Drawing, 3D, Visual art, sculpture, storytelling, and other design elements are included in the Bachelor of Design in Animation or B.Des in Animation undergraduate course. B.Des in Animation is a four-year programme that aims to improve the aspirant’s image-making, critical thinking, and storytelling abilities. Students pursuing a B.Des in Animation will learn both 2D and 3D techniques for bringing stories to life.
The B.Des in Animation programme is designed to teach students both traditional and advanced animation and filmmaking techniques. The animation industry is experiencing a surge in the demand for skilled professionals as technology advances. The B.Des in Animation programme equips students with the necessary skills and knowledge in the fields of animation and filmmaking. Students are taught how to develop, defend, pitch ideas, and create creatively organic content for various media such as film, television, and advertising through advanced animation skills.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
Overview of B.Des in Animation
Take a look at the highlights of the B.Des in Animation course:
|Full Name||Bachelor of Design in Animation|
|Short Name||B.Des in Animation|
|Similar Courses||B.Sc in Animation, B.Sc in Animation & Multimedia|
|Level of Course||Undergraduate|
|Duration of Course||4 Years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Qualified 10+2 from a recognised board of education|
|Process of Selection||Either through entrance exam or merit|
|Average Course Fees||2 Lakh-4 Lakh|
|Starting Salary||3 Lakh-6 Lakh|
Eligibility Criteria for B.Des in Animation
To be admitted to the B.Des in Animation programme, students must meet certain requirements. More information on the B.Des in Animation eligibility criteria can be found below.
- Students must have completed a 10+2 or equivalent exam in any discipline, or a State Board of Technical Education-approved 10+3 diploma.
- At the 10+2 level or 10+3 diploma, students must achieve a minimum score of 50% in the general category and 45 percent in the SC/SC/OBC category.
- Students must also pass the National level entrance exam, as well as any other college-level entrance exam, if applicable, for the college or university of their choice.
Admission Process for B.Des in Animation
Each college’s B.Des in Animation admissions process is unique. The image below depicts a typical admissions process that students face after applying for admission to their desired college.
- Certain colleges offer merit-based admissions to students. Candidates with higher qualifying examination scores have a better chance of being accepted into the college.
- Entrance examinations are preferred by the majority of colleges. Some colleges admit students based on a common entrance examination, while others have their own entrance examinations.
Entrance Examinations for BDes in Animation
The top entrance exams for BDes in Animation admissions in India are as follows:
NID DAT: The National INstitute of Design administers the NID DAT entrance exam on a national level every year. Admissions to programmes such as Bachelor of Design (BDes. ), Masters of Design (M.Des. ), and PhD in Design are offered to students who pass this entrance exam.
SEED: Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design [SEED] is a Symbiosis International University Design Aptitude Test for admission to BDes programs at Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID) and Symbiosis School of Planning, Architecture, and Design (SPAD) (SSPAD).
NIFT: NIFT Entrance Exam: The National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) administers the NIFT entrance exam to select candidates for admission to its design programmes, which include the Bachelor of Design (BDes), Bachelor of Fashion Technology (BFTech), Master of Design (MDes), and Master of Fashion Management (MFM), among others.
AIEED: All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED) is the full form of AIEED. It is a national entrance exam administered by ARCH Academy of Design for admission to Undergraduate and Post-Graduate Design programmes.
UCEED: UCEED is a national level entrance examination administered by IIT Bombay for admission to bachelor’s degree programmes in design (BDesign) at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IITDM Jabalpur.
Preparation Tips for BDes Animation Entrance Examination
Students should begin preparing for admission to any of the top BDes Animation colleges a year in advance. Here are a few suggestions:
- Before beginning exam preparation, students should review the syllabus for the specific entrance examination.
- Starting the entrance exam preparation process early allows students to cover all of the important topics on the syllabus and gives them time to go over the entire syllabus again.
- Candidates should practise more application-based questions and solve previous year’s question papers.
- Before taking the actual entrance exam, take some practise tests to help you improve your speed and accuracy.
- Make a proper short note for the syllabus revision so that you can go over it before taking the entrance examination.
Benefits of Pursuing B.Des in Animation
Animation has quickly become one of the most popular and widely available courses. The global demand for animated films, cartoons, and other materials has reached this milestone. These days, many young students are driven by a desire to learn animation. It is in charge of a large portion of the multimedia industry. There are no limitations or restrictions on how much can be accomplished after completing the task.
- Animation is now widely used in a variety of industries, including the information technology and entertainment industries.
- Animation has made significant contributions to the development of visually appealing multimedia clips and graphically rich images for use in films, cartoons, and other media.
- The BDes Animation course teaches candidates the fundamentals of design, such as sketching, drawing, model sketching, and so on.
- The BDes Animation course assists enrolled students in keeping up to date on the rapid advancement of various technologies in today’s market.
- Students with good drawing skills and the ability to think creatively can build a successful and appealing career in animation.
- BDes Animation graduates can work as Animators, Graphic Designers, Video Editors, 3D Modelers, Visual Effect Supervisors, Sound Editors, Character Animators, Layout Makers, and so on.
