textile Design
Textile design, as a vital component of the fashion industry, is a promising and lucrative career choice because:
- Fashion is becoming increasingly popular.
- Its acceptance as an academic discipline in a number of India’s top universities.
- its importance in meeting the growing demand for Indian textiles in both domestic and international markets
- Its widespread application and relevance in both surface and structural design.
- Woven fabric and texture-based print, such as embroidery designs, are gaining in popularity in today’s society.
- Textile products have a growing market potential.
As a result, such graduates may be able to find work in fields such as:
- Textile manufacturing
- Government-based silk, khadi, handloom, jute, and craft development organizations
- Garment manufacturing
- Fashion designing
Job Profiles in B. Des. in Textile Design
The following is a list of some of the most common professional paths open to successful course graduates, along with the corresponding salaries.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Textile Designer||Textile designers work in the fashion and interior design industries, and their responsibilities may include designing bed linen patterns for rugs, furniture, and towels, among other things. They knit or weave fabrics, specialising in printed fabrics, and their responsibilities can range from simple to complex. Textile designers create yarns, fabrics, trims, and prints, as well as overseeing and managing production schedules. They are also in charge of creating artwork and testing finished products on a professional level.||INR 3,71,000|
|Fabric Resource Manager||Independent work is common among fabric stylists, fabric designers, design assistants, and CAD operators. They have received adequate artistic training as well as marketing and promotion knowledge. Bedding and Bath Suppliers, Furniture Manufacturers, Rug Makers, and Fashion Designers are common recruiters of Fabric Designers. Fabric Design Assistant positions are typically filled by people with prior experience. They may open their own businesses or lead creative departments within larger corporations.||INR 6,00,000|
|Fabric Analyser||Clothes in Style Designers look at industry reports and popular culture to come up with a creative vision that will appeal to customers. Following that, Fabric Analysers creates hand-sketches for approval. They select fabrics and create prototypes to finalise designs. Such Patternmakers create a precise pattern through detailed adjustments to ensure that the finished garments fit properly.||INR 7,00,000|
|Design Consultant||Interior design consultants may specialise in the decoration of interior spaces, as well as architectural details and layout planning. Some commercial and interior designers develop new products or make changes to existing ones. They primarily assist clients in making the most of their living spaces by assisting them with lighting and other fixtures, furniture arrangement, design plans, and colour schemes and styles. In most cases, computer software is used in such procedures. An Interior Design Consultant can work for studios or design firms or be self-employed.||INR 5,00,000|
|Embroidery Designer||A solid understanding of needle arts is required of professional embroiderers, which can be obtained through a certificate programme or a Bachelor of Arts degree with a specialisation in embroidery. They have a thorough understanding of the various computerised embroidery applications that are required for stitching and fabric manipulation. Seminars, private lessons, and institutes that offer such a certificate are all options for obtaining such a qualification. Beading, canvas embroidery, counted thread embroidery, quilting silk, needlework design, and metal thread embroidery are all part of this job.||INR 3,60,000|
Benefits of pursuing B. Des. in Textile Design
- Fashion designers, garment designers, and boutiques are all looking for Bachelor of Design in Textile Design graduates.
- They can work as teachers in institutes that offer Textile Designing training courses after completing the degree programme.
- Reliance Industries, Arvind Mills, Grasim Industries Ltd., Mafatlal Industries Ltd., and other leading garment designers and apparel manufacturers are among the companies that offer this course.
- Government-sponsored and private silk, handloom, khadi, jute, and craft development organisations also offer good job opportunities. Bachelor of Design in Textile Design graduates are in high demand in developed countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia, which are among the top recruiters of textile design professionals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Candidates who want to apply for the course must meet the following eligibility criteria:
10+2 qualification in any subject from a recognised educational institution.
At the 10+2 level, a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) is required.
Candidates who are awaiting the results of their 10+2 examination are also eligible to apply on a provisional basis.
Textile Designer, Fabric Resource Manager, Fabric Analyser are some of top recruiting areas for B. Des. in Textile Design Graduates.
ZARA, Sparsh are some of the top recruiting organizations in Textile Design field.