BTech Silk Technique is concerned with the technology of generating silk from a variety of resources, including caterpillars as well as other artificial silk source materials, as well as diverse compounds. It is a four-year bachelor’s programme in which candidates are taught the art of artificial production of silkworms. Learners discover the fabric’s qualities, fabrication method, coloring and preparing the material, and lastly, how to turn it into a completed object for sale during the curriculum.
The most important requirement for the BTech Silk Technology degree is a 10+2 schooling in Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry with a minimum of 50%–60% cumulative. The typical annual price ranges from INR 50,000 to INR 5,000. Students can work as production engineers, head plant managers, project managers, procurement and regulation quality managers, professors, plant designers, and head chemical engineers after completing the BTech Silk Technology programme.
Admission Open For
- LPU University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- Manav Rachna University 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
- MIT Pune 2022 Application Open. Apply Now >
Admission Procedure BTech Silk Technology
What is the procedure for applying?
- For approval of the registration form, go to the university/official institution ‘s website or the preferred institution’s office.
- Fill in the blanks with your basic information.
- Create a new username and password and log in.
- Complete the registration form with all of the required information.
- Scan and submit documents such as transcripts, certificates, and legitimate admissions test results.
- In the situation of an offline registration, enclose papers such as a copy of the marksheets, a certificate, and a scoresheet with the registration form and mail it to the actual address.
- Check the specifics.
- The registration cost must be paid.
- Keep a copy of the completed form and the fee receipt for reference in the future.
Eligibility BTech Silk Technology Engineering
The following are the minimal entrance requirements for the B.Tech Atmospheric Sciences programme:
- A minimum cumulative score of 40% to 50% in 10+2 examination from a recognised board is required.
- Aspirants from the SC/ST category are eligible for a 5% reduction in their overall score.
- Students who are awaiting the results of their senior secondary examinations are also eligible to apply.
Course Overview for BTech Silk Technology
|Name of the course||Bachelor of Technology in Silk Technology|
|Duration||4 years, Full-time|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Physics, Mathematics, and chemistry with at least 50% – 60% aggregate|
|Admission Process||JEE-Mains/direct admission in some cases|
|Average Course Fee||INR 260,000 to 600,000|
|Average Salary||INR 300,000 to 600,000|
|Top recruiting companies||Mysore Silk Factory, Grasim Industries, Silk Mark, Fabindia, Bombay Dying, JCT Limited,Arvind Mills, Lakshmi Mills, Gujrat Ambuja, Bodycare, Reid and Taylor, Starling Silk Mills ,Siyarams, Vardhman Textiles,etc.|
What is it about the Course in BTech Silk Technology
Textile technology includes silk technology, which is a subset of textile innovation. A bachelor’s degree in silk technology is a four-year undergraduate engineering programme in which students acquire silk production technologies. Silk is a naturally occurring protein fiber that may be woven into textiles. The mulberry silkworm produces around 90% of all silk. These B.Tech programmes will teach you regarding silk production, silk fiber handling, yarn manufacture, fabric production, coloring, and finally products completion. You’ll also discover the artificial procedures used to produce silk.
Bachelor of Technology in Silk is a protein fiber that is comprised of two sections: fibroin and sericin. Fibroin is the interior component of a silk fiber that has a sericin exterior layer. Fibroin is the major component that gives silk fibre its resilience and luster. Sericin is a more unstructured protein, which is why it has a dull appearance. As a result, it is dissolved before any other step by the hydrolysis process.
Why should you pursue a BTech in Silk Technology?
- The BTech Silk Technology programme focuses on silk production technology and methods.
- It is a four-year undergraduate programme in which candidates study about silk production, silk fibre treatment, yarn manufacture, fabric production, colouring, and final completion.
- Silk Technique is an area of textile engineering that focuses with the technology of manufacturing silk from a range of producers, including caterpillars and other synthetic inputs of silk, as well as various chemicals.
- Even during BTech Silk Technology programme, candidates learn about fabric qualities, manufacturing processes, dyeing and processing the material, and transforming it into a final product that is prepared for the market.
The objectives of every person will determine the goal of obtaining a BTech Silk Technology Degree. The following are a few reasons why individuals should choose this curriculum:
- Silk Technology Engineering is a well-known industry, with many employment openings available right away for qualified graduates. It is among the most recent and well-known engineering departments. Any student who is passionate about excelling in the area of silk technology can soon find success and a lucrative pay.