Syllabus for BDes in Animation
Check out the semester-by-semester syllabus for students pursuing B.Des in Animation.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Sketching and Drawing – 1||Sketching and Drawing – 2|
|Design Fundamentals – 1||Design Fundamentals – 2|
|History of Art and Design||Visualization Techniques|
|Craft Design Studies – 1||Society, Environment and Design|
|Culture and Design Studies||Craft Design Studies – 2|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Information Collection and Analysis||Digital Design Tools – Film Media|
|Design Processes and Thinking||Sketching and Drawing – 3|
|Introduction to Graphic Design||Pre-Visualization Techniques|
|Introduction to User Experience Design||Story Telling for Visual Media|
|Introduction to Design for Moving Images||Fundamentals of Animation and Video Film Design|
|–||Basics of Classical Animation|
|SEMESTER 5||SEMESTER 6|
|Pre-production Design for Animation||Animation Film Production : Stop Motion|
|Classical Animation Techniques||Post Production for Animation|
|Pre-visualization Techniques for Animation||Animation Film Project – 1|
|Production Art Design for Animation||Animation Film Project – 2|
|Animation Film Production : 3D||–|
|Inter Discipline Elective – 1||–|
|SEMESTER 7||SEMESTER 8|
|Design Management||Degree Project|
|Design Internship Presentation||–|
|Animation Film Project – 3||–|
|Animation Film Project – 4||–|
Top colleges for BDes in Animation in India
|Chitkara University, Punjab||INR 7,30,000|
|Karnavati University, Gujarat||INR 4,50,000|
|Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||INR 1,30,000|
|ITM University, Gwalior||INR 2,60,000|
|Maharishi University of Information Technology, Uttar Pradesh||INR 5,60,000|
|Apex Professional University, Arunachal Pradesh||INR 1,52,000|
|United World Institute of Design, Gujarat||INR 18,00,000|
|MIT Art, Design and Technology, Maharashtra||INR 15,68,000|
|Virtual Voyage College of Design, Media, Art and Management, Madhya Pradesh||INR 2,88,000|
|International School of Design, Maharashtra||INR 5,04,000|
|Bangalore Central University, Karnataka||INR 20,328|
|NID, Ahmedabad||INR 12,86,600|
|World University of Design, Sonepat||INR 9,45,000|
|Shri Vaishnav Vidyapeeth Vishwavidyalaya, Indore||INR 2,46,000|
|Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj University, Navi Mumbai||INR 2,91,000|
Top colleges for BDes in Animation in States
The field of animation is vast, with numerous job opportunities. As a result, it appears that a B.Des in Animation has a bright future. The top B.Des in Animation colleges in each state are listed below:
|B.Des in Animation Colleges in Maharashtra||B.Des in Animation Colleges in Haryana|
|B.Des in Animation Colleges in Punjab||B.Des in Animation Colleges in Gujarat|
|B.Des in Animation Colleges in Karnataka||B.Des in Animation Colleges in Rajasthan|
|B.Des in Animation Colleges in Tamil Nadu||–|
Skills Required for B.Des in Animation
Students who have a creative mindset and are interested in learning more about animation and its design patterns typically pursue a B.Des Animation degree. Students with some basic skills in B.Des Animation, on the other hand, can shine and show more growth in their careers, as listed below:
- Artistic skills
- High imaginative skills
- Knowledge of design
- Animation skills
- Innovative mindset
Job Profiles and Salary in BDes Animation
Graduates of the Bachelor of Design Animation programme have the opportunity to work for top animation studios. Animators are the most creative people who use their innovative minds to create various animation characters by incorporating various tools and techniques.
Freshmen graduating from the Bachelor of Design Animation programme can expect to earn around Rs. 25,000 per month as a starting salary, implying that the average package for students will be Rs. 3.0 lakhs per year, depending on the college they attend and the company where they are placed. However, as B.Des in Animation graduates gain experience, their pay package grows. Students can use the table below to see the various salary packages available to B.Des in Animation graduates with various years of experience.
B.Des Animation graduate student’s career options are listed below in the table:
|Animator||INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Art Director||INR 5,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Flash Animator||INT 3,00,000 to INR 3,50,000|
|3D Animator||INR 2,00,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Industrial Designer||INR 6,72,300|
Following is a list of some of the most popular recruiters after completing the BDes Animation course:
- Fashion Accessory Design
- Garment Manufacturing Unit
- Design Production Management
- Furniture Manufacturing Units & Accessories
- Shopping Malls
- Fashion Marketing
- Corporate Houses
- Fashion Show Management
- Fashion Media
Scope of BDes Animation
A BDes Animation graduate student’s career options are listed below.
- With the growing popularity of animated films and games, this generation’s youth are gravitating toward the animation field, which combines creativity and entertainment.
- Animators are hired by various production houses and top animation industries to design new animation creatures, which generally requires high levels of creativity and innovation.
- Graduates of the BDes Animation programme have a variety of job opportunities with top animation companies, and many choose to work as freelancers because this field has a lot of room for advancement.
- Furthermore, animation is no longer limited to movies and marketing; it now plays a significant role in gaming as well.
- The BDes Animation course is also useful for further education.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, because animation is one of the most innovative fields with numerous career opportunities, as today’s youth are completely reliant on gaming apps and animated films. As a result, BDes in Animation graduates have a lot of options because there are a lot of animation companies in India and abroad that offer jobs with various profiles.
No, taking a design entrance exam is not required for admission to the BDes in Animation programme. Many colleges also offer merit-based admissions.
BDes in Animation graduates can expect to earn between Rs. 25,000 and Rs. 40,000 per month as a starting salary. However, students’ salaries are determined by their academic performance, the college they attend, and the company they work for.
A B.Sc. in Animation will focus on the technical aspects of animation, whereas a BDes will focus on the creative aspects of animation. Both are equally important and intertwined, but it is up to the individual to decide which of the two interests him or her more.
Students should brush up on their English skills, as well as their numerical, logical, and reasoning abilities. Students must also understand simple and complex 2D and 3D geometric shapes, as well as their graphical representation. Students can use previous year’s question papers as a guide and take mock tests to improve time management and learn about exam question patterns. Candidates can also consult a variety of guide books written by well-known authors that are available on the market.