Tips on how to prepare for the National Institute of Fashion Technology has been provided here, NIFT was established in the year 1986 under the aegis of the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. It is an institution of design, management, and technology for the international fashion business.
It offers the following courses :
- Fashion Design
- Leather Design
- Accessory Design
- Textile Design
- Knitwear Design
- Fashion Communication
Here are the tips you can follow to prepare for NIFT exam.
- Candidate should have passed 10+2 from a recognised board.
- Candidate should have a 2-3 year diploma from a recognised institute.
For its admission procedure, it conducts entrance exam every year in the month of January. The entrance exam is considered hard and it requires a little hard work to qualify the exam.
Pattern and Syllabus
Two entrance exams are there: Written and online called
- General Ability Test (GAT)
- Creative Ability Test (CAT)
After clearing these two tests, candidates are then called for a Situation Test (ST). The weightage of the exams is as follows :
|Bachelor of Design||CAT||50%|
|Bachelor of Design||GAT||30%|
|Bachelor of Design||Situation Test||20%|
|Master of Design||CAT||40%|
|Master of Design||GAT||30%|
|Master of Design||GD/PI||30%|
|Bachelor of Fashion Technology||GAT||100%|
|Master of Fashion Technology||GAT||70%|
|Master of Fashion Technology||GD/PI||30%|
|Master of Fashion Management||GAT||70%|
|Master of Fashion Management||GD/PI||30%|
- Quantitative Ability
- Communication Ability
- English Comprehension
- Analytical Ability
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- This test basically is about testing the intuition skill, power of observation, innovation in the development of a concept and design ability of the candidate.
In this test, students are tested on the bases Space Visualization, Innovative and creative use of given material, the composition of elements, colour scheme, construction skill, the finesse of the model and overall presentation etc. You have to write about the given topic in English with sketches and creativity.
How to Prepare for NIFT?
- Master your skills. Think out of the box and create something different.
- After understanding the syllabus and pattern of the exam completely, one needs to focus on practice.
- Practice the sketches and drawings as much as you can. Try giving yourself tasks every day on a different topic and use your own thoughts and creativity to draw something different and new.
- Keep giving yourself new tasks every day.
- Take the help of the internet. Browse through a ton of different ideas and then shortlist a few of them. Draw something new and innovative on the basis of the shortlisted design.
- You can always go looking for newspapers and magazines and choose your favorite designs. Observe them and try to understand the pattern of the design. Understand how it has been made and what idea must have tricked the artist to make something like that.
- Always try to avoid erasing the sketch. Try making your lines perfectly without using anything but your hands.
Things to Pay Attention
- Pay attention to the details because, in the end, detailing is what defines the quality of work.
- Pay attention to human illustration so that you can have a better idea of what kind of clothes suits the person according to his/her body structure.
- Calligraphy is something which will help you too. After a perfect sketch, what catches the eyes of the viewer is the font and specifications of the work. Try writing them in as many styles as you can.
- Try to give your hand a little more flexibility every day.
- Always start with a rough sketch. Slowly start detailing and highlighting the things. Work your way in through the boundaries or outlines and then come to the main part of the sketch.
- For entrance exam, you need to focus on Mathematics, English and Logical reasoning. For GK, stick to everyday news and stay aware of what’s happening around you. Read newspapers on a daily basis.
- Go through the previous year question papers of GAT and try solving them. Increase your speed and know your weak points. Practice more according to the allotted time.
- Work more and more on your weak points everyday.
- Stay aware with the updates to NIFT website https://nift.ac.in
- Fashion designing is all about art and creativity. If you have got skills, you are on the way to become a great Fashion Designer.
- Make your skills better everyday and don’t follow others. Browse, research, understand, learn and then create.
- Create your own masterpiece with your creativity and thinking skills.