- For both private and governmental enterprises, average package for BTech Silk Technologies students are on the higher side. Spinner, weaving, weaving, chemical processing, man-made fibre handling, textile testing, fabric production, and quality control are all jobs that these students do.
- Employment options: A BTech Silk Technology student can choose from a wide range of job alternatives. There are numerous educational programmes available, ranging from law to managing to competitive exams for employment in the public or private sector.
Exams to Take to Get into a B.Tech in Silk Technology
Several institutions administer engineering entrance exams, while others admit students based on their grades in the 12th grade. The top six engineering entrance tests for admission to India’s best engineering institutes are listed here.
- JEE Advanced – Joint Entrance Examinations (JEE) Advanced is a nationwide engineering entry requirement held by 7 Regional IITs to provide entrance to major engineering schools such as IITs and ISM. Candidates who have finished or are currently enrolled in a science 12th grade can take this examination, but they must first pass the JEE main admission test. Each year, around the middle of May, an online version of this test is administered. There will be two papers in this paper, each with a three-hour time limit. The first and second papers will be given on the same day, with a 2.5-hour break in between. Year after year, the JEE Advanced exam format changes, thus you should be prepared for any scenario.
- JEE Main: Exams for Joint Admissions NTA administers the Main, an engineering admissions test (National testing agency). This test is a prerequisite for the JEE Advanced. Students will get admitted to top level engineering institutes in India, such as NITs and other state institutes of technology, depending on your JEE main score.
- VITEEE- The Vellore Institute of Technology administers the Vellore Institute of Technology Admissions Test. This is a university-level entrance exam that allows you to get admission to all VIT campuses. It takes place in mid-April and is solely available online. In the 150 minutes allotted, you will have to answer 125 questions.
- BITSAT- The Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) admission examination is a b.tech entry requirement for BITS Pilani, Hyderabad, and Goa institutions.
- SRMJEEE- SRM University’s nationwide admissions test, which is required for entrance to all of SRM’s campuses.
- MET- The Manipal Academy of Higher Education (formerly known as Manipal University) administers the Manipal admissions test to select students for Manipal Academy of Higher Education’s 16 engineering programmes. This examination is given once a year in an online format.
Best Colleges for BTech Silk Technology
In India, several institutions provide this education. The following are among the best institutions that offer this programme:
|Top Colleges||City||Average Annual fees|
|Visvesvaraya Technological University, Bengaluru||Bengaluru||28,500 INR|
|Government Sri Krishnarajendra Silver Jubilee Technological Institute, Bengaluru||Bengaluru||25,000 INR|
|Bihar Institute of Silk and Textile||Bihar||40,000 INR|
|Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Lucknow||Lucknow||66,100 INR|
Syllabus for BTech Silk Technology
The following is a semester-by-semester overview of the disciplines covered in BTech Silk Curriculum:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Silk Reeling Technology||Apparel Marketing & Merchandising|
|Engineering Physics||Computer Concepts & Programming|
|Engineering Chemistry||Professional Communication|
|Electronics Engineering||Knitting Technology|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Fibre Science & Technology||Yarn Manufacturing|
|Textile Chemical Processing||Fabric Manufacturing|
|Engineering Economics/Organizational Behavior||Skill Project|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Human Resources Management||Production Management|
|C++ & Object-Oriented Programming||Theory of Textile Structure|
|Testing of Textile Materials||High-Performance FIbres/|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Textile Composites||Manufacturing of Specialty Yarn|
|Manufacturing of Specialty Textiles||Apparel Technology|
|Advanced Chemical Processing||Project|
Recomended Books for BTech Silk Technology Course
The following are amongst the most important reference books:
|Name Of The Book||Author|
|Physics for Technologists||Thiruvadigal J. D, Ponnusamy S|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics||Erwin Kreyszig, John Wiley and Sons|
|Hand Book of Silk Technology||Tammanna N Sonwalkar|
|Wild Silk Technology||R. K. & Sathe T. V. Kavane|
B.Tech in Silk Technology: Career Prospects
You can pursue higher education such as M.Tech or Ph.D. after finishing your B.tech in silk technology. If you want to learn more about research. If you want to work in any field right after finishing your B.tech in silk technology. Depending on your information and expertise, you may be able to find work in one of the numerous profiles described below.
