Basic Teachers Course: The NCTE, Government of India, recognises the Basic Training Certificate as a two-year certificate level education course. BTC is a mandatory training certificate for those who want to teach in government primary schools. The primary goal of the programme is to train teachers to teach primary school.
Table of Contents
Overview of Basic Teachers Course
The table summarises the course’s main points:
|Name of Course||BTC|
|Full-form||Basic Teachers Course|
|Duration of Course||2 year|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2/Bachelor’s Degree|
|Process of Admission||Entrance Exam/Merit list|
|Course fee||INR 1,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||Govt/Private School, Publishers, Coaching Centres|
|Job possibilities||Teacher/Lecturer/Writer/Counsellor/School Advisor/Private Tutor, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 2,41,411|
Basic Teachers Course: Introduction
- This is a type of training/practicum for future teachers.
- The course assists in the development of the necessary skills, attitudes, and behaviour as an Ideal Teacher.
- The course lasts two years and is designed by NCTE and the state government to impose certain rules and policies on aspirants in order to make them effective teachers.
- The noblest job is that of a teacher, and the course curriculum prepares candidates for it.
- The Basic Teachers Course covers topics such as teaching principles, teaching methods, ethics, child development, health education, moral education, and student evaluation.
Eligibility Criteria for Basic Teachers Course
The NCTE and the state government determine the eligibility criteria for the Basic Teachers Course.
- Candidates must have completed their 10+2 education with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognised university (cutoffs vary by college/state).
- Bachelor’s degree holders are also eligible to apply.
- The candidate must be at least 18 years old and no older than 30/35 years old.
- A strong aptitude for teaching will be advantageous.
- Working teachers who want to improve their skills are also encouraged to apply.
Admission Process for Basic Teachers Course
The admission process for the Basic Teachers Course varies by college.
- The selection process is based on a merit list.
- NCTE holds an entrance examination with some rules. Following the exam, there is also an interview process.
- You will be eligible for the course if you pass the exam/interview.
- They also follow direct admissions or donation-based admissions in some institutions.
Benefits of Pursuing Basic Teachers Course
The Basic Teachers Course is a two-year training programme for future teachers.
- Practical experience enhances teaching abilities.
- Having a certificate in Basic Teachers Course increases your chances of getting a job in a government school.
- It aids in the development of qualities such as patience, confidence, compassion, understanding, unbiased/open-mindedness, and so on.
- Being a teacher is a prestigious job that provides immeasurable satisfaction and peace of mind.
- Participating in the formation of the nation.
- You are a role model for your classmates.
Syllabus for Basic Teachers Course
The syllabus covers all aspects of a teacher’s development.
|1st Year||2nd Year|
|Teaching methods/Principles||Evaluation of education/management of school/health and community education|
|Child Development in terms of psychology||Learning practical aspects of teaching/language study/mathematics/general science/social science/environment science|
|Social science/environment science/mathematics/language study||Cognitive development|
|Cognitive development through art/music/moral education/physical education||Internship|
Recommended Books for Basic Teachers Course
Here is the list of some good books given for Basic Teachers Course:
|Child Development & Pedagogy||Arihant Publications|
|Child Development & Pedagogy||Disha Publications|
|Mathematics Book||R. D. Sharma|
|English Grammar Book||Wren & Martin by S. Chan’s Publications|
Top Colleges for Basic Teachers Course
The table below contains a list of top colleges in India that offer Teaching programmes:
|College Name||Location||Course Fee||Average Package|
|Bhagawan Buddha Primary Teachers Education College||Siwan||INR 65,000||INR 2,00,000|
|Bhagawati Education Centre Degree College||Kanpur||INR 50,000||–|
|District Institute of Education and Training||Dehradun||INR 9,200||–|
|Rama College of Education||Meerut||–||INR 1,50,000|
|Swami Vivekananda College||Jaipur||INR 35,000||INR 3,25,000|
|Indraprastha Institute of Education and Management||Ghaziabad||INR 82,000||–|
|R. P. (PG) College (RPPGC)||Bareilly||–||–|
|Adarsh College of Education||Himachal Pradesh||INR 36,000||INR 1,90,000|
Distance Education for Basic Teachers Course
- Distance education has become an effective way to do an equal job while saving resources due to technological advancements and a lack of time.
- You don’t have to worry about getting to college on time because you can learn the same course digitally.
- The course materials are delivered to your home. You learn at your own pace from the comfort of your own home. You save valuable resources such as time and money.
- If you have any doubts, you can send a query to your guide and receive a response within minutes/hours.
- This teaches you how to be creative/imaginative/playful with your future students.
|College/Institute/Online Platforms||Course Duration||Course Fee|
|IGNOU||6 Months-1.6 Years||INR 4,000|
|Asian College of teachers||8 Months||INR 22,000|
|AP Teachers Training Institute||–||INR 10,000|
Job Profiles and Career Opportunities in Basic Teachers Course
Candidates who complete the Basic Training Course are eligible to teach in primary schools. Some candidates may also be able to work as private tutors or open their own coaching centre.
Teachers, content writers, professional trainers, executive trainee recruiters, training coordinators, front office coordinators, and other positions are available to BTC holders.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Govt Teacher||Teachership in government schools||INR 2,81,821|
|Private Teacher||Teachership in private colleges||INR 2,00,000|
|Write/Editor||Someone who writes original novel/stories or edits someone else’s work.||INR 3,10,178|
|School Principal||Head of School||INR 5,97,642|
|Counsellor||Counselling school or student||INR 2,96,939|
|Private Tutor||Tutoring/teaching at a coaching centre||INR 8,15,661|
|School Education Manager||Someone in charge of the school’s educational process or other school-related activities.||INR 2,86,240|
Future Scope in Basic Teachers Course
The Basic Teachers Course certifies you as a teacher. Your future opportunities will only expand as you gain teaching experience.
- Candidates are confirmed as eligible teachers after completing the Basic Teachers Course.
- There are numerous future opportunities available after completing the course, including secure jobs with good pay, increased chances of advancement, and jobs even after retirement. Private employment with no age restrictions, Teacherpreneurship (Tutor/Coach), Academic Counsellor, Advisor, etc.
- Candidates may also choose to further their education by pursuing a BEd, MEd, or PhD, or to enter the management field by pursuing a PGDM or MBA.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. B. El. Ed. is a two-year Diploma in Elementary Education programme that prepares candidates to teach. BCT is a two-year Basic Teachers Course that focuses on teacher training.
Ans. The Basic Teachers Course will help you advance in your teaching career. It improves the chances of getting good-paying jobs in government schools.
Ans. Qualities such as patience, objectivity, compassion, kindness, discipline, confidence, understanding, and a high endurance capacity make you an ideal teacher.
Ans. Begin early. Understand the course syllabus and exam pattern. Gather the necessary materials. Examine and revise. Don’t forget to run practise tests.