- Industrial engineer
- Quality control engineer
- Technical Sales manager
- Quality assurance manager
- Mill management
- Operations Trainee
- Process engineer
- Textile manager
Many reputable companies hire freshers just after they finish their b.tech in silk technology. The following is a collection of some of the most well-known silk brands.
- Mysore Silk Factory
- Silk Mark
- Starling Silk Mills
- National Textile Corporation Limited (NTCL)
- National Handloom Development Corporation Limited (NHDC)
- Grasim Industries
- Bombay Dyeing
- Arvind Mills
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Mills
- Gujrat Ambuja, Reid and Taylor,
- Vardhman Textiles
- Welspun India Limited, etc.
Silk technology is an area of textile technology with a lot of research potential. The qualities of silk, as well as the crystallization process that makes silk so light, strong, and lustrous, have been researched by scientists. They’ve designed fibers like silky rayon, which have identical qualities but lack the strength of viscose rayon. The strength of spider silk is five times that of steel of the same diameter. A single pencil-width thread, according to the expert, could stop a Boeing 747 in mid-flight. Spider silk is nearly as tough as Kevlar, the most durable man-made material. Researchers and scientists have yet to synthesize a spider silk-like fabric. In the research and innovation of synthetic fibers resembling silk, particularly spider silk, there is a significant possibility. You can continue your education and get an M.tech. or a Ph.D. After that, you can apply for a position as a lecturer/professor or a research scientist.
The numerous career opportunities for students of the BTech Silk Technology programme are listed below, along with the annual pay per annum.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Mill Manager||INR 4 LPA|
|Industrial Engineer||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Quality Control Engineer||INR 5 LPA|
|Process Engineer||INR 3.8 LPA|
|Operations Trainee||INR 4.5 LPA|
Salary Structure in B.Tech in Silk Technology
The student’s starting compensation is determined by his or her expertise, skill, and the sort of work for which he or she has been chosen. In the sector, a student in silk technology can expect to earn between 2.5 and 10 l.p.a. as a beginning wage. The following table shows the average median income history and location for those employed in the textile business.
|Designation||Years of Experience||Salary Figures|
|Clothing and Textile Technologist||Fresher||INR 2.5 lakhs p.a. – INR 4.5 lakhs p.a.|
|Silk Engineer /Textile Process Engineer||3 yrs. – 5 yrs.||INR 4lakhs p.a. – INR 5.5 lakhs p.a.|
|Textile Designer||3 yrs. – 6 yrs.||INR 4 lakhs p.a. – INR 8 lakhs p.a.|
|Silk/Textile Manufacturer||4 yrs. – 5 yrs.||INR 6 lakhs p.a. – INR 7 lakhs p.a.|
|Silk/ Textile Quality Control||3 yrs. – 5 yrs.||INR 5.5 lakhs p.a. – INR 7 lakhs p.a.|
Several individuals make more money than this, while others make less. As a result, it is entirely dependent on the student’s training and expertise set.
Future Scope in B.Tech in Silk Technology
The silk sector is a significant sector of the textile industry, accounting for around 18% of global silk output. Since it is a costly process, it is a highly pricey fiber. Rayon fibers, such as viscose, are used as a replacement for natural silk. One can work in the textile sector, silk production industry, fashion, and garment industry after obtaining a b.tech in silk technology. Because spider silk is such a strong fiber, there is a significant opportunity to undergo and create synthetic silk with similar qualities. You can get your M.E. or M.Tech, then get your Ph.D. and work in research. You are now qualified to work as a lecturer, professor, or postdoctoral researcher.
FAQ’s for B.Tech in Silk Technology
Institutions and universities determine direct admissions. Some institutions offer enrollment without the need for an entrance exam, instead of relying on the student’s merit scores from prior higher education.
Silk Technology is a discipline of textile engineering concerned with the technology of manufacturing silk from a variety of sources, including caterpillars as well as other synthetic sources of silk, as well as a variety of compounds.
JEE Main, BITSAT, SRMJEEE, and other entrance tests are held for admission to BTech Silk Technology.
Only a couple of institutions accept individuals on the basis of merit, and only a few institutions and colleges hold their own admissions tests. Students are encouraged to visit the institution’s online site to know more about the admissions process.